Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Quiet Feet posted:

My 5-year-old daughter has been taking an interest in the shelf of hot sauces she sees me using all the time and I've been giving her a little dab here and there. Not that I used a ton but she no-sold this today on her veggies at lunch.

Sounds like your daughter knows that Melinda’s is the lovely former “distributor” that hosed over a small Belizean farmer, stole all of her recipes and told her to get hosed.

Please buy Marie Sharp’s. It’s the real brand after she got back on her feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

mischief posted:

Crystal on some really nicely fried chicken is peak hot sauce experience.

Absolutely. I used to be able to find the Crystal extra hot, which had actual recognizable heat. The normal Crystal is just all flavor no heat. I still love it, but drat do I miss the hot.

I finally got around to buying a bottle of the Yellow Bird ghost pepper. It’s got a really nice strong, smoky ghost flavor but the heat is maybe one notch above sriracha. The heat also doesn’t act like any of the other super hots I’ve tried. Instead of the inexorably building heat I’m used to, all of the heat hits almost immediately, but disappears completely in seconds. I like it, but not sure I’d get it again.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Edit: double post.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

thotsky posted:

Do people have good suggestions for smoked chili sauces or chili sauces made with smoked peppers? I love chipotle sauces, but it's hard to find ones that are not too sweet or taste like a cuminy blended taco. I love the Chipotle Tabasco, something like that with more heat would be great.

The best chipotle sauce in the history of the world was made by me, and you can make it too. Just take a couple of cans of good chipotles en adobo, and blend them up with however much cider vinegar you need to thin it out. Blend it for way longer than you think you need, otherwise you'll get seeds clogging your bottle. Or you could be fancy and strain it.

San Marcos is the best brand I have found by a pretty decent margin, followed by Goya. They are the least sweet. Many brands are way too sweet, so look at the nutrition facts for sugar content.

The adobo sauce has just enough other seasonings to provide depth, without outshining the chipotles. No cumin bombs.

It lasts forever in the fridge since it's plenty acidic. I 100% always have a squeeze bottle of it ready to go. I like it fairly thick so it doesn't run off of stuff, but if you want it thinner, just add a little more cider vinegar/water. If you want it hotter, just add a few drops of whatever stunt Dave's hot sauce or the like, that you can find.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Huy Fong Sriracha has basically hit the Heinz Ketchup point. Even though sriracha is not a proprietary type of sauce, Huy Fong is just what we expect sriracha to taste like.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's an on off thing for me. Can go months without using it, then suddenly I put it on everything.

Not an emptyquote.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

ExiledTinkerer posted:

https://thekenyancafe.com/ Very Tasty with Heat being a distance second concern. Honestly my new likely staple so long as the sole local butcher shop keeps inexplicably stocking it and the drought of Piri Piri sauces continues yet again.

Anybody got any contemporary feels for whether Bravado Spice Co's Black Garlic Carolina Reaper and/or Ancho Masala Scorpion Reaper are actually worthwhile for their taste and character or do they ultimately just devolve to Heat Gimmickry?

I have a bottle of the black garlic and really like it. It IS very hot, but it also has a ton of flavor. Definitely not just a stunt sauce if that is what you are worried about.

I hadn’t seen the other one you mentioned, and I would love a sauce with a pretty generic Indian masala flavor, but ancho is not the flavor I’m looking for with it. Hmmm.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Our restaurant’s popcorn seasoning base was 4:2:1 salt:sugar:msg. Blend/grind that together with whatever else you want. The sky’s the limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Annath posted:

So, my homemade hot sauce was a huge hit at work. Enough so that people are asking me to make more, and offering to pay for it.

I'm not looking to turn a profit, so I'll just charge enough to cover the cost of the materials.

With that in mind, does anyone know where I could get a bulk order of peppers? I used Hatch peppers this time, but anything around that level of spiciness would probably work.

I was able to get a good deal from Wegmans because they were doing a big Roasted Hatch Chilies event, but I'm not sure if I could get that bulk price now that the event is over.

What state are you in? New Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona still have a ton of roadside stands roasting Hatch and Pueblo chilis. I’d bet Texas has fewer, but some near major cities.