Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Glazius posted:

Wait, does Darwin join you after you beat the Cyclops? That wasn't the strong monster he was talking about, was it?

Yeah, he shows up after you beat one strong monster so that he can go with you to beat a stronger monster.

TKMobile posted:

Also, where'd Darwin get the sword and armor? Were those drops or did you backtrack to a town?

Went back to town after the Return Ring. You don't really get drops as such, and all treasures in the first three chapters are consumables of one variety or another. You don't start getting equipment in treasure chests until more than 3/4 of the way through the game.

Getsuya posted:

and when you level up they just tell you 'all the stats increased!' instead of actually showing you the numbers for each stat that went up.

It actually does show you how each stat went up, but given the tiny size of the text box it'd be about three screenshots to capture a single level up.

Working on Update 5, probably today or tomorrow depending. This game is actually surprisingly short, albeit with a LOT of dungeon crawling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Aw yiss! I played the poo poo out of Arcana as a kid, and still fire it up on the emulator every once in a while. Probably the SNES RPG I played the most other than FF4/6. Was a lot harder than most other games I remember. I'll have to catch up on the LP but I just wanted to post that I am excite for this! :swoon:

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 5

"Now this is interesting… where did you come from, little guy?"

"Rooks, shouldn't we be a bit more careful? Isn't that…?"

"Yeah, he doesn't look friendly at all. Darwin, is this the strong monster you were talking about?"

"Maybe? It's not like the people telling stories about it drew a picture."

"Thanks Sylph. Anything else you can do?"

"My lightning will not harm him. The best I can do is…"

"DUCK!"

"Huh?"

"Okay, that kind of hurt a bit."

"I think that I can see why nobody who got a good look at this thing made it back."

"Wait, do elemental spirits even sleep?"

"I think that would be a 'no.'"

"Oh for the love of..."

"Do I have to do everything around here? I just wish I'd kept one back from fighting the cyclops..."

"Or not."

"Be careful, if your head swells up anymore then as a healer I'm going to have to lance it."

"So instead of 'if you can't beat them, join them' it's a case of 'if they beat you, join them'?"

"Don't ask me, I only barely know how these things work."

"Did you somehow miss the thing that literally just happened?"

"Hey, leave me alone! There's a lot of reasons it could have been after us and not other people!"

"Oh, you mean now that we've fought the dangerous monster you were worried about it's time to go on your own?"

"Well, you do have a tendency to head back to the inn whenever you get tired and explore every little nook and cranny on the way to your destination."

"Fine. Weapon and armor, then."

"Wait, what?"

"Yeah, what she said."

"I paid for those out of my pocket, and this isn't a charity. If you want to go on your own, you leave with what you had when you came in… nothing."

"Well, if that's the way it has to be…I'll see you again if there's a chance."

Before we move on, let's take a look at our new ally. Efrite (Ifrit) is a good bit tougher than Sylph, but as of right now can't do nearly as many things. Stomp All is his best spell, since it boosts the attack of the entire party. Other than that, he's just a slightly tougher fighter.

As a note, elemental spirits actually regenerate HP and MP with every step or movement you make. It hasn't really come up before, but you might have noticed it if you were paying close attention to the screen shots. This makes them a good bit more durable than their paper thin defenses would seem.

"Did we get turned around?"

"Nope, it's just a REALLY big forest."

"And someone conveniently left us a tent in case we were tired."

"Slow down there, Rooks. Not that tired yet."

"Why do all the women I travel with say things like that?"

"Because we're all evidently not idiots."

"Do the plants here look kind of… different here?"

"Well, the man eating plants are definitely new… if it makes you feel any better, the bees are the same."

"It actually doesn't."

"Who is it? I'm busy!"

"Too busy for an old friend?"

"Oh, Rooks! it's been a long time! Who is this?"

"I'll just save a lot of trouble and confusion and introduce myself. I'm Salah."

"That would be me."

"Princess, the last I heard your whereabouts were unknown, but I can see now that you're safe. But weren't there twins?"

"First off, she was literally right next door. Secondly, twins? A whole lot of things just started to make sense…"

"I have heard some bad things. I'm sorry."

"Not nearly as sorry as I am."

"No, don't worry about it."

"Sounds great. Efrite, mind the books. Now, about Rimsala..."

"Well, this Evil Empress…well, I don't really know the details, but if you want to defeat Rimsala you need four different kinds of spirits and three kids of Treasures."

"Good news, we're halfway there on that one."

"Umm.. about that last one…"

"These are the only things that can contain the Evil Empress."

"So, just like the ancient legend..."

"We will need someone with the strengths and talents that Fanal had."

"So…only a Card Master can do it?"

"Yeah, it's not like there's one of those sitting in the room with you right now."

"If by 'have' you mean 'know where it's hidden,' yes."

"Eh, close enough."

"Wait, where it's hidden?"

"It's in the Ice Mine."

"Ahh, even the wind can't reach it there."

"Wait, let you see what? How are we supposed to use all of this to stop the Evil Empress?"

"We'll… wait, did one of you leave the door open?"

"Rooks, I'll be taking Salah with me. She doesn't look like she's doing well at all. I wonder how that could have happened…"

"Wait, you jackass! I'm not paralyzed this time!"

"I'm afraid Ariel has already left."

"How fast does he run? Wait, who are you?"

"First apprentice? How many does he have?"

"I… uh…"

"You don't even know, do you? You must have been first chronologically, not first in brains."

"Prepare to meet your doom!"

"You know that he left you behind just to slow you down, right? That he didn't actually expect you to succeed?"

"Sh… shut up!"

"Oh, I'm going to enjoy this. Okay Efrite, you're on the bench. Sylph, come on out!"

"Is that sufficient?"

"Nearly….wait, did he just try to attack me?"

"Quit mocking my best attacks!"

"Seriously, I don't have time for this."

"You haven't… heard.. the last…"

"Yeah, I kind of think I have."

And with that, we end Chapter 2.

Character Update

I took the screen shots for this before going into the final battle of this chapter. You don't really have any warning that you're going to have Zeref show up and have a surprise boss battle, so it's a good place to get a game over if you're not cautious. Older dungeon crawlers reward thoughtful play and caution. Next update: The Ice Mines. Ugh.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
So, what, the princesses are playing out Nasir and Thor's story from Lagoon?

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

The Ice Mines are great, if you enjoy killing troll after troll after troll after troll after troll after...

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

For the curious, this message is actually to show Rooks dodged an attack. :ssh: It's a nice little touch that ddegenha worked it into the narrative.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh man, this game. I loved playing this game.

So happy to see it get your narrative touch, ddegenha.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Invenerable posted:

The Ice Mines are great, if you enjoy killing troll after troll after troll after troll after troll after...

And you should because they are pretty easy and drop a bunch of gold

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

I love Efrite's facial expression :allears:
So displeased

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Poulpe posted:

So displeased

ROOKS, I AM DISAPPOINT

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can we keep any party members? Ever? At all?

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Glazius posted:

Can we keep any party members? Ever? At all?
Not really. Don't get too attached to any of them.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:lol: Stomp All.

That is not only the thing's best spell, but the best named spell name so far.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Can you summon more than one spirit at a time, or are we stuck with a two person party until the next lost princess and/or flighty unequipped warrior comes along?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Can you summon more than one spirit at a time, or are we stuck with a two person party until the next lost princess and/or flighty unequipped warrior comes along?

Just one spirit at a time. You can switch out as a free action in battle using the Call command, and can also switch while walking around in the dungeon.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Poulpe posted:

So displeased
Yeah, I love it, too.

Efreet reminds me of Mister Satan.

C'mon, tell me you don't see the parallels.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I remember this game, but I'm not sure whether I actually played it, or if I just read about it in Nintendo Power. Looking forward to seeing it through.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
There's a funny exploit in this game for free healing. Someone in the thread explained that the elemental spirits recover HP and MP every time you move, this also counts for turning. Combine this with the fact that you don't encounter any monsters on a square with a treasure chest, and you can top yourself off with free healing so long as you spin like a top.

in short: Whoop Whoop Whoop Whoop, Whoop.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 6

"Perhaps he left a note? Such as that piece of paper on the table?"

"Hey, you're right! Oh… his penmanship is terrible."

"The Ice Mine? That's a thing?"

"Are you sure you read it correctly?"

"Either that or ice cream… like I said, his handwriting would make a five year old wince. I guess I can ask around about it and do some shopping."

The shops now have new equipment, and we can actually afford upgrades… well, for Rooks anyway. We don't have any other party members at the moment, but that's a temporary circumstance. As a note, we can't summon an additional spirit to fill out the party either. It's one at a time, although you can switch out in the exploration view and as a free action on Rook's part in battle. The Ice Blade is elemental, but still probably our best option. And what seam mail would be is anyone's guess.

"I guess this has to be it… not like there's any other mines around here… ice or otherwise…"

"It certainly looks like an ice mine. And feels like one."

"You're an elemental spirit… do you really get cold?"

"Well… perhaps not as such, but…"

"You've got to be kidding me. Well, if this is an actual mine that explains what happened to the miners."

Palette swaps, palette swaps as far as the eye can see! And that's only the tip of the iceberg, appropriately enough for where we are. Most of the enemies are either neutral, or at the very least aren't strong against Sylph.

"This… is going to take a while."

We could burn through a Return Ring to go back, but that goes against all my item hoarding principles so Rooks gets to walk back to town.

"Okay, second try… wait, stairs? Progress!"

"I am sure of your eventual success."

"You know, you talk a LOT more when there aren't other people around. I really need to find Axs."

"Oh yes, progress."

"Shouldn't be that hard to find… I mean, how long ago did he even leave?"

So, a word or two about the ice dungeon. It's a huge maze, with multiple stairways and tons of dead ends. There are four sets of stairs down from the entryway, only two of which actually go anywhere.

"I don't have to walk back! And… y'know what Sylph, you're on the bench. Come on out Efrite."

"IT IS COLD HERE. I DISAPPROVE."

"At least that makes sense coming from you."

"IS MY PRESENCE REQUIRED FOR THIS?"

"Not really, but at least you've got a bit more muscle on you than Sylph."

"PLEASE EAT THIS IMMEDIATELY."

"Don't mind if I… wait, what are you trying to say?"

"I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT."

"Oh for the love of… SYLPH!"

Also nearby - a Fire Card and some Medicine, which is a higher grade recovery item.

As a note, I don't actually know if any enemies can petrify you in this game. It's entirely possible Rooks has that spell just for this moment.

"Ugh… oh, thank you, Rooks!"

"That's all right, but… how the hell did you get here? And why were you a statue?"

"I've… uh… kind of got some bad news about her…"

"What? Oh, about her getting kidnapped? Yeah, I know about that that."

"You're not exactly the stealthiest person around. Salah was with him, right?"

"Yes, he will try to retrieve the Enchanted Jewel. I'm worried about how he'll treat Salah, especially once he doesn't think he needs her anymore."

Our new companion joins us at whatever level Rooks is currently at. You can see from his stats that he's a powerhouse on the physical end, but useless at magic. And...

"Wait, did they steal your weapons and armor too?"

"I…guess? Wait, where DID all my stuff go?"

"I trust you, so I won't ask for any promises this time. We'll get you some new stuff next time we head back to town. In the meantime, I think I have a spare shield."

"Okay, that'll help… back to town we go!"

"Seriously, a battle axe and… how did we get two iron shields?"

"Don't ask me, you're the one who was doing the buying."

"Whatever. Anyway, I battle axe and an iron shield pretty stereotypically dwarven. You can just strap the other one on and call it armor."

"You… don't have much luck with companions, do you?"

"You don't know the half of it."

"Another dead end… what was this, a storage room or something? What did they store here?"

"Your guess is as good as mine, but I don't see anything left behind."

"Is this what you've had to deal with the entire time I was a statue?"

"Pretty much, yeah."

"Balls to this. I think I was better off as a statue."

"These things are enough like pigeons that they'd probably have just poo poo on you."

"Still thinking about it."

"How many floors down are we now? I've lost track with all the stairways."

"Three. It's a dwarf thing."

"Yeah, I should have known from the very slight differences on the monsters down here. Rookie mistake."

"You mean a 'Rooks'ie mistake, right?"

"Don't make me stab you."

Yes, those are multiple palette swaps within the same dungeon. I'm coming to understand the love for this game, but they really didn't break the budget on enemy designs.

People have mentioned before, but the enemy cards are actually animated and move through three or four frames.

"Deep ones? Aren't those ocean creatures?"

"Ocean or ice mine, it's still a water thing."

"So do you think these guys are here to clear out the mine, or are they here for Ariel?"

"If they're not asking questions, I'm not either."

"What is with this place!? There's miles of corridors, but they don't lead anywhere."

"Sometimes you end up delving some strange, twisty passageways when you're following a vein of ore."

"I've been meaning to ask about that. When they call this the Ice Mine, did they mine ice here or something else or what? I don't think you get ice out of holes in the ground."

"I wish I could answer that question, but I had no part in this mine."

We're picking up levels steadily adventuring through this place. At level 17 we get some of the keys to actually surviving an extended dungeon crawl. Restoration of Spirit revives a destroyed spirit with full HP and MP, while HP restore is a battle spell for Efrite that restores about 100 HP. Since he regains MP passively, this greatly extends our endurance on dungeon crawls.

"Whoa, those are a couple of big boys."

"The good news is that they crowd out anything else. Just aim for the kneecaps."

Trolls are an encounter in the bottom level of the mine, but they give 100 XP and 220 GP each. They're actually an improvement over most other groups.

Paralyze All is another great crowd control option that can lock down an entire screen full of enemies if you're lucky. Even if you're not, it can still shut down a couple so it's usually worth a try.

Did I mention that this dungeon is freakin' huge? There are three floors, and there's enough treasure that the map I've been using goes all the way through the alphabet and restarts over again with a different case. It's a massive slog that takes literally hours to clear.

"Okay, this is a huge space… this has got to be…"

"Not without some kind of door or other way to keep the riffraff out."

"Alright, screw it. We're going to get a good night's sleep and coming back."

Character Update

At some point I might have cheated and went back to grab Axs some plate mail. Without the ability to use the Ice Blade he lags behind a bit on offense, but he's not constrained by enemy elements. All the honey has helped to keep Rooks competitive even in Strength and Endurance with a dwarf, and his stats are a bit more balanced. Next update: We'll finish this drat dungeon.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

We are the recolor rangers,
We fight when the budget's tight
Even when you're tired of us,
We'll never get out of sight.

: I'm Dave, the Temp.

At least none of the Spirits are recolors right? :stonklol: Right?

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

That picture reminds me of all the times I stabbed myself with syringes in Surgeon Simulator. :catdrugs:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

A dwarf, but with the attributes of a man! That seems like it ought to offend someone. :ohdear:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

SystemLogoff posted:

We are the recolor rangers,
We fight when the budget's tight
Even when you're tired of us,
We'll never get out of sight.

: I'm Dave, the Temp.
That's beautiful :allears:

And I'm pretty sure there are no recolors for the spirits themselves.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Picayune posted:

A dwarf, but with the attributes of a man! That seems like it ought to offend someone. :ohdear:

Not particularly more or less so than the fact that the female party members also had the same attribute. :arghfist::j:

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

vilkacis posted:

Not particularly more or less so than the fact that the female party members also had the same attribute. :arghfist::j:

Actually, you'd never know it except for a single reference in Chapter 4 but Darwin's actually supposed to be an elf. So of our five possible party members, the only one who can be referred to as a man is Rooks. It's a rampant example of humanocentrism.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, the fire spirit is the one that learns a healing spell?

MORE OF A CAUTERIZE SPELL, ACTUALLY.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
We still have a Water and Earth spirit to go, too. Can't wait to see their personalities :allears:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The weirder thing is noting just how fragile the fire spirit is compared to Sylph. You'd think he'd be a physical bruiser, but nope his vitality is atrocious. Granted it doesn't matter that much considering that spirits are innately fragile due to the lack of armor.

Still that is amusing combined with the fact it's the one that learns to heal.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Oh hey, neat. I remember seeing this game in an old EGM cheat code section (dunno if ddegenha is gonna show it off, so I won't mention what it was) and wondering what it was like. Now I get to find out. Awesome.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
One thing I like about this is how the legendary items we're supposed to collect to put the ole thumb down on this evil queen consist of two magic swords and a gem. This is opposed to, a *single* sword, a gem, and some sort of mirror analogue in reference to the Imperial regalia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Regalia_of_Japan) which a crapdillion games reference or use. It has no bearing whatsoever on the plot, but it's amusing.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ugh, the Ice Mine. I hated this part because I really didn't care for Axs, and I was a big time :spergin: completionist and had to step on every square in every dungeon. Yeah.

Also, all-caps Efrite is best Efrite.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 7

Before we head back to the Ice Mine, one update in this chapter is that we can now purchase stat increasing items at the local general store. It's not like we really have the spare cash for this right now, but later on it'll be possible to increase stats significantly.

With Axs along we get to see him tagging along behind Rooks on the way back to the Ice Mine. Unfortunately we can't teleport back and forth between two points, so using the Home spell or a Return Ring is a one way trip and you have to walk all the way back.

"HONEY! But… aww, it's all crystalized!"

"Just means it's crunchy. Like a candy."

"Frozen candy, which… actually, yeah this is pretty amazing. If we could get this out to people on hot days, we'd really have something here."

"There's something… off… about this room."

"It's a trick of perspective. This room is only three times as wide as the doorway down there at the end, but the distance makes it look wider than it is."

"I guess you're the expert on mine design."

"That's right, I am… and if I'm any judge, we've just stumbled into a treasure room."

"There's cards everywhere in here… plus some honey, and a Return Ring. Well, it's not like anybody else is using them."

"That's the spirit, boy. Just like your father."

We've also got a Call Amulet, which functions as a one time random summon of an attack elemental, separate from our normal card spirits. I won't use it for the foreseeable future.

"Aww man… I wish Teefa was here to see this. I'd completely rub her face in it."

It. Just. Goes. On.

"Which way do we go?"

"Doesn't matter. We're going to both ways at some point just to make sure we're not missing any loot."

"I hate it when you're…"

"Ooh, a treasure chest… wait, it's ANOTHER drat return ring."

"How many of those things do you have, anyway?"

"Way too drat many. I think I've got like a half dozen of the things by now."

"…don't look now, but I just looked in this next chest and you've got one more."

"Dammit. Well, at least booze is always useful."

"Aye, I can understand stashing a flask away for later but the rings don't make any sense."

"I think… hey, this is the same design as that other treasure room."

"Looks like it's mostly honey, as far as the eye can see."

"I've got no problem with tha…"

"You've got to be kidding me."

Ice Mine Return Ring Count - 3.

"Want to take a small wager on this being another empty storeroom?"

"I'll just go ahead and give you the money now."

"Ha! Finally got it!"

"That's… wow. I can't even mock you for that at this point. Good job."

"I wasn't kidding about being really bad at magic."

Did I mention that this dungeon is freaking huge? That's just one section. And the reward...

Plus one Return Ring.

"I want a magic spell that'll get me the hours of my life that I spent getting this thing back."

"The hours of your life aren't worth using magic to get them back."

"You're just lucky that it's too cold for me to take Efrite out."

Ice Mine Return Ring Count - 4.

Another treasure trove is right around the corner from our objective, containing a decent supply of cash, some honey, and, as expected...

"…spare me…"

"Ha! Another one, too!"

Ice Mine Return Ring Count - 6.

Continuing on, we get a new recovery item in a chest on the second floor. A tent is pretty much a full party sleeping bag, but it doesn't restore spirits.

"Efrite, if we use this thing you stay outside."

"WILL YOU NOT BE COLD?"

"I'll take being cold over being in a burning tent."

"YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO FEELS COLD."

"Okay, okay, back in the card you go."

"Finally decided to let me back out? You might end up regretting it…"

"Impressive, but we both know that you're not going to attack me."

"Could you pretend that I'm at least a bit threatening?"

"You're at least an extremely quick learner."

"I think this is the last passage we haven't explored. They've got to be down here.. along with all kinds of treasure."

"I'm just hoping that they didn't walk out behind us while we were exploring all the side corridors."

"As long as they don't have a map of the place, they're probably just as lost as we are. We've got time to rest before we explore this last branch."

One home and return trip later...

"That's… a fire hydra. Wow, that's kind of out of place here."

"Looks mean, but I've got just the thing!"

"…I don't think that's how that spell is supposed to work."

"Okay, I'm REALLY bad at magic."

"At this point I'm not sure I trust that heal spell of yours."

"Rooks, look out!"

"Just a… second… late.. nice try, though."

"Sorry. It hurts me worse than it hurts you, if that helps at all."

"Not really. Use your dodging spell and then switch out."

"Done! Now get me out of here!"

"STOMP. STOMP. STOMP."

"Sounds like a plan to me."

"As long as not magic, I'm down with it."

"Is that how it works? Kill a hydra, become a man?"

"I remember fighting alongside Zahan. I've been holding this for you for a moment like this."

"You've had this the entire time, Axs?"

"Aye, just waiting for when I knew you could ha…"

"YOU JACKASS!"

"What?"

"That was a fire elemental. You know what would have been really, really drat useful in that fight we JUST had? A water spirit!"

"Huh… when you put it that way…"

"Whatever. Let's take a look."

"Why hello there, handsome. Just let me know if you need… anything."

"I'm starting to see why you held on to this."

In comparison to the other spirits, Marid is slightly tougher than Efrite, slightly stronger than Sylph, and has more intelligence and alertness than either of them. She comes with a moderately useful buff, a group disabler, and the ability to heal the entire party at once. It's only about 60 HP for everybody, but it's still a good option when your entire party is getting worn down in a dungeon.

"I've got bad memories of another door just like this one."

"Hopefully this'll turn out a bit better. At least you're not starting off by getting stabbed in the back."

"This is where the Enchanted Jewel was hidden."

"Yeah, but it's HOT. In the middle of the Ice Mine. Doesn't that bother you at all?"

"I just chalked it up to magic… and speaking of which, what's that over there?"

"Which means…you!"

"She put up a fight, so I put her to sleep."

"Somehow I think that's not the first time that's happened."

"I've got the Enchanted Jewel, so I'll just be leaving now."

"Rooks! It looks like Salah is fine, like she wasn't wounded all. She was just put to sleep with a magic spell."

"So anything you do is okay as long as it's according to a plan? How low can you go?"

"It's pretty great, isn't it? If I ask again, do you think I could persuade you to join up?"

"You should abandon a plan like that, and the sooner the better!"

"If you thought about what you just said… anyway, the Enchanted Jewel is in my hand and the Crystal Sword as well. It's just a matter of time until the Reforming of the Evil Empress occurs. Too bad for you, Rooks."

"Not if I take the Jewel back by force! And you don't have a traitor rigging the fight from the outset."

"Wait, who the hell are you?"

"All right, Sauza, I'll leave it to you."

"I owe you my life!"

"Another freakin' apprentice? I'm really starting to get annoyed by you guys."

"I've got the princess, Rooks! You can handle him!"

"If the master can't face me, his apprentices are just a bump in the road. Sylph, Efrite, Marid!"

"Is that all he's got?"

"That mask isn't doing him ANY favors. I like a man who's not afraid to show his face."

"I WILL KILL HIM WITH FIRE. AND HEAL YOU WITH FIRE."

"Not sure how that works, but evidently it does."

"Even though Salah wasn't around for the worst of it."

"You've got her back, and that's all that counts. But if she doesn't rest a little…"

"We can't go back. Do you have a place?"

"…I might. I'm not exactly welcome there, but nobody will expect us to go there."

And with that, we end Chapter 3.

Character Update

I'm including Axs because he's going to be in the next chapter. We're actually doing pretty well, and are right on track for the next chapter. We could grind a bit more, but after trying to explore just about every square of the Ice Mine there's no reason to take it further.

Our spirits are also coming along, and you can see the differences between them. On reflection Marid is actually a bit less alert than Ifrit, but she'll pass fairly quickly. The differences between the spirits are pretty wide, and I tend to prefer using Marid just to try and help prevent back attacks. Alertness might factor into it, but even if not then having a party heal spell at hand is never a bad thing. Next update: Tower and Spirit. We'll finally be playing with a full deck.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Considering the paper-thin plot and the translation, this is pretty :laffo:

Also, Marid is getting all :quagmire: on Rooks already, jeez. Slow your roll, babycakes.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

ddegenha posted:

Before we head back to the Ice Mine, one update in this chapter is that we can now purchase stat increasing items at the local general store. It's not like we really have the spare cash for this right now, but later on it'll be possible to increase stats significantly.
The moment I saw how this update started, I knew from the bottom of my heart that Rooks was going to find a way to feed his Honey addiction and just get Honeyed up beyond all belief.

If only you could give honey to spirits!

... Can you?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

The moment I saw how this update started, I knew from the bottom of my heart that Rooks was going to find a way to feed his Honey addiction and just get Honeyed up beyond all belief.

...I'm starting to suspect Rooks is actually a young bear who maxed out his disguise skill.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

... Can you?
I don't remember if you can, but there's little sense in doing so. Strength, Endurance and Intelligence doesn't seem to do much. You get a game over when humans loses all their HP, but not when spirits does, so feeding them HP honey makes no sense. There also is or will be a way for Rooks to spend his MP to restore spirit MP manifold, so if you want more MP for spirits, you're better of increasing Rooks' MP. Only Alertness would make much of a sense to feed to spirits.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Shei-kun posted:

... Can you?

I never actually tried to, so I had to pull up my file and check. Sadly, they're not a valid target for it. Trying to use Honey on them just produces no response at all. Unfortunately, we're STILL too broke for a honey spree.

Bufuman posted:

Oh hey, neat. I remember seeing this game in an old EGM cheat code section (dunno if ddegenha is gonna show it off, so I won't mention what it was) and wondering what it was like. Now I get to find out. Awesome.

If they had a few more cheat codes rather than just the one I'd be tempted to do a bonus update, but there's not much to show off. For the curious, there's a cheat code you can enter on the title screen that allows you to skip directly to a chapter, with a pre-determined amount of levels, gold, and equipment.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TKMobile posted:

...I'm starting to suspect Rooks is actually a young bear who maxed out his disguise skill.

Can you blame him?

Honey is twice as sweet as sugar. Then again, it's also at least twice as bitter as salt.

But the important thing is, if you get hooked, it's nobody else's fault. The people traveling with Rooks need to understand that if they're going to help him with his addiction.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

TKMobile posted:

Speaking of Japanese, for some reason I'm wondering if Salah is supposed to be Sarah, and it was one of those wonky translation errors that crop up from time to time.

Oh, I don't know, that would mean Wagnoll was actually Wagner and Jeru was actually Gel and Manteco was actually Manticore and Ramia....

I think we're lucky they got Sylph right so you didn't have in the top right of your screen a bright yellow woman named "SHELF" for one third of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

MartianAgitator posted:

Oh, I don't know, that would mean Wagnoll was actually Wagner and Jeru was actually Gel and Manteco was actually Manticore and Ramia....

I think we're lucky they got Sylph right so you didn't have in the top right of your screen a bright yellow woman named "SHELF" for one third of the game.

• Locked thread