Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
Oh god both the Spooks and Olympique are in Serie Goon. Going to be one hell of a bumpy ride this season!

Edit: For anyone who might be looking at this and considering joining, goons have been playing this game together for something like 7 years. Seven freaking years. Yes, people come and go, but for goons to be playing one browser game for so long should tell you something. You can dump hours a week into this game, or mere minutes, depending on your availability. You do not need to know or understand soccer (football) in the slightest. You can almost look at this like an XCOM game. If a guy gets injured in a game, he's often out for several weeks. Player's playing form goes up and down depending on how well they and the team are doing.

What you actually do is set up tactics before each game and click save. This can be saved as a preset (not recommended), or you can take a few seconds to switch up your strategies each game (recommended), or spend like an hour pouring over your opponent's past games trying to decide how to best set up your team for the win (you will over-analyze and gently caress it up, I guarantee it, but it's still fun!). The rest of the time you can spend scouting the free agent market for new players and setting up the training schedule for your team.

The entire game is one big balancing act. You only get so much money, and it tends to be never enough for everything you want to do. You must balance paying money to scout and recruit new players, training your current players, bribing your team to do better by setting bonuses for winning or tying, and betting on what high profile teams will win each week.

You balance your players by deciding who to play in each match. Your best players give you the best chance of winning right now, but if you don't develop your younger players, they will never progress as well as they could and you could cripple your team down the line (though it's normally not irreversible by buying a less good but still capable player from the open market). Decisions matter, sometimes for years down the road, as each season lasts around 3-4 months and you often have younger players for ~15 seasons. If you develop a young player correctly, he could be one of the best players in the league in a couple real life years. That is why so many people stick around, imo, is that you get a real sense of progression from year to year and you start to develop rivalries with other coaches after you've played them over time.

TL;DR: Your decisions matter, it's not an easy game, but it's fun, you don't need to understand soccer at all and it is not super time intensive, seriously. Try it out and ask for help in this thread.

Walamor fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Hardflip posted:

that's exactly why i'm broke every week

spend everything but 200-100k on training, use that other money for win bonuses

This. I try to keep around 1.5 million for emergencies (read: 2-3 losses in a row, tanking form, needing mass training), but normal training, 300k into youth, and win bonuses take the vast majority of my weekly money.

The fact that there's a lot of Serie Goon teams who have low money should probably be telling people something!

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Baby Cakes posted:

Cool: Game 1, minute 3, my newly purchased star forward gets injured

Right there with you, minute 3 one of my veteran MFs get injured. WTF?

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
Holy crap Clay Mendoza scored a hat trick against Olympique Merderoi. You'll have a place in my heart forever, Mendoza!

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
God drat it Hardflip, you have got to be making GBS threads me.

Also, really, a 4-3-3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Rapner posted:

The only formations I've seen use viably are 442, 451, 532 and 352.

That may just be the meta, however.

I tried 4-4-2 for a long time, and I feel like it just gets beat too much by 3-5-2 and 5-3-2 too much. I think the 5 mid is the best way to go.

• Locked thread