Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

:siren: A Goonrace is happening!! Sign up now!! :siren:

Super Mario 3D World is the hybrid successor to the New Super Mario Bros. Wii games and Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS. It mashes up all the fun of dicking over your friends and throwing them into pits with all the fun of being in the third dimension! But you probably all knew that already, I mean come on now.

This LP started life when The T and majormonotone, internet BFFs forever, decided that meeting up so they could be losers in the same physical space was an important goal. So, in January of 2014, major and major's girlfriend, tetracontakaidigon Annie took a trip to the magical land of Orlando. Together with The T, they ventured into the Magical World of Disney™, and visited such exotic locales as the Magic Kingdom and Japan. And, naturally, they saved one day for recording horrible internet videos. Due to a series of audio issues that The T had been too lazy to fix, those videos have been sitting on The T's hard drive... until this day.

THIS IS THE STORY OF THOSE INTERNET VIDEOS.

Together with The T's internet-friend-who-coincidentally-happened-to-live-in-Orlando-and-therefore-is-convenient-for-being-in-videos-with-friend Seer, the 4 loaded up a variety of games, mostly the simple competitive multiplayer style, not really intending to do a whole lot of them. But then Super Mario 3D World entered the fray, and major insisted: We've started this game, we will finish it.

And so over the course of the next at least 9 hours of that day, many games were played. And Mario 3D World... might have been beaten?

Featuring in order of appearance:

PLAYER 1 | The T
Favorite Character: Peach
Least Favorite Character: Luigi
The T is a renowned Let's Race superstar who secretly might be bad at video games. In his free time, he plays only Sonic the Hedgehog games.

PLAYER 2 | Seer
Favorite Character: Rosalina (who does not appear in this LP)
Least Favorite Character: "statistically I'll do better than anyone else regardless sooooooooo"
Seer is the only person who has completed, or even played, this game before, which makes him a terrible person unsuited to be in this LP.

PLAYER 3 | majormonotone
Favorite Character: Peach
Least Favorite Character: The T
major is really good at Mario 3D Land, they swear. Also full of owls.

PLAYER 4 | tetracontakaidigon Annie
Favorite Character: Green Pipe
Least Favorite Character: Flag Pole
Annie does not know what a Mario is, nor what this so-called 'third dimension' is, but she is excited to find out.

The rules are simple:
1. Random character. Always.
2. Always random. Always.

:siren: Live Streams! :siren:
3/14/2015 | The Inaugural Test T-Stream (with majormonotone and a bad audio mix!)
4/1/2015 | The Birthday Stream Part 1 | Part 2 (with majormonotone, CarpetCrawler, Dice, heytallman and Annie; and framerate issues in part 2!)
4/10/2015 | Pokémon Trading Card Game: Round 1 (with majormonotone)
4/15/2015 | Smash: Metwo Returns (with majormonotone and mateo360)
5/6/2015 | Wednesday Kart Smashing (with majormonotone for Kart and adding mateo360 for Smash)
5/9/2015 | Splatoon Global Testfire Solo! (Solo stream)
5/19/2015 | Pokemon TCG broke, so here's some random games (Divekick, RollerCoaster Tycoon, and DLC Quest, all with majormonotone)
5/23/2015 | Splatoon Global Testfibbage (Splatoon Global Testfire and Jackbox Party Pack, with majormonotone)
6/7/2015 | Fibbage and Drawful with major and Tetra! (Jackbox Party Pack)
6/22/2015 | Major & The Tigi: Stuporstar Sagas - Part 1 (major plays Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. I read fanfiction.)
7/7/2015 | Super Mario 64: 120 Stars or Bust! [Part 1!] (with majormonotone)
7/14/2015 | In Memory: Satoru Iwata (with majormonotone)
7/15/2015 | Major & The Tigi: Stuporstar Sagas - Part 2 (major plays Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. I am obnoxious.)
7/21/2015 | Super Mario 64: 88 Stars or Bust! [Part 2!] (with majormonotone; sorry about the audio levels not being great, but hopefully they're doable?)
7/27/2015 | Major & The Tigi: Stuporstar Sagas - Part 3
8/4/2015 | Super Mario 64: 52 Stars or Bust! [Part 3!]
8/5/2015 | Major & The Tigi: Stuporstar Sagas - Part 4
8/11/2015 | Super Mario 64: 24 Stars or Bust! [Part 4!]
8/18/2015 | Super Mario 64: 10 Stars or Bust! [Part 5!] (The finale!)

My Hitbox! Subscribe for more streams!
majormonotone's Hitbox! Also subscribe! major is cool!!

Like us? Check out our other works:

Note: If you want an informative LP, you're in the wrong place. You might want to look over here.

The T fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

Bonus Games We Should Have Played But Didn't:
Panel de Pon
Sonic Shuffle
A Real Fighting Game
Mario Kart
Sonic & All-Stars Racing
Sonic '06
Onechanbara? major: T I will kill you
Kinect
Dokapon Kingdom
Power Stone 2
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (multiplayer)
Pokémon Trading Card Game...?

:siren: Exciting charts by JavaJesus! Click here! :siren:

Fighting Games:

The T fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 5, 2015

The T
May 29, 2010

Hey guys sorry, it's not my fault that Luigi is just objectively the worst and most boring character.

(Realktalk Luigi is totally fine and like Luigi's Mansion owns but I dunno I always preferred Mario as a kid and so I really did see Luigi as that second banana.)

Also gently caress bicycle kick jump.

Dex01 posted:

Hey guys thanks for linking our thread in your OP

but seriously I'm suing for plagiarism

my people will be touch

No problem, and now you are legally obligated to link mine in yours right that's how this works right what oh

also your people "will be touch"? Sounds like my kind of people. :mmmsmug:

The T
May 29, 2010

So I'm going to shoot for updating every Friday, let's see how long that lasts eh?

Unfortunately, the first part of this episode is the best thing in the whole LP. It all goes downhill from here, folks. (it's been a while since we recorded this I don't actually know if this is true or not please don't leave)

The T
May 29, 2010

ChaosSamusX posted:

Down to two lives by the first part of World 2... this will be delicious.

I... actually don't think that comes up as an issue? Game Overs don't really mean anything. It's a Mario game.

The T
May 29, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

He means that the fuckery in this LP is going to be great if you guys can manage to dick yourselves out of ten lives in a single world.

Hah! I feel dumb. Sorry ChaosSamusX. :X

The T
May 29, 2010

And now we're going to do something a bit different!

So, as I sort of alluded to, the original intention when we started playing Super Mario 3D World was... just to record us playing a bunch of random games and have fun. We never INTENDED to finish Super Mario 3D World...

But obviously, those random videos are still around, right? So might as well post them as ~BONUS VIDEOS~!!

This video actually came from a batch of recordings the day prior to "Mario Day". So because of that, Seer isn't in it!

I hope you enjoy how bad we are!

The T
May 29, 2010

Jeez guys I tried to explain it well enough in the video~

Am I really that boring to listen to? :v:

The T
May 29, 2010

Back to more Mario! The Bonus videos will probably show up about once every 2 regular updates.

At the end of this video is when the decision was actually made (by major) for us to LP the entire game. And so well here we are!

I'm also going to make a list of games we should have played but didn't end up playing, and update it periodically if we mention games:
Panel de Pon
Sonic Shuffle

The T fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 27, 2014

The T
May 29, 2010

gnome7 posted:

Multiplayer Mario is harrowing and dangerous.

A+ answer.

Also I would really love to see someone as spergy as me (but who has more free time) do something with the scores/collect stats on the game. I'd love to see how the scores played out over time.

The T
May 29, 2010

JavaJesus posted:

Here's a quick chart of the scores so far. I may or may not put some actual effort into making something better, but there's no reason I can't at the very least keep this chart updated.

I actually love this, but looking at it I do have to wonder... it makes it easier to compare scores from level to level, which isn't really... an interesting thing, since level lengths/possible scores can vary so significantly. I love the idea of easily being able to see how everyone compared on a given level, when compared to the next level, on and on like that though, so I'm not suggesting you throw it out or anything!

Also to be even more of a nerd, may I suggest making the colors be our favorite colors? :X Mine is red, major is purple (perfect!), Annie is teal, and I guess Seer is green because he always has a Link icon but I didn't actually bother to go ask him!

Also Summer Games Done Quick is just starting with Super Mario 3D World! See how people better than us play it.

The T
May 29, 2010

I have a sore throat and can't think of anything funny to say!

We reuse a stolen joke a whole lot in this video! I blame major even though I started it.

The T
May 29, 2010

Hey guys! I was going to update today!

But then last week in the middle of the week I became sick and I'm still actually sick and just never got around to working on cleaning the audio!

So I'm going to lie and say I'm taking the day off for the holiday.

So to all my Canadian fans, European fans, and any-other-placian fans, Happy Friday!

The T
May 29, 2010

Wow, not a single "get well soon" or "hope everything's ok"? Some fans I have...!

Oh well, I guess you earned this anyway.

A Real Fighting Game

The T
May 29, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

We need a gif of that "pro" segment of playing between Espio and Amy near the end there.

Which part in particular? Also my yelling "NO" probably wouldn't come through the gif. Or is the opening the Xbox menu the important bit?

The T
May 29, 2010

Yeah ok.

The T
May 29, 2010

Aaah I'm in the middle of packing so I can move tomorrow but I still found time to finish up the audio for this one!

This is probably my favorite episode so far and features what is probably my favorite level. Enjoy!

Mario Kart
Sonic & All-Stars Racing*

*Funny story about this: me and major actually did play this, when we went to Disney Quest! They actually had an arcade machine for the first game for whatever reason. Naturally we didn't try to record this though. Also I kicked major's rear end.

We also played Pac-Man Battle Royale which was pretty cool.

The T fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 25, 2014

The T
May 29, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Mount Must Dash is the best level in the game.

Other things: Hisstocrat was a glorious display of terribleness, and did Annie finally find the run button?

Yeah, Mount Must Dash was by far my favorite level.

Hisstocrat was so bad because I spent the entire time trying to fight it while also trying never to be too close to Seer and major. Seer and major spent the entire time trying to knock the crown off of me.

But I won in the end. :smug:

The T
May 29, 2010

JavaJesus posted:

The T, I'm way ahead of you on keeping track of who played what character

Yesss I love you.

Also in our group chat on Skype, Annie says: "i love the person who makes the charts for our lp"

So at least 50% of us love you.

Now, if we can only figure out how to include the bonus games into these charts somehow... (Kidding! Or am I...)

The T
May 29, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just noticed this thread and decided to skim through it real fast and saw this.

Is... is his tongue a fist?

As I made that gif I was thinking the same thing. It's either that or his tongue is tied in a knot??

The T
May 29, 2010

I finished moving and still haven't unpacked everything but I still found time to do this!

I really love the events of the last level in this episode.

The T
May 29, 2010

JavaJesus posted:

The only conclusion I can reach is that The T found a way to bribe the RNG before this whole thing started.

Well, the WiiU DOES know who it's owner is...

The T
May 29, 2010

Hey guys! FYI I somehow caught yet another cold. It was pretty unsevere at first and then I woke up today and I feel like a million times worse! So since I was putting off working on the next video until I felt "better"... so much for that.

So don't expect a new video tomorrow! I'll do my best to have it up for next week though. I might even have it up earlier next week because I am going to Orlando Nerd Fest starting on Thursday (whether I feel better or not...). So who knows and we'll see!

The T
May 29, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Try not to sneeze all over everything.

Thanks, I am trying! Also congratulations on getting reply #69 in the thread!

On an unrelated note, if you just can't get enough of me, I guested in the Knuckles Story of GameboyHero's Sonic Adventure LP. This was actually when I was recovering from the last time I was sick, so I was pretty out of it and barely remember it and probably wasn't even funny!!

so enjoy!

The T
May 29, 2010

Aaah! When I said I was going to get it up "early", 9 AM isn't what I meant by it... but oh well! I'm off to Orlando Nerdfest!

The first day of Nerdfest has been crazy fun, and now I'm off for day 2.

Hope the audio on the video is already; I went through it really carefully and muted any rough noises/tried to clean up parts where we were talking as best I could; that said, I made a last minute adjustment to the levels on the game audio and wasn't able to listen to the whole video afterwards so I don't know how well it sounds in the later levels! It should be fine!! But if it's bad please let me know!

Sonic '06
Onechanbara? major: T I will kill you
Kinect

Edit: also if you want to follow along with my nerdfest adventures, check my twitter!!

The T fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 8, 2014

The T
May 29, 2010

Hey there! Orlando Nerd Fest was frankly pretty incredible and I had a great time. But, who cares, back to more Mario!

I also met a great new band, and one of the songs they played is vaguely relevant to this thread and I am going to link to a recording of it anyway!

Dokapon Kingdom

The T
May 29, 2010

JavaJesus posted:

Damnit Annie, now I'm gonna be wondering if I'm crazy enough to go back and rewatch this just to keep track of how long you were in a bubble. :mad:

Other things to track: How many times each person died. (Also causes of death :getin: (DON'T ACTUALLY DO THIS OH GOD)) (in fact the prior one is way too much; you do enough as it is!!)

I'm surprised by how little I played as Blue Toad. It's like the game cared about me.

Also this is not a big deal at all and definitely not important enough to fix for this update, but just a heads up that the Fire Bros. level is just 4-B. :)

gnome7 posted:

Games no one should play:
Dokapon Kingdom

Hey, I had to prove that these people really hated me and weren't my friends after all. :colbert:

The T
May 29, 2010

JavaJesus posted:

It took a couple months to actually sit down and do it, but I'm finally delivering on that actual effort I mentioned back when I posted the first graph. I haven't put any screenshots up on imgur yet because I'm working on finding a way to export the graphs and their labels as images so I don't have to deal with taking, resizing, and uploading screenshots, but you can see all three of the current charts on the new page I put together on my hosting: http://www.njriccio.com/lp/mariographs.cfm

Right now the only real end result change is that the graphs look prettier (especially the character usage graph), but now that this is all set up properly it'll make it much easier to keep track of and display pretty much anything I want.

:monocle:

That is really cool! My only possible suggestion there is possibly moving the keys off to the side; but at the moment they're only covering up part of Seer's line and really who cares about Seer. :D

The T
May 29, 2010

Hey guys! Sooo...

I just started classes for the semester this week and they kind of hit me out of nowhere! Needless to say, they're going to be taking a lot of my time.

So I think I'm probably going to switch over to a bi-weekly update schedule. I would ask, if that's alright with everyone, but the only responses I'd likely get are "why would anyone care, you don't owe us poo poo" and "WHY WOULD YOU TAKE AWAY MY FREE ENTERTAINMENT".

That said, I appreciate all of you who are watching and enjoying it and I'll do my best to get it out as quick as I can, and do my best to keep the quality as good as I can. I definitely feel like some weeks I rush through it and haven't done quality as well as I could have (although I guess no one else seemed to notice...?) and I don't want to make that the standard.

So with THAT said... see you next Friday.

The T
May 29, 2010

JavaJesus, you are loving insane. Godspeed.

Also, just remembered I should probably post the update!

The T
May 29, 2010

majormonotone posted:

(3/4 of us at least will probably be at Magfest :ssh:)

That said we'll be staying in a hotel and probably won't be recording anything because bringing everything needed for a recording set up in a hotel room probably isn't feasible. Plus we'll be doing actual poo poo!

THAT said if any cool people want to stalk us then feel free.

The T
May 29, 2010

Nintendo Land is amazing and is worth owning a WiiU over. Assuming you have friends. This thread is now for talking about how fun Nintendo Land is. Get to it nerds.

JavaJesus posted:

Do you guys want to see a full timeline of all the stages mashed together into one graph along with the total time spent in a bubble, or should I just stick with adding up the times and ignore the timeline?

1. You are insane for doing this and I wish you all the luck in the world.
2. I have no major preference. That said I wouldn't mind little stuff like a total chart for each World or something silly like that. (Whether it be a bar graph or a timeline.)
3. Please don't overstress yourself with this though! :)

The T
May 29, 2010

JavaJesus posted:

Although The T, if you want to keep Zelda arching you need to step up your game. :colbert: So many unbroken pots and unsniped enemies.

It was literally my 2nd time playing it, and in addition to that, I was sitting right next to Annie and my range of motion was somewhat limited. Swinging around the big rear end Gamepad isn't really optimal for aiming, especially when you want to avoid elbowing your friends.

The T
May 29, 2010

We finally get a discussion going in the thread and it's just you guys making fun of how bad we are. ;)

I think if the main LP proves anything, it's that we are hopeless when it comes to teamwork.

Cheez posted:

But when you're using the gamepad, it's usually best if you just use the stick to look around

YOU CAN DO THAT?! FUUUUUUCK

The T
May 29, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

Sorry, I'm just upset that you and majormonotone haven't started up the Chameleon Twist 2 LP.

Well maybe if you didn't quote and respond to posts from JULY... :rolleyes:

But nah seriously, both me and major are getting wrecked pretty hard with both school and life, but it's still on the table. It's why my update schedule slowed down, naturally.

The T
May 29, 2010

JavaJesus posted:

Unfortunately the nature of things showing up on mouse hover means that I can't reasonably screenshot all of it (not to mention that as you can see from the screenshots I did take you can't see where the mouse is to produce the screen-shotted hover data) so it's only really a bonus for looking at the graphs on my site. I had fun putting it together though, so it's there if you care about it. :)

:drat:

The mouse hover stuff is really cool! And I absolutely love the "Total percent of time spent in bubble". In future videos Annie's going to get pretty high on that...

Also I was noticing for the Scores chart, since it's getting a tad cluttered, maybe dividing it up by world as well might clean it up a tad too? Not sure what to do for Cumulative Score... possibly make it wider?

Thanks for everything though. You're rad as gently caress!

The T
May 29, 2010

At the start of this video I mention Steam snowglobes, immediately dating this LP more than anything else possibly could.

Power Stone 2
(not related to anything but gently caress we really should have)

The T
May 29, 2010

And our 3rd and final recording session begins!!

That isn't to say the LP is ending any time soon, as the 3rd session is by far the longest, and there are still plenty of bonus videos to do.

I can't believe I managed to get this video up this week! I've had a lot of wild things including a paper for a group project, and also a root canal. Right now I have some gum in my tooth that is supposed to serve as a temporary tooth until I get a crown put on it? And it's not very effective.

Anyway, hope you enjoy this episode.

The T
May 29, 2010

More Nintendo Land!!

It's amazing we never made Seer be the one player, considering he is clearly the most hated out of all of us. (Or wait, is that me?)

Oh also, don't know if it's just more noticeable to me or not but there are times where you can hear the noise the Wii Remotes are making when we're shooting in the Metroid game. I muted them any time we weren't talking, but there's no real way to mute them when we are. So just in case you were wondering what those noises were??

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (multiplayer)

The T fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

I bet you guys thought I wasn't going to make the update today!!

Don't worry, I was worried about the same thing. I've been busy all week with school stuff and I ended up finishing this one this morning. :P

Also, while working on the banner I realized the answer to the video title: No one, that's why he's wearing a crown.

• Locked thread