Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Sriracha is an absolute must.

For Mexican hot sauces, I actually like Valentina the best, and it is hilariously cheap. Like, less than a dollar for a 20oz bottle here in Texas.

nthing the Valentina love - we keep a 34oz bottle in the fridge at all times (less than $2!) and for Mexican foods or anything with eggs, it's just wonderful. Can't get enough of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

NIGARS posted:

Since I bought a bottle of this on a whim a few weeks ago I've found myself reaching for it over my other bottles every single time. I wish it was a tiny bit hotter but the flavour, consistency and colour are all just perfect. I think it's my go-to red hot sauce now.

That, my friend, is why they make this:

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

xergm posted:

Just make sure you look in the Hispanic foods aisle. I'm still not entirely sure what dictates whether a hot sauce is put there vs the regular condiment aisle by the other hot sauces.

Lead content and overall deliciousness.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Senior Funkenstien posted:

They have all the good sauces there and the subs are loving delicious.

I love the hot sauce bar, but I'd really have to disagree on the second part. I'd put it as sub-Subway tier sandwiches.

Back on-topic - i picked up some of this last time I was in Mexico:

Anybody seen it stateside? It uses habaneros and xcatic peppers, the latter of which i've never seen in the states. It's a really weird flavor. kinda funky and tangy, with not a lot of heat. Goes well on a lot of things, especially pork.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

goodness posted:

Can't be serious as subway is the garbage tier of sandwhich shops. The extra long cheeseburger at Burger King is more of a sub than the poo poo subway peddles.

Absolutely correct. Which explains how I feel about Firehouse pretty succinctly :)

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

goodness posted:

But you are the only one in the world who likes subway over any other chain. Their ingredients are low quality, their bread is poo poo, their corporate is really bad at hiring people from what I have seen.

You have really strong feelings about whether one awful sandwich chain is better than another awful sandwich chain.

Pro-choice - go get a good sandwich from someplace that is neither of these two.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
While I think regular tabasco has it's uses in things that need a healthy kick of vinegar, chipotle tabasco is one of a very small handful of hot sauces that I always, always have in my pantry.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

wormil posted:

Picked my first jalapeno from the garden and sliced off a piece to try, it wasn't what I was expecting. Two glasses of milk and two spoonfuls of sour cream later my eyes are still watering and my mouth is on fire. There wasn't even seeds or pulp in my slice, just green pepper. I thought I had some tolerance but either these jalapenos are hotter than normal or they are some other kind of pepper. They are exciting hot. Can't wait to make hot sauce from them.

Yeah, if you're used to grocery store jalapenos, that are 75% (or whatever, pulling a number out of my rear end) bell pepper genetically, real jalapenos can be a wake-up call.

That said, I've never had one that hot, but it could just be that you have a pretty low heat tolerance, or potentially accidentally planted a serrano or something that looks similar but is not actually a jalapeno.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

Picked up a 34 oz bottle of Valentina for $1.79 recently and tried it out tonight. Not super hot but that's a pretty tasty sauce and a massive steal at the price. Texture's a little thicker than most similar sauces I've had, which is nice because it doesn't just run off your food.

Theres a "super hot" version ( black bottle) that has the same great taste with just a little more heat.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
So all of my habaneros ripened at once. Any habanero sauce recipes that will last a fairly long time? I don't want to wind up with a huge batch that'll go bad in a week's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

mostlygray posted:

When I've got a lot of habaneros, I just roast them along side onions and garlic and make hot sauce in little bottles. I cut it about 50/50 with vinegar and blend them up until smooth. Tastes kind of sweet and not too hot at all. It likes a fair amount of salt so taste test as you're boiling the mixture. Shelf stable for years, especially if you process the bottles.

Sambal Oelek is good too but I wonder if habaneros are too spicy.

Roasted tomatillos are a good addition too. Just make sure that you're processing the jars properly and keeping the PH below 4 as mentioned above.

I'm sure this is a really stupid question, but by "process the jars", you mean just boiling & cleaning to sterilize? Or?