Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Fallows posted:

col. fat oneil

Two L's!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

I could see having seven figures invested wisely and living off it, not being a public figure, and letting yourself go like a little bit maybe but if you're going to be on camera at all take care of yourself geez

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

They actually have a bit where the US Air Force people are demonstrating their poo poo to some allies and going "Yeah this space armour and space gun is designed for intimidation and to be showy over primitive natives" *boom* "see looks good, doesn't do much. This is a P-90" *tears target to shreds*

I remember this and remember thinking how stupid it was. Especially given how effective the alien soldiers with the larval parasites are in the first episodes.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Neurosis posted:

I remember this and remember thinking how stupid it was. Especially given how effective the alien soldiers with the larval parasites are in the first episodes.

yeah it was basically the writers trying to justify why the most peashooter rounds that arent pistol rounds can gently caress up whats supposed to be a galaxy-spanning feudal alien race's elite armored troops

show had a lot of holes but it was cheese, they should not have tried to explain the cheese. just accept it and churn out some more

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

I also like how they have maybe like 20 soldiers for their galaxy wide empire most of the time and when they got a cgi budget they made a huge rear end army for a scene which of course was entirely snuck past

also they have no soldiers that arent supersoldiers with larval gods

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

naem posted:

How do you let that happen? tv money

question and answered

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Carol Pizzamom posted:

also they have no soldiers that arent supersoldiers with larval gods

What?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dee eight posted:

question and answered

What? Mgyver's rolling in it. He'll get royalties forever.

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
Reminder: SG-1 was great, but SG: Universe was literally about the struggles of a goon trying to get laid who got a wonka ticket to ride on a spaceship because he was good at an MMO. Thanks SyFy!

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Wells posted:

Reminder: SG-1 was great, but SG: Universe was literally about the struggles of a goon trying to get laid who got a wonka ticket to ride on a spaceship because he was good at an MMO. Thanks SyFy!

:suicide:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Stargate was concentrated cheese but it worked because the characters were charming at least

Kind of why I liked Farscape as well. It was literally a show with muppet aliens but it was loving charming as hell once you got a few episodes in

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Zzulu posted:

Stargate was concentrated cheese but it worked because the characters were charming at least

Kind of why I liked Farscape as well. It was literally a show with muppet aliens but it was loving charming as hell once you got a few episodes in

I watched a fair bit of SG1 but wasn't a fan but loved the characters in Farscape. They didn't have the pretence of being a military outfit so they were free to have the protagonist become completely loopy (as you probably would if suddenly thrust into a galaxy of muppet aliens). Season 1 was pretty poor but everything after that was gold.

'Hi... Honey. Huh. Guess what I did at work today? I wore a bomb. A nuclear bomb in a field of flowers. I could get lucky. Tomorrow I could have a bigger bomb. I could kill... more people. Maybe they'll be innocent people. Children... maybe.'

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I liked SG-1, it was chill and fun. Never actually saw the other shows, maybe an episode or two.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Wells posted:

I hated that poo poo too at first, but universe got surprisingly good JUST as it got canceled, was p.bullshit

anyway stargate was cool but 3 shows and a bunch of crappy movies and 10 seasons of the main show doesn't leave me thinking 'they should make more of this'

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

The best bit thing about Stargate was the tranny.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
If you've never seen Stargate Universe here it is in SG-1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd23slMhWQU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

The Taint Reaper posted:

Meanwhile in a forest located in Canada.....

This was pretty much every Stargate Episode.

In addition to coniferous forest planet there was also gravel pit planet and wet sand dune planet.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
nerds

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fallows posted:

col. fat oneil

almost looks like a subway ad

Would fat oneil or fat lee win a sandwich eating contest?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
SGU was actually really great.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The guys who made the movie (and are apparently doing this "reboot") super hated the TV shows and thought they were dumb and stomped all over their vision. This is less a reboot and more these guys going "here's our prefect pristine vision of what this should have been". It'll suck because these yahoos have been stewing for like 20 years going "I coulda done better".

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

???

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Wells posted:

He gets friendzoned hard, too. But he deals with it instead of going elliot on the whole spaceship

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The guys who made the movie (and are apparently doing this "reboot") super hated the TV shows and thought they were dumb and stomped all over their vision. This is less a reboot and more these guys going "here's our prefect pristine vision of what this should have been". It'll suck because these yahoos have been stewing for like 20 years going "I coulda done better".

I wouldn't mind it if it was more like the movie which was fairly grim in tone.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the movie was good, though I haven't seen it since it came out so my memory is more than a bit hazy there

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

unironically liked sg-1 and atlantis

also liked the human spaceship design, thought it was a surprisingly decent looking spaceship

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Disco Infiva posted:

I liked SG-1, it was chill and fun. Never actually saw the other shows, maybe an episode or two.

It was great classic sci fi cheese. Dumbass people who made the movie don't realize their movie only works as a one off thing and the only way to expand on that IP is with silliness

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kilmers Elbow posted:

The best bit thing about Stargate was the tranny.
Unironically true. Jaye Davidson makes that movie for me.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Yaos posted:

If you've never seen Stargate Universe here it is in SG-1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd23slMhWQU

I had stopped watching long before this but lol this is pretty good.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

rocket_man38 posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/30/roland-emmerich-directing-new-stargate-movie

"We want a brand new Stargate"- No one, anywhere.

What the hell is it with every Sci Fi franchise with the word "Star" in it being rebooted/ having its canon erased? The nerd rage is funny, don't get me wrong, but it in this case seems pretty doomed to fail.

hey man SG-1 was a legit good show
:mad:

granted atlantis sucked rear end

it was kinda cool seeing Teal'c fight Ronon or w/e the dreadlock guys name was tho

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

it was kinda cool seeing Teal'c fight Ronon or w/e the dreadlock guys name was tho

Tyr Anasazi, out of Victoria by Barbarossa, of Kodiak Pride

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Carol Pizzamom posted:

It was great classic sci fi cheese. Dumbass people who made the movie don't realize their movie only works as a one off thing and the only way to expand on that IP is with silliness

it was a great show to watch on a saturday afternoon.

i think the movie creator said that a tv series existing was like watching their precious child being killed in front of them. get over your drat self.

PlantRobot fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 31, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PlantRobot posted:

it was a great show to watch on a saturday afternoon

i think the movie creator said that a tv series existing was like watching their precious child being killed in front of them. get over your drat self.

it was more like a live version of those action packed saturday morning cartoons which was part of the charm.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Babylon 5 was better. Except the first season, which kinda didn't have its pace - though it set up a lot for the future. Also, half of season 5.

shabutie
Aug 19, 2005

(Most of) Babylon 5 was better than pretty much everything ever though.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
Nobody who isn't a gigantic loving dweeb talks about Babylon 5.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Modern Day Hercules posted:

the best show for the outraged nerd, "why don't more people know about the show!!!!"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

:laffo:

The movie was good but not exactly breathtaking. Nobody would remember stargate if they'd left it at that.

I also there hasn't been a "They're making more Stargate? Why not more FIREFLY? :qq:" post yet, which is highly unusual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Modern Day Hercules posted:

It's too good for anyone else

You're all just wasting the B5!

• Locked thread