Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
let us remember the original. thank u Wilbur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Adenoid Dan posted:

I think they quantify the capsaicin and use a conversion factor to get the Scoville number now.

Stop spreading misinformation, Frank over at the old Scoville plant deserves a little job security after drinking all that milk for so long.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Brought back some local hot sauce from St Croix.

So far they have all been standard Caribbean flavors and decently spicy. Middle bottle was an un-marked homemade sauce from a gas station and by far the best.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The best bottles are always the unlabeled or home-labeled. Wish I could find a local maker here, on the equator and below you can't avoid stumbling into some

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The best bottles are always the unlabeled or home-labeled. Wish I could find a local maker here, on the equator and below you can't avoid stumbling into some

Be the creator you want to see in the world.

It’s pretty easy. I won’t get much from my garden this year and am sad.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So its been years since I made my previous batch of fermented chilis. I'm looking to buy about 4lbs of jalapenos, and I'm wondering what size jar/bucket I'll need.

Would 1 gallon work? Or a 2 gallon bucket? Trying to figure out which is most cost effective.

Can I use tap water, or should I used distilled or spring water?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Your tap water almost certainly has chlorine in it. Check with your supplier to see if it's chlorine or chloramine. If it's the former, you can boil it off or even let it evaporate. If it's chloraminated it'll stay in the water no matter what. Either kill bacteria of all nature

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Soul Dentist posted:

Your tap water almost certainly has chlorine in it. Check with your supplier to see if it's chlorine or chloramine. If it's the former, you can boil it off or even let it evaporate. If it's chloraminated it'll stay in the water no matter what. Either kill bacteria of all nature

Welp, RIP. I just used the small batch of my homegrown peppers and onions to make a small (1 jar) batch of mash and 4% brine.

My city uses Chloramine :downs:

Luckily I haven't bought the peppers for my big batch, so I'll use distilled water I guess.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Annath posted:

Welp, RIP. I just used the small batch of my homegrown peppers and onions to make a small (1 jar) batch of mash and 4% brine.

My city uses Chloramine :downs:

Luckily I haven't bought the peppers for my big batch, so I'll use distilled water I guess.

4% is a lot of salt anyway and will make fermentation on the slow side. It will probably still work just fine. But if it tastes like band-aids later then you'll know it was the chloramine. I've definitely forgotten to use boiled or de-chlorinated water (with sodium metabisulfite or potassium metabisulfite) and it's turned out fine in saurkraut and other ferments. Is it ideal, of course not, but don't give up hope until it doesn't actually work.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

4% is a lot of salt anyway and will make fermentation on the slow side. It will probably still work just fine. But if it tastes like band-aids later then you'll know it was the chloramine. I've definitely forgotten to use boiled or de-chlorinated water (with sodium metabisulfite or potassium metabisulfite) and it's turned out fine in saurkraut and other ferments. Is it ideal, of course not, but don't give up hope until it doesn't actually work.

Hmmm... what I read said 2%-8% so I figured 4% was a happy medium :shrug:.

I'll let it sit and see what happens. When the big batch of peppers arrives I'll use less salt and distilled water, see what happens.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Annath posted:

Hmmm... what I read said 2%-8% so I figured 4% was a happy medium :shrug:.

I'll let it sit and see what happens. When the big batch of peppers arrives I'll use less salt and distilled water, see what happens.

I'm sure the 8% brine users will also talk like "kahm yeast" is a thing when it's just the yeast/bacteria that are doing the fermenting in your jar. Going up to 8% is expecting the lactic acid bacteria to do their job like putting a human in a 120 degree room and expecting them to do a job. It might get done, but nothing will be happy and it might not finish. 2%-4% is plenty, and even going to 5% you start seeing a drop in activity.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

I'm sure the 8% brine users will also talk like "kahm yeast" is a thing when it's just the yeast/bacteria that are doing the fermenting in your jar. Going up to 8% is expecting the lactic acid bacteria to do their job like putting a human in a 120 degree room and expecting them to do a job. It might get done, but nothing will be happy and it might not finish. 2%-4% is plenty, and even going to 5% you start seeing a drop in activity.

Gotcha. I'll do like 3% for the big batch then.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If you're using distilled water, make sure to use sea salt in the brine to give the bacteria the micro nutrients they also need. I don't bother if the water has minerals, but it makes a difference in chemically pure H2O

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you see a recipe that marks 8%, it's probably using something like kosher as the salt and going by volume.

FWIW I've never had city water, chlorine and all, harm fermentation and if it's something that you can taste I certainly can't. I've also never been one to use a brita or whatever.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I have some pickling salt from making pickles, so I'll just use that with some spring water.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Lmao the Wegmans near me is having a Hatch Chili Roasting Event, so I bought 23lbs of (raw) "extra hot" Hatch Chilies for $40, which comes out to like $0.57/lb.

Gonna make a big batch of fermented mash, and vacuum seal and freeze the rest.

Other than garlic, and fun extras I could add?

E: also, I've read that green pepper-based sauces sometimes turn brown over time - is there a way to avoid that?

Last time I used yellow and orange habaneros, garlic, and mango, and the sauce remained a bright yellow-orange until it was all used up. I preserved the leftover mash (properly canned) and the jars I have left unopened are still brightly colored 3 years on.

Annath fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 2, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Annath posted:

I bought 23lbs of (raw) "extra hot" Hatch Chilies for $40, which comes out to like $0.57/lb.

Uh...

Anyways, some acid will prevent oxidization. Lime juice is tasty or your favorite vinegar.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Soul Dentist posted:

Uh...

Anyways, some acid will prevent oxidization. Lime juice is tasty or your favorite vinegar.

What, it's literally 10% of the cost of the fresh peppers I found online.

Would the lactic acid from fermentation be enough to prevent the oxidization, or should I add some lime or vinegar when bottling the sauce?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Annath posted:

Would the lactic acid from fermentation be enough to prevent the oxidization, or should I add some lime or vinegar when bottling the sauce?

I normally add bottled citrus juice or vinegar. Or if I just want the color preservation I add citric acid. Fermentation will often change the color by itself.

You could also hot water can a bunch of the mash if you have the kit and jars free. I'd probably go this way myself, I like to leave hatch mash chunky and wetter and the freezer tends to take away the texture of it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Annath posted:

Your math is wrong and it's $1.74/raw lb if you spent $40 on 23lbs

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

I normally add bottled citrus juice or vinegar. Or if I just want the color preservation I add citric acid. Fermentation will often change the color by itself.

You could also hot water can a bunch of the mash if you have the kit and jars free. I'd probably go this way myself, I like to leave hatch mash chunky and wetter and the freezer tends to take away the texture of it.

I don't have the stuff kit or jars anymore (kit got lost in a move, jars are currently filled with previous batch of mash), but I'll buy some more and do another batch of jarred mash.

My plan was to basically puree the peppers, garlic, and onions, then mix with 3% salt solution and let it ferment.

Then I'd take the mash and squeeze it in cheesecloth, mix the liquid with a small (tiny) amount of xanthan gum to prevent separation, and bottle it.

The mash gets re-hydrated with bit of brine, and jarred separately via hot water process.

That's what I did with my previous sauce (habanero, garlic, and mango, although that was chunks of peppers during fermentation not a puree, pureed afterwards) and it worked great.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Soul Dentist posted:

Your math is wrong and it's $1.74/raw lb if you spent $40 on 23lbs

:doh:

Still a really good price though

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah! I wouldn't worry too much about the color, since it's not like roasted chiles are going to be super bright green anyways. Lime juice is almost guaranteed to be in whatever you use it for in the end, so I'd add it for flavor anyways

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I wonder if cilantro would go good with the other ingredients.

I had a really good sauce with cilantro and I'm wondering if I could do something similar.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Annath posted:

I wonder if cilantro would go good with the other ingredients.

I had a really good sauce with cilantro and I'm wondering if I could do something similar.

Cilantro works wonders in hot sauce.

Cilanktro is great.

A classmate also let me try this one the other day and as the name implied, it was heavy on cilantro.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
How does this kind of airlock work?

It's different than the kind that came with my last fermentation jar, and it didn't have any instructions.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Annath posted:

How does this kind of airlock work?

It's different than the kind that came with my last fermentation jar, and it didn't have any instructions.

The line on the outside container is where you fill the water. The gas pushes up through the center and down through the water in the notches in the bell portion in the middle. It will float up and drop down as the pressure moves out.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

The line on the outside container is where you fill the water. The gas pushes up through the center and down through the water in the notches in the bell portion in the middle. It will float up and drop down as the pressure moves out.

Gotcha, thanks.

The one I had before was a curvy twisty tube that you had to fill, turn upside down, then fill a bit more.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuhgHzuPYiI

E:

Gonna need more jars

(wine bottle for scale)

Annath fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 4, 2023

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
First time about to try a fermented mash hot sauce in a vacuum sealed bag. I have a bunch of wiri wiri, ring of fire, and red Caribbean peppers that are ready to pluck.

I also have a huge selection of dried chilis. Would you think I should stick with the fresh chilis or add some dried into the mix as well?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
AFAIK, dried will work fine mixed into the mash.

How's your vacuum bag gonna work? Do your bags have one-way valves?

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
i just leave a bit of headspace in the bag and when they inflate i put a pinhole in the corner, squeeze out the carbon dioxide, then reseal diagonally across the corner with the vacuum sealer. works great

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Danger bowl!

Danger mash!

Danger bag!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Lol I woke up this morning and the air lock on my jar was like stuck at the top and some brine had seeped out around the seal (I put in more mash after my first pic).

I filled the air lock to the fill line, but it feels like maybe it had too much water to vent properly?

I really preferred the kind with no moving parts... this other kind seems unnecessarily complicated.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Annath posted:

Lol I woke up this morning and the air lock on my jar was like stuck at the top and some brine had seeped out around the seal (I put in more mash after my first pic).

I filled the air lock to the fill line, but it feels like maybe it had too much water to vent properly?

I really preferred the kind with no moving parts... this other kind seems unnecessarily complicated.

That shouldn’t happen unless you have something plugging the tube. So if the mash is floating into the tube it would cause trouble regardless of 3-piece or S airlock.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

That shouldn’t happen unless you have something plugging the tube. So if the mash is floating into the tube it would cause trouble regardless of 3-piece or S airlock.

There was no mash in the tube, the little floating cup thing was just sitting at the top of the lock with the top touching the cap of the airlock. Should I take the cap off the lock?

I can take a picture when I get home from work.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Annath posted:

There was no mash in the tube, the little floating cup thing was just sitting at the top of the lock with the top touching the cap of the airlock. Should I take the cap off the lock?

I can take a picture when I get home from work.

If the floating bit was stuck at the top then you may have put in too much water. It's a floating bell release. So pressure pushes it up until it can sneak under the bell which then falls back down and the gas goes out through the water. You may also just have a very active ferment that's pushing out a lot of gas, but if it's doing that you'd have a stream of bubbles running through the water.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I poured out a bit of water from the lock, so we'll see if that fixes it.

Also, check out these bubbles!

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Annath posted:

(wine bottle for scale)

This box looks surprised by its bounty.

Anyone have recommendations for lower-sodium store bought hot sauces? Family member is on a very low sodium diet and they miss hot sauce.

We’ve tried this and it was a hit
https://www.salsas.com/herdez/products/hot_sauce/herdez-avocado-hot-sauce/

Might have to order this
https://mariesharpsusa.com/products/mango-habanero-sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Ghost Cactus posted:

This box looks surprised by its bounty.

Anyone have recommendations for lower-sodium store bought hot sauces? Family member is on a very low sodium diet and they miss hot sauce.

We’ve tried this and it was a hit
https://www.salsas.com/herdez/products/hot_sauce/herdez-avocado-hot-sauce/

Might have to order this
https://mariesharpsusa.com/products/mango-habanero-sauce

I don’t know about salt but Marie Sharp’s is my favorite hot sauce. My wife and I discovered it on a trip to Belize in 2008 and I’ve had some variety of Marie Sharp’s in our pantry since. It’s just excellent.