Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'd be really surprised if wildstar doesn't go down with all the other MMOs that are leaking players because the MMO genre as a whole has garbage gameplay mechanics and Wildstar is still promoting things like grinding as fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They're hoping to grab the trickling WoW audience and there's enough mounts, sparse locations, sexy char models, and grinding for them to do well at least until the end of the fiscal year when it will probably go f2p

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

fail money

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
wasn't that gonna be f2p at some point

gently caress mmos

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The only redeeming thing about F2P MMOs is that the only regret you can feel is the time wasted on such a poo poo genre.
Wildstar doesn't even get that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

El Generico posted:

wasn't that gonna be f2p at some point

gently caress mmos

the Hot rear end New Deal is to start pay then go f2p after like a year so you can make even more money

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

al-azad posted:

They're hoping to grab the trickling WoW audience and there's enough mounts, sparse locations, sexy char models, and grinding for them to do well at least until the end of the fiscal year when it will probably go f2p

Wildstar is so loving bad but probably this. The profession system is insultingly bad if you played any MMO in the past 10 years.

"Let's take all of the non-grindy things that you might enjoy in an MMO and put them in our game, but restrict 3/4s of that content based on a choice made at character creation"

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context

Grakdesh posted:

Wildstar is so loving bad but probably this. The profession system is insultingly bad if you played any MMO in the past 10 years.

"Let's take all of the non-grindy things that you might enjoy in an MMO and put them in our game, but restrict 3/4s of that content based on a choice made at character creation"

I don't play MMOs, but I have to say that is really loving stupid.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Grakdesh posted:

Do you have to choose to be a crafter or something?

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
WoW has currently has more features and content then any MMO that will ever come out and it's still boring as gently caress. It's like, these games are some kind of sick cruel joke!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Do you have to choose to be a crafter or something?

not crafter but you choose to be warrior, scientist, builder, engineer and they all have unique* quests and rewards attached to them

*by unique I mean "bring X things to X place" or "kill X many things in X amount of time"

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.
If you want to:
1)Kill rare mobs, you have to pick soldier
2)Explore and find hidden stuff, you have to pick explorer (to get credit, I guess you can technically explore anyway)
3)Pick flowers and collect Wildstar lore, (lol) you have to pick scientist (I think its like archaeology in WoW? idk)
4)Collect mecha-scrotes and space trash and turn in stacks of them for buffs, you have to pick engineer

If you want to do all 4 those things on one character you go play any MMO that came out after Everquest.

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.
then kill urself

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Grakdesh posted:

If you want to:
2)Explore and find hidden stuff, you have to pick explorer (to get credit, I guess you can technically explore anyway)
3)Pick flowers and collect Wildstar lore, (lol) you have to pick scientist (I think its like archaeology in WoW? idk)
4)Collect mecha-scrotes and space trash and turn in stacks of them for buffs, you have to pick engineer

If you want to do all 4 those things on one character you go play any MMO that came out after Everquest.

that's stupid

also you could do all of those things on one character in eq so it's including everquest not just games that came out after it

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Grakdesh posted:

If you want to:

Again, this is REALLY loving STUPID

AND THIS IS COMING FROM A GUY WHO PLAYS DOTA FOR FUN

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Exploring is very rewarding in dota.

Get a blink dagger and force staff and go on an edge-of-map adventure!

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Don't forget to pick Treant Protector

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
haha I played the Wildstar beta for 2 hours in the hopes that it would be interesting, god loving drat it was terribad poo poo and anyone who plays it unironically should be killed.

i was kinda interested because i've never played any MMORPG before besides Ragnarok Online and I guess Guild Wars 1 (which doesn't count) but god drat the UI is designed by a toddler with horrible sticky Arial fonts that look out of place and obtuse buttons. And the gameplay was just boring grindy "COLLECT 10 BEAR BUTTS AND BRING THEM TO ME!" type bullshit with characters you give no shits about. combat was stupid janky bullshit and the whole game can suck my fat dick

gently caress wildstar

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

fail money

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

awesome great

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Abandon posted:

awesome great

hmmm, i'll have to see how the dickks & balls are rendered, but this is looking promising

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Abandon posted:

awesome great

They tried making realistic anime eyes but that only works if you're doing cell styled texturing and poo poo. It just looks weird when you're using realistic textures with bumpmaps.You can see that the eyes are roughly the size of bowling balls behind what's visible the sockets because that's the only way to get eyes that large to rotate without exposing gaps.

Would have been better if they aimed for a borderlands type style since that still draws heavily from 2D for all the texture work while keeping the wear and tear/worn out look they're going for.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Abandon posted:

awesome great

this actually is win.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

It is far more important to properly protect your shoulders than your boobs

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Abandon posted:

awesome great

does she have two sets of ears or are the earrings connected in a way I can't see?

Dec 26, 2012

that is actually a very good question

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Maybe the big ears are just very specialized hairs?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they're just stapled to the sides of her head

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

finally i can roll a cosplay

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Abandon posted:

awesome great

would

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I dunno...

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

would you, like, stick your dick in the disc drive or something? How do you have sex w/ a cg character?

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Abandon posted:

awesome great

Next-gen tittay radiosity

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The devs are already planning for a Wildstar convention, they're going to call it Wildcon or something.

at least con is in the name so it's honest.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

some goon paid actual money for this

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

pvp in level and loot based games is stupid and terrible

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Awesome! posted:

some goon paid actual money for this

How could someone possibly summon up that much excitement for this game.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
How do you play these games without just falling asleep.

sexy cougar on the prowl
Dec 31, 2008

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

How do you play these games without just falling asleep.

Um excuse me, this game is actually really good once you get past the required 20 to 30 hours of repetitive tasks - every mmo player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
wow clones in tyool 2014

• Locked thread