Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sriracha is an absolute must.

For Mexican hot sauces, I actually like Valentina the best, and it is hilariously cheap. Like, less than a dollar for a 20oz bottle here in Texas.

For Louisiana hot sauces, Crystal's is good, and so are a number of others, but honestly, the best that I have ever found is actually Schlotzky's. It's not quite as hot as I would like, but god drat the flavor and consistency are both PERFECT. I buy a new sauce to try at least once a week, and while many are great, I just keep coming back. It also helps that they sell it for like two bucks per bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Crazyeyes posted:

uhhh.... Isn't THAT sriracha?

Edit: Beaten

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup, way off.

It's a cleaner tasting Tabasco. Less sharp/pungent. A little sweeter. It tastes like ripe peppers blended with a good smooth vinegar pretty much.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So, this spring when I went to the garden center to pick up herbs and peppers to plant, I saw Ghost Pepper plants for $1.50. I pretty much went "Hahahahaha, why not? This will be funny!". Zero fruit for 6 months, and now all of a sudden, the plant exploded with flowers about a week ago, and now I have about 2 dozen baby ghost peppers that should be ripe in about 10 days, assuming we don't get a cold snap in Austin. I am generally a "sriracha is the perfect level of spice" kinda guy, so I am not sure what I should do with them...

1) Make hot sauce. Anyone have any ghost pepper recipes that they like?

2) Since I have taken so much pleasure over the years watching the misery of others, it may be time for me to do my own ghost pepper challenge video and post it

3) No clue

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Blend them into a puree, fold it into pastry cream and pipe it into small cream puff shells. Serve them to friends but let them know that there is a secret ingredient.

They are the chocolate colored ghost peppers... "Chocolate" mousse may need to happen...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Probably would be great. I'd recommend pairing it with habaneros as the source of heat, with a little carrot and onion as the filler.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Posted this in general questions, but no answer really.

I've just bottled some Louisiana style hot sauce I've had aging for two years now. I'm afraid some light got to it, which resulted in the color being not as bright red as I'd like - more of a brownish red like old Tapatio. The sauce tastes good, but it has a distinctly ketchupy smell to it that I wasn't expecting. I'm unsure if this is due to the light damage doing something to the pepper oils (kind of like skunking in beer), or if there was some sort of fermentation that happened, or if it was because I used a different variety of peppers than I normally do. Does anyone have any thoughts? The recipe was a mixture of red jalapenos, thai bird chiles, fresno chiles, and tobasco chiles, rough chopped and boiled in salty vinegar for 5 minutes or so, then put into the jar and forgotten about until now.

Red jalapenos have always been really sweet, with a faint ketchupy taste to me. Fresnos are also definitely sweet. Without something else distinctive to overpower them (garlic, fish sauce, shrimp paste, juice, w/e) red jalapenos, fresnos and vinegar seem like they would definitely be the ketchupy culprit to me.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So, planted a ghost pepper plant about 6 months ago, and it was a very late bloomer. Started fruiting about a month ago, and that's about how long it took for them to ripen. So... I took 4 of these beauties:

And turned them into this beauty:

It's amazing. It's fruity, bright, smokey, and drat hot. It's actually not overwhelming though. It's definitely got kick to it, but it's a very warm, distributed heat that picks up gradually. By the end of the meal my scalp and forehead were sweating, but I wasn't actually in pain. It's really loving good, and I will be planting more than one plant next year, since it looks like those 4 peppers were the full yield I am going to get before the first freeze.

Very simple recipe:
4 Ghost peppers w/ seeds
3 Small roasted red bell peppers
1 Medium pickled carrot (from a bottle of my homemade pickled jalapenos/serranos)
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup champagne vinegar
1/4 cup water
1Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp granulated garlic

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 1, 2015

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

wormil posted:

I'm going to save this recipe. It's blended, not cooked or anything?

Definitely cooked a bit. Brought it up to a low simmer in a heavily covered pot (still managed to gas the house a bit). I let it simmer for about 10 minutes just to soften everything up, then turned it off and let it cool down to room temp with the lid on, then blended. Raw will definitely affect the finished texture. Won't be nearly as smooth.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Staple hot sauces you didn't mention from the grocery store:

Crystal blue top (mostly flavor, not much heat), or red top (decent heat level)
Valentina orange label (mostly flavor, basically no heat), Valentina black label (decent heat level)
Yucateca, all varieties are pretty good, with a simple heat scale on label

Others:
Schlotzky's - Go to a Schlotzky's and buy a bottle of sauce. It's like $2, and has amazing flavor, very vinegar and pepper forward, virtually no heat though.
Go to an Asian market and look for Ning Chi Super Hot Premium Fresh Chili oil. Very hot, with amazing flavor that actually goes with pretty much anything.

Edit: I am NOT a crazy macho death sauce guy, but I find a lot of sauces that have great flavor, but not enough heat. I bought a bottle of flavorless capcaicin extract a few years back, and I'll put a few drops into a bottle of sauce that I want to heat up, and I get the best of both worlds.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 23, 2016

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'm in Austin, and the last one I got was from HEB about 6 months ago. Will have a look specifically the next time I go to the store to see if they've still got it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'd say that they probably won't harm you. The flavor will have changed over time, so a 2010 vintage will not taste the same as a fresh version of the same sauce.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup. It's called the "colon".

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It's weirding me out that the bottle is laying down, not standing up. I don't know why that bothers me.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
A semi-liquid casserole is a much more efficient delivery mechanism. For burgers, chewing it up only actually exposes a small portion of the mass to direct contact with your tongue.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Never used that specific jar type before, but the main question is what temp is the area where you have your peppers? What % salt did you use?

Also, I could actually see with the airlock system, your peppers may just not have gotten enough ambient inoculation, and you may actually want to take the airlock off for a few hours then put it back on to give the brine a chance to pick up more of the good airborne yeast.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Speaking of ghost peppers...

Have about 16 full-sized ghost peppers across 3 plants so far. 4 of them should be ready to pick in the next day or two. My entire crop got wrecked last year, so I am in very short supply of my homemade sauce. Time to restock!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Marie Sharp's sauces are all amazing. This one is the most "pure habanero flavor" one that I have tried.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Ignore the annoying branding, but this is pure unflavored capsaicin. It's expensive, but will last you basically forever. I use this to fine tune heat when I have gotten the flavor profile of what I am making to where I want. Sounds exactly like what you want.

http://www.hotsauce.com/Pure-Evil-Capsaicin-Drops-p/hsc-pure-evil-drops.htm

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup! They know their idiot target audience.

I loving love the stuff though in very small doses. Put a single drop in a full bottle of Crystal, and it's still the best flavor of any Louisiana pepper sauce, but actually has a tingle of heat. Two is about right. Three is legit hot sauce.

Julio's fresh Salsa is the best tasting store bought salsa I have ever had, but even the "HOT" literally doesn't even tingle. 3 drops of Pure Evil, and it's salsa nirvana that will make your scalp sweat.

It's BEST use for me though is chili. My fiance likes a little spice, I like a lot. I can make a batch that is perfect for her, then just toss a single drop into my bowl and it's perfect for me.

Edit: I used to use "Pure Cap" and extolled it's virtues here too, but it definitely had the cap extract taste, and had a habit of sticking with the oil in a dish and rising to the surface so you got an uneven heat. This stuff has zero flavor and mixes in perfectly.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
These ghost peppers:

Got turned into these bottles of hot sauce.

Ghost peppers with all seeds removed, roasted red bell pepper, onion, garlic, carrot, cider vinegar, white vinegar, salt.

After about 2 weeks of mellowing, it's loving excellent. Flavor is great, but not overpowering, not too much vinegar, so it matches well with a TON of stuff. The way the heat comes on is really cool. It hits almost instantly, and it is intense but not painful. It just stays exactly the same level of spicy for like 60 seconds, then starts to fade. My goal here was a good general purpose sauce, and I am very pleased with it.

Since making those bottles though, I've harvested 7 more ghost peppers, so am looking to make another batch or two of more specialized sauces. Something sweet and fruity maybe, then something dark and savory?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Nah, I was plugging Pure Evil. It's an additive, not a direct sauce. You use a few drops of it to add heat without flavor.

But yeah, do NOT let it touch you.

Jmcrofts posted:

Looks fantastic! If you're looking for something darker maybe try roasting peppers on the grill to get some roasty toasty smoke flavor

Indeed. Will probably go the smokey route for the darker sauce. Maybe smoke my own jalapenos to make chipotles, then do a chipotle ghost pepper, cumin, garlic or something that would go well on tacos.

Probably then a pineapple, or peach, or papaya, really bright fruity sauce, that will also go well on tacos.

These choices may change, because apparently I am just craving tacos right now.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 15, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup.Roughly:

Boil carrots, onion and garlic with as little water as you dare. I went lid on boiling, with only enough water to about 3/4 cover the veggies.

Once the carrots are tender, add the chopped red bell peppers, and the finely sliced ghost peppers, then add vinegar (cider to white is your call) to just barely cover everything. Boil lid on unless you want to mace your house.

Once the peppers are completely tender, turn off heat and let cool for a few minutes, then stick blender it to hell. You want the sauce to still be hot, but not hot enough that the blender aerosolizes it.

Salt to taste.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Dunno if something I added naturally has helped out, but this recipe is pretty much identical to the batch I did 2 years ago, and over that 2 years, the only color change was a VERY slight loss of brightness.

I have given away about half of the bottles already though since there is no way I'll go through even close to 12 bottles before next year. Add on that I'l be making another 12 or so soon, and yeah... Gifts galore!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yowsa. Yeah, not having any carrots/onions/fruit/milder peppers to even it out is gonna make for a very strong sauce. Aging should help though. Let us know how it turns out.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So my last ghost pepper harvest of the year is about to come in. I should have 8 more by the end of next week. I'm looking for ideas of what to do with them.

I've already made a pretty straight forward roasted red pepper, carrot, garlic, onion, cider vinegar general purpose sauce that is awesome, but wanna go a little different for the next batch(es). I'm trying to balance "out there" flavors with being able to pair it with a lot of stuff. Coffee/blueberry sounds neat, but I'm not imagining that it will be a great match with most of the stuff I cook.

I'm open to splitting the 8 into 2 smaller batches, since the last 9 made 12 bottles that were all pretty darn hot, even with all of the seeds and veins removed. The only thing that I'm leaning towards right now is a garlic/mango/(blood)orange that would go well on a bunch of stuff.

Any thoughts goons?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The VAST majority of "jalapenos" sold now are the TAM variety, which is actually a cross-breed with green bell pepper, and is quite mild. They're the really big one.

If you're growing your own jalapenos and the seeds don't say that they are TAM, then they are likely REAL jalapenos, and actually quite spicy. They'll be like half the size of a TAM.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Got a link to it? I'm not seeing it in the recent videos on the ATK channel.

Also, holy poo poo, 10-20 bird chiles for 1/2 cup oil. That's gonna be... Spicier than I would have expected for ATK...

Edit: Found the article about it, but cannot view it without signing up. Their sign up flow appears to be broken because it says email is invalid, always, no matter the email put in...

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 21, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ben Nevis posted:

That really depends on where those 4 quarts of water go.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I just assume it's for boiling the noodles.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
drat, those look great. I may make those this weekend.

As far as the chiles go, what they use in the video are not what I think of when I think of bird chiles. I think the tiny little thai chiles that pack quite a lot of heat. They use the medium-sized, dried red chiles you see in Chinese food that are not NEARLY as hot. 10-20 of THOSE, I can believe would be totally palatable.

The internet also seems to be confused what to call them.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

The Midniter posted:

Link here. I think the water is just for boiling the noodles, added them to the list by mistake.

Thanks for the link. Made these today. Added some smoked garlic shitakes for a little more umami and some meatiness. Freaking great.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Nah, just Melinda's AFAIK.

"The company is privately owned by Marie Sharp, who began locally selling sauces on her 400-acre farm outside Dangriga in 1981.[5] In 1985 a factory was built to meet growing demand, also serving as a popular tourist destination.[6] The product was the first commercially successful agricultural product manufactured in and exported from Belize, under the name of "Melinda’s Hot Sauce". Once the market for the product had been established, the distributor who was marketing the sauce trademarked the product name, effectively cutting Sharp out of her own business.[7] After a five-year struggle, Sharp gave up the name to Melinda's in exchange for being released from her exclusive contract with the distributor and re-branded the product under her own name."

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Shrapnig posted:

How bad is Da Bomb really? I’ve never tried it but I do have a bottle of Blair’s Ultra Death with Jersey Fury or something like that and it’s hotter than gently caress but not unpleasant. I wouldn’t slather wings in it but it still tastes good and is hot as gently caress in small doses.

Everyone on Hot Ones seems to react worse to Da Bomb than the other allegedly hotter sauces after it. I haven’t tried the Last Dab either so I can’t compare on that end. Is it just the extract making it really awful?

mischief posted:

I've got one of the Last Dabs and the Chocolate Plague and neither one is violently hot in my opinion.
All the extract sauces just have no flavor. They taste a lot like pepper spray.

It seems like as Hot Ones goes on celebrities kind of self coach the drama.

I had a bottle of Da Bomb, the OG Last Dab and then the Last Dab redux. Da Bomb is definitely hotter, but tastes terrible. Like, burning tires smell. I'm pretty sure they put it there in the lineup to get guests into the "holy poo poo this hurts I'll either be entertainingly in pain or answer anything honestly or both!" and then the next sauces are there to just keep that rolling.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Speaking of which, coworker gave me a zip loc of what she says are tobasco peppers. Ideas?

Make a hot sauce out of tabasco peppers that doesn't taste like poo poo.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

uber_stoat posted:

I've had very little luck myself. as far as I can tell where I am it is literally too hot for the plants to bear fruit. 90+ degrees in October. roll on climate apocalypse!

I’ve had terrible luck this year in Texas, but I thought all of the super hots loved high temps. The instructions on my ghost pepper seeds said they won’t even germinate below 85.

I just assumed I wasn’t giving the enough water. They languished as small plants for months then had a massive growth spurt after a crazy storm, but then have stayed the same and not fruited even though I run the drip irrigation 5 times a week.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Atticus_1354 posted:

Are you growing in raised beds or pots with amendments in the soil? Could be a fertilizer issue.

Directly in the ground. We mixed in fresh top soil and 2 big bags of compost before planting, and have done a dose of liquid fish every 6 weeks since we planted in April. Tomatoes, strawberries, basil all did great right next to the peppers.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

mischief posted:

Heat here in NC is only helping me.

I’m on mobile right now and the color of the plate/chocolate peppers caused my brain to think that was a plate of stewed beef or something, absolutely covered in raw reapers/ghosts. I was like “holy poo poo, dude is hardcore!”

Those look great though, enjoy.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I am just north of luke warm on Paul Rudd, but that is easily top 3 episodes of Hot Ones ever.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Nick Offerman on Hot Ones. This is not a drill! I repeat, Nick Offerman on Hot Ones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

COOL CORN posted:

Can you really be a hot sauce if you don't mention "satan" OR "buttholes"???

Pretty sure it’s in the FDA labeling guidelines. If you don’t, you can’t call it hot sauce. Has to be called “liquified pepper product” I think.