Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wagglyplacebo
Nov 13, 2012

lonesomedwarf posted:

I guess I can see how something like this might annoy people if they work in the field, or if they have been institutionalised and feel vulnerable about it, but as someone who has been institutionalised during a few different points in my life, one thing I've learned is that you need to pick your battles. I don't think making a stand here, about this game, is going to change anyones mind. I take the game for what it is, I like it a lot, and I wasn't offended once. I think some of you are reading more into this and thinking more about it than the creators, which might be your point, but you need to decide if you're making a point to make a difference, or just making points for the sake of it.

I can't comment on the sexuality issues I suppose, as I haven't had that as a focus for many problems in my life. But I like these videos and am just here for them and I am uncomfortable being this serious on the some thing awful forums so keep it up op and im holding you to your word about having goredongs in the special features video

I always think that discussions like these are just for the fun of it, at least when it's for a game like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

lonesomedwarf posted:

I guess I can see how something like this might annoy people if they work in the field, or if they have been institutionalised and feel vulnerable about it, but as someone who has been institutionalised during a few different points in my life, one thing I've learned is that you need to pick your battles. I don't think making a stand here, about this game, is going to change anyones mind. I take the game for what it is, I like it a lot, and I wasn't offended once. I think some of you are reading more into this and thinking more about it than the creators, which might be your point, but you need to decide if you're making a point to make a difference, or just making points for the sake of it.

I can't comment on the sexuality issues I suppose, as I haven't had that as a focus for many problems in my life. But I like these videos and am just here for them and I am uncomfortable being this serious on the some thing awful forums so keep it up op and im holding you to your word about having goredongs in the special features video

something awful forums or not, it's important to be able to have these conversations.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Just caught up with the LP and thread. Thanks for doing such a great job!

For what it's worth, I never really got the impression that the concept of the asylum as a source of horror was being used here without any nuance. There seems to be a fairly implicit distinction made between what such an institution should be for vulnerable people, and how Murkoff are exploiting them to the degree they are. Someone mentioned earlier about how asylum-based horror should focus on the staff instead, and that does legitimately seem to be what the plot goes for, in my opinion. It's made fairly clear that it was torture and experimentation by sane men that led to the inmates being as they are. This concept is also introduced into the plot right at the beginning, as it is accusations of malpractice that draw Miles to the site to begin with.

The gender thing is another issue, of course. I've heard some pretty dismal things about the DLC develops in that area, so I look forward to those parts of the game with some trepidation....

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the implausible roof-hopping plan fails immediately and violently. It's a little funny, in a dark way.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Glazius posted:

I like that the implausible roof-hopping plan fails immediately and violently. It's a little funny, in a dark way.

Sooooo did strait-jacket guy break our fall then?

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Glazius posted:

I actually saw a friend play this section (but not much of the main game or the rest of the DLC) and he even said out loud "This looks really loving dumb. I really have to DO this?"

"poo poo!"

Mind you, he played most of what I saw really deadpan (as in, trying to be a macho guy that wasn't scared) so it got a major laugh out of the rest of us.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Episode Sixteen- Tied -Video!-
Documents & Notes

Well, there we have it. I'll put together a short bonus video to show off a couple of things I missed or forgot about, but other than that we're done with Outlast. Thanks to everyone in the thread for sticking around this long!

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
:stonk:
That is all. Thanks for the great LP.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Eddie is just really enthusiastic about ethics in video game journalism.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Did...
Did we just prime anyone who watches that video for the Walrider project? :gonk:

Thanks for the LP, and for hand-holding those of us too scared to play through the story.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

RedMagus posted:

Did...
Did we just prime anyone who watches that video for the Walrider project? :gonk:

Thanks for the LP, and for hand-holding those of us too scared to play through the story.

I think Waylon haven't recorded the Morphogenic Engine. It's Miles' camera that poses a danger to the world.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Well that was horrifying - great LP!

Still can't quite make out wtf happened to the Groom though.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
This was an excellent LP for a pretty cool game. Thank you for doing this for us!

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Excellent LP, I have my misgivings about the game, especially after that last episode but you did a fantastic job the whole way through. You did what I thought was completely impossible, you did a good video/voiced LP of a horror game.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Really excellent LP. You managed to strike a great tone with your "camerawork" and narration.

One major thing bugged me about Whistleblower over Outlast proper, though. There are club/spear-ready metal pipes laying around everywhere. Obviously this game would never work if the protagonist had a weapon, and I don't remember seeing them in the first game, so I wonder why they added all the pipe objects in the expansion?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well done, DumbRodent, very good job LPing a pretty good game. I will look forward to your next project.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I seriously don't think we need any other LPs of Outlast in the world after this. Just wipe YouTube, put this up, done.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Up to 22:17 in that video.

Christ alive.

Anyway, thanks for the great LP! It was an interesting set of games for sure. The plot and enemy set up was a bit naff, but it's clearly not meant as an AAA title anyway. I remain bemused at the ability of simple doors to stop psychopaths in their tracks in any case (at least in Dark Corners of the Earth you had to close a bolt as well).

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

That quintessential Whistleblower moment :gonk: I'd managed to erase from my mind and live a happy life! :allears: The bit after that always bugged me, they actually put the effort into the limp and the shadow but Weylon still fuckin whips himself over the tops of tables and lands hard on his feet with no reaction.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
As always this game horrifies and terrifies me to the deepest pits of my soul. God drat this has been a blast. I look forward to whatever your next project is DumbRodent.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad to have watched this LP. Thanks, DumbRodent.

Not too clear on the Lucid Dreamer thing. Is it just a completely nebulous sequel hook, or did i miss some kind of nod or mention somewhere in the game?

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

citybeatnik posted:

Well that was horrifying - great LP!

Still can't quite make out wtf happened to the Groom though.

By the looks of things, the pulley system and support beams on the ceiling reached the upper limit of the weight it could take. A couple of the joists gave way and a large part of the framework fell. Cue ropes whipping around and hauling up the Groom into a fallen part of ceiling.

I think what would have made it clearer was falling at the same time he was drawn up, as well as maybe a few of the bodies dropping as the setup failed.

Edit: 'Let's Play Outlast: I've seen more than enough dick n' balls to last me a lifetime'

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So, did we just get something jammed into our leg, or was that supposed to be some horrific compound fracture no human being could stand on?

edit: also, were you going to splice together all of the camera footage for a single video? Feels like that could be an interesting watch. It could also be dull. I don't know.

azren fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 12, 2014

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
It was a chunk of wood, that he ripped out. At first I thought it was bone and was very confused.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
:stare::stare::stare::stare:

Well, that was one hell of a game! So much body horror to be had. Thanks for this LP, DumbRodent. I don't think we could have had a better host for a mostly overplayed game, than you. You were able to show its merits and flaws in a fair manner while still having fun yourself and thus we all had fun! I wish you luck on whatever LP project you decide to tackle next!

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

azren posted:

were you going to splice together all of the camera footage for a single video? Feels like that could be an interesting watch. It could also be dull. I don't know.

You can find a couple on Youtube. If I could find a way to see the parts where the camera is away from Miles from the camera's perspective I'd consider it, but... yeah. Not particularly worth the effort as-is, too many key scenes would be missing.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

HenryEx posted:

Not too clear on the Lucid Dreamer thing. Is it just a completely nebulous sequel hook, or did i miss some kind of nod or mention somewhere in the game?

By the time Whistleblower came out, Outlast had been enough of a success that Red Barrels knew they could make a sequel. So it and the prior note from Helen Granat authorizing the transfer are absolutely sequel hooks for Outlast 2.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Truly excellent work, DumbRodent. Thank you for this journey and good luck to you, in everything.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

At the risk of treading old ground, that was a great fuckin LP man. I loved how you used the first-person perspective to characterize the... characters :v: The game itself I'm pretty meh about but you really did do a fantastic job bringing it to life.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ech, trying to contrast the constant appeals to this wife with the psycho who then literally emasculates dudes? Gauché.

LP was good though. Ending wasn't bad, either. Bit implausible with the movement but less so than in the main game at least. Look forward to you doing something else, maybe.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you're still up for your Spec Ops LP, I'll hop into that one too. I'm a big fan of that game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

If you're still up for your Spec Ops LP, I'll hop into that one too. I'm a big fan of that game.

Oooh yeaaaaah. Good idea.

One fun thing to do a feature video of would be all the little things that most people don't notice the first time, like seeing Konrad's face on a poster in the distance; when you go around a few turns and get closer, he's not there, it's an ad

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Spec Ops has boatloads of things like that. It's an implacable sense of the uncanny that... oops, I'm going to rant. I'll save it.

I'd love to do an LP of the game, but it would be a lot of effort and it's already been covered well enough elsewhere that I'm not sure I have anything to really bring to the table! I might have another game in mind for the future, on the PS2, if I can fenagle out recording it smoothly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DumbRodent posted:

Spec Ops has boatloads of things like that. It's an implacable sense of the uncanny that... oops, I'm going to rant. I'll save it.

I'd love to do an LP of the game, but it would be a lot of effort and it's already been covered well enough elsewhere that I'm not sure I have anything to really bring to the table! I might have another game in mind for the future, on the PS2, if I can fenagle out recording it smoothly.

I think you could do a Spec Ops LP justice. Would you do it in a solo style or use co-commentators?

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

chitoryu12 posted:

I think you could do a Spec Ops LP justice. Would you do it in a solo style or use co-commentators?

Well thank you!
Hmm. Probably solo, though it would be interesting to hear other takes on the game.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Hello DumbRodent. I enjoyed watching you playing a video game and I will tell anyone who asks. And if I don't take my medication, I might just tell anyone who walks by on the street.

I hope this post finds you well, all the best.

LSD

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Wonderful work, DumbRodent. Thank you. It's been a hell of a ride.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

habeasdorkus posted:

Thank you so much for this and for all your other posts on this thread. This is entirely the truth for the vast majority of patients, and I see the repercussions in my own work on a regular basis.

No problem, did part of my practicum at mental institutions, so I'm a little familiar with the environment.

DumbRodent posted:

Episode Sixteen- Tied -Video!-
Documents & Notes

Yup, there we go. I jumped the shark last video and thought this was included then, but nope, here we go.

I think I've belaboured the point well enough by now, but I really hope that the future of the Outlast series steers clear of this type of horror. Hopefully they've got it out of their system now.

Echoing all the praise for your hard work, DumbRodent. You're an amazing LPer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
So, help me out here folks- is the stuff the Groom does supposed to be especially horrifying in some way? I've never had any sort of response to genital mutilation, do other people find that intrinsically more identifiable or worse or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a whole thing tied to the value of masculinity and the fear of emasculation.

• Locked thread