Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways

http://solarroadways.com/faq.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU

These people have prototypes for making solar powered roads that they believe could replace all the asphalt in America. They're hexagonal pieces that interlock and could provide led lights for creating markers and lines and somehow create a decentralized grid for wifi and poo poo for future cars and other crap. They say they are testing heating elements to melt snow which either be expensive or create a ton of slush, right?

But it's like... Really stupid???

Why would you wanna build solar panels on a road, the thing that's so heavily abused and beaten that it couldn't possibly be cost efficient?? Why not just side walks or something where you don't have 2 ton cars driving on it every day? What about night time? Dirt and dust? Places where it actually snows?

They're like we could test it in parking lots first. Yes, let's put solar panels in a parking lot, where there are cars covering the panels 80% of the time.

Some dude calculated that it'd cost 20 trillion to implement across the United States, not even mentioning loving maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

cant wait for the first pileup to totally gently caress everything

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
WElcome to the New Age of Fucktard, OP

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

These people have prototypes for making solar powered roads that they believe could replace all the asphalt in America. They're hexagonal pieces that interlock and could provide led lights for creating markers and lines and somehow create a decentralized grid for wifi and poo poo for future cars and other crap. They say they are testing heating elements to melt snow which either be expensive or create a ton of slush, right?

Why would you wanna build solar panels on a road, the thing that's so heavily abused and beaten that it couldn't possibly be cost efficient?? Why not just side walks or something where you don't have 2 ton cars driving on it every day? What about night time? Dirt and dust? Places where it actually snows?

They're like we could test it in parking lots first. Yes, let's put solar panels in a parking lot, where there are cars covering the panels 80% of the time.

Some dude calculated that it'd cost 20 trillion to implement across the United States, not even mentioning loving maintenance.

my friend had the same idea with the solar panels and the parking thing except he added you could use the blocking of the panels to tell which spaces are occupied, an incredibly cost efficient measure that would surely make up for how dumb everything else is

solar panels just seem to bring out the stupid in people because it seems to be a shortahand for amazing future technology that will solve all of our problems

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
idk maybe we shhould focus on having roads that arent falling apart before we start implementing stupid poo poo for TED Talk people

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah that's my point. How loving often are They fixing pot holes and repaving poo poo? Now multiply that price by 10,000 dollars.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't care how awesome their glass plastic polymer is it isn't gonna be as good as loving chewed up rocks and tar

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Remember how the USA spent all that stimulus money on infrastructure projects and solar and then didn't make any solar panels or fix any roads haha. Good times

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

stupid SCIENCE IS AWESOME posts on facebook ,ted talks and uproxx have taken a terrible toll on our society

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
I'm an idea man, someone else can figure out how to make it work :smug:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
not even just potholes &tc. civil engineers keep putting out reports that say stuff to the effect of: lol I wouldnt drive over any given bridge in america right now if I were you.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

sounds dumb.

Maybe we should work on roads that don't fall apart after a year, instead.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We already had this thread. It was a dumb idea then and its a dumb idea now.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm sure this will work very well in the northern US, where for like a third of the year the skies are replaced by a single unending cloud and the streets covered in snow. I am sure that the State of Michigan will appreciate the obvious cost benefits from such a thing, such as

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

We already had this thread. It was a dumb idea then and its a dumb idea now.

I wanna see it not because I don't believe you but because I wanna see it

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
The idea occurs to me. Don't build solar roads. Build a solar roof over existing roads.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The worst thing is my roommate thinks it's the best thing ever and it's like use some critical thinking, Jfc

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

like why are they on the loving roads

even if you do invent this awesome polymer or whatever to protect the panels why the gently caress are you going trough all the effort of protecting your panels from being crushed constantly in the first place? what possible benefit could this have

it really blows my mind up that they made 1.5 million dollars

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Roads are dirty.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
we should make roads from the bones of our slain enemies to inspire fear in our populace

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

america is doomer

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, like dirty panels reduce the efficiency by a TON and they would already barely work for latitudes in the north.

Not to mention where is all the electricity going at night? Magic super capacitors which don't exist?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Yeah, like dirty panels reduce the efficiency by a TON and they would already barely work for latitudes in the north.

Not to mention where is all the electricity going at night? Magic super capacitors which don't exist?

well if the infographic is anything to go by, into mooses

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
now we've got solar powered electric mooses roaming the wild, arcing lighting off trees and hikers. great job science.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

babypolis posted:

you could use the blocking of the panels to tell which spaces are occupied,

which does what exactly?

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

we should just make everything that requires energy out of solar panels

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

its such a terrible idea that falls apart after giving it a single second of thought

i should really set up one of these scams myself. it seems all you need to get a cool mill or so these days is some tech idea that sounds cool to idiots sold with a nice faux anticorporate/enviromentalist spiel thrown in

RaIp posted:

which does what exactly?

tell you if its full so you dont have to hire an attendant i guess. hey i never said it was good

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
my self driving google car charges its battery off the solar road, leaving me free to mix up a batch of soylent on the way to work.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Stealing pavement has never been more profitable.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
We should really be considering getting all these people hooked up to the grid before we spend more money on solar energy.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
most road construction is already hilariously inept and/or corrupt depending on the region. seriously if we can't even make a normal road right, this is just pure failure

on top of the if-the-world-was-perfect practical issues

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Doctor Butts posted:

sounds dumb.

Maybe we should work on roads that don't fall apart after a year, instead.

Those exist, but they require more upfront cost and welp.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

I thought the idea was to use the blacktop as a heat source, since asphalt absorbs a loving ton of heat anyway

Not actually make the roads out of solar panels

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
the video seems goon-produced; which one of you'se is shilling this poo poo?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

solar FREAKIN' roadways

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Just put nuclear reactors under the road, dumbs.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, they talk about that in one of their videos about how it'd reduce the heating in cities and stuff due to asphalt.

It's all really quaint and nice but too bad we live in harsh reality.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
itd be a laff and a half to watch the US try and do this. yeah we farmed a contract out to Halli-Brown & Root and wouldnt you know the roads make cars catch fire and all the power generated goes into a privately owned grid that gets sold back to the city at a %500 mark up. great success.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I have a better idea - put a wind turbine on every butt. Farts will make the blades turn and that will generate electricity! Then people just need to plug themselves into the grid - just take the plug and put it in your butt. Then you deliver the electricity and get paid in buttcoins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

babypolis posted:

its such a terrible idea that falls apart after giving it a single second of thought

My roommate mentioned it before I saw the video or anything and I immediately said "that sounds expensive and retarded."

Turns out I was right.

• Locked thread