Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I was pretty disappointed with the singles for this, but the album's actually okay? Certainly better than I was expecting, given how dreadful Motherfucker is. The main issue is it doesn't feel very distinctive or cohesive as an album to me- I don't really know what the hell it is, to be honest. There's flares of FNM signatures, but much of it kind of smacks of Patton side-outlets cobbled together, and the political overtones are remarkably blunt which tends to take me out of the music. It's sort of like how haphazard King for a Day initially appears, but I think Sol Invictus lacks the overall direction and identity of that album. I'm glad I don't hate it, because I was fully expecting to, but it leaves me feeling kind of mixed in terms of the band moving forward, if they intend to. Part of me wants FNM to leave well enough alone before they fully transition into the semi-modern equivalent of dad rock.

But whatever, it'll never be the 90's again and I still like it more than Album of the Year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Willeh posted:

God hates a coward era Tomahawk or Stone Letter era Tomahawk. This comparison could make or break the album.
Sort of a mix? There's kind of the early era Tomahawk in some of these songs, like Cone of Shame with the twangy guitar, and some Stone Letter stuff in others- like, Motherfucker sounds like a bad Stone Letter b-side to me. Although even the harder songs don't really match the intensity of some of the Tomahawk S/T's best songs. But Tomahawk is probably the closest sound comparison for much of the stuff on this album.

I really like the heavier use of piano on it.

• Locked thread