Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I don't know how many times I've read one of those transcripts and gotten the argument sketch from Monty Python stuck in my head straight after. That scoots morrison one is no exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Holy poo poo

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Cannot fault the logic. It makes perfect sense to me.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

https://www.facebook.com/christopher.pyne/posts/655645897822625

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

I didn't know Orwell was still alive, let alone writing books!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Oh good, no longer blaming traffic on immigrants.

Small steps Australia.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Using a phone while driving is an offence.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Clarke and Dawe own.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Captain Pissweak posted:

He's almost certainly being chauffeured.

deathofmusic
Jan 3, 2001

If this isn't enough for you feel free to read a dozen more answers exactly the same: http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm215867.htm

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Captain Pissweak posted:

Hahah you think that fop drives himself anywhere?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
I swear to christ that sounds like a Clark and Dawe sketch. They could read that word for word.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Goodpart posted:

I swear to christ that sounds like a Clark and Dawe sketch. They could read that word for word.

Most of the Liberal frontbench reads like various types of political comedy from around the world. Morrison's a Clark and Dawe sketch, Hockey is post-Thatcher British, Abbott's Bush-era American...

The only exception is Pyne, and he's literally a Monty Python sketch anyway so he gets in on a technicality.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Useless Roy Morgan poll update:

quote:

ALP (57.5%) increases lead over L-NP (42.5%) as new Senate prepares to sit for first time

June 30 2014 Finding No. 5659 Topic: Federal Poll Public Opinion

Finding No. 5659 – This multi-mode Morgan Poll on Federal voting intention was conducted via SMS and face-to-face interviewing over the last two weekends of June 21/22 & 28/29, 2014 with an Australia-wide cross-section of 2,797 Australian electors aged 18+, of all electors surveyed 2.5% did not name a party.

If a Federal Election were held today the ALP would win in a landslide (57.5%, up 2%) cf. L-NP (42.5%, down 2%) on a two-party preferred basis according to today’s multi-mode Morgan Poll conducted the last two weekends – June 21/22 & 28/29, 2014.

This Morgan Poll on voting intention was with an Australia-wide cross-section of 2,797 Australian electors aged 18+. Primary support for both major parties is down with the ALP primary vote at 36.5% (down 1.5% from the last released Morgan Poll a fortnight ago) whilst the L-NP primary vote is 35% (down 1.5%).

Among the minor parties Greens support is 12% (unchanged), support for the Palmer United Party (PUP) is 7% (up 1.5%) and support for Independents/Others is 9.5% (up 1.5%).

Support for the Palmer United Party increased noticeably on the second weekend following Palmer’s joint announcement on climate change with former US Vice-President Al Gore and is now highest in the two mining States which elected PUP Senators: Palmer’s home State of Queensland (13%) and Western Australia (10%). Support for PUP is significantly lower in New South Wales (5.5%), Victoria (4.5%), Tasmania (4%) and South Australia (3%).

Analysis by Gender

Analysis by Gender shows that ALP support remains strongest amongst women with the ALP 61.5% well ahead of the L-NP 38.5% on a two-party preferred basis. Support amongst men is closer with the ALP 53.5% still ahead of the L-NP on 46.5%.

Analysis by States

The ALP maintains a strong two-party preferred lead in all six Australian States. New South Wales: ALP 57.5% cf. L-NP 42.5%, Victoria: ALP 58.5% cf. L-NP 41.5%, Queensland: ALP 54% cf. L-NP 46%, Western Australia: ALP 54.5% cf. L-NP 45.5%, South Australia: ALP 59.5% cf. L-NP 40.5% and Tasmania: ALP 64% cf. L-NP 36%.

Roy Morgan Government Confidence Rating

The Roy Morgan Government Confidence Rating has fallen to 95.5 this week (down 2.5pts over the past fortnight). Now 39.5% (down 2%) of Australians say Australia is ‘heading in the right direction’ and 44% (up 0.5%) say Australia is ‘heading in the wrong direction’.

The Morgan Poll surveys a larger sample (including people who only use a mobile phone) than any other public opinion poll.

Gary Morgan says:

“The ALP (57.5%, up 2% in a fortnight) has a very strong lead over the L-NP (42.5%) on a two-party preferred basis as the new Senate prepares to sit for the first time next week. The most surprising announcement last week was Palmer United Party Leader Clive Palmer declaring at a joint press conference with former US Vice-President, and renowned global warming campaigner, Al Gore, that he now supports initiatives to combat global warming and climate change. Support for PUP increased to 7% (up 1.5%) following the announcement.

“Palmer announced that PUP will support the abolition of the Carbon Tax, but only on the condition that Australia implements a Carbon Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) in its place to operate in line with Australia’s major trading partners. Palmer also announced PUP will oppose the abolition of the Clean Energy Finance Corporation, the Renewable Energy Target and the Climate Change Authority. Apart from the abolition of the Carbon Tax, all of these policies are currently opposed by the Abbott Government.”

Electors were asked: “If an election for the House of Representatives were held today – which party will receive your first preference?” Visit the Roy Morgan Online Store to browse our range of Voter Profiles by electorate, detailed Voting Intention Demographics Reports and Most important Political Issue Reports (all 150 electorates ranked by an issue).

Finding No. 5659 – This multi-mode Morgan Poll on Federal voting intention was conducted via SMS and face-to-face interviewing over the last two weekends of June 21/22 & 28/29, 2014 with an Australia-wide cross-section of 2,797 Australian electors aged 18+, of all electors surveyed 2.5% did not name a party

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Cleretic posted:

Most of the Liberal frontbench reads like various types of political comedy from around the world. Morrison's a Clark and Dawe sketch, Hockey is post-Thatcher British, Abbott's Bush-era American...

The only exception is Pyne, and he's literally a Monty Python sketch anyway so he gets in on a technicality.

Stephen Fry's mockeries of English school boys match Pyne pretty well

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

deathofmusic posted:

If this isn't enough for you feel free to read a dozen more answers exactly the same: http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm215867.htm

:suicide:

It'd be hilarious if it weren't people's lives.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

adamantium|wang posted:

:suicide:

It'd be hilarious if it weren't people's lives.

You mean like crikey's sandpit today

(at least there's less words than first dog :v:)

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I can't believe First Dog was the floodgate holding back poo poo like this.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Greg Sheridan defending trade deals with Brunei on The Project by talking about moral relativism, wonder what he would be saying if it was a labor government :allears:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Oh man, the Liberals are on fire tonight. I find it hilarious now to look back and think that they were the favourite going into the state election.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
:siren:TAX ON FUN:siren:
The comments under their Facebook posts are often >90% left wing trolls (particularly in Pyne's case) though so it's not so bad. It is a little terrifying that we're the only state without an LNP government right now.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Vladimir Poutine posted:

:siren:TAX ON FUN:siren:
The comments under their Facebook posts are often >90% left wing trolls (particularly in Pyne's case) though so it's not so bad. It is a little terrifying that we're the only state without an LNP government right now.

If whoever the leader of the opposition is in Victoria doesn't win the election in November I'm heading across the border. At least I'd get to follow a proper footy team!

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Gough Suppressant posted:

If whoever the leader of the opposition is in Victoria doesn't win the election in November I'm heading across the border. At least I'd get to follow a proper footy team!

I've got a scarf you can borrow

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Might as well stay, it'll be freeways for days and psychopathic developers clomping about the joint pell-mell soon anyway. So it'll be just like Sydney!

(no offence to Sydneysiders, I actually really love your city!)

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Haters Objector posted:

I've got a scarf you can borrow

I'll just buy a pot of gold sparkly paint and take to my scarf.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Someone just tweeted this and it's spreading pretty fast, anyone know if its true?

Kevin Andrews [on 7:30 Report] saying people with episodic mental illness can find work in sync with their episodes/non-episodes

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Ler posted:

Someone just tweeted this and it's spreading pretty fast, anyone know if its true?

Kevin Andrews [on 7:30 Report] saying people with episodic mental illness can find work in sync with their episodes/non-episodes
He's been saying it all day (heard him on RN AM this morning) so it's true.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
Andrew Robb had a mental illness and he's a minister now. Why can't they all do it?

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
"I report on it when it's significant, and what makes it significant is that I report on it"

- Scott "Kafka" Morrison

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ler posted:

Well that's good, because severe depression only ever kicks in on alternate Tuesdays.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I would absolutely trust a JSA to find me a subminimum wage job which would not exacerbate my manic depression.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Whenever anyone posts JSA I always imagine the Justice Society of America doing it, because it hurts less than what JSA actually stands for and does.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Employers are reasonable and compassionate people and would not terminate a casual employee for failing to turn up due to severe and unpredictable panic attacks.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I know most pollies are sheltered special little snowflakes, but that is just absurd.

To think that anyone with a severe periodic mental illness can easily find work to base their illness around just shows that he either has zero compassion, or has literally never met anyone in this position probably both

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

It's like television right? You open up the anxiety guide, and look up the listings for when your episodes will be.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/30/extreme-weather-official-advice-rewritten-to-remove-climate-change-link posted:

The government has been accused of significantly watering down its official advice on extreme weather after removing mention of links between climate change and events such as bushfires and heatwaves.

A document on the Department of Environment’s website, aimed at informing the public on how climate change is influencing dangerous weather, has removed an explicit reference linking the two.

A previous version of the document opened with the statement: “There is a growing and robust body of evidence that climate change will increase the frequency and intensity of extreme weather events.

“Australia has experienced an increasing number and intensity of heatwaves, bushfires, flooding and droughts in recent decades.”

An amendment to the page removes these lines in favour of a general explanation of what extreme weather is.

The page goes on to acknowledge that the frequency and intensity of extreme weather events is “changing” and that “some studies” show a link to climate change, but stresses that it is “difficult to isolate the role of climate change in any given event”.

As Guardian Australia reported in October, the previous version of the departmental advice contradicted Tony Abbott’s view that any link between bushfires and climate change was “complete hogwash”.

The prime minister, speaking in the wake of the widespread New South Wales bushfires last year, also said Christiana Figueres, the UN’s climate chief, was “talking out of her hat” for linking rising temperatures to increased bushfires.

Amanda McKenzie, a former government official and now chief executive of the Climate Council, told Guardian Australia the amendment had led to “softer language” on the link between climate change and extreme weather.

“Lives and communities are at risk from bushfires so it’s very important that communities and firefighting services are prepared for changes that we are already seeing,” she said.

“There is a common misconception that Australia has always had extreme weather so we should not be concerned now, but we are already seeing more forceful, extreme weather. Bushfires have increased in south-east Australia in the past 30 years, and we’ve just had our hottest 12 months on record.

“The evidence is absolutely unequivocal on the link. We know bushfire conditions are getting worse. We have to take the government on its word that it takes climate change seriously but there have been inaccurate statements made around extreme weather and it’s critical the public is provided the right information on these matters.”

Asked why the advice was changed, an environment department spokeswoman said: “During the past few months, we have been finalising the transition of content from the former climate change website to environment.gov.au.

“The Department of the Environment’s website is constantly updated. The change you identified was made by the department to ensure the website information remained consistent with the approach taken by the IPCC in its fifth assessment report.”

The IPCC assessment, released in March, stated there was a “medium to high confidence” that extreme weather events are “projected to increase in many locations” in Australia.

Australia is at risk from “increased damage to ecosystems and settlements, economic losses and risks to human life from wildfires in most of southern Australia”, according to the IPCC report.

In addition, “projected increases in heatwaves will increase heat-related deaths and hospitalisations, especially among the elderly”, while coastal areas will be at risk from erosion, landslides and flooding, owing to weather pattern changes and sea level rises.

Kellie Caught, climate change campaigner at WWF, said: "The link between global warming and extreme weather events is clear. In fact, the IPCC fifth assessment report strengthened its assessment on the link between some extreme weather events and global warming.

"It’s important that the Australian public are informed on the science of global warming and climate change from the leading experts such as the IPCC, especially given global warming poses a risk to society, our economy and environment.”

The Greens leader, Christine Milne, said: “Regardless of whether Tony Abbott’s global warming denial is filtering top-down through the public service, the clear link between climate change and the increasing frequency and intensity of extreme weather events is undeniable.

“The link is the global scientific consensus. No amount of watering down of language or silencing the public service will change the urgency of strong and sustained action to reduce greenhouse pollution.”

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
If anyone has an OCAU forums reg and wants to contribute to some libertarian nitwit having a meltdown, here's your chance: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1129064

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Just post the best bits in GBS or something.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
If anyone hasn't put Q&A on yet and wants to see some fuckin' hair you are missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I like that there have been decades of campaigns trying to change the rhetoric around mental illness and the impact it has on peoples lives only for an employment minister to turn around and say "na, you can just work around it".

"Panic attack is over, back onto the line. BTW that counts as your break".

• Locked thread