Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I know we just did a non-fiction book for the past month but just to throw this out there, I've been interested in reading Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Piketty since it's definitely polarizing but has received a lot of attention (noteworthy?) since it has been published. I thought it would be a lot easier to read as a group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any remaining suggestions? Poll setup got a little delayed by the Great Downtime. I may trawl through the most recent "real literature" thread for some more suggestions.

Capital in the Twenty First Century is probably out just because it's so big and so technical and I think also somewhat back-ordered. Plus, there is a good running thread on in it in D&D already: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625993

Cheers! Thanks for the thread link, it's exactly what I was looking for. IIRC it's out for the kindle if people have that option.

As for recent literature, I was looking through the Nobel Prize thread and a Scandinavian author on the list that had been mentioned by other users sounds like it would be worthwhile.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do you mean Knut Hamsen? Hunger would probably be a decent pick but I'm a little worried about making it an Official Book Barn Pick due to the whole "author was literally a huge hitler fan" thing.

I really like the idea of picking a female author, but Deathless looks like it's fantasy -- is it? I'll probably add it to my personal list regardless, just to see how it compares to Jurgen.

In regards to the list, I haven't read any of the authors so I added them to my to-read collection; in regards to the Scandinavian discussion, there are two other female authors mentioned, Sigrid Undset's Kristin Lavransdatter and Selma Lagerlöf's Gösta Berling's Saga though I'd like to read Pär Lagerkvist's The Dwarf because I think it would be easier since it's slightly more modern.

I don't want to start another one of those cyclical debates that pop-up in the Sci-Fi thread about not reading authors' works because they're racist scumbags but he's Scandinavian and wrote something supposedly good so put it on a poll? I haven't gone through the official Book Barn Picks from before but while the authors may not have been on Knut's level, I don't believe that they were all saints either.

• Locked thread