Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apparently people aren't Zinn fans around here after all :P
I'm getting quite a bit out of it. Before now my understanding of American history has been whitewashed and cartoonish compared to my understanding of the present day. Although I'm Canadian, I still feel embarrassed for not knowing some of this stuff already.

It's a bummer though--that there's some cynical explanation for every triumph in American history: the Declaration of Independence, abolition, suffrage, the New Deal, the Marshall Plan... that it all came with the explicit approval or at least acquiescence of the capitalist American aristocracy, as a means to their own ends. I had no idea how storied the brutal history of American imperialism was, either.

But Zinn definitely communicates that while there's not been "victory" against the wealthy capitalists, if the poor hadn't constantly made a big stink of things, they would be in even worse shape, and there's some small hope in that: as long as unsatisfied workers continue to cause more trouble than their labour is worth in those conditions, quality of life will go up.

The accounts of some strikes are definitely repetitive, and past a certain point, the individual stories add little. But I still think this is a must-read history book.

Zackarotto fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread