Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

gnome7 posted:

Games no one should play:
Dokapon Kingdom

I have heard nothing but terrible/insane things about Dokapon Kingdom and it just makes me want to see it get LP'd more and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

It took a couple months to actually sit down and do it, but I'm finally delivering on that actual effort I mentioned back when I posted the first graph. I haven't put any screenshots up on imgur yet because I'm working on finding a way to export the graphs and their labels as images so I don't have to deal with taking, resizing, and uploading screenshots, but you can see all three of the current charts on the new page I put together on my hosting: http://www.njriccio.com/lp/mariographs.cfm

Right now the only real end result change is that the graphs look prettier (especially the character usage graph), but now that this is all set up properly it'll make it much easier to keep track of and display pretty much anything I want.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

JavaJesus posted:

It took a couple months to actually sit down and do it, but I'm finally delivering on that actual effort I mentioned back when I posted the first graph. I haven't put any screenshots up on imgur yet because I'm working on finding a way to export the graphs and their labels as images so I don't have to deal with taking, resizing, and uploading screenshots, but you can see all three of the current charts on the new page I put together on my hosting: http://www.njriccio.com/lp/mariographs.cfm

Right now the only real end result change is that the graphs look prettier (especially the character usage graph), but now that this is all set up properly it'll make it much easier to keep track of and display pretty much anything I want.

:monocle:

That is really cool! My only possible suggestion there is possibly moving the keys off to the side; but at the moment they're only covering up part of Seer's line and really who cares about Seer. :D

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, I think the fairy's dancing along with you because you just freed her and she's happy?

Anyway, I'm loving the crown drama.

The T
May 29, 2010

Hey guys! Sooo...

I just started classes for the semester this week and they kind of hit me out of nowhere! Needless to say, they're going to be taking a lot of my time.

So I think I'm probably going to switch over to a bi-weekly update schedule. I would ask, if that's alright with everyone, but the only responses I'd likely get are "why would anyone care, you don't owe us poo poo" and "WHY WOULD YOU TAKE AWAY MY FREE ENTERTAINMENT".

That said, I appreciate all of you who are watching and enjoying it and I'll do my best to get it out as quick as I can, and do my best to keep the quality as good as I can. I definitely feel like some weeks I rush through it and haven't done quality as well as I could have (although I guess no one else seemed to notice...?) and I don't want to make that the standard.

So with THAT said... see you next Friday.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

So while The T is busy taking away our free entertainment, I'm here to fill in the gap with (proof of concept for) new content! Having given the group a table in my database and a page on my website, I have so much more freedom in terms of the type of data I can record and display, which means that this

JavaJesus posted:

Damnit Annie, now I'm gonna be wondering if I'm crazy enough to go back and rewatch this just to keep track of how long you were in a bubble. :mad:

I'm...probably gonna be crazy enough to do it someday. :negative:
is gonna be coming back, even crazier than I first imagined.

Like I mentioned this is just proof of concept so it's just some dummy data I threw in to figure stuff out, but what I've got here is a combo display of the time everybody spends in a bubble. The X axis on the bottom is the time spent in a given stage in seconds, and the Y axis is the time spent in a bubble. So by following the lines of this test data, you can see that Annie entered a bubble around 48 seconds after the stage started, and stayed in the bubble for about 13 seconds. Then she bubbled again at around 202 seconds and stayed for another 30 seconds before exiting for the rest of the stage. I've also got bars in the background showing the total amount of time each player spent in a bubble for the stage. And yes, I realize that the lines on the right side of the graph show the same information, but the bars are better because shut up.

Once I get some actual data recorded I'll be putting this graph up on the page I linked earlier along with some magic to navigate between the bubble graphs for the different stages so I won't be cluttering up either the page or the thread with tons of graphs/screenshots.

tetracontakaidigon
Apr 21, 2013
as a computer scientist, I hope that when you apply for your next job this website is in your portfolio

(seriously though, your charts are awesome and perfect!)

The T
May 29, 2010

JavaJesus, you are loving insane. Godspeed.

Also, just remembered I should probably post the update!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Not enough green stars to break that Bowser statue?

Anyway, continuing to enjoy four-player chaos. It seems like the crown fights have died down, a little.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Not enough yet, but we probably play it next video.

iirc we played every level within the main story, up to and including the final boss. If we somehow get together again we'd probably try to do the bonus worlds but who knows if that'll happen! v:shobon:v

(3/4 of us at least will probably be at Magfest :ssh:)

The T
May 29, 2010

majormonotone posted:

(3/4 of us at least will probably be at Magfest :ssh:)

That said we'll be staying in a hotel and probably won't be recording anything because bringing everything needed for a recording set up in a hotel room probably isn't feasible. Plus we'll be doing actual poo poo!

THAT said if any cool people want to stalk us then feel free.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

The other day I finally took some time to start recording actual bubble times, so the first two stages are now complete (as a reminder, the non-Imgur'd bubble graphs on my site have a small bit of Javascript magic to let you navigate through the available stages):

It recently occurred to me though that as neat as these graphs are, they aren't yet answering the original question of "How much time did Annie spend in a bubble?". Now, I should be able to put together a summary graph at the end of all the individual stage graphs that totals everything up, but before I start on it I wanted to get an opinion or two from the thread: Do you guys want to see a full timeline of all the stages mashed together into one graph along with the total time spent in a bubble, or should I just stick with adding up the times and ignore the timeline?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
A full graph would be amazing.

The T
May 29, 2010

Nintendo Land is amazing and is worth owning a WiiU over. Assuming you have friends. This thread is now for talking about how fun Nintendo Land is. Get to it nerds.

JavaJesus posted:

Do you guys want to see a full timeline of all the stages mashed together into one graph along with the total time spent in a bubble, or should I just stick with adding up the times and ignore the timeline?

1. You are insane for doing this and I wish you all the luck in the world.
2. I have no major preference. That said I wouldn't mind little stuff like a total chart for each World or something silly like that. (Whether it be a bar graph or a timeline.)
3. Please don't overstress yourself with this though! :)

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

JavaJesus posted:

Do you guys want to see a full timeline of all the stages mashed together into one graph along with the total time spent in a bubble, or should I just stick with adding up the times and ignore the timeline?

The more detailed, the more amusing, but don't burn yourself out over it.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

The T posted:

3. Please don't overstress yourself with this though! :)

ZeeToo posted:

The more detailed, the more amusing, but don't burn yourself out over it.
Haha no worries. While I make no guarantees on the speed of data entry, I'm unlikely to burn out on actually writing new code, since that's the fun part for me. :)

And now in keeping with the new thread focus, Nintendo Land is indeed super fun and everybody should play it. Although The T, if you want to keep Zelda arching you need to step up your game. :colbert: So many unbroken pots and unsniped enemies.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Nintendo Land is like the only game we played where I was actually competent. I fuckin wrecked that Zelda game

The T
May 29, 2010

JavaJesus posted:

Although The T, if you want to keep Zelda arching you need to step up your game. :colbert: So many unbroken pots and unsniped enemies.

It was literally my 2nd time playing it, and in addition to that, I was sitting right next to Annie and my range of motion was somewhat limited. Swinging around the big rear end Gamepad isn't really optimal for aiming, especially when you want to avoid elbowing your friends.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
But when you're using the gamepad, it's usually best if you just use the stick to look around and only tilt to make adjustments to that. First time I played that game I was on a cramped couch with a bunch of kids and I don't recall having to brutalize them with my gorilla arms, and I don't think the action was fast enough even in the later levels for me to need to move it quickly. The real difficulty is in not killing everyone around you when trying to use the 1:1ish motion control with the sword...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

You guys should also use your shield more in the Zelda game! If you have your shield up, you stop moving and take no damage from enemies.

If you see archers on sniper platforms or whatever, put your shield up and let the archer take them out. When I'm playing with my family, we usually shout, "Sniper!" and put up our shields. We've gotten to the 7th level or so this way. It gets really hard as you go along.

That ghost mini-game is great too. It and the Zelda one are my favorites.

The T
May 29, 2010

We finally get a discussion going in the thread and it's just you guys making fun of how bad we are. ;)

I think if the main LP proves anything, it's that we are hopeless when it comes to teamwork.

Cheez posted:

But when you're using the gamepad, it's usually best if you just use the stick to look around

YOU CAN DO THAT?! FUUUUUUCK

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The T posted:

Wow, not a single "get well soon" or "hope everything's ok"? Some fans I have...!

Sorry, I'm just upset that you and majormonotone haven't started up the Chameleon Twist 2 LP.

The T
May 29, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

Sorry, I'm just upset that you and majormonotone haven't started up the Chameleon Twist 2 LP.

Well maybe if you didn't quote and respond to posts from JULY... :rolleyes:

But nah seriously, both me and major are getting wrecked pretty hard with both school and life, but it's still on the table. It's why my update schedule slowed down, naturally.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, now that you say it Nintendo Land really put on a good showcase of asymmetric gameplay modes.

I don't know how much multiplayer is a concern for the WiiU in general, but it really seems like that screen is woefully underused.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, there are very few games that really attempt anything interesting using two-screen or asymmetric gameplay, and the ones that do tend to be minigame collections or other "non-core" games that get written off as gimmicks or timewasters, so the concept never really seems to go anywhere.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The T posted:

Well maybe if you didn't quote and respond to posts from JULY... :rolleyes:

That's just how I roll :colbert:

Look forward to new updates, though.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

Look forward to new updates, though.
While I don't have any fun videos of Mario shenanigans, I do have an update to post!

ZeeToo posted:

The more detailed, the more amusing
I took this to heart and found a way to add even more detail in addition to totaling the bubble times both by world and overall (although until I record anything from world 2 and later they're the same graph): Bonus data will show up to the right of the graph when you hover over either a bar or a point on one of the lines!

Unfortunately the nature of things showing up on mouse hover means that I can't reasonably screenshot all of it (not to mention that as you can see from the screenshots I did take you can't see where the mouse is to produce the screen-shotted hover data) so it's only really a bonus for looking at the graphs on my site. I had fun putting it together though, so it's there if you care about it. :)

The T
May 29, 2010

JavaJesus posted:

Unfortunately the nature of things showing up on mouse hover means that I can't reasonably screenshot all of it (not to mention that as you can see from the screenshots I did take you can't see where the mouse is to produce the screen-shotted hover data) so it's only really a bonus for looking at the graphs on my site. I had fun putting it together though, so it's there if you care about it. :)

:drat:

The mouse hover stuff is really cool! And I absolutely love the "Total percent of time spent in bubble". In future videos Annie's going to get pretty high on that...

Also I was noticing for the Scores chart, since it's getting a tad cluttered, maybe dividing it up by world as well might clean it up a tad too? Not sure what to do for Cumulative Score... possibly make it wider?

Thanks for everything though. You're rad as gently caress!

The T
May 29, 2010

At the start of this video I mention Steam snowglobes, immediately dating this LP more than anything else possibly could.

Bonus Games We Should Have Played But Didn't:
Power Stone 2
(not related to anything but gently caress we really should have)

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Oh god those flips. It's bad enough in mario galaxy where you had to spin to flip them. When it's just jumping :gonk:

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

The flipping panels were great, but what was even better was seeing you all pull together (mostly) to navigate two huge paths of flip panels only to completely wipe trying to get the stamp. All it needed was one of you purposely killing another and it would have been the epitome of multiplayer Mario.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

This video made me feel good about myself, and also made me hate the T just a little more

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Player 3 is making a pretty big comeback after being shut out of the crown for so long.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Glazius posted:

Player 3 is making a pretty big comeback after being shut out of the crown for so long.

Don't worry, it all comes crashing down soon

The T
May 29, 2010

And our 3rd and final recording session begins!!

That isn't to say the LP is ending any time soon, as the 3rd session is by far the longest, and there are still plenty of bonus videos to do.

I can't believe I managed to get this video up this week! I've had a lot of wild things including a paper for a group project, and also a root canal. Right now I have some gum in my tooth that is supposed to serve as a temporary tooth until I get a crown put on it? And it's not very effective.

Anyway, hope you enjoy this episode.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, you guys were getting wrecked by environmental hazards this time out. Is it tough to maneuver with everybody?

The T
May 29, 2010

More Nintendo Land!!

It's amazing we never made Seer be the one player, considering he is clearly the most hated out of all of us. (Or wait, is that me?)

Oh also, don't know if it's just more noticeable to me or not but there are times where you can hear the noise the Wii Remotes are making when we're shooting in the Metroid game. I muted them any time we weren't talking, but there's no real way to mute them when we are. So just in case you were wondering what those noises were??

Bonus Games We Should Have Played But Didn't:
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (multiplayer)

The T fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 24, 2014

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

The T posted:

It's amazing we never made Seer be the one player, considering he is clearly the most hated out of all of us. (Or wait, is that me?)

It's you, yeah

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'll applaud for the Toads actually catching Mario this time out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

I bet you guys thought I wasn't going to make the update today!!

Don't worry, I was worried about the same thing. I've been busy all week with school stuff and I ended up finishing this one this morning. :P

Also, while working on the banner I realized the answer to the video title: No one, that's why he's wearing a crown.

• Locked thread