Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rapner
May 7, 2013

bucketybuck posted:

For most of those 19/5's I wouldn't have wasted the money, this late in the season you aren't going to get their DV anywhere near to 15 whether you train them or not.

After the change report you are going to have a bunch of 20/5 players. Considering you can pick up 18/4 and 19/5 players dirt cheap it makes no sense whatsoever to keep 20/5's anywhere near your squad. Thats over a million econ you just spent on players for whom most of them won't be good enough.

Fair point on the 19s, unless they were close to the bar already some of them won't jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
Has anyone had/seen a viable team that relies on the more unusual formations like 4-3-3 and 4-2-4? I'm curious if a well-skilled but less numerous midfield is sustainable. Or is the game too balanced towards having a good midfield?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

The only formations I've seen use viably are 442, 451, 532 and 352.

That may just be the meta, however.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Rapner posted:

The only formations I've seen use viably are 442, 451, 532 and 352.

That may just be the meta, however.

I tried 4-4-2 for a long time, and I feel like it just gets beat too much by 3-5-2 and 5-3-2 too much. I think the 5 mid is the best way to go.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

352 and 532 are really nice as they let you abuse pressure, long balls and offside trap depending on the skill of the ref. Doing so lets you shore up one weak area and supercharge the other, which can lead to really solid player performance.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I've seen 4-3-3's work with a strong defense and long balls, but 3 in the midfield always seems to really hurt. A bloke won the other private league I play in by switching to a 5-4-1 for the last 4 games, he romped it home.

Most people do seem to swear by the 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 though. I like to try stuff at home but I'm too scared to do it away.

Uzh
Sep 27, 2003
Monkey lover

Rapner posted:

Was this a terrible idea?
I like the idea, but my personal feeling is that most of the players are behind the curve.
When I say being on the curve my meaning is 17/4, 18/5, 19/6 and so on. The 17/5 player you have is in other words ahead of the curve imho.
I think you might pull it off, but you might need to restructure the team by selling players to get cash and buy fewer higher skilled players.
Not sure when it is ideal to do this.
That said, in the short term you are well off considering the jumps in skill and value your players will have.
Keep up the good work. :)

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Uzh posted:

I like the idea, but my personal feeling is that most of the players are behind the curve.
When I say being on the curve my meaning is 17/4, 18/5, 19/6 and so on. The 17/5 player you have is in other words ahead of the curve imho.
I think you might pull it off, but you might need to restructure the team by selling players to get cash and buy fewer higher skilled players.
Not sure when it is ideal to do this.
That said, in the short term you are well off considering the jumps in skill and value your players will have.
Keep up the good work. :)

For my league and finances, 17/3, 18/4, 19/5 is on the curve. I did go a bit far though, more money left over for restructuring would be really nice.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Last chance to join my turbo league before I am forced to open the floodgates to pubbies. Right now we need 4 more people to get it started.

http://www.xperteleven.com/?lid=347503

------------

Edit: The joys of taking over a neglected team

Rapner fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 23, 2014

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Walamor posted:

I tried 4-4-2 for a long time, and I feel like it just gets beat too much by 3-5-2 and 5-3-2 too much. I think the 5 mid is the best way to go.

Yeah, I think this game loves its midfield a bit much. I went 4-4-2 versus Hardflip with his 3-5-2 (I thought he would get cute with a 4-3-3 since he hadn't done that in forever) and even with a million win bonus at home my team got outperformed by 3 bars.

Also I'm glad that my goalie decided to play the game of his life on Monday! 6-6 chances on away and I stole a victory I didn't deserve.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Holy gently caress this name

Rapner
May 7, 2013

quote:

BertnErnie fired - managerial crimes
La Liga Rapido manager BertnErnie was fired today after an investigation into allegations of managerial crimes at division 7 club Smokin Dragons.

It came to light that BertnErnie was responsible for developing players which are considered crimes against football. As part of the investigation into the dungeon of horrors that is the Smokin Dragons' clubroom, it has come to light that players such as a 22/5 midfielder, a 27/6 forward and worst, a 19/2 midfielder were being kept against their will in the bowels of the club.

"It was horrible!", Marcelo Novaes, an extremely damaged 19 year old midfielder was quoted as saying today. "He kept us confined playing... oh God I can't say it... *sob* playstation and eating Krispy Kreme donuts by the boxful."

New manager RapnerSA has been brought in to provide emergency counseling and rehabilitation for the traumatized players and fans of the club. At a club press conference today RapnerSA was quoted as saying, "It will be a long process of healing for all involved". The new manager will be responsible for bringing in new talent to shore up the club, and would not rule out that many of the existing players would be brought out the back of the clubhouse and put out of their misery.

BertnErnie is being remanded in The Hague until further notice.

I think the press might be the most fun thing about this game.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Dragongem posted:

and even with a million win bonus at home my team got outperformed by 3 bars.

all my players were on high form and i put down something like 300k too

plus i outnumbered the midfield which you weren't expecting

basically i'm really great

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
Oh man Numpties are not going to be happy about this one. This is the number one team in SBA losing to the first relegated slot (me) :smugdog:

edit: Not relegated any more! :smaug:

Baby Cakes fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 24, 2014

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

gently caress, now I only have three good midfielders for the most important part of the season. Let's see if I don't gently caress this up.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
It makes me sad to see so many managers in Retu D ignoring press releases. That's 200K soccerbux you guys could be earning!

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It makes me sad to see so many managers in Retu D ignoring press releases. That's 200K soccerbux you guys could be earning!

I kick myself when I forget it because I'm a big weekly spender between win bonuses and youth academy.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Baby Cakes posted:

Oh man Numpties are not going to be happy about this one.

You're right, I'm not one bit happy. :argh:

We simply didn't perform though, the defensive tactics were a good choice that we never looked like breaking down.

I also had that gut feeling when I saw my striker get the yellow card, I knew he was going to end up sent-off. The bastard.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

PTizzles star player took man of the year off me I think in the last game, despite Uwe Mehle scoring two goals.

gently caress you rights of men!

Seraphim Hubris
Dec 11, 2006

My starting keeper just took an injury the match before the bye. At least he considered the team before getting hurt.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

If I can grab at least two wins of my remaining four matches I believe I'm mathematically guaranteed promotion. This is a much better feeling than my usual "gently caress it, I'm already out, may as well play the kids for DV" scenario at this point in the season.

12-0-0, baby! Let's keep this train rolling so I can get my rear end kicked in Serious Business next season!

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

bucketybuck posted:

You're right, I'm not one bit happy. :argh:

We simply didn't perform though, the defensive tactics were a good choice that we never looked like breaking down.

I also had that gut feeling when I saw my striker get the yellow card, I knew he was going to end up sent-off. The bastard.

At this point I knew I wouldn't be able
to overcome your 4-5-1 advantage so I decided to just play conservatively at home and it paid off. That and I had good form going in.

Good luck with those four players that are one card away from being booted though. I do not envy your next and following games.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Rapner posted:

PTizzles star player took man of the year off me I think in the last game, despite Uwe Mehle scoring two goals.

gently caress you rights of men!

Haha, it was real close though, nice of him to pull out a big game at the end. I'm annoyed at myself because I crashed after work one evening and didn't set tactics for that game so my DVs are a bit poo poo. I think the RoM manager is an absentee...if not shame on him for a 4-0 loss.

This has been the most enjoyable season in a while for me so I'm almost sad to get promoted and have my team thumped around the park next season.

Is it odd that Nagele A have finished so far ahead of the other divs?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

PTizzle posted:

Haha, it was real close though, nice of him to pull out a big game at the end. I'm annoyed at myself because I crashed after work one evening and didn't set tactics for that game so my DVs are a bit poo poo. I think the RoM manager is an absentee...if not shame on him for a 4-0 loss.

This has been the most enjoyable season in a while for me so I'm almost sad to get promoted and have my team thumped around the park next season.

I'm a bit of a maid of honor lately. Runner up man of the year. Runner up best performance in Serie Goon in July. Runner up x11 manager I think. Still, not bad for figuring poo poo out 1/3 of the way into the league. I had a look and the only person I lost against in my last 810 games was you actually. Twice. Fucker.

Now if only the Retu Nagele A change reports came out already.

By the way, why is the division called Retu Nagele?

Rapner fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 25, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

In the original goon league that was the name of a ridiculously good GK on one if the teams who was strong enough to actually take free kicks etc.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

PTizzle posted:

It's something of a feature of the scheduling system: Retu A has 8 teams, meaning 14 games in the season and, since it's an even number and everyone plays every match day, you get no byes mid-season. The other divisions all have 9, so 16 games per team but one team has a bye every match day (two byes per team per season), meaning 18 match days are required. By the end of seven weeks, you've played your 14 games, while the rest of us still have as many as 4 games left to finish out, and so you're stuck (unfortunately) with two weeks of downtime. Last season a similar thing happened, but we only had one league match per week due to the cup, so some of us had byes for over a month. Sucks.

VelociBacon posted:

In the original goon league that was the name of a ridiculously good GK on one if the teams who was strong enough to actually take free kicks etc.

My keeper takes penalties. :c00l:

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

Congrats, especially impressive that you've only conceded one goal, despite having only an average GK

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

VelociBacon posted:

My keeper is good enough to take free kicks. I should start that probably.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ChrisXP posted:

Congrats, especially impressive that you've only conceded one goal, despite having only an average GK

Yeah, I've been lucky enough to develop some really, really good defenders. Clint Lovell has been on the X11 every match this season, and when I look at the all-time stats he's had 85 X11 appearances, 28 as Captain.

Guessing the right formations and such hasn't hurt either.

Seraphim Hubris
Dec 11, 2006

Rapner posted:

Nagele was my keeper and he double jumped twice in the first 3 years of the league. He was so good that he would single-handedly win games for me and dragged the Carnasaurs to several league championships.

Retu was Kade's keeper. Kade set Retu to take freekicks for him and he scored something stupid like 50 goals in his career.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Rapner posted:

I'm a bit of a maid of honor lately. Runner up man of the year. Runner up best performance in Serie Goon in July. Runner up x11 manager I think. Still, not bad for figuring poo poo out 1/3 of the way into the league. I had a look and the only person I lost against in my last 810 games was you actually. Twice. Fucker.

Now if only the Retu Nagele A change reports came out already.

I'd say that's all fairly remarkable given, like you said, how you had to turn it all around. I just hope I didn't have to sacrifice too much in terms of development to get promoted!

I saw you invited me to your other league - I'd love to join but I'm in three other leagues already, one of them with a circle of friends which I put a fair bit of time into. I think four would be a bit too much for me, sorry mate.

Thanks mate, well explained. Makes sense. I don't mind too much, can sit back and watch the other results and decide what I'm going to do with my list.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Coffeeguzzlers I guess you're going to be on the dark side of the moon now. It was nice knowing you. We'll always have Paris.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Four games left - still plenty of time for me to blow it. God knows it's happened enough times before.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
I have one player who never responds to form training at all. Is that part of the game or have I just somehow been unlucky every single time? Over three seasons I've never got him above 14 DV and his form/average form/DV this season are currently at 12/14/11 despite his having been in training almost constantly since the season began. It probably doesn't help that he's a forward and they seem to be allergic to DV, but even so this doesn't quite seem right. Especially since his only injury was a short minor one.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Stupid Vacation, forgot tactics on Thursday. Lucked out with the draw :v:

Guess I gotta beat Camoes on Monday or the championship is pretty much his :v:

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

I have one player who never responds to form training at all. Is that part of the game or have I just somehow been unlucky every single time? Over three seasons I've never got him above 14 DV and his form/average form/DV this season are currently at 12/14/11 despite his having been in training almost constantly since the season began. It probably doesn't help that he's a forward and they seem to be allergic to DV, but even so this doesn't quite seem right. Especially since his only injury was a short minor one.

Nope, sometimes some people just get hit with the ~BAD FORM CURSE~ and there's nothing you can do. It's happened to me too.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Dragongem posted:

Nope, sometimes some people just get hit with the ~BAD FORM CURSE~ and there's nothing you can do. It's happened to me too.

This is my star striker, whom I received my first day in the league as a promising 19/6, and who has managed to grow to a 26/10 because of it. My keeper, received 18 days later at 18/4, is now 25/11 in part due to the hard training trait, but mostly because his form didn't reset to 7 after every match. Terrifically underwhelming, and he's probably getting sold in the off-season because of it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Four games left - still plenty of time for me to blow it. God knows it's happened enough times before.

Oh... I guess we have a massive bye again in Retu A. I thought we were done with that! O well.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

Oh... I guess we have a massive bye again in Retu A. I thought we were done with that! O well.

No transfer window either. Bit boring.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Schedule friendlies, see if you can eke out a bit more DV and form at the expense of your fellow idle teams!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Schedule friendlies, see if you can eke out a bit more DV and form at the expense of your fellow idle teams!

Would you friendly me for old times sake or are you concerned about your form?

• Locked thread