Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

jaadee posted:

Sorry to interrupt homemade hot sauce chat, but https://karmasauce.com/ has a bogo sale on one of their most popular sauces, Ghost Island. Karmasauce's recipes have apparently been all over the Hot Ones youtube show as of late but I fell off watching it some time ago so missed the train. I came across it when a local tamale shop did a full reorg and devoted an entire wall to hot sauces.

Ghost Island is mustardy and I love it with sandwich meats especially ham. Hot enough for me that I get sniffly when eating it with tortilla chips but never accumulates to discomfort. Tough to stomach the usual local price of $12 though considering how fast I rip through a bottle so half off means I'm stocking up.

for me it's just $2 off. Is the sale already over?

edit: the bogo doesn't show on the sauce page but the home page lists it and it applies at checkout.

d0grent fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

jaadee posted:

Sorry to interrupt homemade hot sauce chat, but https://karmasauce.com/ has a bogo sale on one of their most popular sauces, Ghost Island. Karmasauce's recipes have apparently been all over the Hot Ones youtube show as of late but I fell off watching it some time ago so missed the train. I came across it when a local tamale shop did a full reorg and devoted an entire wall to hot sauces.

Ghost Island is mustardy and I love it with sandwich meats especially ham. Hot enough for me that I get sniffly when eating it with tortilla chips but never accumulates to discomfort. Tough to stomach the usual local price of $12 though considering how fast I rip through a bottle so half off means I'm stocking up.

I never heard of this company before. Shame because I live in Rochester. I just picked up the Ghost Island and the Huhu Pina at a local store.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 28, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

jaadee posted:

Just got my bottles a couple days ago and it's a very competent Caribbean style sauce! Thanks for the recommendation.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

What are the food safety considerations when making homemade hot sauce? I made a sauce with habaneros, some random Chinese peppers and jalapenos. Fermented in a vinegar mixture at room temp for 9 days, then pureed and refrigerated. That was.... awhile ago. It's just been hanging out in the fridge waiting for me to decide what to do with it. Some minor separation but no swelling. Smells and tastes fine, but it's so hot I probably wouldn't detect any off flavors.

I think I'm good, but if anyone has more expertise than me and can cite specific risks I'm all ears. It's a fuckton of sauce- I filled a whole gallon fermenting jar with peppers. The plan is to use it as a base to make a variety of sauces for gifts this Christmas, so I'd really rather not poison my friends.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wroughtirony posted:

What are the food safety considerations when making homemade hot sauce? I made a sauce with habaneros, some random Chinese peppers and jalapenos. Fermented in a vinegar mixture at room temp for 9 days, then pureed and refrigerated. That was.... awhile ago. It's just been hanging out in the fridge waiting for me to decide what to do with it. Some minor separation but no swelling. Smells and tastes fine, but it's so hot I probably wouldn't detect any off flavors.

I think I'm good, but if anyone has more expertise than me and can cite specific risks I'm all ears. It's a fuckton of sauce- I filled a whole gallon fermenting jar with peppers. The plan is to use it as a base to make a variety of sauces for gifts this Christmas, so I'd really rather not poison my friends.

You should consider how much salt and acid you have added as a percentage of total weight. So 2-5% salt by weight is important when fermenting, and total acidity needs to bring the pH down under 4.6 to be safe for longer term storage at room temp (I aim for 4.4 to account for any issues in measuring/calibration issues, but that's more to err on the side of caution). Fermented hot sauces will separate over time naturally. I lacto-ferment mine and they tend to finish about 3.3 pH. Keeping it in the fridge will slow your fermentation, and having enough vinegar and salt from the start will keep it find for 3-6 months easily if you keep it from getting a bunch of oxygen into the container. Once you've decided fermentation is done, you can preserve them in a hot water bath, boiled for 10 minutes. Saying that, if the brine was correct by weight from the start, you can keep hot sauce for a long time. If you're planning on holiday presents I would go water can them soon though.

You won't necessarily taste spoilage either, but with the other parts correct, you should be okay in the fermentation process.

Lacto-fermenting can leave it even more shelf stable than you'd think, and I've kept some for years. A couple years ago I plated, streaked, and stained some of it and it showed no signs of spoilage. I wouldn't advise doing it without plenty of controls, but you have to remember that Tabasco sauce is fermented in barrels for up to 3 years. Fermentation is a really cool way to preserve and modify things in your kitchen.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Went to a hot sauce store to pick up some more secret aardvark, told they're having issues with the supplier trying to get it into Canada.

First sriracha, now secret aardvark. :negative:

Supposedly it's more of a canadian regulation issue rather than a crop failure shortage issue. So they could sort it out in theory, but then there're issues of renegotiating supply deals, which seems to be the real sticking point. It could come back eventually, but these core sauce shortages suck. Gonna have to pay too much for a bottle off amazon or something.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jehde posted:

Went to a hot sauce store to pick up some more secret aardvark, told they're having issues with the supplier trying to get it into Canada.

First sriracha, now secret aardvark. :negative:

Supposedly it's more of a canadian regulation issue rather than a crop failure shortage issue. So they could sort it out in theory, but then there're issues of renegotiating supply deals, which seems to be the real sticking point. It could come back eventually, but these core sauce shortages suck. Gonna have to pay too much for a bottle off amazon or something.

Huy Fong isn't a crop failure issue, it's a greed issue. Underwood Ranch was the pepper supplier for Huy Fong for years and since the two companies have cut ties, UR now makes their own sauces. Not available in many stores currently, and I have no idea if they ship internationally, but it's worth looking into.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Jhet posted:

You should consider how much salt and acid you have added as a percentage of total weight. So 2-5% salt by weight is important when fermenting, and total acidity needs to bring the pH down under 4.6 to be safe for longer term storage at room temp (I aim for 4.4 to account for any issues in measuring/calibration issues, but that's more to err on the side of caution). Fermented hot sauces will separate over time naturally. I lacto-ferment mine and they tend to finish about 3.3 pH. Keeping it in the fridge will slow your fermentation, and having enough vinegar and salt from the start will keep it find for 3-6 months easily if you keep it from getting a bunch of oxygen into the container. Once you've decided fermentation is done, you can preserve them in a hot water bath, boiled for 10 minutes. Saying that, if the brine was correct by weight from the start, you can keep hot sauce for a long time. If you're planning on holiday presents I would go water can them soon though.

You won't necessarily taste spoilage either, but with the other parts correct, you should be okay in the fermentation process.

Lacto-fermenting can leave it even more shelf stable than you'd think, and I've kept some for years. A couple years ago I plated, streaked, and stained some of it and it showed no signs of spoilage. I wouldn't advise doing it without plenty of controls, but you have to remember that Tabasco sauce is fermented in barrels for up to 3 years. Fermentation is a really cool way to preserve and modify things in your kitchen.

Thanks! That's pretty much what I was thinking. I ordered a ph meter so I can test what I have and make sure it's where I want it to be. I can't remember what recipe I used but I do remember weighing the salt, so that should be good.

Would you water can the base sauce as it is now or mix it into finished product and then boil? Leaning toward the former.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wroughtirony posted:

Would you water can the base sauce as it is now or mix it into finished product and then boil? Leaning toward the former.

Finished product is what should get the canning treatment. If you do it soon it will last just fine on a dark and cool shelf until you give it away. When you boil it you’re stopping the fermentation process and need to give it a stable environment and you shouldn’t be doing it twice.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Jhet posted:

Finished product is what should get the canning treatment. If you do it soon it will last just fine on a dark and cool shelf until you give it away. When you boil it you’re stopping the fermentation process and need to give it a stable environment and you shouldn’t be doing it twice.

10-4. Looks like I'm making a gallon or two of hot sauce this week!

That in mind, what should I make? I want to do one with maple syrup, a BBQ sauce or two, maybe something with local apples.... Starting with a very hot fermented hab/jalap/random chinese pepper/carrot/vinegar/salt base

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Started my first fermented sauces last Sunday, they're bubbling away and look healthy so hopefully I didn't screw up anything.

The one on the left is just yellow scorpions and peach scorpions.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Made some more Fatalii pepper jelly with the last fresh pods to give out as Christmas gifts.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
What recipe did you use?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Kaddish posted:

What recipe did you use?

Basically the same one that was in the Certo liquid pectin pouch, but I substituted a bunch of Fatalii (or Habaneros) for the 6 jalapenos it recommended.

Makes 8 cups:

2 Red Bell Peppers
28 Fatalii Peppers
(roughly 1.5-2 cups of finely blended peppers in total)
1.5c Apple Cider Vinegar
6.5c Sugar
juice from 1 lemon
1 pouch of Certo Liquid Fruit pectin

optional small bit of butter or margarine to stop foaming during boiling.

Blend the peppers and vinegar, bring it to a boil with the sugar and then add in the pectin, let it boil for another minute while stirring, then remove from heat and jar like normal.
I always cook the jars another 10 mins to make sure they're sterilized.

Dr_0ctag0n fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 13, 2023

Shadowfyst
Jun 8, 2003

I'm taking a shot at fermenting peppers and making hot sauce for the first time. The picture is from outside when I smartened up because I'm dumb and chopped them all in the house. Brine is 3.5% salt, they've been going for ~2 months, and it's crazy how much the smell has developed. They should be ready to go next week, and my tentative plans are:

Habanero- pineapple, vinegar, lime, turmeric
Peach ghost and khang starr lemon starburst - peach puree, vinegar, cumin, allspice
Hurt berry and blue ghost - garden tomato puree, carrot puree, lime, vinegar, black pepper

I'm struggling to come up with what to do with the chocolate bhutlah mix. I originally wanted to try making some kind of mole hot sauce but I can't figure out how to make it work, and now I'm leaning towards a sort of chipotle lime hot sauce. Does anyone have any recipe suggestions for fruity super hots?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

My first sauces turned out great! I blended up the fermented mash and added enough vinegar to get it to the right consistency (about a half cup or so) then I added a bit of salt, pepper, and a pinch of msg to taste.

The yellow/peach scorpion sauce is super hot.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

My first sauces turned out great! I blended up the fermented mash and added enough vinegar to get it to the right consistency (about a half cup or so) then I added a bit of salt, pepper, and a pinch of msg to taste.

The yellow/peach scorpion sauce is super hot.

Those look great. I love scorpion sauces. They end up so citrusy and bright.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Agreed, scorpions are still my favorite peppers. Great heat but also a ton of really interesting flavor.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Ordered a 3 pack of Secret Aardvark original last Saturday during their 20% off sale. The discount didn't get applied. I emailed them and they're gonna refund the difference because I guess it went down prematurely. At least they made it right.

Kinda regret not going for the scorpion instead. I liked it and already used the whole drat bottle up.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm overwintering a pepper plant (orange ghost) using this guide and it's been successful so far. Was my best one, great heat. The leaves grew back. I skipped the insecticide soap step. I might only grow it solo next year, I have too many peppers and made sauce. This is after it looked semi dead from cold too.

https://peppergeek.com/overwintering-pepper-plants/

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm overwintering a pepper plant (orange ghost) using this guide and it's been successful so far. Was my best one, great heat. The leaves grew back. I skipped the insecticide soap step. I might only grow it solo next year, I have too many peppers and made sauce. This is after it looked semi dead from cold too.

https://peppergeek.com/overwintering-pepper-plants/

This is a great guide to doing it. Do not be lazy about washing out the old dirt and pruning the root ball. You'll want the plant to put energy into growing plenty of roots again next year, and when it's going dormant-ish is when to do it.

I disagree with the concept of having too many peppers though. That nonsense doesn't belong in a hot sauce thread. :hehe:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

mischief posted:

Agreed, scorpions are still my favorite peppers. Great heat but also a ton of really interesting flavor.

I got a pack of Chocolate "cappuccino" Trinidad Scorpion seeds from pepperjoes for next year. I think I'm going to do two earth boxes this time and three plants in each. Three chocolate scorpions and three Fatalii.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Fatalii are some of my favorite. Paired with Lemon Drop they make some great hot sauce.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I think any pepper chat with myself or Jhet is going to be "OOH I LOVE THOSE" but Fatalii are always a pleasure to grow. Sturdy plants once established, good yield, and a really unique kind of citrus slant to the flavor. Plus the flowers are really pretty.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

I think any pepper chat with myself or Jhet is going to be "OOH I LOVE THOSE" but Fatalii are always a pleasure to grow. Sturdy plants once established, good yield, and a really unique kind of citrus slant to the flavor. Plus the flowers are really pretty.

This is accurate on most counts. I just don’t like 7 pot peppers. Or I should say, they don’t agree with me like all the others do.

Scorpions and T&T Morugas are my current favorites still. Fatalii is a great plant and I’ll plant them before habaneros going forward. The yield tends to be better and the fruit has a little more pulp as well. I love a good scotch bonnet, but I think I’d need to greenhouse them to get a proper yield. I loose sun early and my springs tend to be cooler being in a maritime 8b.

Jalapeños are my least favorite pepper out there. Not because they’re bad, real ones are great. It’s finding the real ones and not the ones crossed for people from the Midwest who think black pepper is spicy.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm a bit basic looking to develop a bit. Right now my wing sauce consist of Franks and butter. I'm not sure where to go from here. Add another ingredient? Look for a hot sauce that's just a little bit hotter? I'm not, like, super chasing scovilles because, again, basic.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The best sauce I ever made was a gochujang-honey-soy-garlic glaze. Don't have ratios for you, I just mixed poo poo until it tasted good. Honey-sriracha will hit a lot of the same notes with even fewer ingredients.

I once subbed Valentina Extra Hot in for Frank's, and honestly, that was pretty good, too. Might try it again with a squeeze of lime on top.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I finally pulled the remaining green tomatoes off the vine, because gently caress you it's New Years and you should have ripened when you had the chance. Had an idea to make a pickled green tomato and banana pepper relish. 50/50 mix of the two, plus garlic, black pepper, a big handful of dill, and a vinegar brine. Easy. I was already crafting an awesome tuna salad sandwich in my head.

I am pretty sure the "banana peppers" at the grocery store were actually some kind of hot wax peppers. Holy poo poo these pickles are hot. Decent flavor but nearly inedible beyond "very light snack" quantities.

And of course, I took no precautions when cutting these "mild" peppers and had napalm hands for the rest of the day, even after many rounds of olive oil and dish soap :v:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Discussion Quorum posted:

And of course, I took no precautions when cutting these "mild" peppers and had napalm hands for the rest of the day, even after many rounds of olive oil and dish soap :v:

Baking soda + hydrogen peroxide rubbed on your hands can help. When I stupidly skinned and partially seeded 35 pounds of hot and very hot hatch peppers this summer it was the only thing that really helped them not feel like they were on fire.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol by the sink to rinse my hands with after chopping peppers, works like a charm

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Johnny Scoville got the lab results back for a bottle of Last Dab Pepper X. 61,019 SHU. His instagram has a shot of the lab report if you don’t feel like waiting through the YouTube vid.

https://www.instagram.com/the_johnnyscoville/p/C2k5slKSSFZ/

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Speaking of Johnny Scoville there's a show on Hulu called Superhot about pepper freaks. It's narrated by Sonic and very much has mid-2000's Food Network show vibes.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Couldn't help but laugh at this moment from the first episode of that show:

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
Is there anything special I should know before trying to grow my own peppers from seed from the first time? I got two kinds of habaneros and a ghost pepper that I'd like to grow.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

XeeD posted:

Is there anything special I should know before trying to grow my own peppers from seed from the first time? I got two kinds of habaneros and a ghost pepper that I'd like to grow.

They like to be warm when germinating and growing. I leave them on my heating mat until they’re going to get hardened off. This means you need to be on top of water. Light needs are the same as most other things. The super hots like the ghost can take longer to start, two weeks isn’t uncommon, but most seeds will be sprouting in 4-8 days in warm and wet conditions.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
Beauty. All of my cayennes have sprouted and look evil already. A couple habs are starting to poke through and one ghostie that may be a weed. I should definitely figure out a warming system.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Some dumb insect (beetle probably) girdled my golden cayenne :mad:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Discussion Quorum posted:

Some dumb insect (beetle probably) girdled my golden cayenne :mad:

gently caress that rear end in a top hat beetle

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Birthday haul from Jungle Jim's!

The mushroom one is wild. Tastes like mushroom-flavored hot sauce duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Soul Dentist posted:

The mushroom one is wild.

Uh, yeah, we can read

Edit: non-shitpost edit that Melinda's Red Savina is excellent. We picked up the 6-pack variety recently and it's going the quickest by far. Perfect heat level, unintrusive but flavorful, just a great well-rounded sauce top notch