Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'm really skeptical. I think Motherfucker on the Phone is really horrible, and I loooooove FNM/Patton. He just really hasn't been inspired/making music/making good music. I don't remember the last Patton-related record I liked.

The song sounds like a B-side, there's really just not much happening considering the buildup. Patton has said to let sleeping dogs die about FNM for years and years but honestly this kinda seems like a money grab. He's living in Italy with his wife and overseeing a venue in Hong Kong and really just resting on his laurels, which is absolutely fine, but to me this probably isn't a reunion based on, "I have so many awesome ideas, I'm so inspired, I just have to get the guys together again!"

I hope the album is good but I'm expecting it to be kinda lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Platypus Farm posted:

I thought so too at first, when they announced the reunion tour. But... holy hell, they've killed it every single time they played. The thing about money grabs is that unless someone NEEDS the money, there are a lot easier ways to make a few fistfuls of it than going through the whole bullshit about recording a whole album.

Well I mean, it's not like it's JUST for money and they hate the whole process, but it's not like FNM needed to get back together to make another record, and none of the members had any interest until every band and their dog started making bank off of reuniting. You forget, Mike is very well off, FNM can record leisurely, at their own pace, with their own studio, and they are going to rake in dough touring.

What I'm saying is, if that song is representative of the quality of the ideas on the album, then it's half-assed and pretty crappy. I don't expect another Angel Dust but I would hope there would be some new interesting exciting stuff. Even their second new song which they've played at festivals, "Leader of Men," is kinda cool for a second but it sounds like a paint-by-numbers worse version of early Faith No More. These songs sound like they're from 1992 and in a bad way, in that they're not showing relevance or treading new ground.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 25, 2014

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Swans didn't reunite out of necessity, they reunited and reinvented their sound. They had unfinished business and an idea, a new vision of where Swans could go with their sound. They're a whole different band and they're 10x better than they were musically than when they last split.

Faith No More seems like it went from, "shut up about it, it's never going to happen, we're done" to "guys this international festival circuit wants us and this is how much we're offered, let's do it" to "hey touring with you guys feels pretty good, we should write some new poo poo and be a band again" and that's understandable and I'm not faulting the band for doing that, especially if the new poo poo is good. But so far, it's really not, and to me it just seems like an empty, "gently caress it why not make a record" in that sense.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I've heard everything Patton. Last Tomahawk was bad and when you mention the Dillinger EP, which is amazing, you do realize it was released in 2002, with Patton at the tail end of his peak, and that in no way is it recent?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

comes along bort posted:

It's a Tomahawk album with more piano and less interesting guitar parts.

This is exactly how I feel. It's like if Denison left the band and they added a keyboardist. And I'm not talking first record Tomahawk, I'm talking about the crappy last album version. It's just very straight-forward and uninspired, as I knew it would be. All of these songs are forgettable.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Why would anyone listen to this over any other FNM album, at any time? Even something like Separation Anxiety, which I guess is kinda cool, but why wouldn't you just listen to Cuckoo for Caca, which is seven thousand times the cooler song?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

il_cornuto posted:

Because I've already listened to their old albums a whole bunch and it's fun to have something new to listen to. Also because I actually enjoy listening to this album and like every song on it. I don't think it's as good as their previous stuff, no, but it's still drat good and easily the best thing Patton's done in years.

The Moonchild record in 2014 is by far the best thing he's done in years.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Also, him choosing to spend time on this record instead of getting Fantomas back into the studio is BS. He's been saying to let FNM go for years and it's clear this was a money thing to me. He literally has four Fantomas records written and ready to record since 2010.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

33rd Degree Idiot posted:

Agreed. It's not the best FNM album. It's not close, really.

But it's new and I have listened to everything else so, so much. And it's still very good.

So...yeah. I'm not sure if I am playing in to some terrible paradigm of artists putting out poo poo work to capitalize and monetize, or whatever. That's for others to dissect. Me? I am just going to enjoy the poo poo out of it, and gently caress you to anyone else that wants to minimize that enjoyment.

Enjoyment of music is all subjective and personal anyway, and each individuals personal coloring is just that...personal.

I'm not telling you not to enjoy it, you're reading way too into it and getting defensive. What I was saying is that even though it's a new album, when I hear it I just want to go back and listen to the old stuff, which means this new album, FOR ME, is not successful.

But come on, anyone expecting another Angel Dust 23 years later was delusional. I was hoping it just wasn't awful, and it's not -- there are some pretty cool songs and parts. But overall, it lacks the versatility, cohesiveness, song-writing, and overall spirit and playfulness of the prior stuff. Just seems me like they came back to tour and tried to get the juices flowing again, but I would have rather them just not do any new music because it's inevitably going to get worse and worse. I don't want them to die a slow death, they're one of my favorite bands ever. They should've left their legacy in tact. Leaving the world with Pristina was perfect to me.

That's another thing -- the ending of this record falls so flat. The first half is pretty cool but the second half is just empty. This is the same band which ended prior records with Edge of the World, Jizzlobber/Midnight Cowboy, Just A Man, and Pristina, and it feels like they just didn't know how to finish this one off.

And echoing the sentiments for Jim Martin. I liked Jon Hudson on Album of the Year but god his guitar parts are so predictable and boring on this new one.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Also, Trey was in Mr. Bungle and Patton recruited him for KFAD recording duties, but it was pretty well-known that the music wasn't Trey's cup of tea (not experimental enough for him, he wasn't really a fan of rock music either), and when he said he was leaving the band and not doing the tour, it wasn't much of a surprise.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The only band I can think of who's done the "reunion" or "comeback" and gotten it right is Swans. They reunited with a purpose and they're different and better than they've ever been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'll leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxv1gzId2Fk

• Locked thread