Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
does anyone know how the federal government accounts for FEE-HELP tuition fee payments to universities? Are they a line item in the federal budget, or are they off the budget books?

edit: IRC sez it's paid for by CGS. So it's not showing up on the annual federal budget at all?

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Did Leyonhjelm's recent comments get mentioned here?

SMH posted:

"All the people at [Sale that day] were the same as me," Leyonhjelm tells me, his light-blue eyes blazing. "Everyone of those people in that audience hated [Howard's] guts. Every one of them would have agreed he deserved to be shot. But not one of them would have shot him. Not one."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Did Leyonhjelm's recent comments get mentioned here?

He makes a fair point, the bullet proof vest stunt was a disgrace.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

ewe2 posted:

Something my JSA caseworker told me the other day: every year the stats come out and New Zealand always has these terrific stats on how their unemployment welfare system works. And every loving year the Aussies go over and look at their system and go "how does this work?" and the kiwis tell them "we throw our money at the newly unemployed and the kids and they get jobs quickly and we don't sweat the long-term cases because its much harder to get a result FOR WHICH WE DON'T BLAME THEM" and every loving year the Aussies go "nup, not happening here" and refuse to modify their system. They know what works, they won't do it.

Long-term unemployed is growing in the sector and his caseload is more and more young kids with multiple issues of homelessness, mental illness and educational disadvantage. And the government is literally going "stiff poo poo, make them pick up rubbish and we'll control more and more of their lives which will magically fix them or if it doesn't its their fault anyway, cos who cares right".

Don't worry, New Zealand will soon be modelling its welfare system on the UK's under the Tories, it's just a very slow process over the course of a number of Governments.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

New Friendlyjordies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6tZGluu7so

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

friendlyjordies continues to pump out poo poo after every good video, the cycle is complete.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

An aussie sportman who pee in he own mouth.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think anything will ever top the dude who was photographed getting a blowjob from a dog, but it's nice to know they're trying, I suppose.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Captain Pissweak posted:

friendlyjordies continues to pump out poo poo after every good video, the cycle is complete.

I thought it was a good video. Takes on the idea that you can either have a good environment or good economy.

I admit he is still preaching to the choir though

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Captain Pissweak posted:

If he just focused on concise talking points instead of speaking in sentences that seemingly never end in an effort to convey all the facts in one fell swoop much like i am doing with this sentence right now he would probably be easier to follow and more enjoyable to watch but I find myself having trouble taking it all in.

He does good characters though.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
An interim report on the 'Review of Australia’s Welfare System' has been released. It is full of lots of puffy paragraphs which are mostly an expansion of the report's scope. The scope being getting people to work, work, work.

http://www.dss.gov.au/about-the-department/review-of-australia-s-welfare-system

At the end of the report is a graph which summerises the proportion of the working age population who receive welfare payments. Looks like quite the emergency.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
nek minnit, student payments become a loan added to your HECS.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mithranderp posted:

nek minnit, student payments become a loan added to your HECS.

Considering the report suggests only four welfare payments, age pension, unemployment/dole, disability and child payments, that isn't a farfetched statement.

I'm sure the LNP would love to have "student loans" for living costs, because no child of an LNP member would ever need them anyway.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Pred1ct posted:

An interim report on the 'Review of Australia’s Welfare System' has been released. It is full of lots of puffy paragraphs which are mostly an expansion of the report's scope. The scope being getting people to work, work, work.

http://www.dss.gov.au/about-the-department/review-of-australia-s-welfare-system

At the end of the report is a graph which summerises the proportion of the working age population who receive welfare payments. Looks like quite the emergency.

Is DSP the top reddish one that I have to squint really really hard to see?

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

Is DSP the top reddish one that I have to squint really really hard to see?

No that's the aged pension.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Kim Jong ill posted:

No that's the aged pension.

Oh yeah I've flipped the colours.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Here's some FightBack(tm)

Edited for MORE QUEENSLAND!

:queensland: corruption! The gravel and sand ones are just :ughh:

quote:

When asked by the media about the investigation and donation, Agriculture Minister John McVeigh shrugged his shoulders and flippantly remarked, “that’s part of our democracy”.

Evil news.com link! :queensland: polls!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 29, 2014

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Here Auspol, have some good news to start your day.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/27/racial-discrimination-more-than-50-councils-urge-brandis-to-drop-changes

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

No councils from QLD, BIG SURPRISE!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

CrazyTolradi posted:

No councils from QLD, BIG SURPRISE!

Christ, that's pitiful. Even NT managed to get one on the list.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Phew my council is on there.

In other news, post more happier articles.

(news ltd no link)

quote:

FACEBOOK deliberately manipulated the feeds of almost 700,000 users to see how negative or positive posts affected their moods.

In a move that’s raised some ethical questions, Facebook tweaked the algorithm that delivers news into users’ feeds using a program to analyse whether posts contained positive or negative words.

Some users were delivered only positive posts in their news feeds while others saw overwhelmingly negative posts.

Researchers Adam Kramer, of Facebook; Jamie Guillory, of the University of California, San Francisco; and Jeffrey Hancock, of Cornell University then set out to study “emotional contagion through social networks”, to see if positive feeds led to positive posts from users and vice versa.

The result is that yes, it did.

“When positive expressions were reduced, people produced fewer positive posts and more negative posts; when negative expressions were reduced, the opposite pattern occurred,” the researchers wrote in their paper for the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

“These results indicate that emotions expressed by others on Facebook influence our own emotions, constituting experimental evidence for massive-scale contagion via social networks.”

The research was carried out during the week of January 11—18, 2012, with 689,003 users unwittingly participating in the experiment, when positive or negative posts had between a 10 per cent and 90 per cent of being removed from their newsfeeds.

“It is important to note that this content was always available by viewing a friend’s content directly by going to that friend’s “wall” or “timeline,” rather than via the News Feed,” the study authors wrote.

“Further, the omitted content may have appeared on prior or subsequent views of the News Feed. Finally, the experiment did not affect any direct messages sent from one user to another.”

But the experiment is causing a stir among some ethicists.

“If you are exposing people to something that causes changes in psychological status, that’s experimentation,” James Grimmelmann, a professor of technology and the law at the University of Maryland told Slate.

“This is the kind of thing that would require informed consent.”

But Facebook insists it had the consent of users as the research “was consistent with Facebook’s Data Use Policy, to which all users agree prior to creating an account on Facebook, constituting informed consent for this research.”

Facebook’s Data Use Policy states that the company “may use the information we receive about you ... for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research and service improvement.”

More happy articles, kthx.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
There's no way that passed an ethics committee

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

More happy articles, kthx.

Nope, sorry.

quote:

Scott Morrison goes quiet as fate of two boatloads kept a secret
June 30, 2014
Heath Aston, Ben Doherty

Two boatloads of asylum seekers are believed to be aboard Australian vessels off Christmas Island but the government has refused to confirm their existence or comment on whether they will be allowed to set foot in Australia.

By Sunday evening it had been more than 24 hours since any civilian communication with a former fishing trawler carrying 153 Tamil asylum seekers, including 37 children, that left the southern Indian city of Pondicherry 16 days ago.

Refugee advocates believe they have been intercepted by the navy and transferred to the customs vessel Ocean Protector, which is equipped to hold 250 people.

A second boat that left Indonesia is also believed to have been stopped off Christmas Island by the customs ship Triton.

If the asylum seekers are taken to Christmas Island before being flown to Nauru or Manus Island, it will snap a six-month period during which no boats arrived in Australia under the Coalition policy of boat turnbacks and offshore processing.

West Australian Labor MP Alannah MacTiernan, who was on Christmas Island over the weekend, said: ''Everyone is on standby waiting for instructions as to whether or not the boat is going to be unloaded here or whether or not it's going to be taken elsewhere.''

A spokesman for Immigration Minister Scott Morrison declined to provide any information.

Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young said the more than 30 children believed to be on board the Tamil boat, including a one-year-old baby, should not be kept on a customs vessel.

''It is more like operation prison ships than it is Operation Sovereign Borders,'' she said. ''I'm extremely concerned that the government is holding these asylum seekers on board customs vessels. We know they've been doing that in the past with other boats for a number of days, weeks. A prison ship is no place for children.''

Refugee Action Coalition spokesman Ian Rintoul said by 5.30pm on Sunday it had been 26 hours since phone contact was lost with the Tamil boat when it was 175 nautical miles off Christmas Island.

Its occupants had reported an oil leak, a diesel shortage and sickness among the passengers.

Gladston Xavier, a refugee advocate in camps in southern India, said reports of the boat's distress had reached refugee communities there.

''There are people missing from the camps, and their relatives are asking about what has happened to their loved ones,'' he said.

"People living here are vulnerable and some had been preparing for quite a long time to take this dangerous journey to Australia.

''People here know about the dangers, and they know about the terrible laws in Australia, which mean you cannot get residency but, still, a small number of people have made the decision to go."

Dr Xavier said if a boat was in distress in Australian waters, the country had a legal, as well as moral, obligation to offer help.

"Humanitarian considerations need to be the highest priority. If this boat is in distress, authorities must give assistance, they cannot let these people die on the high seas. People here are very scared for the suffering of the people on the boat, for their lives."

More than 70,000 Sri Lankan Tamil refugees live in isolated refugee camps in the state of Tamil Nadu, in southern India. They are restricted from moving or working, and cannot apply for permanent visas or citizenship.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Haters Objector posted:

That's the beauty of corporate research. gently caress yo' ethics.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

The exec summary of the welfare report posted:

Long-term reliance on income support increases the risks of poor health, low self-esteem and
social isolation. It can also have intergenerational effects. Children who grow up in households
with long periods on income support are more likely to have poor education, employment and
social outcomes. In contrast, employment generates clear financial, health and social benefits for
individuals, families and communities.

It's like they can clearly see the problem but can't bring themselves to acknowledge it fully. The reason a bunch of people are on DSP is because the DSS have broken them to the point that continued contact with the deliberately adversarial Centerlink would probably lead to suicide. Ask any doctor and they will tell you this is why they have enabled someone to be on a DSP at some point.

Just as well the private sector is booming ..

Oh well a consume lead recovery is ..

Good thing the government is hiring then!

The amount of rhetoric about how being employed is vastly better than being a torture victim of the dss is mind boggling. If only those lazy bludgers would get a job!

gently caress that report. Burn the DSS to the ground and start again.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
QLD LNP behind Labor for the first time since the election in a recent Newspoll.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Haters Objector posted:

I worked briefly for a private research corp doing medical tech research in which we were remotely pulling fairly extensive biomed signals from people without their knowledge or consent. When I asked "so uh, do we need to get ethics approval for this?" I was promptly laughed out of the room.

That's pretty much how private research goes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cartoon posted:

It's like they can clearly see the problem but can't bring themselves to acknowledge it fully. The reason a bunch of people are on DSP is because the DSS have broken them to the point that continued contact with the deliberately adversarial Centerlink would probably lead to suicide. Ask any doctor and they will tell you this is why they have enabled someone to be on a DSP at some point.

This is honestly why I haven't signed up to Centerlink over the year, despite being unemployed and looking for a job. There aren't jobs, and I'm looking, I don't need a government agency looking down on me for that. I'd prefer to have no income than deal with that.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Cleretic posted:

This is honestly why I haven't signed up to Centerlink over the year, despite being unemployed and looking for a job. There aren't jobs, and I'm looking, I don't need a government agency looking down on me for that. I'd prefer to have no income than deal with that.

Have you tried forking out a shitload of money and moving somewhere where there are jobs?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Cleretic posted:

Just live off your investment dividends for a while.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Get on your bike and don't stop peddling until you find work.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Cleretic posted:

They always need fruit pickers/you're not looking hard enough/the time spent posting should be used to find a job/you're not allowed to have standards :backtowork:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/30/mentally-ill-people-could-lose-disability-support-pension-in-welfare-overhaul
Labor has signalled it might support proposals to expand income management, which restricts how unemployed people spend their benefits.

Christ Labor why do you even exist?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Reminder to student brisgoons: the TTCC (tertiary transport concession card) "grace period" ends tomorrow. Despite this, I've seen reports of students being fined today. So be careful! And if you get a fine for not having your TTCC today, challenge it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

open24hours posted:

Christ Labor why do you even exist?

There are only so many positions in the Liberals and eventually people will turn to the alternative choice regardless of the policy that that choice represents, so good old pursuit of power is why.

"To what end?" What do you mean? Power is an end unto itself after all!

Nickopops
Jan 8, 2006
You must be this funky to ride.

Mithranderp posted:

Reminder to student brisgoons: the TTCC (tertiary transport concession card) "grace period" ends tomorrow. Despite this, I've seen reports of students being fined today. So be careful! And if you get a fine for not having your TTCC today, challenge it.
Hahah, apparently Translink are telling people who submitted their TTCC forms weeks ago and still haven't got it to buy and use an adult Go card until they get it. Good times.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Cartoon posted:

Just as well the private sector is booming ..

Oh well a consumer lead recovery is ..

Good thing the government is hiring then!

Indeed. The reason the ASX has gone up is because of "multiple expansion". Prices / value has increased not because of additional earnings but because P/Es and EV/EBITDAs have increased. This has primarily been driven by fixed income investors looking to invest in equities for increased yield - because interest rates are too low to make adequate fixed income returns. As a result of this the market is every bit as top heavy as it was in 2008. The catalyst for a significant reduction in multiples (multiple compression via a market correction) is likely the beginnings of a move to increase interest rates which decreases equity values at the same time as triggering the move of money from equities back into bonds.

When interest rates move from a position near CPI, then they have their largest impact on valuation. So there is a disconnect between markets and actual business performance and good reason to be cautious about the economic outlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

• Locked thread