Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I hate to say it, but I really didn't like the two new tracks they played live a few months ago. I did like that song Matador which they debuted a few years ago, so I'm still holding out hope that the album will be good.

Regardless, I will be seeing them live again if they come to the northeast. I caught them in Philadelphia in 2010 and they were fantastic, and Patton was in a great mood (although it's kind of entertaining hearing testy Patton bark at Puffy "Come on, start the loving song! Now!").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I find it slightly ironic that Jim Martin hated all the "disco" poppy stuff on Angel Dust and wanted more guitar heavy poo poo, and the first album after he's gone is the only one where the guitar is the focus. I love Spruance's playing on KFAD, love the guitar tone, love most of the songs, too.

Gave the new album a listen today, wasn't blown away. In fact, I really found most songs to be a chore to get through. Separation Anxiety is cool, but like most other songs here, it takes so long to go somewhere cool. Black Friday is a neat song, I liked the splatty spring reverb on the claps, and wasn't just a boring dirge like tracks 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10 ...those songs just go nowhere and do nothing for me. They're not poorly written or performed songs, they're just boring. Superhero, Separation Anxiety, Black Friday and Matador are the only things I like, but I'm willing to give this a few more proper listens.

EDIT: And full disclosure, I actually really liked the latest Tomahawk album. Not as much as the first two albums, but I very much enjoy most of the songs (I attribute this more to me being a fan of Duane Denison, rather than Pattons' input on the album).

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 20, 2015

• Locked thread