Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I love Cholua, but it's freaking expensive, so Valentina is a good compromise.

Tapatio is pretty good too.

I've also had this Rhino Peri-Peri sauce that's absolutely fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is Cholua any cheaper if bought in bulk? I ask because it's my favorite sauce, but at $5 or so for a small bottle, it's absurdly expensive.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I made my own sauce from home grown Thai chillies and habaneros.

Chopped them up fresh with just a little onion and garlic, put them in the food processor until they liquefied, and put them in a jar in the fridge with plenty of vinegar and some salt.

Left em there for 2 months, strained them, bottled it, and it wasn't half bad. Pretty drat good considering I didn't follow a recipe and just used poo poo I already had.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Is it El Yucateco that gets its delicious flavor from a delicate touch of lead particles in its secretive cavern bottling plant in darkest Mehico?

Also I'm seriously considering buying a gallon of Cholua next paycheck...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Croatoan posted:

I know a guy who's son makes ramen and throws in some peanut butter and sriracha to make a ghetto pad thai. TBH I kinda want to try it.

Back to hot sauces, I finally got around to trying Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce and holy gently caress that burned my tongue for like 10 minutes. That's from taking a few drops on my tongue. On a sandwich it was great but god drat that poo poo was too much for me on it's own. :supaburn:

Edit: I should clarify, I love Dave's Total Insanity Sauce and don't have a problem taking a few drops straight up.

A friend bought me a bottle of Dave's Ultimate Insanity sauce because he knows I like hot sauce.

Thing is, I normally enjoy sauces such as Cholua, Tabasco, and Tapatio. I have no experience with the super ridiculous hot sauces, except occasionally putting some in big batches of chilli.

On another note, I am growing 5 Tabasco pepper plants this summer. I'm planning on making hot sauce, and I would welcome instructions or techniques from experienced Sauciers.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Not really a hot sauce, but I love me some Pickapeppa sauce.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Tabasco Chipotle is thicker than regular Tabasco, for one thing.

I actually prefer it over Cholua Chipotle, although I prefer Cholua regular and Cholua Chili-Garlic over most any other sauces.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I absolutely love garlic based sauces. How hot would you say that Vampire Slayer sauce is? Are we talking ghost peppers, or just Habanero?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Hey goons I put some peppers in a blender with garlic, salt, onion, and vinegar. Can I keep the mash in the pantry without killing myself, or should it go in the fridge? And how long should I let it sit before straining it (if I choose to do so)?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

taqueso posted:

If you can get the pH down to 3.8 or lower, it will keep outside the fridge because bacteria won't be able to survive.

What's a good way to measure pH? I'm assuming some sort of food grade test strips, but I wouldn't know where to find them.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Why would you call Cholua an "alternative to Frank's"? They're nothing at all alike (to me anyway)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Chipotle Tabasco is the premier Chipotle sauce.
Chili-garlic Cholua is the superior garlicky sauce.
Pickapeppa is the best not hot sauce.
Not sure what my favorite "just hot sauce" sauce is tho.

E: it's a recurring joke in my family that there is probably lead in El Yucateco but no one cares because it's so good.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm growing some Tabasco and Cayennetta peppers this year, hoping to get enough to make a small batch of hot sauce.

How would I go about making a sauce like Tabasco brand stuff? I thought I recalled it being fermented, but it's got vinegar in it which I assume would prevent fermentation?

Any thoughts?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

mariooncrack posted:

There's a few ways to do it but this is one way:

Ferment the peppers first. Once they're fermented strain out the peppers from the liquid. Put peppers in the blender. Add some vinegar and some of the fermenting water in and blend it.

Interesting.

Last time I made hot sauce, I fermented roughly chopped peppers (and mango and garlic), but this time I was considering doing a mash.

Apparently what Tabasco does is mash fresh peppers and mix with salt, and then barrels the mixture to age for 3 years before straining, mixing with vinegar, and bottling.

So kind of a fermentation I'd guess, but with no added water?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I wasn't planning on doing garlic this year. I'm hoping to get enough peppers between the two plants to blend them together. The Cayennetta apparently have an excellent flavor with very mild heat, while the Tabasco have a nice little kick. I'm not into the crazy hot reapers and such.

How should I prepare the peppers for fermentation? Like I said, last year I was basically quartering them, although I was using Habenero peppers which are bulkier than the ones I'm using this year.

I was kind of hoping to emulate Tabasco's process since you can get little barrels for making sauerkraut and it seems like they wouldn't have/need an airlock. Ideally I'd like to stick it in the basement for a few years and forget about it for a while.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
My plants are still very small... I'm hoping they grow big enough for a good crop before summer is over, but if not I guess I'll try to keep them indoors until next spring.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Missing Name posted:

I previously suggested people try Hank Sauce's Cilanktro for pork and fish.

Well, now I recommend their Honey Habanero sauce. It's a tad sweet, excellent pepper flavor but also not knock your socks off spicy. I totally see myself using a whole bottle on a plate of wings in the near future.

Oh, their stuff is great! I met the guys who make it at the Atlantic City Beer Festival a few years ago, and I picked up a few bottles of their stuff. It's excellent, and not too hot so my family enjoys it too.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Just bought some pepper plants. Assuming they grow, what are some neat recipes these types might be good for?

Tabasco

Shishito

Thai Super Hot

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

Ferment the Tabasco and turn it into vinegar sauce.

Eat all the shishitos by either pan frying or quick grilling.

Make lots of Thai Super Hot curry and stir fry dishes all summer, then dry the rest and use them all winter in stir fry dishes. These can also be pickled and used like that too.

Excellent ideas!

Any recipes for how to use the Thai peppers for curry? I've made fermented hot sauce before, but I usually just buy Golden Curry roux blocks lol.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So its been years since I made my previous batch of fermented chilis. I'm looking to buy about 4lbs of jalapenos, and I'm wondering what size jar/bucket I'll need.

Would 1 gallon work? Or a 2 gallon bucket? Trying to figure out which is most cost effective.

Can I use tap water, or should I used distilled or spring water?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Soul Dentist posted:

Your tap water almost certainly has chlorine in it. Check with your supplier to see if it's chlorine or chloramine. If it's the former, you can boil it off or even let it evaporate. If it's chloraminated it'll stay in the water no matter what. Either kill bacteria of all nature

Welp, RIP. I just used the small batch of my homegrown peppers and onions to make a small (1 jar) batch of mash and 4% brine.

My city uses Chloramine :downs:

Luckily I haven't bought the peppers for my big batch, so I'll use distilled water I guess.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

4% is a lot of salt anyway and will make fermentation on the slow side. It will probably still work just fine. But if it tastes like band-aids later then you'll know it was the chloramine. I've definitely forgotten to use boiled or de-chlorinated water (with sodium metabisulfite or potassium metabisulfite) and it's turned out fine in saurkraut and other ferments. Is it ideal, of course not, but don't give up hope until it doesn't actually work.

Hmmm... what I read said 2%-8% so I figured 4% was a happy medium :shrug:.

I'll let it sit and see what happens. When the big batch of peppers arrives I'll use less salt and distilled water, see what happens.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

I'm sure the 8% brine users will also talk like "kahm yeast" is a thing when it's just the yeast/bacteria that are doing the fermenting in your jar. Going up to 8% is expecting the lactic acid bacteria to do their job like putting a human in a 120 degree room and expecting them to do a job. It might get done, but nothing will be happy and it might not finish. 2%-4% is plenty, and even going to 5% you start seeing a drop in activity.

Gotcha. I'll do like 3% for the big batch then.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I have some pickling salt from making pickles, so I'll just use that with some spring water.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Lmao the Wegmans near me is having a Hatch Chili Roasting Event, so I bought 23lbs of (raw) "extra hot" Hatch Chilies for $40, which comes out to like $0.57/lb.

Gonna make a big batch of fermented mash, and vacuum seal and freeze the rest.

Other than garlic, and fun extras I could add?

E: also, I've read that green pepper-based sauces sometimes turn brown over time - is there a way to avoid that?

Last time I used yellow and orange habaneros, garlic, and mango, and the sauce remained a bright yellow-orange until it was all used up. I preserved the leftover mash (properly canned) and the jars I have left unopened are still brightly colored 3 years on.

Annath fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 2, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Soul Dentist posted:

Uh...

Anyways, some acid will prevent oxidization. Lime juice is tasty or your favorite vinegar.

What, it's literally 10% of the cost of the fresh peppers I found online.

Would the lactic acid from fermentation be enough to prevent the oxidization, or should I add some lime or vinegar when bottling the sauce?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

I normally add bottled citrus juice or vinegar. Or if I just want the color preservation I add citric acid. Fermentation will often change the color by itself.

You could also hot water can a bunch of the mash if you have the kit and jars free. I'd probably go this way myself, I like to leave hatch mash chunky and wetter and the freezer tends to take away the texture of it.

I don't have the stuff kit or jars anymore (kit got lost in a move, jars are currently filled with previous batch of mash), but I'll buy some more and do another batch of jarred mash.

My plan was to basically puree the peppers, garlic, and onions, then mix with 3% salt solution and let it ferment.

Then I'd take the mash and squeeze it in cheesecloth, mix the liquid with a small (tiny) amount of xanthan gum to prevent separation, and bottle it.

The mash gets re-hydrated with bit of brine, and jarred separately via hot water process.

That's what I did with my previous sauce (habanero, garlic, and mango, although that was chunks of peppers during fermentation not a puree, pureed afterwards) and it worked great.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Soul Dentist posted:

Your math is wrong and it's $1.74/raw lb if you spent $40 on 23lbs

:doh:

Still a really good price though

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I wonder if cilantro would go good with the other ingredients.

I had a really good sauce with cilantro and I'm wondering if I could do something similar.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
How does this kind of airlock work?

It's different than the kind that came with my last fermentation jar, and it didn't have any instructions.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

The line on the outside container is where you fill the water. The gas pushes up through the center and down through the water in the notches in the bell portion in the middle. It will float up and drop down as the pressure moves out.

Gotcha, thanks.

The one I had before was a curvy twisty tube that you had to fill, turn upside down, then fill a bit more.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuhgHzuPYiI

E:

Gonna need more jars

(wine bottle for scale)

Annath fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 4, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
AFAIK, dried will work fine mixed into the mash.

How's your vacuum bag gonna work? Do your bags have one-way valves?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Lol I woke up this morning and the air lock on my jar was like stuck at the top and some brine had seeped out around the seal (I put in more mash after my first pic).

I filled the air lock to the fill line, but it feels like maybe it had too much water to vent properly?

I really preferred the kind with no moving parts... this other kind seems unnecessarily complicated.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Jhet posted:

That shouldn’t happen unless you have something plugging the tube. So if the mash is floating into the tube it would cause trouble regardless of 3-piece or S airlock.

There was no mash in the tube, the little floating cup thing was just sitting at the top of the lock with the top touching the cap of the airlock. Should I take the cap off the lock?

I can take a picture when I get home from work.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I poured out a bit of water from the lock, so we'll see if that fixes it.

Also, check out these bubbles!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm currently at work, but when I get home I can check one of my bottles of Cholula Chili-Garlic...

Oh wait, I have a pic right here...

Looks like 170mg per Tsp.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ghost Cactus posted:

That pic is making me want eggs and rice.

170mg is about 1/4 to 1/5 of the sodium they can have in a day, unfortunately.

Awesome! I’ll order some.

RIP. Hopefully that other sauce is serviceable.

Cholula makes my favorite general hot sauce, followed by Valentina. They also make my favorite garlic hot sauce (obviously).

Tabasco makes my favorite Chipotle sauce though, even though I don't like their regular sauce.

I don't really like most green sauces, hopefully my homemade sauce changes that.

There's also pepper-adjacent sauces like Pickappa Sauce, which is incredible on meat.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ghost Cactus posted:

Pickapeppa looks like it could work. Thank you!

I really like it, but be aware it's very different from other "hot sauces". It has a much more complex and savory flavor. Check out the ingredients for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

mariooncrack posted:

The cayennes would be good for a homemade Tabasco sauce.

I thought Tabasco used Tabasco peppers.