Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

tarlibone posted:

I came here to post this... but I figured someone would beat me to it.

Here's a link to the Rolling Stone article.

I'm excited as hell, but also very curious. FNM albums live in their own little worlds; listen to Angel Dust some time and try to wrap your ears around the fact that it was preceded by The Real Thing and followed by King For A Day.

(And you should listen to Angel Dust anyway. Greatest album ever, in my opinion.)
I don't know King for a Day is pretty on par with Angel Dust in my opinion, mainly because its basically a more accessible Mr. Bungle album. Also god I hope they come close to Western PA when they do the US tour.

Man I wish Faith No More was just as popular in the US as they are in South America, Europe and Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Patton's movie scores have been pretty good, also his voicework as the Darkness was great, oh and that Secret Chiefs 3 song was also fun.

I really do love Mondo Cane though

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

techno allah posted:

I couldn't disagree more. King for a Day was Faith No More's crowning achievement. There are no genre borders, the guitar work is amazing, and it ends with the perfect song
I don't know why Trey hated working on that album because all the work in it is pretty solid.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

No Pittsburgh show :smith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Quirk posted:

Right, it was over a decade ago was that the one that had the least amount? I remember one having no keyboards or very few and I didn't like it.
I don't know how anyone can dislike songs like "Star AD" or "Just a man" or "Evidence", but then again I just love albums that switch genres around at a whim.

The reason for no keyboards was because something happened to Roddy right?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I've been watching a lot of old Mr. Bungle concerts and man I wish I was actually born and old enough to go to them. Mike is just amazing even as a 18 year old punk

I know that a Mr. Bungle reunion is never going to happen even though Mike has lighten up on the idea of doing it since he's cool with Trey now, but I wish for the new Faith No More album there was just one track that was a bunch of random cover songs or the Thunderball theme.

Also Dunn needs to release that Mr. Bungle book that he said he thought of doing.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I saw them play Jizzlobber live in '92 and Mike introduced the song as a Allman Brothers cover. The predominately southern crowd cheered only to have the fingers in the ears minutes later. Hah! No one fucks with crowd better than Mike Patton or G.G. Allin.
I love any early 90s MTV appearance by Faith No More because Mike just spends most of his time loving with the hosts and crowd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap4uUTIJpro

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Album is called Sol Invictus

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://marvel.com/news/comics/24157/faith_no_more_brings_superhero_to_marvel
Little neat interview from Marvel with Bill Gould about the song and how much of a nerd he used to be as a kid

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

comes along bort posted:

A lot of that had to do with Roddy being gone for much of the writing/recording, but yeah Trey Spruance is the one guy who "got it" as far as replacement guitarists go.
Wasn't there tension with Trey and the band when they were making KFAD?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

The only band I can think of who's done the "reunion" or "comeback" and gotten it right is Swans. They reunited with a purpose and they're different and better than they've ever been.
I know this is a pretty lame example but Meat Loaf's comeback in the early 90s was pretty sweet after all the poo poo and drugs that happened in the 80s after he left Jim Steinman

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Also, Trey was in Mr. Bungle and Patton recruited him for KFAD recording duties, but it was pretty well-known that the music wasn't Trey's cup of tea (not experimental enough for him, he wasn't really a fan of rock music either), and when he said he was leaving the band and not doing the tour, it wasn't much of a surprise.
And I imagine working with Patton on both Mr. Bungle along with FNM must have been a pain because as much as I love Patton he kind of seems like a guy who is a perfectionistic rear end in a top hat and can be really really petty when you slight him.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

comes along bort posted:

I wonder if that was really the case in Bungle considering Spruance and Trevor Dunn were the more dominant songwriters.
Well this is from a 2007 interview with Trey about why they hadn't spoken in years

quote:

I know this is a tired old topic, but my readers would kill me if I didn't ask about it – why have you and Mike Patton not spoken in years? Did your friendship die out because of Mr. Bungle or Faith No More, or did you just go separate ways, or something else entirely?
As time wears on you find out who your friends are, and who they aren't. Mike and I always had the best working relationship imaginable. Really, very very good and fruitful. There are other things in life we see differently. I don't think those things are irreconcilable at all. But when you get used to having things your own way, and certain people around you resist the "natural order" of becoming subordinate to you, you may start nursing resentments. Even lashing out at them and calling them egomaniacs etc. for not assuming the position. I think in my case it was too painful for Patton to realize that where there are no subordinates there is no insubordination. Like most of us, Mike tends to begin the process of deciding whether or not he can afford to discard a person's point of view altogether, rather than facing certain difficult facts of life. So to answer your question, there was never any big mess between he and I specifically. The general dysfunction coming from being expected to silently endure more and more of this emerging top-down/top-dog order-barking thing he'd taken to just ended up getting really tiresome for everyone involved. In a band, strong personalities need to know where to draw the line on this kind of stuff. Anyway, since it wasn't going to happen, I was the idiot who started to draw that line. I admit I had more emotional involvement in the process than would be neccesary for a non-robot, having poured comparatively ridiculously copious doses of my blood into the project. Patton's subsequent resentment towards me is a fairly predictable outcome. You don't stand up to him and stay off the poo poo-list. A bummer, yeah, but its essentially a self-protecting reflex action - something I don't really feel a need to hold against him too much. He has his way. It won't change. And after all why should it? This method works well for him overall -- who am I to question it? I dare say it's even part of his charm. (we are a nation of pathological narcissists after all!). Whatever. Really, I feel fondly about the time we spent making music together, and feel we did some great things. And, while I am diametrically opposed to it on a human level, over time I do appreciate the clarity of his cut and dry approach: how black and white it makes things. You're either in the club, or out of the club. Unfortunately, I have to say I do prefer life as an excommunicate from that kind of 'friendship'. I know he prefers it that way too. I'm sure both of us would agree it was a good run, though.
I was happy to see Patton show up for that one Secret Chiefs 3 song though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKMVzmoYnLU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://loudwire.com/duff-mckagan-faith-no-more-gimp-onstage/
This is pretty great

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Neat Rollingstone article about how the band got together again
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/faith-no-more-how-rocks-most-contrarian-band-made-up-and-came-back-20150512?page=3

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

oriface posted:

Ugh I don't know, but they play it every show. It was a great ha ha song when they first played it in the nineties, but I hate that it takes a spot in every show since. It is marginally better than that Bee Gees cover that seems to get played every other show.
A shame they don't just do one whole bit that is nothing but covers.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

tarlibone posted:

That'd be quite an eclectic show.

Easy, followed by I Wanna gently caress Myself, and then Greenfields... you might actually force some people to have an aurally induced seizure.
I know I bring up Mr. Bungle a lot but watching those live concerts from the early 90s are great because they would just do a few of their songs and all these covers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE3_EL7aVi8
@22:00 they do the MTV Theme / MTV News; Rhythm Nation; Free Fallin'; Living in Sin; We Didn't Start the Fire; Love Shack; Heaven

And its glorious

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/05/ranking-every-faith-no-more-song-from-worst-to-best/
Someone spent a lot of time making this and I still can't get over the fact that he thinks the Patton version of "As the Worm Turns" is awful. :catstare:

That and saying RV, Cuckoo for CaCa, Live at Brixton, and Ugly in the Morning are bad

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I'm glad that by 1989 that Patton decided to stop looking like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nufEC9-Ovgg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

NPR interview with Mike Patton
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/05/28/410264594/faith-no-mores-mike-patton-you-create-your-own-freedom
I like how he talks about the fact that he sees no meanings in his lyrics

• Locked thread