Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

babypolis posted:

my friend had the same idea with the solar panels and the parking thing except he added you could use the blocking of the panels to tell which spaces are occupied, an incredibly cost efficient measure that would surely make up for how dumb everything else is

solar panels just seem to bring out the stupid in people because it seems to be a shortahand for amazing future technology that will solve all of our problems

The thing is, solar panels in parking lots is actually a good idea.

It's just that the idea's already been perfected and your friend is an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i would think that the fancy strong glass they use for the panel would provide less traction than asphalt unless you scored the glass which would probably reduce the efficiency of the power collection

better to just put panels on all the roofs imo

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

I'm Crap posted:

I agree but someone really needs to tell the goddamned Germans that
Morgenthau was right.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheJoker138 posted:

Wouldn't it at least be quicker to fix these roads? One of the panels gets super hosed up, you just take it out and slot in a new one? I'm sure it would be insanely expensive, though.

yeah brick and cobblestone roads are already inefficient from a cost perspective and those are made from literal mud and rocks. they only get used for vanity applications and in most of the places around here that have brick roads you're not allowed to park on them or in some cases drive on them

the quickest way to fix a road is just pour fixer sludge into the hole instead of tearing up and replacing broken parts

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
typically i prefer to have all of my major infrastructure projects to have the word FREAKIN' in the middle

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
rockin raspberry road regrading
xtreme nacho crunch drainage

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I could see this as maybe being cool for sidewalks and patios in the Southwest.

At least until the meth-heads catch wind that there might be copper in 'em.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

redstormpopcorn posted:

At least until the meth-heads catch wind that there might be copper in 'em.

lol i hadnt considered this. people would steal the tiles in the night time

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

I'm Crap posted:

I keep seeing people say this but I have no idea where they're getting those numbers. Here in Northern Europe, total yearly insolation is something like 900kWh/m2. If you could convert that to electricity at 15% efficiency (and you can't) that's 135 kWh/year/m2, which would be worth about €10.80 per m2/year at €0.08/kWh. 25 * 10.8 = a lot less than the price of a square meter of solar panels, let alone installation and the grid-tie equipment. Lorfo at them lasting 25 years too, they start conspicuously losing efficiency after about 5 no matter how clean you keep them.

The good panels come with a 20 year guarantee for still generating 80% of their rated power.
Overall you are looking at about €1-1.50 per Watt peak which should generate about 0.85KwH per watt peak per year.
So at €1.50 per KwH peak and 0.85 KwH generated per year at a value of €0,08 you would probably not make much money (about 20 years to pay off the panels + inverters). Of course if the panels and inverters don't completely break down, 50% of rated power after you've paid the panels off is stil in essence free power.

Of course i don't pay €0,08 per KwH but more like €0,22 so you get a ROI in 7 years. This is the case for multiple countries, even in Northern Europe (Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium, UK). In Germany or Denmark you could earn the cost of the array back in 5 years. I would say in Europe your prices are exceptionally low and not at all the norm (Norway or Iceland i guess?).

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 29, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

NihilismNow posted:

Of course i don't pay €0,08 per KwH but more like €0,22 so you get a ROI in 7 years. This is the case for multiple countries, even in Northern Europe (Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium, UK). In Germany or Denmark you could earn the cost of the array back in 5 years. I would say in Europe your prices are exceptionally low and not at all the norm (Norway or Iceland i guess?).
Looking it up, the cost of electricity is around €0.3 per kWh here in Denmark, so yeah, that's going to make a difference. Solar is still a dumb thing to focus on over wind (and nuclear) though.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
this might work in the midwest where the weather is boring and there aren't many people around but I can't see this working in big cities

e: ofc the wonderful thing about electricity generation is that you can send it anywhere so maybe only doing the midwest would be enough??? idk i'm not a civil engineer or w/e

President Ark fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 29, 2014

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
wasn't there some plan to do something w/ kilometers long solar panels in space and i guess through magic the energy would be sent down to earth?

or no wait i think it was something like you'd use a big mirror to keep the sun shining on the middle of nowhere in the desert 24/7 so a few miles of solar panels would always be charged

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Looking it up, the cost of electricity is around €0.3 per kWh here in Denmark, so yeah, that's going to make a difference. Solar is still a dumb thing to focus on over wind (and nuclear) though.

No reason can't do both. Advantage of residential solar power is that the investment is provided by households themselves. People are putting up PV arrays simply because they make the calculation and figure it offers a better return than a savings account.
Nuclear, wind, solar, we need it all.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Robo Reagan posted:

wasn't there some plan to do something w/ kilometers long solar panels in space and i guess through magic the energy would be sent down to earth?

or no wait i think it was something like you'd use a big mirror to keep the sun shining on the middle of nowhere in the desert 24/7 so a few miles of solar panels would always be charged

That's badass they should do that instead for those two solar towers they just built. 24 hr energy.

I guess you'd need a lot of mirrors... And they'd probably scorch poo poo up when they weren't in right right hemisphere

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

NihilismNow posted:

No reason can't do both. Advantage of residential solar power is that the investment is provided by households themselves. People are putting up PV arrays simply because they make the calculation and figure it offers a better return than a savings account.
Nuclear, wind, solar, we need it all.
there are no private solutions to societal problems.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If we did this black people would just steal them

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
installing them in any form that would make the eligible for theft would be awful construction for road use.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

california covered rich kids school parking lots in big solar installations and its cool because parking lotsa re ugly anyways and the panels shade the cars. cool

A Winner is Jew posted:

lmao its literally been implemented at a state level in parts of the country

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

NihilismNow posted:

€0,08 to €0,10/kWh is about what retail electricity costs everywhere in mainland Europe without VAT and, more crucially, without feed-in tariffs designed specifically to vastly privilege solar over every other form of power generation, even the more practical ones, and which, in effect, act as a really punitive regressive tax on all electricity consumers, in order to benefit Al Gore types with solar panels on the roofs of their big detached houses.

I hadn't realised how cheap the panels had gotten, though. I'm still pretty dubious about the retailer's claims for practical yield in the arse climate we have up here, which appear to be done on the basis of total solar irradiance times peak efficiency, not taking into account the fact that on a lovely overcast day like today there isn't enough sunlight to let the panel function properly. But if the price keeps tumbling the way it has in the last ten years or so, that might stop mattering soon enough.

What the world really needs is a scheme where I could buy solar panels for some dude in Greece to stick on his roof and I could credited for the power generated from that, instead of having to put them up on my own roof in order to get rained on a lot and basically not see the sun at all between about October and February.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

I'm Crap posted:

€0,08 to €0,10/kWh is about what retail electricity costs everywhere in mainland Europe without VAT and, more crucially, without feed-in tariffs designed specifically to vastly privilege solar over every other form of power generation, even the more practical ones, and which, in effect, act as a really punitive regressive tax on all electricity consumers, in order to benefit Al Gore types with solar panels on the roofs of their big detached houses.

This is all true. But if you are a privileged person with a detached house (for which you receive massive tax breaks) and a electric car (that is pretty much free after tax incentives) you would be crazy not to take advantage of this massive opportunity the powers that be have created for you that is not going away any time soon.
What is privilege if you don't take advantage of it?

e: What matters to people is that this is a way for them to reduce energy costs, if things were fair costs would be lower to begin with, but they are not.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 29, 2014

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wish electric cars were free here after tax breaks but the tax break is only like 7500 dollars.

I guess that'll pay for replacing all the batteries in 5 years.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Dont you crazy americans make your highways and poo poo out of concrete which is just a terrible road surface in general?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Nutsngum posted:

Dont you crazy americans make your highways and poo poo out of concrete which is just a terrible road surface in general?

No. Everything is asphalt pretty much.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

basically anything posted on facebook ends up being a terrible idea

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
I love the video where they're carefully driving a balloon-tired tractor back and forth over it. Great, it will hold up to gentle, normal driving by rubber-tired vehicles. Now will it hold up to a 777 making a blown-tire emergency landing at 130mph on it? How about an inadvertent grader blade or oil spill or explosion or chemical fire or bee-truck overturn? How will it hold up to flooding of the wire-canals from all that snow you're melting on top of it?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

idk maybe we shhould focus on having roads that arent falling apart before we start implementing stupid poo poo for TED Talk people

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Too sane, not sexy enough.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

The company estimates 10,000 dollars per 12x12 panel.

I forgot, not overengineered and overpriced enough.

In summary:

babypolis posted:

solar panels just seem to bring out the stupid in people because it seems to be a shortahand for amazing future technology that will solve all of our problems

e:

My Q-Face posted:

I love the video where they're carefully driving a balloon-tired tractor back and forth over it. Great, it will hold up to gentle, normal driving by rubber-tired vehicles. Now will it hold up to a 777 making a blown-tire emergency landing at 130mph on it? How about an inadvertent grader blade or oil spill or explosion or chemical fire or bee-truck overturn? How will it hold up to flooding of the wire-canals from all that snow you're melting on top of it?

But you don't have, like, ideas man
The implementation is something we let those engineers do. You know, think outside the box, man :catdrugs:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

My Q-Face posted:

I'm really surprised that the American Society of Civil Engineers hasn't put out a release to the public (that isn't the yearly 'D' grading of the US infrastructure) that would finally put this stupid poo poo to bed for good...if I'm wrong or something similar has come out please show me.

People (especially lifetime inhabitants of New England or other locales with similar weather) swearing that this is even remotely feasible/sensible is retardation on the level of creationism and vaccines-cause-autism.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Wayside Bazaar posted:

I'm really surprised that the American Society of Civil Engineers hasn't put out a release to the public (that isn't the yearly 'D' grading of the US infrastructure) that would finally put this stupid poo poo to bed for good...if I'm wrong or something similar has come out please show me.

People (especially lifetime inhabitants of New England or other locales with similar weather) swearing that this is even remotely feasible/sensible is retardation on the level of creationism and vaccines-cause-autism.

Also solar panels last for about 20-30 years

Spending 20 trillion on solar panels every 20 years is a pretty good idea though as long as they come from China, it'll so thoroughly poison the place they'll never become a superpower :911:

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
solar power is stupid because the suns not going to last forever idiots

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This is just a stupid idea from a start-up company full of pipe-dreaming idiots with a good PR department and not an actual thing that local governments anywhere are actually considering, right?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

blowfish posted:

Also solar panels last for about 20-30 years

Spending 20 trillion on solar panels every 20 years is a pretty good idea though as long as they come from China, it'll so thoroughly poison the place they'll never become a superpower :911:

Jokes gonna be on us when they finish their thorium reactor and we have to go begging the Chinese for it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Here's my idea. Currently leveling the grid load is more important than renewables. Time shifting power. Think Raccoon Mountain Pumped Storage. Unfortunately there just aren't enough mountain tops to build reservoirs on. Solution? Giant Fly Wheels. Like really giant. Thousands of tons. Build them rights outside of major cities. Get them spinning at tens of thousands RPM when there is excess power production and generate energy off of it at peak hours. Nothing can go wrong!

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Entropic posted:

This is just a stupid idea from a start-up company full of pipe-dreaming idiots with a good PR department and not an actual thing that local governments anywhere are actually considering, right?

From the perspective of the people that are behind it and those who would be benefiting from it I'd say it's brilliant.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
It's been under testing for 3 years with big trucks going over and over it in the Netherlands, and still works. Far easier to replace a piece of the "jigsaw" than to fix potholes.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
could the power from solar roadways be used to power a vent hood? god bless

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Germstore posted:

Here's my idea. Currently leveling the grid load is more important than renewables. Time shifting power. Think Raccoon Mountain Pumped Storage. Unfortunately there just aren't enough mountain tops to build reservoirs on. Solution? Giant Fly Wheels. Like really giant. Thousands of tons. Build them rights outside of major cities. Get them spinning at tens of thousands RPM when there is excess power production and generate energy off of it at peak hours. Nothing can go wrong!

centrifuge_spinning_through_wall.avi

We need a hydrogen economy.
That'll be about 2/3 energy loss so better cover the states in a giant made in china solar park or something.

Or gently caress NIMBY idiots and build nuKKKular power plants so it actually works.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

A Winner is Jew posted:

Tell that to all the dead birds and insects, you horrible eco-terrorist. :mad:

I kept seeing this poo poo popping up on Tumblr. I had no idea real people with real money were taking it seriously and they go so much money. Someone give me money for my shithead ideas please. Check this out; Hypnosis for handicapped people - If we can hypnotize people into thinking they're chickens or Elvis and poo poo, why can't we hypnotize some dude in a wheelchair into thinking he's a dude with working legs? Look at me I just blew science's loving MIND gimme a million dollars.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

blowfish posted:

centrifuge_spinning_through_wall.avi

We need a hydrogen economy.
That'll be about 2/3 energy loss so better cover the states in a giant made in china solar park or something.

Or gently caress NIMBY idiots and build nuKKKular power plants so it actually works.

hydrogen is one of those things that is theoretically great but quite lovely in practice right now. producing it is a problem and storing it reversibly and efficiently is a huge problem.

the easiest thing for everyone would be to keep using gasoline, but have it produced completely synthetically from carbon dioxide and water using the Fischer-Tropsch process, the cost of which is basically just a buttload of energy http://www.navytimes.com/article/20121013/NEWS/210130317/Navy-eyes-turning-sea-water-into-jet-fuel Use nuclear power plants to produce that energy extra cheap and you won't really need to worry about whether or not the process is energy-efficient, so long as it can produce enough fuel at the end of the day.

The navy's optimizing the process to produce more fuel in less time atm, and they plan to use energy from on-board nuclear reactors on carriers to drive the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Office Thug posted:

hydrogen is one of those things that is theoretically great but quite lovely in practice right now. producing it is a problem and storing it reversibly and efficiently is a huge problem.

the easiest thing for everyone would be to keep using gasoline, but have it produced completely synthetically from carbon dioxide and water using the Fischer-Tropsch process, the cost of which is basically just a buttload of energy http://www.navytimes.com/article/20121013/NEWS/210130317/Navy-eyes-turning-sea-water-into-jet-fuel Use nuclear power plants to produce that energy extra cheap and you won't really need to worry about whether or not the process is energy-efficient, so long as it can produce enough fuel at the end of the day.

The navy's optimizing the process to produce more fuel in less time atm, and they plan to use energy from on-board nuclear reactors on carriers to drive the process.

So what you're describing is the same thing as hydrogen but better. That's too sane to ever get implemented.

• Locked thread