Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
This is a good LP, not so good a game. Your commentary is really enjoyable, although I think there could be a just little bit more of it. I'd appreciate a small warning before the jumpscares, because gently caress you Outlast sudden screams blaring from my speakers are just startling, not scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DumbRodent posted:

Thanks a ton!
While jumpscares can be pretty annoying, my goal in this LP is to preserve and present the game cinematically on its own merits. Giving warnings before jumpscares would risk killing the tension.
There is one particularly mean one I'll be giving a warning before though, or at least toning down the scarechord's volume.
I'd be fine with just the latter. I can deal with jumpscares, it's just the sudden dramatic blaring from my speakers that annoys the hell out of me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

DumbRodent posted:

Would it help if I included a set of jumpstartle timestamps in each update? Just spoilertagged times to turn down the volume and/or brace yourself.
That would be great, thank you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

1stGear posted:

Its really just to keep the flow of the game going. Tearing off a bedsheet and wrapping his fingers up would be "realistic" but horror movies/games have never been about realism and stopping the game just to add that in, or making the player go find a first aid kit would be ruinous. Remember that Miles has had so many high falls by this point that his spine should be several dozen different pieces, not to mention crawling over glass, rusty metal, gallon after gallon of blood...
This. Don't think too hard about it, the whole thing runs on B-horror logic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe he's a lefty.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Amnesia is extra silly because you can just hold a drawer in front of your face and the monsters won't be able to see you because you technically can't see them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Speedball posted:

Even the water monster?

BTW, that thing was brilliant. Even looking right at it you had no idea what it was, some kind of killer piranha or an invisible man or...who knows what. All we know is, it's noisy, hungry and can break down doors.
I'm not sure the water monsters even exist as monsters, properly speaking, but I don't think it works on them. The regular stalker types, though.

And yeah, the water monster section was so loving tense, best part of the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There are no two minute long death scenes because it would be tedious as gently caress and not scary at all anymore by the third time you go through it. Gore is not the same as horror.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ninotoreS posted:

But then again, I confess that it absolutely baffles me that some of you are so helpless to Outlast's jump-scare moments that you actually requested Rodent spoil them for you ahead of time. I mean, really? The whole point of these games is supposed to be the adrenaline rush you feel from your body's fear-stress response to such moments and the chase/hunted sequences, etc. Take that away, and why even bother?
Because jump "scares" aren't scary. They're startling. A fluffly little kitten can startle you when it jumps at you while you're not expecting it, it's not scary and it's not effective horror. It doesn't help build atmosphere in the slightest. I asked for jump scares to be pointed out because I hate it when a video starts randomly screaming at me "OOOH, LOOOK AT ME, I'M A SCARY THING! ARE YOU SCARED YET? GUESS I'LL SCREAM LOOOOUDER!" I usually watch these videos at night and I've got neighbours to be considerate of, so it's nice to know when to turn the volume down.

Doom 3 consisted of nothing but darkness and jumpscares and it was so bad and non-scary it literally killed the franchise, just as a reminder.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ninotoreS posted:

Okay, so then you're intolerably vulnerable to simply being STARTLED?

Isn't that even sillier?

As for the volume thing, I don't think that point scans. If you're playing (or watching) a game like Outlast without headphones you're doing it wrong, and the loud moments in Outlast (which are usually simply ambient music spikes) aren't exactly eardrum bruising or anything.
I don't have headphones and I'm not buying any for this one LP, so how about you stop being a smug goony dick over something that doesn't even concern you?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's the speed. Amnesia's monsters move very stiff-limbed and awkwardly, like their joints don't quite connect right. Then the animation is sped up, which pushes the impression from "awkward" into "unnatural." The overall effect is something like a large insect or a person with severely mangled limbs running right at you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

DumbRodent posted:

:shobon: Oh... man. That's very high praise! Niggurath's Fatal Frame LPs are some of my favorites, and his great playthrough of Dead Space 2 is the main reason I'm not so certain about covering the series myself (which I would love to do, I originally began Outlast just to practice for that)...
You'd probably have to consider talking a bit more, Dead Space doesn't have the kind of gripping atmosphere just from watching that Outlast gives you. I'd watch it, though. Listening to you play through Dead Space would be tense.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

DumbRodent posted:

Yeah, it's just a glimpse of the Walrider. It's very quick, it almost just seems like the lights flickering.

I'm really glad you're enjoying!
I'm not really down with that interpretation quite yet. I mean, are we even 100% sure the walrider exists, instead of being a common delusion shared by the inmates due to whatever those sleep induction and hypnosis experiments did to them? By now, our camera man might also be affected.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, but then, why would Trager be? The symptoms also clearly affect Murkoph staff, which makes it look possible that its newer version is a broadcast instead of individually applied.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Speedball posted:

I believe the devs have set it up so that women will exist in Outlast 2, so there's that.
Considering what the game is about, I'm sure people will find a reason to complain about that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Honestly, I really agree. Realism or no realism, in the end it was definitely the sensible choice to make in a game about cannibalistic naked rape crazies.

• Locked thread