Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Welcome to Canada Australia!

So, you find yourself in a country that's not Canada? Well, maybe take a boat. I hear that's the popular way to get to better countries these days. Anyway, if you're stuck in Australia, here's what the last month looked like:

Just kidding, that's probably actually kinder than the reality.

I can summarize it all with this handy questionnaire

- Are you white, male, over 30 and rich?

If yes, go to A. If no, go to B.

A. You'll be ok. You've got nine months for your accountant to help you dodge the extra 2% tax, with the tax dodge loophole built in.

B. You're hosed. You just are.

So Who's In Charge?

The Liberal Party, aka The Adults

They were never going to land it. I don't even know how they got elected, since anyone with half a brain knew this was what was going to happen, but there you go. The Murdoch press certainly helped. Now they're loving things up at an incredible speed.

The whole month, summarized in one incredibly creepy image:

Also, it's getting bad enough that even the rest of the world is starting to notice how awful they are:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ers/?tid=pm_pop

The Labor Party, aka Kevin Rudd? gently caress, I forgot who their leader is now.

Seriously, they might as well replace Bill Shorten with a blob of Jell-O and he'd be more memorable. This is prime time to go after the government, and they're not doing it because who the gently caress knows.

The Green Party, aka The Good Guys

Tree huggers! Led by Christine Milne they're the only major party that actually fights for things like not putting refugees in concentration camps and not encouraging jobless youth to kill themselves because it's their only option.

Palmer United Party aka All Aboard the Crazy Train!

I don't even know what's going on with Palmer. As far as I can tell he's a populist who wants to basically be Robin Hood without actually giving money to the poor, but generally trying to help them with laws, and also with laws that will help him get richer.

I think there's also a general side dish of wanting to gently caress over the LNP.

But either way, apart from the Greens he's the only person/party in Australian politics that isn't a complete psychopath, so he has that going for him. And he's not bad at getting press, so that's also something. We'll just have to wait and see what station the crazy train decides to derail at and take out completely.

Whoever else is still technically a party

I guess Bob Katter exists, and also that car dude from WA.

So what should we do?

There is only one solution.

and come to the magical land where this exists:

Now, some actually important stuff:

We have an IRC! Check out #auspol on SynIRC for the latest news in this ongoing campaign against the poors and young people.

Also these shameless plugs are courtesy of NuclearSpy, so thank you for these resources:

AusPol Wiki - A wiki that attempts to educate as well as opinionate. I try to archive anything I come across in here and elsewhere online for later reference. Includes such favourites as:
Tony's Mandate - The massively long (and depressing) list of news articles about the Abbott Government
The Tony Abbott Files - A page that I have started to revisit to keep track of all the 'Abbottisms' that are now beginning to pop up
How evil is Campbell Newman? - The man that inspired the archiving in the first place, Queensland Premier Campbell Newman and his trail of destruction
100+ days in Government - A categorised version of Tony's Mandate which works better as a shareable link

South Australian Young Greens Social Group - A Facebook group that (forums user) Kim Jong Ill and myself have set up which helps keep Adelgoons (and non-goons) up to date with events etc. I highly encourage lurkers from Adelaide to sign up!

Also, Sulla's link archive, courtesy of TOML: here

I leave you with this gif that just perfectly sums up what we all feel when we read the news these days:

HookShot fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Given the last few pages of the previous thread, this post from the pictures thread seemed relevant.

This_is_what_rich_people_actually_believe.txt

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Great OP! How long before global warming makes Canada's climate OK for real Australians?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cartoon posted:

Great OP! How long before global warming makes Canada's climate OK for real Australians?

Did you see how much snow the Moose was running through? Give it at least five years.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Top-class OP, except that it's Christine Milne that leads the Greens. I'm sure Sarah Hanson Young wants to, but she doesn't.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Top-class OP, except that it's Christine Milne that leads the Greens. I'm sure Sarah Hanson Young wants to, but she doesn't.

Oops, thanks, changed it. I actually thought it was Christine Milne then went "no, don't be dumb, it's obviously SHY" and then of course I didn't look it up so I wouldn't look like an idiot in my own OP.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The Op is appropriately Canadian, thank for your work Hookshot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM3W5XBrVEA

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
A Good OP.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I hope you enjoy living in the icy wastes of Notaustralia you smug gently caress! :argh:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
It's not even June yet.

This thread is a lie just like Tony Abbott.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

rudatron posted:

The Op is appropriately Canadian, thank for your work Hookshot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM3W5XBrVEA

I can't believe I've never seen that before. Amazing. The Nickleback wig makes it perfect.

Ragingsheep posted:

It's not even June yet.

This thread is a lie just like Tony Abbott.

I'm not staying up until like 3am just to post at midnight in your weird time zone :colbert:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Outsourced our OPs offshore?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Those On My Beet posted:

Outsourced our OPs offshore?

Australian workers are too lazy.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Canada is just like Australia except it has more snow and fewer Australians and is therefore an objectively nicer place.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Australian politics and current events text flowchart:

A. [thing] happens, go to B.

B. Is [thing] good or bad? For "good" go to B, for bad go to C.

C. Kill you are self. :sun:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
You guys like hockey? You hear about Rob Ford? Man that guy's crazy eh?

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 31, 2014

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Hookshot! Nice OP :) You should chuck in a link to Sulla's link database: http://www.marianminds.com/linkarchive/

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Those On My Left posted:

Hookshot! Nice OP :) You should chuck in a link to Sulla's link database: http://www.marianminds.com/linkarchive/

Sweet, thanks!

Dreylad posted:

You guys like hockey? You hear about Rob Ford? Man that guy's crazy eh?

THE ONE TRUE SPORT

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

OP of the century

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
Good OP, needs more Canada

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

HookShot irl.

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

I'm trying to figure out whether I should risk putting the 15 minutes I am required to come into work before my shift starts into my timesheet, as well as the 15 to 45 minutes I often need to stay behind for. I'm worried because I'm a casual and I can just be arbitrarily dismissed I assume, so I don't want to piss my boss off.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Congrats on surviving another month, everyone!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I wish, Robin Sparkles is sexy.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Ok real talk, if I had to, say, do some sort of course for a job that's in very high demand in Adelaide, one that I could complete rather quickly and be physically capable of doing (ie something that doesn't strain my back, hardore labour or something) what would that look like, because of this budget poo poo passes unscathed I'm pretty much completely hosed.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

cat doter posted:

Ok real talk, if I had to, say, do some sort of course for a job that's in very high demand in Adelaide, one that I could complete rather quickly and be physically capable of doing (ie something that doesn't strain my back, hardore labour or something) what would that look like, because of this budget poo poo passes unscathed I'm pretty much completely hosed.

Depending on how bad your back is, aged care is in high demand everywhere and you can get a (bad) qualification in a couple of months. 6 months - 1 year for a not-lovely qualification

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

No idea what it's like in Adelaide, but cable location was always in demand at my last job and it's pretty light work.

http://www.coateshire.com.au/training/telstra-copper-cable-locating

One day course.

[EDIT: There is some light lifting involved and you'll be on your feet a lot.]

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Haters Objector posted:

Depending on how bad your back is, aged care is in high demand everywhere and you can get a (bad) qualification in a couple of months. 6 months - 1 year for a not-lovely qualification

Oh god, really? OH GOD PLEASE NOT THAT.

My back is bad but not I'm not...totally crippled I guess? I spend most of the day in bed but that's just because my back is shaped really weirdly and chairs are really uncomfortable.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
Apparently Bernardi & Gay are in Brisbane today. They're tweeting stuff about protesters.

So, who's there & who's not?

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
This was brought to my attention via a personal finance interest group on Facebook- According to figures on the front page of the Australian, quoted by that notorious paragon of Australian journalism Alan loving Jones, (http://www.2gb.com/article/alarming-welfare-figures#.U4ls6vmSwcG) a single working parent is entitled to $54,417 in Government payments:

quote:

$18,192 Single Parenting Payment
$305 Clean Energy Supplement
$8,979 Family Tax Benefit Part A
$175 Clean Energy Family Tax Benefit A supplement
$3,818 Family Tax Benefit Part B
$69 Clean Energy Family Tax Benefit B supplement
$3,818 Rent Assistance
$161 Pharmaceutical Allowance
$1,453 Family Tax Benefit Part A supplement
$354 Family Tax Benefit Part B supplement
$1,622 Pensioner Education Supplement
$214 Income Support Bonus
$157 Telephone Allowance
$15,120 Jobs Education Training Child Care Fee Assistance

People in the group are grizzling that 'it's too generous, drat dole-bludging single breeders would never have an incentive to get a job!'

My suspicion is that this list of numbers is of potential payments, and that it'd be nigh on impossible for anyone to access literally all of them in a year. How/where do I go to check so I have ammunition to counter this ridiculous spin on things? Thanks Auspol.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

nyerf posted:

This was brought to my attention via a personal finance interest group on Facebook- According to figures on the front page of the Australian, quoted by that notorious paragon of Australian journalism Alan loving Jones, (http://www.2gb.com/article/alarming-welfare-figures#.U4ls6vmSwcG) a single working parent is entitled to $54,417 in Government payments:

People in the group are grizzling that 'it's too generous, drat dole-bludging single breeders would never have an incentive to get a job!'

My suspicion is that this list of numbers is of potential payments, and that it'd be nigh on impossible for anyone to access literally all of them in a year. How/where do I go to check so I have ammunition to counter this ridiculous spin on things? Thanks Auspol.

My sister is a single parent and gets nowhere near that amount, so I'm not so sure about that.

open24hours posted:

No idea what it's like in Adelaide, but cable location was always in demand at my last job and it's pretty light work.

http://www.coateshire.com.au/training/telstra-copper-cable-locating

One day course.

[EDIT: There is some light lifting involved and you'll be on your feet a lot.]

What does this involve, exactly?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Basically walking around with a thing that looks like a metal detector and spraying lines on the ground. Sometimes you'll have to open a manhole but that's about as strenuous as it gets.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

nyerf posted:

Ringing Centrelink to find out would be a good start. Or even going to their website.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

open24hours posted:

Basically walking around with a thing that looks like a metal detector and spraying lines on the ground. Sometimes you'll have to open a manhole but that's about as strenuous as it gets.

It's in demand and has a one day training period? The heck.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Ringing Centrelink to find out would be a good start. Or even going to their website.

Why would Alan Jones ever send his unpaid research intern to a website for filthy poors, when it's easier to just read the figures Abbott's chief of staff sends him?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

cat doter posted:

It's in demand and has a one day training period? The heck.

You'd have to do an OH&S course too, so that's another day. As I said, I have no idea what the situation in Adelaide is like. If you're interested call some local businesses and ask for a job, they might even pay for the course.

Of course it's also entirely possible they won't have anything.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Traffic Management is another high demand one- Only downside is your gonna spend hours standing and your feet will want to murder you by the end of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Ferremit posted:

Traffic Management is another high demand one- Only downside is your gonna spend hours standing and your feet will want to murder you by the end of the week.

Standing a bunch tends to put a fair amount of stress on my back, one of the major reasons I've had so much trouble finding something.

• Locked thread