Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Watching the video I thought that just after the dumbwaiter was a great point to end the video. Then I thought better of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

DumbRodent posted:

Silky update. Silky.

Great work again, DR!

I was wondering, in instants where the game springs a nasty surprise at you -- like at around 7m in the vid, on the ledge -- what sort of player control do you have? Is it still the usual motion options, and you just have to pick the right moves quickly enough, or is it an entirely quicktime event, or something in between? For that matter, how scripted are things? I wonder, for instance, if it would be possible to screw up enough to have, say, Chris Walker and the Truncheon Guy both after us at the same time. If one of us was playing through, how different might things be?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Jesus Christ. No, the long video was fine, and it's nice to have the obligatory sewer part behind us.

The voice actors do a really good job with this game. I like how Walker's actor actually sounds like someone without lips would sound. And the screaming guys who chase you must make that sequence so much worse to play.

So... I assume Miles has found Dr. Wernicke?

edit: oh, one thing about long videos, they make you forget to ask questions that arise earlier. Was that guy in the straight jacket who kept leisurely walking towards you in any way dangerous, or does he just walk up to you and then stand still?

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?

Ghostwoods posted:

Great work again, DR!

I was wondering, in instants where the game springs a nasty surprise at you -- like at around 7m in the vid, on the ledge -- what sort of player control do you have? Is it still the usual motion options, and you just have to pick the right moves quickly enough, or is it an entirely quicktime event, or something in between? For that matter, how scripted are things? I wonder, for instance, if it would be possible to screw up enough to have, say, Chris Walker and the Truncheon Guy both after us at the same time. If one of us was playing through, how different might things be?

It's a pretty scripted game, basically a haunted house attraction. You usually just have one stalker after you at a time- think Haunting Ground or Clock Tower.

There were quicktime events in the game before- when you get grabbed you would have to wave the mouse back and forth- but people really disliked them. The developers patched all but one or two instances of the 'struggle' mechanic out of the game, and even put the effort forth to change the animations pretty drastically to make them gel with gameplay better!

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

davidspackage posted:

Jesus Christ. No, the long video was fine, and it's nice to have the obligatory sewer part behind us.

The voice actors do a really good job with this game. I like how Walker's actor actually sounds like someone without lips would sound. And the screaming guys who chase you must make that sequence so much worse to play.

So... I assume Miles has found Dr. Wernicke?

edit: oh, one thing about long videos, they make you forget to ask questions that arise earlier. Was that guy in the straight jacket who kept leisurely walking towards you in any way dangerous, or does he just walk up to you and then stand still?

I enjoy the acting in Outlast a lot. It's perfectly, passionately overdone.

The gentleman's name is given in a document right before the chase... which I forgot to log in the post, haha. Better fix that. Also, the Friend is pretty much incapable of doing anything to Miles. I think the poor bastard really doesn't mean any harm, and mostly serves as fridge horror regarding what Doctor Trager does to those that end up in his 'office'.

E: Also, thank you so much to everyone still watching and giving input! Seriously Rad

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 8, 2014

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Still going strong on these videos. Good job!

Oh god that man has no pants... :gonk:

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

drat do I love Trager. He's a really funny guy and his voice actor really makes that shine through with a big slice of insanity to go with.

davidspackage posted:

Not to step on DumbRodent's toes but yeah, he's just there to unnerve you, assuming you're talking about the dude in the showers. But it gets kind of funny when you realize that all he does is walk up to you and just stand there. Dude just wants to hang out.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Well, I liked that DR kept trying to keep him in his line of vision and backing off. Made me think he was going to try and latch onto his neck if he got close enough.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I think it's a good length from transitioning from the last ending into the "holy gently caress no, my loving god" ending of this video!

It could be worse though, it could of been his liver and tongue. Or in one person's case, both kidneys...

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I think it's a good length from transitioning from the last ending into the "holy gently caress no, my loving god" ending of this video!

It could be worse though, it could of been his liver and tongue. Or in one person's case, both kidneys...

I'm glad my silly editing is going over well!

Hey, you gotta start somewhere. Fingers First...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

DumbRodent posted:

I'm glad my silly editing is going over well!

Hey, you gotta start somewhere. Fingers First...

If he escapes before the tongue is taken then he can try out as a castrati!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

DumbRodent posted:

It's a pretty scripted game, basically a haunted house attraction. You usually just have one stalker after you at a time- think Haunting Ground or Clock Tower.

There were quicktime events in the game before- when you get grabbed you would have to wave the mouse back and forth- but people really disliked them. The developers patched all but one or two instances of the 'struggle' mechanic out of the game, and even put the effort forth to change the animations pretty drastically to make them gel with gameplay better!

It's cool of them to pull the QTs out. So many devs seem incapable of even realizing that people might not like them. I see what you mean about Clock Tower &c. That's what I figured. Not sure if a more procedural approach could even work in a horror game of this sort.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Ghostwoods posted:

It's cool of them to pull the QTs out. So many devs seem incapable of even realizing that people might not like them. I see what you mean about Clock Tower &c. That's what I figured. Not sure if a more procedural approach could even work in a horror game of this sort.

There's a game called Daylight that apparently tried its hand at it. Might be interesting, though I've heard displeased things about it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

When it comes out I hope The Evil Within doesn't tread too closely to Outlast's territory.

EDIT: Also also: Male and female wards? We haven't seen a single woman.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 8, 2014

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Speedball posted:

EDIT: Also also: Male and female wards? We haven't seen a single woman.

With the state most of the inmates are in, can we really say that for sure?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Holy poo poo am I ever glad I didn't watch this one last night. :gonk:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

With the state most of the inmates are in, can we really say that for sure?

Well none of the screams sound female...

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

If he escapes before the tongue is taken then he can try out as a castrati!

I think you have to have the procedure done before your voice drops to actually count as one of those things. So when you're, like, 13 or so at the latest.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Good job on this video as well! The pacing and commentary are great as usual and I had a good laugh when you read the document about that one guy who was pretty much brute forcing his way as a "doctor."

If there's one thing I'm particularly grateful for, you actually use the night vision with a good pace. I decided to see what other people's playthrough of this game was like and holy hell, they kept turning it on and off in quick succession and it made it annoying to watch.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

CARRIERHASARRIVED posted:

drat do I love Trager. He's a really funny guy and his voice actor really makes that shine through with a big slice of insanity to go with.

Seconded in force. He's got such a casual voice, with wonderful bedside manner. He's also creepy as all hell, and has that wonderful sadistic streak (I particularly enjoy the offer to go take a walk outside).

Also, regarding one or another of those documents or conversations, "There is no doubt that Wernicke was dead. This must be distinctly understood, or nothing horrifying can come of the story I am going to relate."

Edit: Your occasional narrations are wonderful, especially after the whole kidney thing.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

azren posted:

Edit: Your occasional narrations are wonderful, especially after the whole kidney thing.

Agreed. In the first video I had a hard time realizing that it was you talking and not the character. I was going to comment on how much detail they put into the game with him mentioning the skidmarks on the ground. :v:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Just caught up and congratulations; You've finally made an Outlast LP I can stand.
The atmosphere and quality speaks for itself and I'm drat-tired of people screaming at their recordings.
Bleh.

Anyway, had I got in by the first episode, I would'a made this for you sooner.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Grimwit posted:

Just caught up and congratulations; You've finally made an Outlast LP I can stand.
The atmosphere and quality speaks for itself and I'm drat-tired of people screaming at their recordings.
Bleh.

We are being pursued by a post-basketball-dad-induced-breakdown Chuck Majors giving in to his jock destiny.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Glad to see you went ahead with the thread! :) I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Grimwit posted:

Bleh.

This is beautiful.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
I'm really enjoying this LP, the game seems pretty difficult if you don't have the paths memorized though, is that the case? I really like the atmosphere the ga,e gives off too, and the ending on that last video, hooooly crap!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's not a spoiler, since all the information is in previous videos- that dude isn't Dr. W, he's Dr. Traeger, mentioned in one of the earliest notes. The note referred to a patient who learned of something through "The blood dreams of Dr. Traeger". The author of the note was confused by this comment, since Traeger isn't a doctor-he's some executive. That's why we're getting all these corporate buzzwords and Patrick Bateman-isms from him.

I'm loving this LP so far. My favorites are the Super Dong Brothers, simply because they behave so differently from all the other enemies- they walk silently. Will you ever have to deal with them in a nonlinear space?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm really glad everyone is getting to experience dickbros. One of my favorite things Outlast does is with its passive actors. Whistleblower has a part where [non story spoilers] you have to push a shelf and a passive inmate gets up and walks right next to it. It's not like a jump scare or anything, you can plainly see him. He's just watching what you're doing.

E: Razage asked a question about the pathing in this game and I'd like to say some things about it, if it's too much of a text dump I'll remove this.

Outlast is not a stealth game in the sense of say, Metal Gear or Dishonered, you know that by now. In those games the player can memorize the path his enemies are going to take and approach the situation accordingly. After playing the crap out of Outlast I've noticed that the inmates work entirely different to the AI most people are used to. I believe that at some level the inmates are constantly aware of where the player is at, though their chase mode isn't activated until the player is in full sight of them. This is something I suspected about halfway through my initial play through. The inmates will have a 'base' where they return to and wherever the player is hiding is where they walk out to. If the player moves then the inmate will adjust his search area to where the player is every single time. I actually gave this a fair bit of testing in one of the early sections in Whistleblower as it was almost perfectly designed to test my theory also I was stuck for like half an hour. The setup is two rooms connected by a single hallway with a single inmate patrolling. The second room has multiple places to hide and a partition in between it. I would hide in different spots (once or twice getting caught) and whenever I changed spots the inmate would adjust his pathing to try and find me. I think that it's a really interesting thing to do and a great move for a horror game. It means you're never really safe when there are inmates around and it makes double inmate encounters even more terrifying. There is still a little room to 'game' the system here like anyone would do in a stealth game but that takes a fair bit of knowledge about the game and most people are scared shitless so super logical thought about the game's systems is out of the question. DumbRodent probably knows and could display this but I'd imagine watching him huddle in different lockers just to show you that now the scary penis men are looking over here this time would suck.

Double E: That reason is also why I don't really suggest hiding in lockers, inmates seem to be prone to check them even if you're hiding in a corner inches away. Though I've noticed they don't check all of them if there is more than one. It's a gamble if they pick to open the one you're in or not.

E:3 spoiler'd for OP new rule.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 14, 2014

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.

Acquire Currency! posted:

I'm really glad everyone is getting to experience dickbros. One of my favorite things Outlast does is with its passive actors. Whistleblower has a part where [non story spoilers] you have to push a shelf and a passive inmate gets up and walks right next to it. It's not like a jump scare or anything, you can plainly see him. He's just watching what you're doing.

E: Razage asked a question about the pathing in this game and I'd like to say some things about it, if it's too much of a text dump I'll remove this.

Outlast is not a stealth game in the sense of say, Metal Gear or Dishonered, you know that by now. In those games the player can memorize the path his enemies are going to take and approach the situation accordingly. After playing the crap out of Outlast I've noticed that the inmates work entirely different to the AI most people are used to. I believe that at some level the inmates are constantly aware of where the player is at, though their chase mode isn't activated until the player is in full sight of them. This is something I suspected about halfway through my initial play through. The inmates will have a 'base' where they return to and wherever the player is hiding is where they walk out to. If the player moves then the inmate will adjust his search area to where the player is every single time. I actually gave this a fair bit of testing in one of the early sections in Whistleblower as it was almost perfectly designed to test my theory also I was stuck for like half an hour. The setup is two rooms connected by a single hallway with a single inmate patrolling. The second room has multiple places to hide and a partition in between it. I would hide in different spots (once or twice getting caught) and whenever I changed spots the inmate would adjust his pathing to try and find me. I think that it's a really interesting thing to do and a great move for a horror game. It means you're never really safe when there are inmates around and it makes double inmate encounters even more terrifying. There is still a little room to 'game' the system here like anyone would do in a stealth game but that takes a fair bit of knowledge about the game and most people are scared shitless so super logical thought about the game's systems is out of the question. DumbRodent probably knows and could display this but I'd imagine watching him huddle in different lockers just to show you that now the scary penis men are looking over here this time would suck.

Double E: That reason is also why I don't really suggest hiding in lockers, inmates seem to be prone to check them even if you're hiding in a corner inches away. Though I've noticed they don't check all of them if there is more than one. It's a gamble if they pick to open the one you're in or not.

That's interesting, it seems in some of these chase sections DumbRodent has to really know where he's going or he's going to get clobbered. It makes me leery of buying this game myself since I think it will lead to endless restarts until I learn the maps and I've never been a fan of those kinds of games.

The dickbros are amazing though, "He just vanished."

"Yeah, vanished, he must think we're a bunch of assholes."

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Razage posted:

That's interesting, it seems in some of these chase sections DumbRodent has to really know where he's going or he's going to get clobbered. It makes me leery of buying this game myself since I think it will lead to endless restarts until I learn the maps and I've never been a fan of those kinds of games.

The good thing about Outlast is that once you identify the exit to the area you're almost home free. Though the exits become less and less obvious as the game progresses.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
I'd just like to say that this LP is extremely well done so far. Excellent job making the player behavior look and feel realistic. Very immersive.

I've played and finished Outlast and its DLC already, but you're making your LP feel so cinematic I think I'll have to watch it all again.

Razage posted:

You shouldn't need to restart much in the main story campaign. Stay calm, be observant, know when to be patient, know when to run, and don't waste your battery life, and the game's bark is really a lot worse than its bite. It's rarely unfair to the player, forcing trial and error or anything like that.

Now the DLC, however... some of the situations in that could've been playtested a little more, it seemed to me. There was a regrettable bit of trial and error in the DLC, because the hunting enemy in nearly every encounter had a cheap, 100% scripted "I'VE SUDDENLY AGGRO'ED ON YOU NOW NO MATTER HOW CAREFUL YOU WERE" moment (and sometimes multiple such moments in a single extended encounter) which was too easy to mess up as I fled / looked for the exit / chase sequence break-point. It got pretty tiresome, frankly. The 100% aggro trigger moment became so expected that it ceased to be frightening, and instead just became irritating.

edit: In the first video, right after you finally entered the asylum and walked out into the first hall, I'm surprised you didn't turn Miles to the left to take in the line of bullet holes on the wall. That ominous detail really jumped out at me in my first playthrough.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 13, 2014

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So, I've watched all but the latest video (I wanna play through on my own first) and holy fuuuuuck the atmosphere in this game is oppressive as hell. It's honestly pretty uncomfortable for me to actually play at times, and I likely wouldn't be able to play it at all if I didn't have a friend talking with me while I did - and she's just as freaked out by it, haha.

But, the gameplay seems very cut and dry so far, and in the two pump/breaker area, I figured out pretty much how the AI works due to repetition. I was being too cautious, so I had to replay that one five or six times, and yeah, the AI is constantly aware of where you're at. It's just a matter of 'what pisses this guy off' more than anything. Until you see through that illusion it's a great way to build tension, but once you do, it's pretty drat obvious. Still a pretty fuckin' great game though, even if I do wish the AI was a bit more reactive instead of scripted.

Zenos Paradise
Apr 2, 2011

Did somebody say honeypot?

Galick posted:

So, I've watched all but the latest video (I wanna play through on my own first) and holy fuuuuuck the atmosphere in this game is oppressive as hell. It's honestly pretty uncomfortable for me to actually play at times, and I likely wouldn't be able to play it at all if I didn't have a friend talking with me while I did - and she's just as freaked out by it, haha.

But, the gameplay seems very cut and dry so far, and in the two pump/breaker area, I figured out pretty much how the AI works due to repetition. I was being too cautious, so I had to replay that one five or six times, and yeah, the AI is constantly aware of where you're at. It's just a matter of 'what pisses this guy off' more than anything. Until you see through that illusion it's a great way to build tension, but once you do, it's pretty drat obvious. Still a pretty fuckin' great game though, even if I do wish the AI was a bit more reactive instead of scripted.

Watching this LP convinced me to buy the game and it took me a while of playing around in the basement to get comfortable with the enemies. Once I did, the game became much more fun to play for me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
This is a good LP, not so good a game. Your commentary is really enjoyable, although I think there could be a just little bit more of it. I'd appreciate a small warning before the jumpscares, because gently caress you Outlast sudden screams blaring from my speakers are just startling, not scary.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Gameplay spoiler: Enemies will never check the hiding spot you're in (if they didn't see you enter it, obviously). They'll always check the locker next to the one you're in or stand just beside the bed you're under, but never take the final step.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 14, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1stGear posted:

Enemies will never check the hiding spot you're in (if they didn't see you enter it, obviously). They'll always check the locker next to the one you're in or stand just beside the bed you're under, but never take the final step.

Thinking back, that should have been super obvious.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Doing my best to maintain the illusion for the sake of the viewers, nonetheless.

Oddly, from my experience, this is not the case in Whistleblower. It caught me off-guard a couple times due to stalkers' behavior being different. I got yanked out from beneath a bed despite being perfectly hidden while slipping beneath it.

Edit: I made a tiny change to the OP, just being picky. Could you please put a tag in your post? Sorry for the hassle..

Cardiovorax posted:

This is a good LP, not so good a game. Your commentary is really enjoyable, although I think there could be a just little bit more of it. I'd appreciate a small warning before the jumpscares, because gently caress you Outlast sudden screams blaring from my speakers are just startling, not scary.

Thanks a ton!
While jumpscares can be pretty annoying, my goal in this LP is to preserve and present the game cinematically on its own merits. Giving warnings before jumpscares would risk killing the tension.
There is one particularly mean one I'll be giving a warning before though, or at least toning down the scarechord's volume.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 14, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DumbRodent posted:

Doing my best to maintain the illusion for the sake of the viewers, nonetheless.

Oddly, from my experience, this is not the case in Whistleblower. It caught me off-guard a couple times due to stalkers' behavior being different. I got yanked out from beneath a bed despite being perfectly hidden while slipping beneath it.

Edit: I made a tiny change to the OP, just being picky. Could you please put a tag in your post? Sorry for the hassle..

Thanks a ton!
While jumpscares can be pretty annoying, my goal in this LP is to preserve and present the game cinematically on its own merits. Giving warnings before jumpscares would risk killing the tension.
There is one particularly mean one I'll be giving a warning before though, or at least toning down the scarechord's volume.

Done and done.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DumbRodent posted:

Thanks a ton!
I'd be fine with just the latter. I can deal with jumpscares, it's just the sudden dramatic blaring from my speakers that annoys the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I agree. Most jump scares in both movies and games are pretty much just "jump startles", which is extremely lazy, especially when combined with SUDDEN EXTREMELY LOUD DRAMATIC BLARING. It's such a cheap trick.

At least they play up the creepy and unsettling vibe a lot, as well.

I wish there was more subtle horror stuff in general. You know, scenes that are more unsettling than shocking, or something like that one scene from a movie I can't remember the title of right now. One of the characters is walking around a kitchen, having a smoke. Nothing looks weird or out of place, there are no musical cues at all. But after she goes to get a glass of water, there is a cut and something in the background isn't there anymore. Then you realize that one of the killers was right there in front of you through the whole drat scene, watching her.

E: It was The Strangers. You should all watch it right now, preferably before reading the spoiler.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 14, 2014

• Locked thread