Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I finally read this entire thread and all I have to say is Secret Aardvark is really bad. Tastes like the juice from a can of Spaghettios.

Oh I'm also fermenting a batch of lemon aji and pineapple for sauce as we speak. And I made this weirdo last month:

Good thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's cayenne, tomato, garlic, palm sugar, apple cider and sherry vinegars. The peppers and tomatoes were roasted until charred, then just blended up. I didn't ferment that one at all, because some of the cayennes were going south by the time I got to making it (they came from my garden and lasted in my fridge for months)

E: Just made this purchase on recommendation from upthread:

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 29, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Crystal, Cholula Green, Yellowbird Serrano Condiment, Valentina Extra Hot, Nando's Piri-Piri, El Yucateco Xtra Hot. Marie Sharp's entire line, Tabasco chipotle.

Except for Crystal they're all at my lovely local grocery store and all worth having. Crystal I gotta go to a different Kroger but it's my favorite Louisiana style (just slightly above Louisiana :ironicat:)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The trick to popcorn specifically is to grind it really really fine. They sell "popcorn salt" that's essentially a coffee grinder of salt. Sea salt, msg, garlic powder, chilies, should do it

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hell yeah but wtf not posting your salad technique

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My ferment is finally ready!

That's a quart bottle, and the whole batch. Equal parts lemon ajis from the garden (with seeds) and pineapple, fermented in a crock in the fridge for 4 months. I added enough brine and apple cider vinegar to get it to blend, honey, white pepper, pink peppercorn, sumac, MSG and lemon juice. And also a splash of vodka to stop it from exploding maybe.

I don't know if my lemon ajis were special, but they are way hotter than habaneros, and this sauce is about as spicy as straight habanero paste, but with a ton of complexity. I'm extremely satisfied but my B hole will not be.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah it was more "just had it laying around" kinda thing and it'll be refrigerated and consumed quickly. Nice to hear somebody else uses sumac on the regular, though!

P.S. Actual footage of me dividing vodka between my glass and the hot sauce:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Mike Rowe is a scab

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's here hidden with some canning stuff.

I would scrape and taste but I'll eat almost anything, including ground beef left out overnight.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Jhet posted:

Ferment the Tabasco and turn it into vinegar sauce.

Eat all the shishitos by either pan frying or quick grilling.

Make lots of Thai Super Hot curry and stir fry dishes all summer, then dry the rest and use them all winter in stir fry dishes. These can also be pickled and used like that too.

Thai bird chilies freeze really well too

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My favorite roasted pepper recipe is rajas con crema

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Buc-ees Taco Reaper sauce

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Scoville is a subjective scale anyways. Theoretically it's how many parts water added to one part pepper it would take to make it undetectable. So a drop of 1m scoville hot sauce would take 1m drops of water to not be tasted. But since taste is completely personal it's all kinda made up. But in a perfect world it's a straight scale so the two peppers would average out normally

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That makes sense but I wonder who the lucky guy is who set the conversion rate

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Your tap water almost certainly has chlorine in it. Check with your supplier to see if it's chlorine or chloramine. If it's the former, you can boil it off or even let it evaporate. If it's chloraminated it'll stay in the water no matter what. Either kill bacteria of all nature

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If you're using distilled water, make sure to use sea salt in the brine to give the bacteria the micro nutrients they also need. I don't bother if the water has minerals, but it makes a difference in chemically pure H2O

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Annath posted:

I bought 23lbs of (raw) "extra hot" Hatch Chilies for $40, which comes out to like $0.57/lb.

Uh...

Anyways, some acid will prevent oxidization. Lime juice is tasty or your favorite vinegar.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Annath posted:

What, it's literally 10% of the cost of the fresh peppers I found online.

Would the lactic acid from fermentation be enough to prevent the oxidization, or should I add some lime or vinegar when bottling the sauce?

Your math is wrong and it's $1.74/raw lb if you spent $40 on 23lbs

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah! I wouldn't worry too much about the color, since it's not like roasted chiles are going to be super bright green anyways. Lime juice is almost guaranteed to be in whatever you use it for in the end, so I'd add it for flavor anyways

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ferment the garlic

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Birthday haul from Jungle Jim's!

The mushroom one is wild. Tastes like mushroom-flavored hot sauce duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I had a bunch of it on green papaya salad, barbecued chicken thighs and coconut rice for dinner tonight and can confirm it's good af