Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Can we talk about salsa here? Because I have some ghost pepper salsa which is loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Loutre posted:

My favorite internet purchase so far has to be The Pepper Plant.

https://www.amazon.com/Pepper-Plant-Sauce-Original-Pack/dp/B07199H39F/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1537888502&sr=8-3&keywords=pepper+plant

Not particularly hot, but has a distinct flavor I love on a lot of foods. Not sure what it is exactly. I've bought a dozen different sauces in the last year, Pepper Plant's the only one I've reordered multiple times - I'm on my sixth bottle right now.

Is this online only? Went to Whole Foods as they said they had some there cheaper but...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How's Marie Sharps?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Flaggy posted:

Marie Sharps Belizian Heat is easily in my top 5 all time sauces. Its real loving good is what I am saying.

I'll give it a shot if I can find it locally. Apparently the partnership with Walmart is over.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Also, holy poo poo, 10-20 bird chiles for 1/2 cup oil. That's gonna be... Spicier than I would have expected for ATK...

I watch a LOT of ATK/CC stuff and I can tell you that ever since Christopher Kimball got fired for stealing recipes and employees so he could spin off his own show, they've been doing recipes with MUCH more flavor (salty, spicy, sour, sweet, etc). Every time they'd do something with even a hint of black pepper or even crushed red pepper flakes when he still ran things, he'd make a huge show about how "it's so spicy!!" or "you know I can't handle spice!" and they toned things down for him.

But Bridgette and Julia aren't babies so they're allowing much better recipes.

Milk Street Kitchen, Kimball's new show and magazine line, is as bland as the title, however. It's a direct rip of the ATK/CC shows and it shows. Stolen recipes, staff, and all.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ogarza posted:

can hot sauce be yellow? and not contain vinegar?

although, this would probably be good with some white vinegar, I always end up squeezing half a lime on whatever I eat with it.

Do you have a recipe for this? It looks awesome.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Picked up a bottle of Marie Sharp's original and the fiery. Fighting a cold right now but I'll give them a shot after.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I didn't find Melinda's to be that good, honestly. It was literally habanero with zero other flavors. I mean, Cholula habanero is much better.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Flaggy posted:

Was it good? E: 20 bucks for a bottle on Amazon.

If you like the ramen's sauce packet, you'll like that.

I've got many, many bags of Samyang's ramen and it's really good, has a kind of sweet flavor to it and it IS spicy. Enough to make it linger for a long time. The 2X sauce packet is no joke and it's just hot to be hot but the normal one (which is what the bottle is) is very good.

If they come out with a stew-type flavored bottle sauce, I highly recommend it if you like garlicky spicy sauce.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cook's Country / America's Test Kitchen's Dan Souza posted a video yesterday about lacto-fermented hot sauces and how to make your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpPWlJ_gXlg

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/9745-fresno-chile-carrot-hot-sauce

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

Made some more of my vaguely Trini mustard hot sauce:

I picked about 20 of the ripest peppers on my red savina habanero (now indoors for the winter):

Sliced the stems off and checked for interior mold, and then tossed in a blender with two heads of garlic:

Added two Kroger bunches of cilantro:

Then topped with a couple of pinches of kosher salt, maybe three tablespoons of yellow mustard, and a bit more than a cup of cider vinegar, and blended until smooth. I bottled about 16 ounces of it in a fliptop bottle:

This remains my favorite hot sauce recipe - it seems to be great on everything.

This sounds amazing. I might give this a try with some store-bought habaneros and maybe some carrot.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

I have the Oxo recommended here. It's... okay, I guess? Interestingly, ATK hated it. Their main complaint was having to reverse crank a lot to keep things moving, which is my experience as well (at least with skin-on tomatoes). I've never used any other food mill though, so I don't have much basis for comparison.

Those of you who make hot sauces, do you have any issues with lingering capsaicin on your food mills or blender carafes? I'd buy a second one just to be safe but apparently my blender's replacement parts are hard to come by.

Which one did ATK recommend? Weird since they usually love Oxo products.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Big Lots has their own line of hot sauce and the Carolina Reaper sauce is kind of loving crazy and I love it. It ACTUALLY has the chili pepper in it too, not just named Carolina Reaper and it's just a shitload of habanero or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I made my own hot sauce today!

I had some frozen habanero from last summer and they were still good so I added them to a pan (about 20+ or so, they were cut into thick rings with seeds and ribs attached) and about 10 Anahiems (also frozen), put olive oil on them and roasted for a little in the oven.

Meanwhile, I blended 2 fresh jalapenos (whole (no stem), with seeds + ribs) and apple cider vinegar up with a little sugar. It was okay but just wanted to use em up. I added a few small red, orange, and yellow snacking pepper things, a LOT of minced garlic, sugar, salt, black pepper, MSG, more apple cider vinegar, a can of San Marzano tomatoes + juice, and water then did the roasted habaneros and Anahiems in batches. Then added lime juice and shook it up in the large container.

After all that, I poured half in a bowl to freeze and the rest is hanging out in the fridge. It's VERY hot but the lime juice added more flavor than just "hot". I'm thinking of getting some mango juice or adding frozen mango or something next time I get a chance to go shopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I made my own hot sauce today!

I had some frozen habanero from last summer and they were still good so I added them to a pan (about 20+ or so, they were cut into thick rings with seeds and ribs attached) and about 10 Anahiems (also frozen), put olive oil on them and roasted for a little in the oven.

Meanwhile, I blended 2 fresh jalapenos (whole (no stem), with seeds + ribs) and apple cider vinegar up with a little sugar. It was okay but just wanted to use em up. I added a few small red, orange, and yellow snacking pepper things, a LOT of minced garlic, sugar, salt, black pepper, MSG, more apple cider vinegar, a can of San Marzano tomatoes + juice, and water then did the roasted habaneros and Anahiems in batches. Then added lime juice and shook it up in the large container.

After all that, I poured half in a bowl to freeze and the rest is hanging out in the fridge. It's VERY hot but the lime juice added more flavor than just "hot". I'm thinking of getting some mango juice or adding frozen mango or something next time I get a chance to go shopping.

I got some frozen mango and will be making a mango-habanero hot sauce once my current batch is over! I'm excited!