Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I think my pepper mash is done fermenting. It no longer making visible bubbles, and the mash isn't expanding from the bubbles like it was before (it caused it to overflow the airlock at one point).

So, this weekend I'll be straining the mash through cheesecloth, pureeing the mash, then adding back some brine. Maybe some lime juice as well.

You gotta use a little (very little, like a quarter teaspoon) Xanthan Gum, to keep it from separating.

E: suggestions for bottles? I'm thinking a bottle with an opening like Texas Pete or Cholula would work best - small/narrow, to prevent it all dumping out, but not as narrow as those bottles with the little plastic dripper inserts since the sauce will be a bit too thick for that.

Annath fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Ordered some bottles.

In the meantime, I had enough for 2 batches - one with lime, and one without. :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I blended peppers, onion, and garlic all together before fermenting for mine.

The garlic is very forward, which I love.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, my homemade hot sauce was a huge hit at work. Enough so that people are asking me to make more, and offering to pay for it.

I'm not looking to turn a profit, so I'll just charge enough to cover the cost of the materials.

With that in mind, does anyone know where I could get a bulk order of peppers? I used Hatch peppers this time, but anything around that level of spiciness would probably work.

I was able to get a good deal from Wegmans because they were doing a big Roasted Hatch Chilies event, but I'm not sure if I could get that bulk price now that the event is over.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm in Virginia unfortunately.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
drat.

Wegmans usually carries jalapeños year round, I guess I can ask if they will order a crate for me.

They've done an order of chorizo for me when they didn't have the kind I wanted, albeit that wasn't a bulk order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I just spoke with Wegmans, and they can only order the Hatch peppers in February for delivery in August/September unfortunately.

They did say Anaheim were available year round and they could order me some, but they are significantly more expensive - $20 per 5lb box (the hatch were $40 per 23lb box).