Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bum the Sad posted:

Who the gently caress uses some one else's Chapstick?

Those of terminally chapped lips in desperation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is it El Yucateco that gets its delicious flavor from a delicate touch of lead particles in its secretive cavern bottling plant in darkest Mehico?

Also I'm seriously considering buying a gallon of Cholua next paycheck...

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Herr Tog posted:

Are you dead?

not yet, the stuff's still in the fridge because too many things are happening at once

Djamba
Aug 9, 2013

TheDoc posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention Blair's in this thread yet (or at least there are no images). Blair is mainly known for his Super Hots (>100k scoville sauces) but for those who are looking for a bit more flavor than heat, Blair's Pure Death is my go to sauce. Don't be scared by it's claim that it has Naga Jolakia (ghost chilis) it does, but only in very small concentration. The sauce has a very clean peppery flavor, not too heavy on the vinegar, and not crazy on additional flavorings and spices. There's no murky, bitter extract flavor, like Dave's or Blair's ultra hot sauces, it's just a sweet, peppery, flavor with a little bit of a vinegar kick. I've put it on everything from hotdogs to fried rice and everything in between. Hell, I've even eaten this plane on chips when I had no other salsa. It's absolutely one of the best sauces I've ever had.

If you're looking for something with a similar flavor profile, but still not extract levels of heat, I recommend Trinidad Morgua Scorpion by CaJohn's. It's got tomato in it as well, but the star of the sauce is definitely the peppers/vinegar. It packs a little more heat than the Blair's, and might be too much for hot sauce beginners, but I've been wanting a slightly hotter version of Pure Death for a long time. This sauce is that ticket.

I need to second the call for Blaire's Sauces...am majorly in love with these. The "Sudden Death" and "Pure Death" are great! I also managed to get my mits on one of the 3AM reserve extracts which is awesome when adding to chicken wings!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Djamba
Aug 9, 2013
Wings of Death!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

not yet, the stuff's still in the fridge because too many things are happening at once

Glad you aren't dead!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

Glad you aren't dead!

raw pepper sauce base, six cups: jalapeno, serrano, dried ??? red pepper, some habanero, all the habanero and jalapeno seeds, white vinegar. went off without a hitch. thinner than I'd like but that can be fixed later when I combine things. 1:1 pepper:vinegar produces a thin sauce base. (ignore my lovely color balance, it's green)

cooked pepper sauce base, with serrano, jalapeno, more dried red peppers, most of the habaneros, apple cider vinegar. in progress. I flew too close to the sun and the extractor fan above the range was not enough. I've violated the Geneva Protocol and I think I am dying. the dried red peppers fried in garlic olive oil taste incredible by themselves though.

Onions, carrots, and garlic to be added later, pending testing. Most of the habaneros spoiled while I was too busy to get to them. The tomatillos, I think, are unsalvageable. Will update when I have more news.

edit: I have a face mask. Could not find goggles. Death is certain.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 28, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

atomicthumbs posted:

cooked pepper sauce base, with serrano, jalapeno, more dried red peppers, most of the habaneros, apple cider vinegar. in progress. I flew too close to the sun and the extractor fan above the range was not enough. I've violated the Geneva Protocol and I think I am dying.

edit: I have a face mask. Could not find goggles. Death is certain.

This is why I am not allowed to cook weird things indoors anymore, and have been mostly banished to the 'outdoor kitchen'.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

oxyrosis posted:

Only 3 lovers of the default mexican sauce in socal? I get points each time I ask for some at my mexican friend's houses.

My favorite t-shirt is my Tapatio shirt. Tapatio is life. I just moved to Boston and made a new friend through our mutual love of that tasty everyday hot sauce. Louisiana is 10 times better than tobacco, and I'm glad to see love for chipotle cholua in this thread. My wife is an absolute wuss when it comes to spicy, but I bet she'd drink that stuff straight from the bottle. Anyone know where you can find Lao Gan Ma sauce in Allston, MA? I'm living in Korea town, so I'm hoping it should be close. I love sambal, but if that poo poo is better, I'm happy to move on.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Found this while out shopping hiding on a corner shelf. It's definitely one of the hotter sauces I've tried. I need to have some more to get a true sense of it's flavor as just a little dab was enough to start an endorphin rush.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Which brand was the one with lots of lead in it that we shouldn't buy?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
El Yucateco.

Markoff Chaney posted:

A warning to El Yucateco fans: Their sauce has been found to contain a bit more lead than we really want to put in our bodies and lead is not a thing to take lightly http://news.unlv.edu/article/study-hidden-dangers-hot-sauce

Are there any test strips you can buy to test stuff for lead? The black label El Yucateco is delicious, but lead poisoning isn't. :ohdear:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's worth noting they only found it in a single bottle of the yucatero habanero variety, and were not able to find such high levels in other bottles of the same product.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Hot sauce update: it tastes good. My dad's review consisted of "God drat" and "you are a worthy successor" (he enjoys telling me about when he made what his friends called "burn-your-rear end-off sauce" and he had to dip his hands in a pot full of milk to get them to stop burning).

More importantly, despite washing my hands thoroughly many times and wearing gloves for most of the pepper handling, they apparently still have habanero residue on them from last night and I want to die

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

atomicthumbs posted:

Hot sauce update: it tastes good. My dad's review consisted of "God drat" and "you are a worthy successor" (he enjoys telling me about when he made what his friends called "burn-your-rear end-off sauce" and he had to dip his hands in a pot full of milk to get them to stop burning).

More importantly, despite washing my hands thoroughly many times and wearing gloves for most of the pepper handling, they apparently still have habanero residue on them from last night and I want to die

Congrats on your sauce. You really should wear some disposable powderless gloves when handling really strong peppers, a box of them isn't very expensive and they have other uses in the kitchen.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Chopping chiles, especially the hotter varieties, is the equivalent of macing your hands. And the hot sauce that results is totally worth maced hands.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Tried some Try Me Tiger sauce, tonight. It is very sugary with a decent pepper flavor. Not my thing but my wife really likes it v:shobon:v

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

atomicthumbs posted:

That happened to me with "The Source" it's some 7 million scoville extract black tar looking stuff, and it took days for it to exit my skin. My fingertips couldn't feel it but my wang and my lips could(not necessarily in that order or close together.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

Tried some Try Me Tiger sauce, tonight. It is very sugary with a decent pepper flavor. Not my thing but my wife really likes it v:shobon:v

I bought some recently as well. It reminds me of a thinner Thai sweet chili sauce. I added some to sour cream as a dip for crackers, but it would be better poured over cream cheese.

I also bought Pickapeppa Sauce, another one I had always wanted to try, which was a lot like A-1, but perhaps with more of a jerk-seasoned kick. Very fruity and sweet, and would probably also be good with cream cheese, but of the two, I preferred the Tiger Sauce.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Quick. As an all purpose what's better? Louisana or Crystal? I've been tasting them side by side and can't loving decide.

I mean Lousiana is straight forward vinegar and cayenne. Crystal has a little extra flavor but is that better I can't decide.

Edit: By the way I'm one of those weirdos has a 15 different hot sauces because each one belongs on a different food(probably like everyone in this read). Example: Tabasco on pizza, Valentina extra hot on taquitos, Louisiana on chicken fried steak and Mac and cheese and greens, Sriracha on samosas etc... I just want to make sure the world knows the purpose of Cholula and that is to be doused upon anything covered in chili. You haven't lived until you've had Cholula doused chili cheese fries.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 31, 2014

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
Louisiana all the way. Crystal is barely better than Tabasco in my book. (gently caress tabasco)

Ed: the rest of your choices are legit,though. However you should try Louisiana on pan fried white fish. Tilapia smothered in la hot sauce with greens and rice is a staple meal in my house.

Dickey Butts fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 31, 2014

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Dickey Butts posted:

(gently caress tabasco)

Tabasco > Louisiana > Crystal

:dealwithit:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Pioneer42 posted:

Crystal > Louisiana > Tabasco

I'm sorry, you had that backwards.

Anyone with Crystal in their area seen the Extra Hot variant? I saw my parents last weekend and hit up the stores looking to stock up and there was nothing. They had nothing months ago, but I assumed they were just temporarily out of stock. It was my favorite. :smith:

xergm fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 31, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Dickey Butts posted:

gently caress Tabasco

More for me, heathen.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Butch Cassidy posted:

More for me, heathen.

I like Tabasco for some applications, I just feel it has a lot more body to it then Crystals, Louisiana, or Franks. If you want a high clean vinegar zip, the latter are for you. I use Tabasco for stuff like my home made chicken rice greens soup, which I make with a chicken sweet potato stock and it's really sweet, needs something to cut it. It's also the only thing I put on Mac and Cheese. I also really liked the Tabasco Chipotle on turkey sandwiches, but that job has been taken over completely by Cholula Chipotle, which I can find easier (thank you, Publix International Foods Aisle!), and that's much smokier, which I like.

Anyone else like the Tijuana Flats hot sauces? It's a colorful tex-mex chain that does a lot of charity stuff (or at least, they wear it on their sleeve a lot more then other joints). They also prominently feature a nice hot sauce bar that lets you try all the sauces they have on tap. Fun to get an order of nachos (the queso is some derivative of crack cocaine, it's super ghetto and bad for you but I Can Not StopPuttinItInMyMouth) and just try different hot sauces for an hour.

My dad picked up a recent special edition breast cancer mango hot sauce from TF I really liked. Not complex or super hot or anything, it was kinda like the kool-aid of hot sauces. I used the bottle in about a week. I put it on everything. I put it in a SMOOTHIE.

So yeah. I'm not about burning my mouth off or anything, I'm pretty easily overwhelmed by super hot heat (scoville and temperature wise!), and I'm not super sophisticated about it. I just like what I like, and I like trying new things.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 1, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The extra hot sriracha is a lot nicer than the normal stuff. The heat cuts through a lot of the sweetness

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

Veri Peri Veri Hot: God-damned delicious. Garlic and lemon take the main stage while mustard and peppers fill out the edges in this emulsion sauce with a very healthy spice level. I poured some into a little sauce dipping dish and used it straight with some crudités :yum: The heat lingers for a long finish and I really need to try the garlic version and grab some regular and hot to tuck in some stockings.

I gave a bottle of Veri Peri Garlic to a friend and it is delicious with a mild heat. He mixed it with some mayo and vinegary red hot sauce as a smear for some beer-battered fried pollock I just whipped up. Also delicious after letting some malt vinegar soak into the fish.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Suspect Bucket posted:

This is why I am not allowed to cook weird things indoors anymore, and have been mostly banished to the 'outdoor kitchen'.

I made ghost pepper wings last Super Bowl and essentially maced the kitchen and living room.

Then I ate them and burned my face.

Then I took a piss and burned my dork.

Then I had to take out my contacts.

NosmoKing fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 30, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

xergm posted:

I'm sorry, you had that backwards.

Anyone with Crystal in their area seen the Extra Hot variant? I saw my parents last weekend and hit up the stores looking to stock up and there was nothing. They had nothing months ago, but I assumed they were just temporarily out of stock. It was my favorite. :smith:

Yeah, i see it at the WinCo near me and I picked up a bottle not too long ago, ya need one shipped to you?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I've never been a big fan of Tabasco, Valentina, or Tapatio for some reason. And to the goon who tried Bufalo, yeah, that poo poo is terrible.

I'm definitely on the Cholula bandwagon, but this chilango I used to work with turned me on to Yucatan Sunshine. I like it a lot.

For general background heat in recipes I like to use this Hunan red chili sauce. But you have to go easy on it if you're just adding it for heat; it's got a strong flavor.

I can't eat as much hot sauce as I could when I was a strapping young lad. Not without hours of gastrointestinal payback. Getting older's a bitch. :(

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Cubelodyte posted:

I've never been a big fan of Tabasco, Valentina, or Tapatio for some reason. And to the goon who tried Bufalo, yeah, that poo poo is terrible.

Yeah that was me, just god awful stuff. But I am really loving my bottle of Tapatio. Running through it pretty quick, using it on my eggs each morning.

quote:

I can't eat as much hot sauce as I could when I was a strapping young lad. Not without hours of gastrointestinal payback. Getting older's a bitch. :(

I feel you, I just can't stop eating hot foods.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Hey there's an active hot sauce thread! Let me introduce myself, I'm keanex and I've grown a love of hot sauce recently. Store bought stuff that I enjoy is Tabasco, Crystal, and anything with Chipotle peppers in it. I would explore more hot sauces, but instead I've turned to making my own. So far I've made 3 batches and am fermenting some habaneros right now.

Batch 1:

Serrano, apple cider vinegar, home brewed pale ale, pineapple and chia seeds. This tastes great, but it's far too thin. It was my first batch and separation was huge. I wound up scrapping it, but plan to revisit it very soon since serranos are cheap and approachable.

Batch 2:

Mango, habanero, distilled white wine vinegar, chia seeds and Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe. This is a delicious sauce that livens up many boring plates that would do with a mango presence. It's hot, but the mango balances it, to a degree.

Batch 3:

Red long hots, cherry peppers, habanero, Devil's tongue, distilled white wine vinegar and Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. This has a slightly sweet red tomato sauce presence to it with a good Tabasco-esque heat on the finish. I love this one!

and now I'm fermenting some habaneros. I made the mistake of not using gloves or wearing any eye wear to protect me, but nothing major happened. I did have some residue around my eyes that caused a mild burning sensation when I touched my eyes that wouldn't wash away easily though.

Cheers!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

My brother is growing these tiny peppers. What are they?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Likely delicious.

I don't know, sorry. They're too short/stubby for Thai.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Not sure, but these guys would know: http://thehippyseedcompany.com/

Here is their youtube channel, where they test peppers and sauces: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHippySeedCompany

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 8, 2014

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

dino. posted:

They look like they could be super chilis to me. Most pictures online show them growing a little longer and thinner, but my folks had some that were stubby like that.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

My uncle grows those too, he didn't know the species either.

The closest resemblance is to Pequin peppers- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pequin_pepper.

So maybe that's what they are?

Edit:
Fixed Wiki link

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

dino. posted:

Yeah they're chile pequins/petins they're stupid hot and grow wild in south Texas. Pretty hardy bush, they'll freeze down and look dead and pop back up in the spring.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 9, 2014

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
They are lethally hot. Very tasty though. Thanks for the ID help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Hrm if the ID is correct then the scoville scale they rate around 100,000 scoville's which is pretty hot but not deathly. Do you find them hotter than habanero?