Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Fooley posted:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/condiments?productId=10025902

You'd have to be careful with pouring but it should be open enough that it wont be difficult. Maybe check Target/Wal Mart too.

I use similiar bottles for all my homemade hot sauces, I think I got mine at Publix. They work out great as they are like the same volume as the mason jars I use to store my sauce in. I use a funnel to fill mine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Just started a batch of peppers fermenting today, raw weight came out to just shy of 4lbs, thinking I might have gone a bit overboard. Oh well I can always give some way to family and friends. My last batch of fermented habanero sauce turned out really well.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So pretty sure I screwed something up on my batch of peppers. I went to check them last night and noticed they had a white substance covering the entire top. I scooped out everything I could, but this morning it was back, not as bad, but it was still back. Guess I am just going to toss that batch when I get home this afternoon.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I ended up tossing the first batch of fermented peppers that I posted about, just couldn't get all the white stuff out. My next batch I did just like my first batch (habaneros) which turned out perfect, this batch (jalapenos) also got a bit of the white funk but I was able to get it all scooped out. I processed the sauce and it just tasted awful, so I ended up pitching that as well.

I decided to just drop the fermenting process for a bit and go back to how I've been doing it for a while, just roast the peppers off on my grill, throw them in the blender with some white vinegar, water, and some spices and call it a day. Very happy with the results of yesterday, which is good cause I was down to just a bit left of my fermented habanero sauce. I used about 30 of each pepper (Anaheim, Habanero, and Jalapeno) about 3/4 cup of distilled white vinegar, 1 cup of water, a touch of garlic powder, pepper, red pepper flake, and some paprika. Yielded 2 jars each more or less.

I did also just get a food dehydrator as a gift so I am going to have some fun with that drying out peppers.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Suspect Bucket posted:

I like traffic lights. I like traffic lights.

Haha, I didn't even catch that.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Bob Morales posted:

Please tell me it is 'gently caress you' hot as well. I want a jar.

They have a nice kick to them, especially the habanero.

I don't take the seeds out or anything, just remove the stem and throw it in the blender.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Bob Morales posted:

I'm going to put a bit fat caution sticker on it.

I did this two years ago at my company Christmas party, was actually for spicy sausage dip though. I think my sign said "Warning: this is very hot, you may think you like hot, but think again, I'm Serious, you have been Warned!!"

It was hilarious cause the sign made it almost like a challenge, pretty much everyone had to step up, though many regretted it, but not all. One lady came up to me and asked if I liked Thai food, cause she said that dip was like Thai hot +10 .

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Poop Cupcake posted:

To reduce the risk of unwanted mold, I fill a zliplock bag with water and squish that down on top of the mash - lets the mash burp without letting in unwanted air.

Oh man.. thank you so much for that idea, that is a brilliant way to keep everything submerged. I've struggled with the few fermented batches I have tried to do because of this very issue.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
That looks really good.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
So I have two jars of peppers fermenting right now. One larger one of habaneros and a smaller one of fresh tabasco peppers from my garden. I am using the water bag method that was suggested a while back in the thread to keep everything submerged and it is working out great. Only issue is I don't seem to be seeing much in the way of bubbles yet and its been a bit over 2 weeks for each. Everything seems okay so I am just going to let them sit for at least another week.

In other hot sauce related items, I decided I was in the mood for some PB&J's last night but I realized I ddn't have any jelly, but I did have some fresh strawberries. So I made some jam, but I added 3 of the tabasco peppers to the mix. I was a bit unsure how it was going to come out while it was reducing down as it smelled a bit weird. After putting it in a jar to cool, I tasted it and it is very subtle heat. Nice and sweet, but not too sweet then you get a hint of heat afterwards which is nice. Would definitely make it again.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Geoff Zahn posted:

edit: Also, I want to try my hand at making my own hot sauce! Is there a recommended starter recipe, or should I just dive into making NosmoKing's recipe?

Recipe is a good place to start.. But the best part is just to experiment and see what you come up with and what you like.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I found my Halloween costume this year.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

pr0k posted:

Nope. Especially if I'm hungry I'll just put a few drops on my tongue.

Are you my neighbor? Because my neighbor wore that.

No, I ended up not actually using it this year.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

The Midniter posted:

Protip: use this as salad dressing.

That poo poo is the bee's knees.

I can't say this sauce in particular, but your favorite hot sauce as salad dressing is great.. Been doing this for years and the looks I get are hilarious

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Croatoan posted:

The classics never get any love. Texas Pete is pretty good on fried chicken y'all.

Texas Pete is great, if I run out of homemade stuff, it is my go to hot sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

angor posted:

Anyone tried the Xochitl salsas? I'm trying to make my way through this fucker and it's tearing my face off:

I just saw they have these at my local publix, just not the Habanero :( I do enjoy their tortilla chips though.