Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

To all the ticket sites reselling tickets for loving hundreds of dollars, eat a bowl of hot dick! I just scored 2 GAPIT tickets this morning with the pre-sale!

Please buy another one and sell it to me :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

With all of the stories of ridiculous scalping, I was expecting my Vancouver show to be sold out, but tickets are still available.
Only 1 week till the show! Whoo hoo!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'll be making the trek to Merryweather Post Pavillion in Maryland for the August show. I can't miss Faith No More.

After being a fan since Epic and never seeing them live, I couldn't be more excited. I really hope they break out a Bungle song too.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

me your dad posted:

I'll be making the trek to Merryweather Post Pavillion in Maryland for the August show. I can't miss Faith No More.

After being a fan since Epic and never seeing them live, I couldn't be more excited. I really hope they break out a Bungle song too.

In case you aren't on the 9:30 club list, there is a presale tomorrow (4/9) at 10 AM, with the presale password "CAFFEINE"

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

SgtScruffy posted:

In case you aren't on the 9:30 club list, there is a presale tomorrow (4/9) at 10 AM, with the presale password "CAFFEINE"

Sweet, thanks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I had a ticket for the Vancouver show for next week but it looks like I will be out of province now. Timing sucks.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

SgtScruffy posted:

I found another pre-sale promo this morning, code "superhero" and I went ahead and bought my tickets.

redmedicine
Mar 7, 2015
new record leaked

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Excellent concert tonight. They played a pile of fan favourites, and, i think, 6 songs from the new album, which had a lot of variety. Patton has never sounded better. That guy held nothing back for every single song. His vocal chords must be made of iron.
If you're catching them live soon with Christine opening, be sure to be there early. Everyone will be talking about those guys the next day!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress it, faith no more ticket bought, gently caress ye

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

So first few listens, I really like Sol Invictus. I suspect some people are going to be disappointed its not as ground breaking or experimental as Angel Dust, but there's still some playing around with genres and more importantly plenty of great hooks, quirkyness and atmosphere. Even the more familiar stuff works for me - Matador may be Epic v2 but it's still a fantastic track for example. Time will tell how much longevity this has, but so far it's an album I really enjoy listening to.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

barren_sky posted:

If you're catching them live soon with Christine opening, be sure to be there early. Everyone will be talking about those guys the next day!
Saw them last night. Christeene was loving completely bizarre, but somehow a perfect opener for FNM.

Show was awesome, and I really dug it. Patton is insane.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Patton is insane.

That laughter during those bits on Land of Sunshine, right? Holy smokes.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

How much off Angel Dust have they been playing?

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

At mine they played Land of Sunshine, Caffeine, Midlife Crisis, and Easy (which is on some versions of the album).
Here's the setlist:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/faith-no-more/2015/pne-forum-vancouver-bc-canada-5bc88fc0.html

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

il_cornuto posted:

So first few listens, I really like Sol Invictus. I suspect some people are going to be disappointed its not as ground breaking or experimental as Angel Dust, but there's still some playing around with genres and more importantly plenty of great hooks, quirkyness and atmosphere. Even the more familiar stuff works for me - Matador may be Epic v2 but it's still a fantastic track for example. Time will tell how much longevity this has, but so far it's an album I really enjoy listening to.

Pretty much feel the same way. They didn't reinvent the wheel like they did TRT/Angel Dust but I didn't expect them to. I'm not disappointed.

The only thing I would have liked would be a few more balls out metal riffs like they had on The Real Thing, Angel Dust or KFAD.

My FNM album rankings...

1. Angel Dust
2. The Real Thing
3. King For a Day
4. Sol Invictus
5. Album of the Year
6. Introduce Yourself
7. We Care a Lot

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I was pretty disappointed with the singles for this, but the album's actually okay? Certainly better than I was expecting, given how dreadful Motherfucker is. The main issue is it doesn't feel very distinctive or cohesive as an album to me- I don't really know what the hell it is, to be honest. There's flares of FNM signatures, but much of it kind of smacks of Patton side-outlets cobbled together, and the political overtones are remarkably blunt which tends to take me out of the music. It's sort of like how haphazard King for a Day initially appears, but I think Sol Invictus lacks the overall direction and identity of that album. I'm glad I don't hate it, because I was fully expecting to, but it leaves me feeling kind of mixed in terms of the band moving forward, if they intend to. Part of me wants FNM to leave well enough alone before they fully transition into the semi-modern equivalent of dad rock.

But whatever, it'll never be the 90's again and I still like it more than Album of the Year.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I just listened through Sol Invictus, and I might be biased, but I liked it. It has the Faith No More sound, which could of been lost.

I can't wait to see them on Wednesday and hear some of the new songs live.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's a Tomahawk album with more piano and less interesting guitar parts.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

God hates a coward era Tomahawk or Stone Letter era Tomahawk. This comparison could make or break the album.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Holy smokles, "Separation Anxiety" is a goodie.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Willeh posted:

God hates a coward era Tomahawk or Stone Letter era Tomahawk. This comparison could make or break the album.
Sort of a mix? There's kind of the early era Tomahawk in some of these songs, like Cone of Shame with the twangy guitar, and some Stone Letter stuff in others- like, Motherfucker sounds like a bad Stone Letter b-side to me. Although even the harder songs don't really match the intensity of some of the Tomahawk S/T's best songs. But Tomahawk is probably the closest sound comparison for much of the stuff on this album.

I really like the heavier use of piano on it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Willeh posted:

The latter, definitely.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

comes along bort posted:

It's a Tomahawk album with more piano and less interesting guitar parts.

This is exactly how I feel. It's like if Denison left the band and they added a keyboardist. And I'm not talking first record Tomahawk, I'm talking about the crappy last album version. It's just very straight-forward and uninspired, as I knew it would be. All of these songs are forgettable.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Why would anyone listen to this over any other FNM album, at any time? Even something like Separation Anxiety, which I guess is kinda cool, but why wouldn't you just listen to Cuckoo for Caca, which is seven thousand times the cooler song?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Why would anyone listen to this over any other FNM album, at any time?

Because I've already listened to their old albums a whole bunch and it's fun to have something new to listen to. Also because I actually enjoy listening to this album and like every song on it. I don't think it's as good as their previous stuff, no, but it's still drat good and easily the best thing Patton's done in years.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

This is exactly how I feel. It's like if Denison left the band and they added a keyboardist. And I'm not talking first record Tomahawk, I'm talking about the crappy last album version. It's just very straight-forward and uninspired, as I knew it would be. All of these songs are forgettable.

Said it before but Jim Martin was irreplaceable. He didn't get a lot of songwriting credits on Angel Dust, but the tension between him and everyone else pushed them to make interesting music, and they lost that when they let him go.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I find it slightly ironic that Jim Martin hated all the "disco" poppy stuff on Angel Dust and wanted more guitar heavy poo poo, and the first album after he's gone is the only one where the guitar is the focus. I love Spruance's playing on KFAD, love the guitar tone, love most of the songs, too.

Gave the new album a listen today, wasn't blown away. In fact, I really found most songs to be a chore to get through. Separation Anxiety is cool, but like most other songs here, it takes so long to go somewhere cool. Black Friday is a neat song, I liked the splatty spring reverb on the claps, and wasn't just a boring dirge like tracks 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10 ...those songs just go nowhere and do nothing for me. They're not poorly written or performed songs, they're just boring. Superhero, Separation Anxiety, Black Friday and Matador are the only things I like, but I'm willing to give this a few more proper listens.

EDIT: And full disclosure, I actually really liked the latest Tomahawk album. Not as much as the first two albums, but I very much enjoy most of the songs (I attribute this more to me being a fan of Duane Denison, rather than Pattons' input on the album).

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 20, 2015

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

il_cornuto posted:

Because I've already listened to their old albums a whole bunch and it's fun to have something new to listen to. Also because I actually enjoy listening to this album and like every song on it. I don't think it's as good as their previous stuff, no, but it's still drat good and easily the best thing Patton's done in years.

The Moonchild record in 2014 is by far the best thing he's done in years.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Also, him choosing to spend time on this record instead of getting Fantomas back into the studio is BS. He's been saying to let FNM go for years and it's clear this was a money thing to me. He literally has four Fantomas records written and ready to record since 2010.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Also, him choosing to spend time on this record instead of getting Fantomas back into the studio is BS. He's been saying to let FNM go for years and it's clear this was a money thing to me. He literally has four Fantomas records written and ready to record since 2010.

Plus Dave Lombardo's not that busy these days.:v:

Cromulent posted:

I find it slightly ironic that Jim Martin hated all the "disco" poppy stuff on Angel Dust and wanted more guitar heavy poo poo, and the first album after he's gone is the only one where the guitar is the focus. I love Spruance's playing on KFAD, love the guitar tone, love most of the songs, too.

A lot of that had to do with Roddy being gone for much of the writing/recording, but yeah Trey Spruance is the one guy who "got it" as far as replacement guitarists go.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 21, 2015

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

il_cornuto posted:

Agreed. It's not the best FNM album. It's not close, really.

But it's new and I have listened to everything else so, so much. And it's still very good.

So...yeah. I'm not sure if I am playing in to some terrible paradigm of artists putting out poo poo work to capitalize and monetize, or whatever. That's for others to dissect. Me? I am just going to enjoy the poo poo out of it, and gently caress you to anyone else that wants to minimize that enjoyment.

Enjoyment of music is all subjective and personal anyway, and each individuals personal coloring is just that...personal.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

comes along bort posted:

A lot of that had to do with Roddy being gone for much of the writing/recording, but yeah Trey Spruance is the one guy who "got it" as far as replacement guitarists go.
Wasn't there tension with Trey and the band when they were making KFAD?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

I know I read somewhere a long time ago, probably an article that was copied and posted to the old FNM.com, that Trey didn't come with the highest of recommendations. Patton basically told the band (according to the story) that he was a good guitarist, but he was flaky, and he would inevitably let them down. And... he did, I guess?

Well anyway. That's what I heard.

And I'm going to wait before I listen to the new album. I'm sure it'll take a minute to grow on me, as most of them after TRT did.

Edit: and actually, the two before TRT took time to grow on me, too. And TRT is not even my favorite FNM album... but drat, was it ever easy to listen to.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 22, 2015

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

achillesforever6 posted:

From what I understood at the time, Trey wasn't committed to the KFAD tour cycle. Hence, enters Dean Menta the bands keyboard tech, to fill the roll requirements. Not that Trey was just out flaky.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

33rd Degree Idiot posted:

Agreed. It's not the best FNM album. It's not close, really.

But it's new and I have listened to everything else so, so much. And it's still very good.

So...yeah. I'm not sure if I am playing in to some terrible paradigm of artists putting out poo poo work to capitalize and monetize, or whatever. That's for others to dissect. Me? I am just going to enjoy the poo poo out of it, and gently caress you to anyone else that wants to minimize that enjoyment.

Enjoyment of music is all subjective and personal anyway, and each individuals personal coloring is just that...personal.

I'm not telling you not to enjoy it, you're reading way too into it and getting defensive. What I was saying is that even though it's a new album, when I hear it I just want to go back and listen to the old stuff, which means this new album, FOR ME, is not successful.

But come on, anyone expecting another Angel Dust 23 years later was delusional. I was hoping it just wasn't awful, and it's not -- there are some pretty cool songs and parts. But overall, it lacks the versatility, cohesiveness, song-writing, and overall spirit and playfulness of the prior stuff. Just seems me like they came back to tour and tried to get the juices flowing again, but I would have rather them just not do any new music because it's inevitably going to get worse and worse. I don't want them to die a slow death, they're one of my favorite bands ever. They should've left their legacy in tact. Leaving the world with Pristina was perfect to me.

That's another thing -- the ending of this record falls so flat. The first half is pretty cool but the second half is just empty. This is the same band which ended prior records with Edge of the World, Jizzlobber/Midnight Cowboy, Just A Man, and Pristina, and it feels like they just didn't know how to finish this one off.

And echoing the sentiments for Jim Martin. I liked Jon Hudson on Album of the Year but god his guitar parts are so predictable and boring on this new one.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Also, Trey was in Mr. Bungle and Patton recruited him for KFAD recording duties, but it was pretty well-known that the music wasn't Trey's cup of tea (not experimental enough for him, he wasn't really a fan of rock music either), and when he said he was leaving the band and not doing the tour, it wasn't much of a surprise.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The only band I can think of who's done the "reunion" or "comeback" and gotten it right is Swans. They reunited with a purpose and they're different and better than they've ever been.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

The only band I can think of who's done the "reunion" or "comeback" and gotten it right is Swans. They reunited with a purpose and they're different and better than they've ever been.

Dinosaur Jr. made a loving amazing reunion record with "Beyond", and the two followups were good, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Meat Puppets comeback has been wildly successful as far as I'm concerned

• Locked thread