Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I came here to post this... but I figured someone would beat me to it.

Here's a link to the Rolling Stone article.

I'm excited as hell, but also very curious. FNM albums live in their own little worlds; listen to Angel Dust some time and try to wrap your ears around the fact that it was preceded by The Real Thing and followed by King For A Day.

(And you should listen to Angel Dust anyway. Greatest album ever, in my opinion.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

got dat wmd posted:

Patton is my favourite vocalist of all time which is hack to say because of how good and varied he is across all genres but it's true.

Gotta say despite, Introduce Yourself is an incredibly underrated FNM record.

I know. It's been buggin' me since the day I was born.

quote:

The vocalist on it did have a limited range musically for the band but there are some great tracks on it. The bass line to Anne's Song is one of my favs to play to warm up.

It really is a pretty cool album. I cringe a little inside when I hear Chuck Mosley "singing" most of the time, but there is a raw, funky tone in the music that's hard not to like. And the bass line in Anne's song is a great one to learn how to slap and pop on bass: nice easy tempo, it's not too crazy, and you basically do that one riff for most of the song. Great stuff.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Live FNM and studio FNM aren't the same thing.

I'm pretty excited about the new album. In preparation and celebration, I've been listening to Angel Dust at least once a month for... oh, since 1992 or so....

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Nice and heavy. I love it. This one doesn't need any time to grow on me.

I like the use of Patton's voice as a sample, especially toward the end where it's very noticeable. This one sounds like it's just an inch away from delving into pure experimental noise, but it holds itself in just enough to keep that from happening. It's unstable and heavy. Love it so far.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

Wasn't there tension with Trey and the band when they were making KFAD?

I know I read somewhere a long time ago, probably an article that was copied and posted to the old FNM.com, that Trey didn't come with the highest of recommendations. Patton basically told the band (according to the story) that he was a good guitarist, but he was flaky, and he would inevitably let them down. And... he did, I guess?

Well anyway. That's what I heard.

And I'm going to wait before I listen to the new album. I'm sure it'll take a minute to grow on me, as most of them after TRT did.

Edit: and actually, the two before TRT took time to grow on me, too. And TRT is not even my favorite FNM album... but drat, was it ever easy to listen to.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 22, 2015

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Is anyone else watching Faith No More live on Yahoo! Screen?

Edit: holy crap, Chuck Mosley.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
It was kind-of cool seeing Chuck Mosley get up there for a song. And it was also a decent reminder of why they hired Mike Patton.

But still, cool move by FNM.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Jeffe posted:

The set list disappointed me... no Digging the Grave, As The Worm Turns, or Cone of Shame :(

I still haven't listened to the leaded Sol invictus, so I don't know CoS. Digging the Grave is a cool tune, but I'd prefer to hear What a Day to that. It's just a little wackier, a little nuttier, a little faithnomorier.

But skipping As the Worm Turns... yeah, I felt that. When I saw Chuck come out, I wondered if maybe we'd hear We Care a Lot or As the Worm Turns. But now, we got... Mark Bowen.

Other than that, I liked the setlist. I would have liked to hear some other stuff, like Land of Sunshine, Falling to Pieces, Woodpecker from Mars, and Last Cup of Sorrow. And As the Worm Turns, of course. But, hey, what can you do? I can't get tickets to the nearest show to me (in Chicago), so this was a treat.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
FNM were on Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show last night. They played Superhero on a small version of their live-show stage, and for the web, they did a nice version of Easy that Jimmy requested.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

A shame they don't just do one whole bit that is nothing but covers.

That'd be quite an eclectic show.

Easy, followed by I Wanna gently caress Myself, and then Greenfields... you might actually force some people to have an aurally induced seizure.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/05/ranking-every-faith-no-more-song-from-worst-to-best/
Someone spent a lot of time making this and I still can't get over the fact that he thinks the Patton version of "As the Worm Turns" is awful. :catstare:

That and saying RV, Cuckoo for CaCa, Live at Brixton, and Ugly in the Morning are bad

I saw a list like this not too long ago for Nirvana. Might have even been the same website.

What's striking here is that the Nirvana list included stuff that you'd only ever think about listening to all the way through because Nirvana did it, and some of it was before they called themselves Nirvana. We're talking 5th generation bootleg cassette recordings from late night college radio station shows. And at no point does the person making the list and commenting feel the need to call anything dumb or stupid.

But here, that's a recurring theme.

No two lists of FNM's songs from worst to best will ever be the same, but the choices here were odd, and his inexplicable fascination with Chuck Mosley as, from what I read, the only singer talented enough to sing Chuck Mosley FNM songs, is just... wow. I mean, wow. Don't get me wrong, I like the first to FNM albums, and Chuck is part of their charm. But I can't think of a song besides maybe Anne's Song that Patton couldn't do better. Every one I've heard Patton do is better, in fact, and now that I think about it, he could make Anne's Song better if he wanted to.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

And I thank you.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

caligulamprey posted:

Ever hear the demos of Chuck doing the Real Thing songs?

That's some weird alternate universe poo poo.

Yes! I think I still have them on my hard drive, actually. I downloaded them eons ago from the Caca Volante FTP site. They had MP3s of all the oddball, hard-to-get tunes back in the day, and it only took 25 minutes to download each one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Duro posted:

Is that the "New Improved Song" demo?

I think I own that on a weird compilation record

If there was another Chuck Mosley Real Thing demo, then I didn't hear it and I'm quite curious

New Improved Song... yes. For some reason, I'm thinking there was another one, but I can't find any proof of that.

• Locked thread