Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm currently at work, but when I get home I can check one of my bottles of Cholula Chili-Garlic...

Oh wait, I have a pic right here...

Looks like 170mg per Tsp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Annath posted:

I'm currently at work, but when I get home I can check one of my bottles of Cholula Chili-Garlic...

Oh wait, I have a pic right here...

Looks like 170mg per Tsp.

That pic is making me want eggs and rice.

170mg is about 1/4 to 1/5 of the sodium they can have in a day, unfortunately.

Kaddish posted:

I don’t know about salt but Marie Sharp’s is my favorite hot sauce. My wife and I discovered it on a trip to Belize in 2008 and I’ve had some variety of Marie Sharp’s in our pantry since. It’s just excellent.

Awesome! I’ll order some.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Ghost Cactus posted:

That pic is making me want eggs and rice.

170mg is about 1/4 to 1/5 of the sodium they can have in a day, unfortunately.

Awesome! I’ll order some.

RIP. Hopefully that other sauce is serviceable.

Cholula makes my favorite general hot sauce, followed by Valentina. They also make my favorite garlic hot sauce (obviously).

Tabasco makes my favorite Chipotle sauce though, even though I don't like their regular sauce.

I don't really like most green sauces, hopefully my homemade sauce changes that.

There's also pepper-adjacent sauces like Pickappa Sauce, which is incredible on meat.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Pickapeppa looks like it could work. Thank you!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ghost Cactus posted:

Pickapeppa looks like it could work. Thank you!

I really like it, but be aware it's very different from other "hot sauces". It has a much more complex and savory flavor. Check out the ingredients for example.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Yeah the raisins and onions sounded like a nice combo. We cook with raisins in savory dishes a fair amount so I’m looking forward to trying it. Hope they like it.

Thanks for all your help! Good luck with the green sauce it looks like it’ll be amazing.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Is this the right thread for hot sauce recipes? I'm looking to make some new stuff this week with my garden haul.

I have a ton of the following:
ghost peppers
habaneros
carolina reapers
starfish
long cayennes (the kind that are good for either hot sauce or drying)

and also a lesser amount of:
fatali
scotch bonnet
ghost pepper that might have hybridized with a habanero??

Any suggestions? I can do fermented peppers too, I have a few airlocks. I want to stay away from shelf stable stuff though because sanitizing everything is a chore, and I'm not sure if my pH meter needs a new probe tip.

One of favorites in the past was this ghost pepper sauce. It's a little finicky, it's really dependent on the flavor of the tomatoes you use and the sugar content of the tomatoes + onions and the flavor can be ruined if any of the peppers are over or underripe.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The cayennes would be good for a homemade Tabasco sauce.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

mariooncrack posted:

The cayennes would be good for a homemade Tabasco sauce.

I thought Tabasco used Tabasco peppers.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Annath posted:

I thought Tabasco used Tabasco peppers.

It does. Cayenne vinegar sauces are Crystal or Louisiana. Tabasco is also fermented for a long while, so there are some differences too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My bad. I was thinking of Frank's Red Hot, which uses Cayenne peppers.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I've got a batch of hot sauce fermenting right now... I tried vacuum sealing my pepper mash and accidentally sucked out a portion of the liquid (which was already seeping out due to the salt) so it's pretty dry in there. I'm wondering what's the best way to turn it back into a sauce when it's done. I'm thinking blending it with as little water as I can get away with, and then topping it off with apple cider vinegar to keep the pH low. Is that a reasonable approach?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rarbatrol posted:

I've got a batch of hot sauce fermenting right now... I tried vacuum sealing my pepper mash and accidentally sucked out a portion of the liquid (which was already seeping out due to the salt) so it's pretty dry in there. I'm wondering what's the best way to turn it back into a sauce when it's done. I'm thinking blending it with as little water as I can get away with, and then topping it off with apple cider vinegar to keep the pH low. Is that a reasonable approach?

I like to add vinegar or bottled lemon/lime juice myself. You probably didn't lose enough salt/brine to worry about, but you can also make a salt-brine that you can thin with. I like the vinegar/juice though. Adding flavor with the thinning. Go slow, it always thins faster than I expect.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I think my pepper mash is done fermenting. It no longer making visible bubbles, and the mash isn't expanding from the bubbles like it was before (it caused it to overflow the airlock at one point).

So, this weekend I'll be straining the mash through cheesecloth, pureeing the mash, then adding back some brine. Maybe some lime juice as well.

You gotta use a little (very little, like a quarter teaspoon) Xanthan Gum, to keep it from separating.

E: suggestions for bottles? I'm thinking a bottle with an opening like Texas Pete or Cholula would work best - small/narrow, to prevent it all dumping out, but not as narrow as those bottles with the little plastic dripper inserts since the sauce will be a bit too thick for that.

Annath fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 15, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Ordered some bottles.

In the meantime, I had enough for 2 batches - one with lime, and one without. :v:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Oh god I still have half a pumpkin remaining.
Combined the first half with varying amounts of peppers, carrots, garlic, salt, sugar and apple vinegar.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
If you want to make a fermented hot sauce with garlic do you ferment the garlic? Or pepper, salt, water, only? I think garlic after? I've always done various vinegars, umami/salt boosters, little bit of super lime juice from the bar. Just always hear how good the lacto fermenting is.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I blended peppers, onion, and garlic all together before fermenting for mine.

The garlic is very forward, which I love.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ferment the garlic

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Didn't get enough Scotch bonnet or habaneros this year to do anything interesting with so I'll probably just throw them in the freezer to save for recipes. Some of them look pretty nice though

I dehydrated my Aleppos to grind as needed for pepper flakes. Way better flavor and a good amount spicier than the jarred stuff. The smell coming out of the dehydrator was unbelievable. Homemade on the left, jarred on the right.

These Zapotec jalapenos are hot, at or near low-habanero hot. Trying vacuum sealed fermented sauce for the first time. Nothing like some of you guys do heat wise but should be pretty good on eggs and tacos.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, my homemade hot sauce was a huge hit at work. Enough so that people are asking me to make more, and offering to pay for it.

I'm not looking to turn a profit, so I'll just charge enough to cover the cost of the materials.

With that in mind, does anyone know where I could get a bulk order of peppers? I used Hatch peppers this time, but anything around that level of spiciness would probably work.

I was able to get a good deal from Wegmans because they were doing a big Roasted Hatch Chilies event, but I'm not sure if I could get that bulk price now that the event is over.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Annath posted:

So, my homemade hot sauce was a huge hit at work. Enough so that people are asking me to make more, and offering to pay for it.

I'm not looking to turn a profit, so I'll just charge enough to cover the cost of the materials.

With that in mind, does anyone know where I could get a bulk order of peppers? I used Hatch peppers this time, but anything around that level of spiciness would probably work.

I was able to get a good deal from Wegmans because they were doing a big Roasted Hatch Chilies event, but I'm not sure if I could get that bulk price now that the event is over.

What state are you in? New Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona still have a ton of roadside stands roasting Hatch and Pueblo chilis. I’d bet Texas has fewer, but some near major cities.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm in Virginia unfortunately.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Annath posted:

I'm in Virginia unfortunately.

They only get sent out in bulk during the big harvest time. You could try restaurant supply stores, but the ones I have here stock the more popular menu items like shishito peppers, jalepeno, and habanero. My local supply ran out a few weeks ago already.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
drat.

Wegmans usually carries jalapeños year round, I guess I can ask if they will order a crate for me.

They've done an order of chorizo for me when they didn't have the kind I wanted, albeit that wasn't a bulk order.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I don't know what happened with hatch chiles this season but they were loving everywhere for some reason.

You won't get nearly the yield or similar flavor from jalapenos.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
If they’ll order you stuff, see if they can get you what you want first. They may be able to get it. A good grocery store will look up in their suppliers for you too even. May take a day or two to find out, but I’d rather wait a little and maybe find what I wanted.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I just spoke with Wegmans, and they can only order the Hatch peppers in February for delivery in August/September unfortunately.

They did say Anaheim were available year round and they could order me some, but they are significantly more expensive - $20 per 5lb box (the hatch were $40 per 23lb box).

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I grew too many reapers what do

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Rationale posted:

Make ice cream.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
We have always thrown leftover odds and ends into a ground spice mix. I did read a "pickled" reaper recipe the other day that sounded interesting, though. Could be neat.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Rationale posted:

I bought a microplane dried pepper mill off Amazon and have been dehydrating all my hurt berries to throw in it. It's got a little spring-loaded plunger inside that presses them all into a brick up against the blades.

The super duper hots add plenty of heat without being outright inedible/painful when ground into tiny pieces on food.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
when i was lucky enough to have too many i just dried them or froze them. as per your needs.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I got the itch to try to make Baby's First Hot Sauce at home - anyone got some good beginners' recipes?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

bolind posted:

I got the itch to try to make Baby's First Hot Sauce at home - anyone got some good beginners' recipes?

Maybe a habanero pineapple? Should be only a few ingredients and it's a fresh sauce so you're just blending stuff together. Plenty of recipes online.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Kaddish posted:

Maybe a habanero pineapple? Should be only a few ingredients and it's a fresh sauce so you're just blending stuff together. Plenty of recipes online.

Thanks. I don't mind some boiling, but that certainly looks like an option!

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

I first tried to make a hot sauce a couple of years ago. It did not go well. The recipe called for me to saute jalapenos...and most you can probably see where that's going. We didn't have a hood exhaust, and we pepper sprayed ourselves out of the kitchen.

I kept growing peppers because they're easy and cool looking, but mostly just pickled them or used them fresh. I was scared off by the fermentation because I have none of the equipment, but this year, I finally said gently caress it, I'm gonna try. I used this recipe: https://www.thecuriouschickpea.com/easy-homemade-hot-sauce/. It seemed to have a lot of useful information for a first time, and provided me a way to ferment without the equipment I usually see called for - just a jar and a cheesecloth. For the peppers, I used 3 Datil Peppers that I grew and two yellow Italian frying peppers I got from a farmer's market. It didn't result in a large batch, just two baby food jars, but HOLY poo poo. It was so good. The taste was great - a hit of garlic first then a frutiness from the peppers. And I don't have a huge spice tolerance, but the spice level was perfect for me.

I just harvested a poo poo ton of jalapenos that went red, and I bought a bunch of red Italian frying peppers this past weekend, so it's time to try again!

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I blended up ~2-1/2 gallons of jalapeños Hungarians and cayennes with vinegar salt sugar and honey. I think I’ll put all my reapers in it and give out little 3 ounce bottles

jaadee
May 3, 2013
Sorry to interrupt homemade hot sauce chat, but https://karmasauce.com/ has a bogo sale on one of their most popular sauces, Ghost Island. Karmasauce's recipes have apparently been all over the Hot Ones youtube show as of late but I fell off watching it some time ago so missed the train. I came across it when a local tamale shop did a full reorg and devoted an entire wall to hot sauces.

Ghost Island is mustardy and I love it with sandwich meats especially ham. Hot enough for me that I get sniffly when eating it with tortilla chips but never accumulates to discomfort. Tough to stomach the usual local price of $12 though considering how fast I rip through a bottle so half off means I'm stocking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I have never had a bad sauce from Karma.