Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Always forget this one - since the season hasn't actually started with fixtures etc, does form get reset or am I good to train people now?

Will actually have to try to have a proper crack this season, MMFC have had a lot of absentee manageritis the last couple of seasons but I've grabbed a bunch of young blokes and am ready for the rebuild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I don't mind if people copy the basic structure of pressers as long as they put some personality into it. It's not hard!

In the other league I play in the presser quality is amazing so coming back to Goon League can be disappointing in that regard.

Had a decent start to the season thankfully, seeing my team so low on all those lists posted before (thanks for that btw) made me want to turn it around.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Referee handed out 7 cards between the two teams in my game, prick. Speaking of dumb records, what's the highest score you've seen in an XP11 game? In my other league the highest I can remember was either 8-0 or 9-0 but I've never seen anyone break 10.

I've been thinking lately about formations, mainly how little I play around with them. It's always 4-5-1, 3-5-2 or the ever so daring 5-4-1 if I really want to stonewall. Has anyone built their team around a less midfield heavy formation?

I'd say 3-5-2/4-4-2/4-5-1 would be the most common but I'm sure if you had the right players for it nearly anything would work. Anyone in Serie Goon predominantly use a 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 or something?

The only one that I couldn't see working would be the 4-2-4. Just seems like with the majority playing at least 4 in the midfield even with long balls you'd struggle. It'd be fun to try against someone who plays with 3 defenders a lot, just to see.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Rapner posted:

Norfolk-in-Chance

Your side is just insanely young across the board (as mentioned above). I'd grab a couple of cheap 30/7s-32/8s to fill gaps and get your average age up a bit.

I'd try to stonewall as well - whenever I've been dealt a poor team it seems to affect form less and you won't get belted as badly. You definitely need to boost your defense so I'd make that your first priority so you can play 5 at the back if you need to. I'd consider offloading one of those 19/5s and seeing if you can scoop up a 21-22 year old on the transfer market too. Having three 19 year olds and an 18 year old in defense is always going to be tough.

In short: get a couple of stopgap defenders and play much more defensively for the time being. I'd also consider playing long balls fairly often until you get a stronger midfield.

I'm not an expert but I got dealt a very similar team in another league that had an absentee manager beforehand, I managed to get them from dead last to the middle of the table with a few pickups and forcing draws.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Booted 6 goals from 8 chances in the first half and then nada on either in the second. I didn't tell them to take their foot off the pedal!

I feel like 'bruise' just makes your team play super dirty, I cop an insane amount of yellows. I heard somewhere that it tends to make them play better (especially if a few of them have the 'tough' trait) but I might be imagining that.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Lorem ipsum posted:

Well yea it makes them defend better but draws more cards and injuries. No one would use it ever if it didn't improve your play.

That makes sense - I was just worried it was perhaps more dependent on the 'tough' quality than I'd realised. I use it most games (apart from 7-9h refs) and I can't argue with the results this season.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Seraphim Hubris posted:

It's going to be a big week in Retu Nagele B when the top two teams square off for two matches in a row. Go Terror Shark!

Always exciting when two undefeated teams play, we had one in Retu Nagele A a little while ago too. This season has been a lot of fun really!

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

shep posted:

We don't talk about that game :mad:

I've really enjoyed this season so far, I've had some pretty decent results but you're looking unstoppable at the moment. Hope nothing happens to any of your players..

My team isn't even that great! Just had an amazing run of luck (which you'd know all about, eh eh).

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Rapner posted:

Hey it turns out when you learn a thing or two about this game you can win matches! :sun:

Nice try with the soap, but I'd save it for the game 8)

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Great game Rapner. I've been involved in so many ugly ones recently - 4 injuries, 3 yellows and a red tonight. Neither of us even had bruise on!

Getting a bit nervous as the games load recently as I don't want to break the streak. I know it'll end at some stage but ff

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Rapner posted:

Jesus, a 88 minute goal after that many injuries to lose 0-1. I'm very happy with how I handled that against a drastically stronger team.

Main lesson I learned is that I should have soaped relentlessly.

If you hadn't tried to soap me before you would have had more money for win bonuses :smug:

Well played though, I went too aggressive and very nearly got punished for it. Plus you tanked my form a fair bit in the midfield.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man, I've never been getting taken apart this badly before playing as Blue Shift, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. :smith:

From your last game, I think it was 5 vs 4 in the midfield + you having pressure on that would have done it.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Rapner posted:

Hell I set a win bonus 3x higher than I ever had before.

The average form of my midfields from that game is now 4.

Haha, my drop wasn't as drastic as that but it does look like my midfield form has been just about cut in half from where they were before - except funnily enough for the guy who was tightly marked by you. Has been good to see your side turn it around so rapidly.

Do the top 2 from each Retu Nagele division go up? I figure they do, just wanted to check. I'm going to have to start juggling players around for DV soon and I only have one gimme game left this season.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

shep posted:

You'd better not be classing our game as that gimme game!

Are you KCER? If so definitely not, I'm pumped for that one.

Sadly the streak had to end sometime:

Velocibacon you prick :argh: (well played though)

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Amazing second half from your blokes Shep, I thought I'd go close after my first half effort. Very ballsy of you to play offensive away but it paid off in spades. I'd only had 1 goal scored against me all season before that game!

Heaps of chances between us - bloody Bell managing to score a brace when I tightly marked him

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Yeah, the academy does pay off eventually. It can be frustrating for the first few seasons but I've been getting some gold in other leagues (and some decent stuff in this one too!).

Massive round in Retu Nagele A. Thank you very much Rapner, you are awesome!

e: Does anyone notice that teams take their feet off the pedals after HT when you're smashing a team? There's been a few times where I've been 4 or 5 nil up at HT and then go on to win 5 or 6 nil. Still good wins of course, just a quirk.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

shep posted:

Since Rapner got his head around the whole thing he's been constantly performing in the league, fair play to you! Gutted I lost at home and this pretty much writes off my season but well played Rapner!

Yeah, seriously. Has been a really rapid rise, well done Rapner.

I reckon (assuming we both win our last two which is a bit iffy) you'll still get promoted. You're comfortably in that 6th promotion spot at the moment and unless you drop both your games then 34 points with a 30-35 GD should get you through.

I'm not really looking forward to moving up assuming my good form continues, Serious Business always finds a way to badly expose my soccermens

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Rapner posted:

Well that just made things a bit more interesting.

PTizzle, you should lose too to make things REALLY interesting.

It's the last game of the season so I'll be going all out youth because I've neglected a heap of players trying to stay on top, so I'll do my best!

6 wins out of your last 7 - fair turnaround for Norfolk-in-Chance

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I've seen 4-3-3's work with a strong defense and long balls, but 3 in the midfield always seems to really hurt. A bloke won the other private league I play in by switching to a 5-4-1 for the last 4 games, he romped it home.

Most people do seem to swear by the 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 though. I like to try stuff at home but I'm too scared to do it away.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Rapner posted:

PTizzles star player took man of the year off me I think in the last game, despite Uwe Mehle scoring two goals.

gently caress you rights of men!

Haha, it was real close though, nice of him to pull out a big game at the end. I'm annoyed at myself because I crashed after work one evening and didn't set tactics for that game so my DVs are a bit poo poo. I think the RoM manager is an absentee...if not shame on him for a 4-0 loss.

This has been the most enjoyable season in a while for me so I'm almost sad to get promoted and have my team thumped around the park next season.

Is it odd that Nagele A have finished so far ahead of the other divs?

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Rapner posted:

I'm a bit of a maid of honor lately. Runner up man of the year. Runner up best performance in Serie Goon in July. Runner up x11 manager I think. Still, not bad for figuring poo poo out 1/3 of the way into the league. I had a look and the only person I lost against in my last 810 games was you actually. Twice. Fucker.

Now if only the Retu Nagele A change reports came out already.

By the way, why is the division called Retu Nagele?

I'd say that's all fairly remarkable given, like you said, how you had to turn it all around. I just hope I didn't have to sacrifice too much in terms of development to get promoted!

I saw you invited me to your other league - I'd love to join but I'm in three other leagues already, one of them with a circle of friends which I put a fair bit of time into. I think four would be a bit too much for me, sorry mate.

Thanks mate, well explained. Makes sense. I don't mind too much, can sit back and watch the other results and decide what I'm going to do with my list.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Assuming (hoping) I got plenty of decimal upgrades as on paper my CR was a shocker. Can't complain after winning the league but a couple of double drops for the older blokes really hurts, as does guys not skilling up with ridiculous DV/form.

Still, it has made me realise that I've probably spread myself too thin in terms of my list (22 players is far too many list cloggers), so a raft of cuts with less replacements is the go for next season. Looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

22 is a lot of players. I've got 16 - 18 last season, but one guy retired and another up and quit - and I still had trouble getting all my guys the DVs I wanted.

On the other hand, I got 10 'on paper' skill increases without a single bar dropped; in fact, only one guy didn't have a + next to his name in the CR - so I did better'n I thought I did, at least.

Having a look I did get 14 'on paper' increases so I shouldn't be too upset. Avoiding the drops is probably something I just couldn't manage with the amount of players I had! I think you'd have to be happy with yours, if you do that two seasons running you'll surely reap the rewards.

Will probably cut back to the old 2-6-6-3 I tend to run. I think it was a lack of attention paid on my part that let the list grow without care being taken

• Locked thread