Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

It's my turn?! If you insist, here's E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy with Concordat and Dryzen. Fancy banner image will take this place when Mico gives me that sweet template.

Edit: Thanks Mico for your sweet template.

EntranceJew fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 14, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

~BonusJew~ returns.
I am 100% okay with the videos being longer because this way they are 50% more anime.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Oh man, EYE is crazy. Good luck showing stuff off in any sort of comprehensible way. Also, fair warning for anyone watching, the first 11 minutes of the above video is just them getting coordinated. The first minute or two is worth watching though, just to see what character creation is sort of like.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I am an idiot and put spaces where they don't belong but EntranceJew is also an idiot because he probably forgot that was there

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Toddy is unstoppable.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Dryzen posted:

I am an idiot and put spaces where they don't belong but EntranceJew is also an idiot because he probably forgot that was there

Actually I left it in because I thought it was amusing, but I got so caught up in mico's
  • sweet
  • template
that I forgot to mention it.

Speaking of:

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
"Hey an EYE LP! Maybe it'll help me figure out what the hell is going on in this game-"
NOPE

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

The majority of us playing is me asking what a button does and EntranceJew complaining about being slow

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Schubalts posted:

Toddy is unstoppable.

Do not stop me, the toddy. Unstoppable anime force.
*game is a total lucksack and that's about it*

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The Steak Justice posted:

"Hey an EYE LP! Maybe it'll help me figure out what the hell is going on in this game-"
NOPE
I have this game sitting in my library since forever and I still don't know if I should instal it :shrug:

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Tin Tim posted:

I have this game sitting in my library since forever and I still don't know if I should instal it :shrug:
do it

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

Tin Tim posted:

don't do it

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Tin Tim posted:

always do it

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

never do it

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

Never don't always not do it. :regd08:

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Possibly do it?

Chilblain
Oct 20, 2012

"You used some rude language towards me."
For that reason alone, I'll drop you into hell.

Tin Tim posted:

I did it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I did it too and it's weird

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I reinstalled it and I'm glad I did. I feel like I have a bit more flexibility in my approaches to things now that I kind of understand how things work. We'll see how long that feeling lasts though.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

The Steak Justice posted:

NOPE

The only thing to learn is that I'm going to break your legs.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I tried playing EYE, had lots of fun but I ended up in a stalemate with the infinitely respawning dudes in like, the second map.

Kobold eBooks fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 16, 2014

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

You can turn down the respawns in the menu, though I heard old version of the game had insane spawn rates.

I personally invested in a cybercloak early and can get away from everything instantly as long as I have energy. Or just walk back into their face with a minigun. Game's weird but rad so far.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

OH SWEET POTATO-Y MOSES IT'S DIVINE CYBER NANCY

Don't tell anybody but I still don't know how to play this game.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
So..does anyone want an effort post about some of the mechanics of E.Y.E.? After playing through it again I feel like I have a pretty good grip on them, at least when it comes to all the stuff your character can do and how to improve those aspects. Also I didn't see one in the game thread (I also didn't look very hard) but it seems like it's needed.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Nobody I know who knows how stuff in EYE works actually wants to explain it and I'm pretty sure I'm ok with it staying like that.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dryzen posted:

Nobody I know who knows how stuff in EYE works actually wants to explain it and I'm pretty sure I'm ok with it staying like that.

This is because nothing in EYE actually works.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Buried alive posted:

So..does anyone want an effort post about some of the mechanics of E.Y.E.? After playing through it again I feel like I have a pretty good grip on them, at least when it comes to all the stuff your character can do and how to improve those aspects. Also I didn't see one in the game thread (I also didn't look very hard) but it seems like it's needed.

I for one am dying to know how this insane game works behind the scenes.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
:frolf:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bathroomrage posted:

I for one am dying to know how this insane game works behind the scenes.

This pretty much. I know you can hack doors but those doors can also hack you.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Screw it, I hate seeing people fail at a game because they just don't know wtf is going on. This one's for you, E-Jew! Fair warning that some of the game becomes slightly less crazy once you understand the features. But only slightly. :siren:Incoming Long-rear end Effort Post:siren:

First thing's first. At char-gen, you might have noticed that you can select from three different genes. These are basically bonuses and penalties that get applied to your starting stats. 30 is apparently normal for the start. Depending on the genes, some stats will wind up better than others. This is really only relevant for the first 10-15 character levels, although it is possible to pick a combination that results in completely boosted stats. Also the "initiate transfusion" button or whatever is a reroll button.

A brief interlude for the HUD, specifically the lower right corner. You'll notice three bars: a red one, a yellow one and a green one. Red is health. It goes down when stuff hits you, and goes up through various healing methods. You die (or "die") if it reaches zero. Yellow is energy. It goes down whenever you run, jump, use cyber powers or use psi powers. It goes up a little when you're just walking around and a lot when you crouch. It sucks if it reaches zero, but you don't suffer any negative effects, you just can't use any of your cool stuff. Green is mental balance. It goes down any time you look at a monster. It goes up in the same way your health does. If it reaches zero you suffer a mental break and get affects that I don't know much about because you can fix them easily by performing maintenance, which is a hotkey and takes a small amount of energy so who gives a crap? The only effect you'll really care about is terror, which drains all of your balance and forces you to look away from the thing you were aiming at.

Anyway, speaking of levels, levels! You gain experience by changing the health of anything around you, including yourself. This means you gain exp for using the med pack on yourself. Why? Who the gently caress knows?! Note that damaging enemies is the primary means of changing health. Every time you gain a level, you get 3 stat points to distribute as you like.

Stats!
Strength: Let's you carry stuff and hit harder. Kind of important as the more equipment you carry, the higher your speed penalty gets and the slower you move. The only way to have 0% penalty is to have light armor and the dual katana weapon only. You can't exit the armory screen (Like the inventory screen, but with stuff in the lower right) if you have no weapons or if your speed penalty is at/over 100%.

Psi force: Everything psi powers. Boosts psi powers and resistance to psi powers. According to the game this also determines the things you can lift, which is why some people are flinging cars around and others can't.

Endurance: Increases HP and resistance to hemoraging hemoragging bleeding, decreases energy consumed while running.

Accuracy: Increases range damage, chance to make the target bleed and reduces accuracy penalty. Which I think means your cross hairs narrow faster.

Hacking: Makes you hack better and defend against hacks better.

Mental balance: Armor for your mind. The green bar in your HUD goes down slower.

Medicine: How well your med kit thingy works. I believe 'chance to cure' relates to broken legs and bleeding, possibly mental affects as well.

Agility: How fast you move and how fast you swing your sword/hammer.

Derived stats:
Super human reflex: Chance to dodge. Hell if I know what's involved, but there's enough attacks that it doesn't seem to matter. I believe that an enemy dodge is what happens when you see the "Bullshit, failed attack!" message pop up. Which is actually kind of accurate. Might apply to thrown objects.
Critical hit: Chance to score critical hits. See above. Definitely applies to thrown objects.
Health: Your health.
Karma: gently caress if I know. Sounds like it might relate to fatal wounds (weakness which impact the player health) which we'll get to later.

Cybertech: This is stuff that you can spend money on which gives you further bonuses. Cyber arms increase strength and give you some arm armor on top of whatever armor you're wearing. Cyber muscles have a bigger bonus to strength. Legs increase speed and jump height. Most cyber upgrades simply have even further bonuses for the thing they're associated with as well as decreasing the cost of any relevant cyber powers. Cyber eyes, for example, reduce the cost of cloaking. No, I don't know how that makes sense either, just go with it. Costs brouzefs (money) to upgrade.

Maintenance: Fixes mental breaks, broken legs and bleeding. Seems to have a chance to restore some health. Note that you cannot regain any mental balance until the mental break is fixed. If what you want is health, use your med kit.

Cyber powers: Stuff that uses energy to provide beneficial effects. You start with sprinting and jumping. Energy does not regenerate if any of these are in use. Tied mostly to stats and the different types of cybertech in terms of making them better. Available at the Medical section of the temple (where you return after each mission). Look for the gear icon. Costs money and generally requires some combination of hacking and endurance to use in the first place.

Psi powers: Also stuff that uses energy to provide beneficial effects. Well, one beneficial effect and then a bunch of other stuff that's hostile in nature. You start with psi polyclone (makes a few clones of yourself that get killed really easily) and alchemy (use on dropped weapons/ammo crates to gain health). Available in the archives at the temple. Look for the greek letter Psi icon. Costs money and generally requires some combination of psi and medicine to use.

Weapons and armor: All of this is configurable at the armory (those big black rectangular things at the start of every mission). Heavier armor provides more protection but also gives a higher speed penalty. Heavier weapons are usually more powerful, but again have a higher speed penalty. If a gun lists 'armor piercing' next to its damage, you want it. Most higher level dudes will die in one shot from anything with that effect. Anything without armor piercing is only good for killing fodder, which after a few levels is more fun to do with a sword anyway. Note that every time you reload, you get rid of all remaining bullets in that clip. Clip size becomes a decent factor as you only have so much space and weight to go around. 10% weight in clips might represent 50 bullets or 500. You don't have to worry about picking up enemy weapons. Any gun they use, you can eventually have access to. Besides, if you haven't unlocked the weapon, you can't pick up more ammo for it at the armory. Also of note is that some guns can be dual wielded with the dual katanas (katana in one hand, gun in the other). Look for a big yellow icon while hovering over the gun that looks like a gun/sword combo. I have not yet figured out what the hell that heat laser thingy that some enemies have is or if it can be used.

Melee is kind of fun, but also kind of dumb. You can hold right click to block bullets if you're not dualing with a gun, but it drains energy and only works in the direction you're facing. Still, it's fun to block bullets as you run up to some dude then kill him with a sword/hammer. Pair with cloaking to make the initial approach easier. Kind of dumb because other than the blocking/cloaking options there's not much depth to it.

Further weapons can be unlocked at the Armory proper in your temple, next to the archives. Look for the gun icon. Generally requires some amount of accuracy and agility to unlock, though some also require endurance, strength and/or psi. Of course you won't be able to acquire all of the new weapons/cyber powers/psi powers without...

Research:
Some of it is activated by finding special items that enemies drop. They appear as silvery/steel brief cases. Note that you will continue to find the drops for a specific part of research even after you've done the research. Costs money. You can spend more to finish it sooner, or spend less to finish it later. Spend less, there's a lot to research and always more cybertech to buy. Some benefits include more unlocks, stat boosts and opening up avenues of further research to get more of the first two things.

Hacking:
Right..you go into your hack menu and select a target. You can possess, hack, destroy or steal. Possess let's you see things through the eyes of your target, and in the case of turrets and NPC bad guys, control them. Hack will turn enemies into friends and open doors. Destroy will damage/destroy enemies (and probably your friends as well) and open doors. Steal will steal all of a target's energy to refill yours. Unless you're really good at hacking, that last one is probably a waste of time as the time spent hacking could be time spent crouching and you'd get full energy anyway.

There are three stats and five actions for hacking. The three stats for each actor (you and the target) are attack, defense and cyberhealth. Pretty self explanatory. The actions are attack, mask, scan, shield and overflow. Performing any of these actions takes time. That time is the main thing that hacking bonuses apply to. Your actions happen faster the better you are at hacking and vice versa. Stats are in the upper right, progress bars are in the lower mid-right. Note that nothing happens until you take the first action.

Attack will reduce your target's health according, in part, to how much defense the target has and how high your attack is. Mask lowers the target's attack by 37. Scan lowers its shields by 36. Shield boosts your shields by 36. Overflow reduces your shields by 22 but boosts your attack by 37. Those numbers are constant, time and starting stats are what hacking bonuses effect. An effective strategy in hacking is to mask the target's attack to 0, then launch attacks while the target is using overflow. Rinse and repeat. Something that's important to note is that hacking is always a two-way connection. This means that if you are terrible enough at hacking, a secured door will hack you back when your attempt fails. Do all doors have AI in this world? Is it just lazy programming? Who knows? There's also an interesting story implication for an enemy we haven't seen yet.

Finally, there's something called 'tentative hacking' I believe this is the automated defense you put up whenever someone attempts to hack you. Basically you know how stuff automatically fights back when you hack it? Any person hacking you will be experiencing the same thing.

Secondary missions:
Doing the campaign unlocks secondary missions where you can replay campaign maps with different objectives, or play in arena maps with objectives at all. Look around the starting area of the temple. It's just outside of Rimanah's office. You can also start a 'temple HQ' game from the main menu to go straight there.

Stuff that can happen to you:
Since it's right there, let's talk about what happens when you get hacked. One effect we've already seen. You get the funny little 'hacked' screen on your hud, energy goes to 0. Fixed by hacking yourself, which is why you show up as a target in the hacking menu. You might also take damage. You might even die instantly. Oh noes! So you're dead. Well, you might only be dead-ish. Each game starts with 8 (9?) 'lives' as it were. When you get killed, you go into a coma and revive on the spot a few seconds later. There's a cybertech to increase the amount of lives you have. They are not reset until you completely run out. When that happens you die and get shoved back into the opening level with the portal, which is some sort of dream I guess (oh god, steer away from story that's where the crazy is) but once you leave you get plopped down back at the beginning of whatever campaign mission you were on.

Bleeding is also a thing that can happen to you. You will lose a fairly significant amount of health over time if you get cut. Fixed with maintenance. Or death, I suppose. But what's the big deal with death? You keep your exp, money and most of your progress, so who cares? Well, when you die you can also get a fatal wound. A fatal wound is basically a penalty that is applied to your stats. There is no limit to how many you can accumulate. They do not ever go away with time. Maintenance does not fix them. They can be fixed, but there's only one way to do it. Research. And research takes money. Lots of money. On the plus side, the penalty seems to only be 1 or 2 at a time, and cybertech bonuses can help offset those penalties, so you can have quite a lot before it becomes a severe issue.

Broken legs make you move slower I think, but it's such a minor issue compared to all the other stuff that I hardly even notice when it happens. Does not seem to stack in any way.

Minor details:
The med kit recharges slow-ish, and only while you have it out. The higher the charge, the more it heals, and it seems to be exponential in nature. One important thing to note is that using it with a charge below 20 can result in an 'overdose' and do damage instead. So if you really had a mind to, you could kill your friends with the med kit.

Most of the crazy comes from the devs trying to shove so many different systems in and having them all work together. And they kind of do. Some of the crazy, though, is in details. For example, there's the sub machine gun. I think it's the HS 0100 or something. It has two fire modes. Full auto and really full auto.

If a turret kills something while you're holding it, you get the exp and money for the kill. Turrets recoil like crazy, but if you can put up with it this is a nice way to save on ammo. Sometimes. Also you can't run.

TLDR: E.Y.E is a crazy-rear end game because it tries to do so much stuff in such a bizarre setting, but once you realize you can cloak, jump through a second story window, shoot a guy on the way in and then cut his friend to pieces as you land before anyone else has figured out what's going on it can get to be pretty fun. Basically, E.Y.E is really close to what you'd get if a videogame was designed by WH40K orcs. It has lots of features because-why-not and seems to work at all based on some sort of voodoo.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 22, 2014

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

:stonk:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Christ.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Buried alive posted:

Screw it, I hate seeing people fail at a game because they just don't know wtf is going on. This one's for you, E-Jew! Fair warning that some of the game becomes slightly less crazy once you understand the features. But only slightly. :siren:Incoming Long-rear end Effort Post:siren:

First thing's first. At char-gen, you might have noticed that you can select from three different genes. These are basically bonuses and penalties that get applied to your starting stats. 30 is apparently normal for the start. Depending on the genes, some stats will wind up better than others. This is really only relevant for the first 10-15 character levels, although it is possible to pick a combination that results in completely boosted stats. Also the "initiate transfusion" button or whatever is a reroll button.

A brief interlude for the HUD, specifically the lower right corner. You'll notice three bars: a red one, a yellow one and a green one. Red is health. It goes down when stuff hits you, and goes up through various healing methods. You die (or "die") if it reaches zero. Yellow is energy. It goes down whenever you run, jump, use cyber powers or use psi powers. It goes up a little when you're just walking around and a lot when you crouch. It sucks if it reaches zero, but you don't suffer any negative effects, you just can't use any of your cool stuff. Green is mental balance. It goes down any time you look at a monster. It goes up in the same way your health does. If it reaches zero you suffer a mental break and get affects that I don't know much about because you can fix them easily by performing maintenance, which is a hotkey and takes a small amount of energy so who gives a crap? The only effect you'll really care about is terror, which drains all of your balance and forces you to look away from the thing you were aiming at.

Anyway, speaking of levels, levels! You gain experience by changing the health of anything around you, including yourself. This means you gain exp for using the med pack on yourself. Why? Who the gently caress knows?! Note that damaging enemies is the primary means of changing health. Every time you gain a level, you get 3 stat points to distribute as you like.

Stats!
Strength: Let's you carry stuff and hit harder. Kind of important as the more equipment you carry, the higher your speed penalty gets and the slower you move. The only way to have 0% penalty is to have light armor and the dual katana weapon only. You can't exit the armory screen (Like the inventory screen, but with stuff in the lower right) if you have no weapons or if your speed penalty is at/over 100%.

Psi force: Everything psi powers. Boosts psi powers and resistance to psi powers. According to the game this also determines the things you can lift, which is why some people are flinging cars around and others can't.

Endurance: Increases HP and resistance to hemoraging hemoragging bleeding, decreases energy consumed while running.

Accuracy: Increases range damage, chance to make the target bleed and reduces accuracy penalty. Which I think means your cross hairs narrow faster.

Hacking: Makes you hack better and defend against hacks better.

Mental balance: Armor for your mind. The green bar in your HUD goes down slower.

Medicine: How well your med kit thingy works. I believe 'chance to cure' relates to broken legs and bleeding, possibly mental affects as well.

Agility: How fast you move and how fast you swing your sword/hammer.

Derived stats:
Super human reflex: Chance to dodge. Hell if I know what's involved, but there's enough attacks that it doesn't seem to matter. I believe that an enemy dodge is what happens when you see the "Bullshit, failed attack!" message pop up. Which is actually kind of accurate. Might apply to thrown objects.
Critical hit: Chance to score critical hits. See above. Definitely applies to thrown objects.
Health: Your health.
Karma: gently caress if I know. Sounds like it might relate to fatal wounds (weakness which impact the player health) which we'll get to later.

Cybertech: This is stuff that you can spend money on which gives you further bonuses. Cyber arms increase strength and give you some arm armor on top of whatever armor you're wearing. Cyber muscles have a bigger bonus to strength. Legs increase speed and jump height. Most cyber upgrades simply have even further bonuses for the thing they're associated with as well as decreasing the cost of any relevant cyber powers. Cyber eyes, for example, reduce the cost of cloaking. No, I don't know how that makes sense either, just go with it. Costs brouzefs (money) to upgrade.

Maintenance: Fixes mental breaks, broken legs and bleeding. Seems to have a chance to restore some health. Note that you cannot regain any mental balance until the mental break is fixed. If what you want is health, use your med kit.

Cyber powers: Stuff that uses energy to provide beneficial effects. You start with sprinting and jumping. Energy does not regenerate if any of these are in use. Tied mostly to stats and the different types of cybertech in terms of making them better. Available at the Medical section of the temple (where you return after each mission). Look for the gear icon. Costs money and generally requires some combination of hacking and endurance to use in the first place.

Psi powers: Also stuff that uses energy to provide beneficial effects. Well, one beneficial effect and then a bunch of other stuff that's hostile in nature. You start with psi ghost (makes a few clones of yourself that get killed really easily) and alchemy (use on dropped weapons/ammo crates to gain health). Available in the archives at the temple. Look for the greek letter Psi icon. Costs money and generally requires some combination of psi and medicine to use.

Weapons and armor: All of this is configurable at the armory (those big black rectangular things at the start of every mission). Heavier armor provides more protection but also gives a higher speed penalty. Heavier weapons are usually more powerful, but again have a higher speed penalty. If a gun lists 'armor piercing' next to its damage, you want it. Most higher level dudes will die in one shot from anything with that effect. Anything without armor piercing is only good for killing fodder, which after a few levels is more fun to do with a sword anyway. Note that every time you reload, you get rid of all remaining bullets in that clip. Clip size becomes a decent factor as you only have so much space and weight to go around. 10% weight in clips might represent 50 bullets or 500. You don't have to worry about picking up enemy weapons. Any gun they use, you can eventually have access to. Besides, if you haven't unlocked the weapon, you can't pick up more ammo for it at the armory. Also of note is that some guns can be dual wielded with the dual katanas (katana in one hand, gun in the other). Look for a big yellow icon while hovering over the gun that looks like a gun/sword combo. I have not yet figured out what the hell that heat laser thingy that some enemies have is or if it can be used.

Melee is kind of fun, but also kind of dumb. You can hold right click to block bullets if you're not dualing with a gun, but it drains energy and only works in the direction you're facing. Still, it's fun to block bullets as you run up to some dude then kill him with a sword/hammer. Pair with cloaking to make the initial approach easier. Kind of dumb because other than the blocking/cloaking options there's not much depth to it.

Further weapons can be unlocked at the Armory proper in your temple, next to the archives. Look for the gun icon. Generally requires some amount of accuracy and agility to unlock, though some also require endurance, strength and/or psi. Of course you won't be able to acquire all of the new weapons/cyber powers/psi powers without...

Research:
Some of it is activated by finding special items that enemies drop. They appear as silvery/steel brief cases. Note that you will continue to find the drops for a specific part of research even after you've done the research. Costs money. You can spend more to finish it sooner, or spend less to finish it later. Spend less, there's a lot to research and always more cybertech to buy. Some benefits include more unlocks, stat boosts and opening up avenues of further research to get more of the first two things.

Hacking:
Right..you go into your hack menu and select a target. You can possess, hack, destroy or steal. Possess let's you see things through the eyes of your target, and in the case of turrets and NPC bad guys, control them. Hack will turn enemies into friends and open doors. Destroy will damage/destroy enemies (and probably your friends as well) and open doors. Steal will steal all of a target's energy to refill yours. Unless you're really good at hacking, that last one is probably a waste of time as the time spent hacking could be time spent crouching and you'd get full energy anyway.

There are three stats and five actions for hacking. The three stats for each actor (you and the target) are attack, defense and cyberhealth. Pretty self explanatory. The actions are attack, mask, scan, shield and overflow. Performing any of these actions takes time. That time is the main thing that hacking bonuses apply to. Your actions happen faster the better you are at hacking and vice versa. Stats are in the upper right, progress bars are in the lower mid-right. Note that nothing happens until you take the first action.

Attack will reduce your target's health according, in part, to how much defense the target has and how high your attack is. Mask lowers the target's attack by 37. Scan lowers its shields by 36. Shield boosts your shields by 36. Overflow reduces your shields by 22 but boosts your attack by 37. Those numbers are constant, time and starting stats are what hacking bonuses effect. An effective strategy in hacking is to mask the target's attack to 0, then launch attacks while the target is using overflow. Rinse and repeat. Something that's important to note is that hacking is always a two-way connection. This means that if you are terrible enough at hacking, a secured door will hack you back when your attempt fails. Do all doors have AI in this world? Is it just lazy programming? Who knows? There's also an interesting story implication for an enemy we haven't seen yet.

Finally, there's something called 'tentative hacking' I believe this is the automated defense you put up whenever someone attempts to hack you. Basically you know how stuff automatically fights back when you hack it? Any person hacking you will be experiencing the same thing.

Secondary missions:
Doing the campaign unlocks secondary missions where you can replay campaign maps with different objectives, or play in arena maps with objectives at all. Look around the starting area of the temple. It's just outside of Rimanah's office. You can also start a 'temple HQ' game from the main menu to go straight there.

Stuff that can happen to you:
Since it's right there, let's talk about what happens when you get hacked. One effect we've already seen. You get the funny little 'hacked' screen on your hud, energy goes to 0. Fixed by hacking yourself, which is why you show up as a target in the hacking menu. You might also take damage. You might even die instantly. Oh noes! So you're dead. Well, you might only be dead-ish. Each game starts with 8 (9?) 'lives' as it were. When you get killed, you go into a coma and revive on the spot a few seconds later. There's a cybertech to increase the amount of lives you have. They are not reset until you completely run out. When that happens you die and get shoved back into the opening level with the portal, which is some sort of dream I guess (oh god, steer away from story that's where the crazy is) but once you leave you get plopped down back at the beginning of whatever campaign mission you were on.

Bleeding is also a thing that can happen to you. You will lose a fairly significant amount of health over time if you get cut. Fixed with maintenance. Or death, I suppose. But what's the big deal with death? You keep your exp, money and most of your progress, so who cares? Well, when you die you can also get a fatal wound. A fatal wound is basically a penalty that is applied to your stats. There is no limit to how many you can accumulate. They do not ever go away with time. Maintenance does not fix them. They can be fixed, but there's only one way to do it. Research. And research takes money. Lots of money. On the plus side, the penalty seems to only be 1 or 2 at a time, and cybertech bonuses can help offset those penalties, so you can have quite a lot before it becomes a severe issue.

Broken legs make you move slower I think, but it's such a minor issue compared to all the other stuff that I hardly even notice when it happens. Does not seem to stack in any way.

Minor details:
The med kit recharges slow-ish, and only while you have it out. The higher the charge, the more it heals, and it seems to be exponential in nature. One important thing to note is that using it with a charge below 20 can result in an 'overdose' and do damage instead. So if you really had a mind to, you could kill your friends with the med kit.

Most of the crazy comes from the devs trying to shove so many different systems in and having them all work together. And they kind of do. Some of the crazy, though, is in details. For example, there's the sub machine gun. I think it's the HS 0100 or something. It has two fire modes. Full auto and really full auto.

If a turret kills something while you're holding it, you get the exp and money for the kill. Turrets recoil like crazy, but if you can put up with it this is a nice way to save on ammo. Sometimes. Also you can't run.

TLDR: E.Y.E is a crazy-rear end game because it tries to do so much stuff in such a bizarre setting, but once you realize you can cloak, jump through a second story window, shoot a guy on the way in and then cut his friend to pieces as you land before anyone else has figured out what's going on it can get to be pretty fun. Basically, E.Y.E is really close to what you'd get if a videogame was designed by WH40K orcs. It has lots of features because-why-not and seems to work at all based on some sort of voodoo.

This really needs to go in the Before I Play wiki.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
There is also the possibility that some of the things Buried alive mentioned are in fact not quite correct, or were correct but later patched to be different :v:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I should get this game now.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

You gained brouzoufs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Ramos posted:

Christ.

I know, right? And that doesn't even include descriptions of what some of the cy/psi powers can do. I even forgot to mention some stuff, though I think some of it was covered in the videos, but here it is anyway just in case.

As you level you gain titles based on which stats are highest, but seem to only be for cosmetic/achievement purposes.

The speed of enemy reinforcements and various aspects of their AI can be messed with in the options menu. You can toggle things like vision distance, reaction time and so on. It is possible to do a stealthy run, there's just no reward for it other than being able to maybe complete missions faster.

• Locked thread