Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
wow clones in tyool 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

stoutfish posted:

wow clones in tyool 2014

made by the original WoW devs. You would think they had enough time to have some new ideas

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

Abandon posted:

awesome great
Great thanks *now* i gotta go masterbate

Dec 26, 2012

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

How do you play these games without just falling asleep.

by being addicted to gambling

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Why wouldn't you just gamble in that case?

I mean it's more fun and less time consuming.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Abandon posted:

awesome great

is she a robot? she appears to have a giant screw right under her throat.

Dec 26, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Why wouldn't you just gamble in that case?

I mean it's more fun and less time consuming.

you act like anyone who plays mmos cares about time

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Wildstar's areas and character models look mostly good, it's just that the gameplay mechanics destroy whatever goodwill and intentions they had.

Seriously ideal MMO talent trees are in Skyrim, pick those talents but make Atrinochs and Summoned guys abit stronger and varied and you're perfect.

And then just wreck poo poo, forget collect 10 bear asses quest for EXP just have general EXp given for combo kills of monsters like they have in Diablo 3. Award people for just general brawling, no need to make them required quests.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

interesting how generic mmo collectables are quantified in bear asses

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

qnqnx posted:

This started in Everquest and you found the quest if you were a human that started in Freeport.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

qnqnx posted:

what I find interesting is the sheer number of wolves and poo poo that don't have livers or intestines or brains in mmos

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I agree, mmos would be saved if they put surgeon simulator into the skinning/looting/crafting

al-azad
May 28, 2009

qnqnx posted:

This is one of the rare modern games with actual gibs, there might actually be bear asses

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
how long does it take to do all that?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
is all that required to get the screw titties, or are those available from the start

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

This sounds way too annoying if it requires making a group and not having some sort of auto join party feature. Especially the grinding and the medals.

Like seriously reputation grinding should not be a thing that bars you from progressing. The art direction looks really good, but the gameplay mechanics are beyond archaic.

Diablo 3 ROS probably has the ideal group set up for killing monsters there by making long chain events not a pain in the rear end.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 3, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sorry i'm not enough of a nerd to know a single thing about what this says or means

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Y-Hat posted:

sorry i'm not enough of a nerd to know a single thing about what this says or means

It means you gotta do a shitload of boring or tedious crap before you can actually get to the meat of the game.

And waiting around for spawns to appear so you have a chance in tagging them instead of them just being regular bosses you can fight by yourself or something.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

It means you gotta do a shitload of boring or tedious crap before you can actually get to the meat of the game.

And waiting around for spawns to appear so you have a chance in tagging them instead of them just being regular bosses you can fight by yourself or something.

the boring tedious crap is the meat of the game

that's what an mmo is.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

No Such Thing posted:

the boring tedious crap is the meat of the game

that's what an mmo is.

Exploration is fine but sitting in a queue waiting just to proceeded to the next step and then repeating before getting non-queued un-soloable boss parts is just terrible design.

That and it's proceeded by reaching level 50 and leveling being treated as not a main focus despite taking the first few dozen or so hours is in itself awful. Then you pour reputation grinding over that so you finally can start getting the benefits of max level is stupid.

Having big quests similar to the Dark brotherhood or poo poo in skyrim would work fine for an MMO since those quests are pretty involved and interesting and you can complete them at your own leasure. All that wildstar poo poo reeks of Vanilla Everquest where nobody could get anything done.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 3, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Vanilla EQ didn't have any attunement poo poo did it?

I know you sure as gently caress didn't need it for plane of fear because I went there while exploring on my newbie ogre. It was an interesting experience.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Vanilla EQ didn't have any attunement poo poo did it?

I know you sure as gently caress didn't need it for plane of fear because I went there while exploring on my newbie ogre. It was an interesting experience.

It had poo poo like that for a good number of quests because stuff like camping spawns and poo poo arose out of Ultima Online and EQ, they're what started it.

You could dick off and go anywhere, but lord help you if you were not high enough you would get crushed.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

It had poo poo like that for a good number of quests because stuff like camping spawns and poo poo arose out of Ultima Online and EQ, they're what started it.

You could dick off and go anywhere, but lord help you if you were not high enough you would get crushed.

Yeah but I mean like you didn't need to go through 40 steps that take 8 hours to be able to even access the content. After you spent all that time getting to the level and gearing you could just go there without the attunement bullshit.

Also UO didn't do any of that. There was some camping for like dragons and poo poo but if you did PvE in UO then you were playing it wrong.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Yeah but I mean like you didn't need to go through 40 steps that take 8 hours to be able to even access the content. After you spent all that time getting to the level and gearing you could just go there without the attunement bullshit.

Also UO didn't do any of that. There was some camping for like dragons and poo poo but if you did PvE in UO then you were playing it wrong.

it really depend on how anal the people in your EQ raids were. Some had a shitload of prerequisites before you could even group with them because raids were scheduled around other guilds raids and you only had so many hours before the next guild came because nothing was instanced and you would need guards near the entrance to kill people who would try and kill steal your boss and poo poo.

Most played by standing up looking at the wall with spell effects turned all the way down because their computers were poo poo.

poo poo this game honestly does look like Jak and Daxter

Those proportions are hideous though like an anime bunny fran drescher spliced with a gibbon.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 3, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

ah ok

sounds awful

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

it really depend on how anal the people in your EQ raids were. Some had a shitload of prerequisites before you could even group with them because raids were scheduled around other guilds raids and you only had so many hours before the next guild came because nothing was instanced and you would need guards near the entrance to kill people who would try and kill steal your boss and poo poo.

Yeah but that still isn't the game doing attunement poo poo and I'd argue that attunements aren't an evolution (at least not a natural one) of guilds doing their weird anal poo poo. I did play EQ back then I'm aware of what it was like, at least through Vellious.

quote:

Those proportions are hideous though like an anime bunny fran drescher spliced with a gibbon.

The male proportions are also like that except for the boobs, everybody has frightening arms and weirdly small waistlines.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Everquest started with bullshit quest requirements in the first expansion with the Veeshan's Peak key. The third expansion had the most ridiculous timesink quest in the history of gaming. Everyone in your guild had to get keys to access the big boss snake in this temple, but also you needed special weapons for your physical damage dealers if you wanted to be effective against him and then he gave you access to another zone which was absolutely boring as poo poo but had great loot. But it wasn't just enough to kill him, you also had to camp like 8 rare drop items from different zones and he only dropped so many key components per kill so you had to kill him a bunch of times to get anything done. The 8 rare drop items took an absurd number of hours to get and it was all just a huge pain.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Oh gently caress I forgot about the Veeshan's Peak key.

I don't remember anything from the third expansion I don't think I was playing it then, so I guess I was wrong when I said through Velious, I am old and my memory is bad.

Edit: Yeah I was way off, I played through Kunark then didn't accomplish anything in Velious then didn't play after that. But the original point was about Vanilla EQ so :colbert:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Man you missed out Velious was loving rad, best expansion and the right time to bail out since after that there were two garbage expansions before another good one appeared.

Oh and it was 10 loving shards you had to camp for that loving Vex Thal key, I was wrong apparently.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

jfc

also lmao at a game that had breasts so anatomically stupid even internet nerds thought they were ugly looking, so they patched it to make them 'only' what you're seeing there

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

Good to know they learned nothing about how to handle late-game content from working on WoW.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

MMORPGS: old poo poo mmorpg players become the devs and keep cranking out the same games with the same tedious ubergrindy mechanics and other assorted padding, making new players think this is how things should be and later on becoming the devs themselves and the cycle repeats

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
i've spent a total of half an hour grinding in eso so far (had to level up cooking to 20 to get the perk needed to cook all the crap i collected in the higher level zone) so was going to post a gloating commment but then i remembered how everyone says this experience grinds the gently caress to a halt once you hit veteran ranks and it becomes awful (but at least you don't get hosed over as much in pvp??!???)

sexy cougar on the prowl
Dec 31, 2008

qnqnx posted:

MMORPGS: old poo poo mmorpg players become the devs and keep cranking out the same games with the same tedious ubergrindy mechanics and other assorted padding, making new players think this is how things should be and later on becoming the devs themselves and the cycle repeats

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Abandon posted:

i've spent a total of half an hour grinding in eso so far (had to level up cooking to 20 to get the perk needed to cook all the crap i collected in the higher level zone) so was going to post a gloating commment but then i remembered how everyone says this experience grinds the gently caress to a halt once you hit veteran ranks and it becomes awful (but at least you don't get hosed over as much in pvp??!???)

you were gonna gloatpost about playing eso

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

The Protagonist posted:

you were gonna gloatpost about playing eso

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

treap you are a soothsayer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Abandon posted:

lmfao of all the games to grind you ground in eso you are to mmos what great joe is to posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ForeverSmug posted:

treap you are a soothsayer

Ya a mmo going belly up is big news :rolleye:

• Locked thread