Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
Made from the HP22-B Carolina Reaper, currently the hottest pepper in the world. It's loving amazing and produces a very real endorphin rush.

Also, the Carolina Reaper looks like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

BLARGHLE posted:

That is a weird rear end looking pepper

It looks like satan's colon polyp.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

Scorpion is already out?

Does this pepper taste sweetish like the scorpion or is it smokey like the ghost?

It's definitely sweet. It's a really thick sweetness, too. Sort of like fruit as opposed to the singularly simple sweetness of honey. Also, the interior of the pepper is quite oily.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

kaujot posted:

I don't understand how people taste anything other than heat when eating super hot peppers. Maybe my taste buds just suck.

There's a right and wrong way to use just about anything. You might try adding a superhot sauce to something like a soup, where it will become highly diluted. Just increase the dosage each time, and before long, you'll be taking 1mil scoville+ dosages like a champ.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

If you've never tried Trinidad Scorpion peppers, you owe it to yourself.

It's incredible.

I'm not really the biggest fan of Dave's Gourmet though. They tend to use a lot of extracts, which to me feels like cheating. I'd much rather enjoy the natural heat and flavor of the peppers themselves, instead of a blisteringly hot, manufactured heat.

El Marrow fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 28, 2014

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Melinda's Naga Jolokia

It's brilliantly flavorful, and made completely without extracts. It's not the hottest thing in the world (compared to other sauces made with superhots), but what it lacks in obscene heat, it makes up for with vibrant jolokia flavor.

(Not trying to turn the thread into a [super]hot sauce discussion. They're just my forte)

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

I learned to like the super sauces by constantly chasing a dragon for endorphin highs. I have a slight problem with it now, I will seek out spicy foods or foods I can sauce up if I go a few days without any. For reference, I can smother something with half a bottle of habanero sauce and be unphased (given habaneros are quite weak and will overpower the food) Sauces with extract really really suck, they taste like lovely oil.

I'm a fan of Tropical Pepper Co's Ghost Pepper sauce as my day to day, a drop a bite is enough to get little bit of a burn to satisfy myself while still being able to taste the food.

You know you're bad off when you start viewing certain foods as platforms for an endorphin rush. I love it.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Crazyeyes posted:

Not exactly hot sauce related but I have been growing some habaneros and Scotch Bonnets in my garden and they have been approaching ripeness. I have discovered that eating habaneros right off the plant are quite tasty. I need to figure out how to make sauce or pickle them or something.

Oh man. Scotch Bonnets are fantastic. Whole slices cooked into Jamaican curry...

I just ordered a few superhot sauces. Will post pics when they arrive.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

The Melinda's Moruga Scorpion sauce is simply amazing. No extracts. No bullshit. Just the essentials. It's probably the purest superhot sauce I've tried.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

All food degrades, and it degrades slower at lower temperatures. It's pretty worth refrigerating.

I've found that the flavor can actually change in a positive way as it ages without cooling.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

indoflaven posted:

I've found most lose their heat, but deepen in flavor when not refrigerated.

Precisely

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Pioneer42 posted:

This is normally posted in every GWS hot sauce thread, but hasn't been seen in this one yet:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Mango_Habanero_Hot_Sauce

All credit goes to NosmoKing. This is a good (and easy) recipe that was posted here a few years ago. It's a great start to learning to make and customize your own hot sauces.

Maybe one should be made with a scorpion or ghost.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Cilanktro Hank Sauce is my goto. It's a small restaurant/hot sauce company in New Jersey that makes absolutely killer sauces. They're not particularly spicy, just super flavorful.

http://www.hanksauce.com/

I usually have a bottle of the Cilanktro in my fridge. It's great on just about anything.

The only one I wasn't really into was the herb-infused sauce which was made with basil. But the rest are pretty fantastic.

I was just about to buy a bottle until they tried to charge me $6 shipping on a $6 bottle of sauce :/

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

After a month of experimentation, I've come to the conclusion that the Carolina Reaper is a foul piece of poo poo that's only hot for the sake of being hot. Needless to say, this a disappointing truth.

I simply can't find anything that pairs well with it, and I've tried the Sling Blade on just about everything I eat.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

CommonShore posted:

If a hot sauce doesn't go well on chicken in some form, that's saying something. I'm pretty sure that chickens evolved to pair well with hot sauce as a way of discouraging predators with sensitive palates. Chickens are so stupid.

You're too right. Living in Atlanta, I get to try all sorts of foreign foods, and the entire experience has completely reinforced the idea that in every culture, chicken pairs with hot sauce. Don't get me wrong. It's ~ok~ on chicken, but it's just a highly disappointing pepper.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

KuroMayuri posted:

We made our own hot sauce from habaneros we grew ourselves!

I then tried to put it into a non-heat-proof glass jar...

All of those home grown peppers mixed with shattered glass... That's a bummer.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Hear me now, bredren. I and I pon di Scotch Bonnet ting.

Jamaican heat fi send a duppyman to Jah.

In all actuality, it's not really that hot, but Scotch Bonnets have a truly amazing flavor that makes a great curry dish or marinade.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

i got tired of paying too much for the habanero sauces i'm addicted to. i have no idea what i'm doing. updates to come, after I go and get rubber gloves

I can't wait to see how this pans out.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Salsa McManus posted:

Okay! Got myself a bottle from a local hot sauce place, Scotty O'Hotty. It's their limited edition Reaper de Muerte carolina reaper sauce with some moonshine thrown in for good measure, I guess. For being made with carolina reapers it isn't too hot, the burn on this stuff is pretty slow and gradually builds up, but it never gets to extremely high heat levels. Flavor is pretty good, it tastes very similar to their ghost pepper sauce but a little sweeter. I'm still pretty poo poo at judging pepper flavors so I can't comment too strongly on that. I've had most of their other flavors and these dude's seem to really focus more on taste over heat and LOVE to make their sauces with alcohol.

Does it contain any extracts?

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Accidentally macing yourself is just the price you pay to enjoy spicy foods.

Totally worth it.

Ah yes. I remember taking half of a bottle of Melinda's Naga Jolokia to the widely opened eye as I was shaking it and the cap broke off.

I nearly got someone to drive me to the ER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Loutre posted:

I use so much hot sauce/handle enough peppers that I end up with Wing Wang at least once a month. I think I'm probably desensitizing my dick, would not recommend. I just forget because I'm so used to it in my hands at this point.

Why would anyone ever need any sort of endurance lubricant? Just use years of topical capsaicin!