Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Kafka Esq. posted:

Mcilhenny Habanero Tabasco Sauce. I swear to God, I could have this on everything. I bought a 24.

ThomasPaine posted:

I genuinely like Tabasco's habanero sauce, am I a joke?
No way, the Habanero Tabasco is the best Tabasco variety out there--even better than the Chipotle variety that everyone seems to rave about. It's my number one go-to.

To add to the discussion: How do you all feel about refrigeration? Do you store your sauces cooled or at room temperature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
This is normally posted in every GWS hot sauce thread, but hasn't been seen in this one yet:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Mango_Habanero_Hot_Sauce

All credit goes to NosmoKing. This is a good (and easy) recipe that was posted here a few years ago. It's a great start to learning to make and customize your own hot sauces.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Fooley posted:

Random parts of my hands are burning and I'm probably going to burn my dick off the next time I pee, but it was worth it.
That's the spirit.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Senior Funkenstien posted:

These bad boys right here. Only tried the one on the far left so far and its kinda like a mix between rooster sauce and crystal hot sauce. Awesome on pizza.

I've tried the Habanero Sharkbite variety in the middle of your picture. It's pretty good on, well, anything.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Dickey Butts posted:

(gently caress tabasco)

Tabasco > Louisiana > Crystal

:dealwithit:

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Habanero Tabasco is my #1 BFF

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Chow Chow is a condiment created from cabbage. Originally from Newfoundland, I believe, and later introduced to Louisiana by French migrants where it became a staple in Louisiana/Southern cuisine.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Jose posted:

its so much nicer than the regular stuff

Tabasco Habanero really is a good sauce. It has just a hint of the fermented pepper mash taste that I like from Tabasco, without being quite so vinegary--and a good amount of heat and fruit. If I could only have one bottle in the pantry, I would seriously consider it as the one.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
How long do dehydrated peppers keep? I have some Peruvian habaneros which are about at eight months in the jar now. I think they have lost a little bit of kick over time, but they still look just fine. Is there anything to watch for other than visible mold?

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Nah, but when you cut them open to use them, peep the insides. I've had peppers mold from the inside out before.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Yeah it sucks, they mold on the inside but look great from outside. I had to toss out so many when dehydrating.

I've got some really old ones saved (like 4 years) and they're still fine. If they aren't sealed properly they will slightly re-hydrate and turn super hard but I haven't seen any visible mold.

Thanks, good advice. I actually halved them prior to dehydration for that very reason.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

Tobasco just released a Scorpion sauce, something like 20000 scoville. It's only available via ordering from their site or from their company headquarters in the state of Louisiana.

uber_stoat posted:

sold out. darn it.

They are making a second batch and taking orders now on their website, FYI.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
First time growing some really strong peppers (7-Pot Browns). Any tips on encouraging your peppers to ripen? They are all staying green and I’m worried the cooling temps and shortening sun are going to win the race.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
OK, USA. I have a lot of time invested in these plants, but it sounds like I shouldn’t be too worried as frost is still a ways off. Thanks for the reassurance. My tabascos had been very prolific and turning red on their own all summer, but then suddenly stopped and have been setting green for a long while, too. The shift in sun inclination into Fall has started to partially shade them and I am wondering if that is the culprit.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Looks like 7a fits about right.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Good zone, not too cold too soon. Are these peppers potted? What daily and over night temps are you seeing right now? Have you taste-tested the peppers? Does it still have flowers?

If it is a potted plant (or you can put it in one), I'd advise moving the plant inside once daily max temps drop below 60ish, near a sunny south window, or at least a east facing one, with decent air flow and a temperature between 70-80. Can we get a picture of the plant and it's leaves and fruit?
Planned to follow up on this, but had to put it off due to leveling up to Daddy III last week :toot:. Peppers are not potted; temperatures are in the mid-80s and lows in the mid-60s past couple of weeks. However, this is looking to be the week we drop into the mid-40s at night, and the sun-angle is lower now and trees are now cutting off a lot of sunlight. I cannot afford to pot and keep indoors, so unfortunately have to treat as annuals. I planted poblano, habanero, tabasco, chiltpin wahiro indian, 7-pot browns, and carolina reapers this year. The poblanos, habaneros, and chiltpins have done nicely and are very productive. The tabasco started off well, but then the fruit suddenly stopped ripening. The 7-pot and reapers have been slow-going, and would not seem to ripen at all.

Pictures: 7-pot plant, 7-pot fruit, and tabasco.

Someone recommended throwing a few banana peels under the plants, to see if the gasses released during decomp would promote ripening. Within two days, my 7-pots began to brown (picture of 7-pot fruit). I'm taking this as a win, and plan to wait and see if the reapers and tabascos will follow.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I agree, but I do really like the habanero one.
Habanero > Chipotle > Original

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Pioneer42 posted:

Habanero > Chipotle > Original
Self-quoting here, but I got these in the mail today and will be curious how they stack up:

Picked this one up at the store. I love the red for south-of-the-border recipes, so I am hoping this will be a step up:

Also, what do you do with a weekly garden haul like this?

Well, if you've preserved all you need already, you stuff them with cheese and sausage.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
The Firehouse Subs brand Datil pepper sauce (Captain Sorensen's?) is actually pretty legit on its own. It's the one you can buy in the fire hydrant bottle.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

The green El Yucateco was my favorite. I'll definitely be getting some more of their stuff once I feel like eating hot sauce again.

For me, its the black label habanero El Yucateco. Pretty much hits the mark on anything.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

Best hot sauce for eggs is Habanero Tabasco. Second place is Valentina Black Label.

I am going to sound like a commercial here, but Habanero Tabasco is my top favorite Louisiana-style sauce. My GOTO for eggs, pizza, shrimp, etc.--basically anything outside of Mexican dishes (for which I prefer El Yucateco black label). It is the perfect balance to me of flavor and fruitiness and fermentation pungency, while being hot enough to be interesting without overdoing it. I will be trying the Scorpion Tabasco next to see if it compares.

Edit: I know this isn't gardenchat, but I just pulled these out of the garden: Tabasco, Trinidad Moruga Scorpions, Bhut Jolokias, and a couple of Poblanos. Any suggestions on what to do with them besides just drying them out?

Pioneer42 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 27, 2018

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Trinidad scorpion (garden-grown) top round jerky fresh out of the dehydrator. Smells incredible, but I may have overdone the dosage as my hand is burning just from touch. Hoping it’s edible.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

I've never seen that roasted pepper one before, gonna have to try that.

It’s pretty good. Not especially hot, but focuses on flavor. Hints of balsamic, so it is a little sweet/tangy, and so pairs well with vegetables and meats.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

ogarza posted:

Much improved this time

However many peanuts and arbol peppers you see in there, about 4-5 garlic cloves, fried in olive oil

Blended with water, more oil, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, 2 raw cloves of garlic, 2-3 cloves (sticks), salt.

aww hell yeah

Spicy, garlicky, creamy, and slightly tart.

Please write this up and put it on the wiki

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Surplus of habaneros, you say?

Just this week I made NosmoKing's recipe for Mango Habanero Sauce. All credit goes to NosmoKing.

http://goonswithspoons.com/Mango_Habanero_Hot_Sauce

Minor changes to the recipe were that I only used 3/4 lbm of habaneros from my garden, and I removed the seeds during prep. I also used two ripe peaches in place of the mango.

Starting with the carrots, onions, garlic, and then habaneros in the pan. Then added the fruit and liquids until good and simmered.

Blended everything from the pan into a fine sauce.

The sauce is a tropical combination of sweet and and heat. If you are sharing it with normal people, consider reducing the number of habaneros, as it can turn out pretty strong.

Highly recommended.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Another visit to the garden. At some point I crossed a line. I'm not even sure what to do with these anymore beyond dry them and add to the stores.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Thank you for the compliments. I should have mentioned that the harvest is Carolina Reaper, 7-Pot Brown, Habanero, Peruvian White Habanero, and Tabasco. Except for the oranges the seeds came from PuckerButt. The 7-Pots have traditionally been my favorite, but this year I have really enjoyed the Peruvians. Like a Habanero, good balance of flavor and heat, in a convenient-sized package.

I like to make mango/peach sauce from the Habaneros, and usually dehydrate the rest. At the end of season I pick all my green Tabascos and use for vinegar.

I, too, think I will give the fermenting recipe a try. When prepping the ingredients, should I do anything to the pods beyond giving them a good rinse in water after bringing them in to reduce contamination?

Also, I have never tried freezing. Any tips on how to store/freeze/thaw?

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Convinced my SO to make an extra stop on a road trip at the end of last year.

Picked up my seeds for this season while I was there, to save on shipping, and a few bottled sauces.

Everything going great with the seedlings, a couple more weeks and they'll be ready to head outdoors.

Also, of their bottled sauces, this one has been my favorite. Not a fan of silly names, but its one I might pick up again. It is mainly ghost pepper mash; so it's got a good flavor and not stupid hot.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I have a mix of plants this year--Peruvian Habaneros, 7-Pot Browns, Carolina Reapers, Aji Verde, and an Orange Thai anuum variety--loaded with unripe fruit. I typically dry/freeze them, pickle, or make salsa/sauces. For the sauce plans this year, I have some curiosities about Scoville ratings. If I have a rough idea of the min/max/median Scoville rating of a particular cultivar, what is the best way to estimate the resulting Scoville rating of a home-made sauce? Just for curiosity, not commercial.

For example, if Peruvian Habaneros average around 200 thousand SHU (understanding the variation in the actual value of my plants), and I blend the fruit into a puree, is the puree still equivalent value? If I have mixed a sauce with other ingredients (fruit, carrots, onions/garlic, etc) and vinegar can I unofficially estimate the resulting SHU using a ratio of mass of peppers vs other ingredients, or are all bets off?

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
There needs to be a better way. Like a litmus paper for capsaicin. Even if everyone senses it differently, at least something objective to evaluate.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
So is the “5-panel” taste test deprecated? I know simple chromatography can be done at home, but does separating and identifying capsaicin require a real lab?

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
An article came up today with some depressing interesting information on further commercial hot sauce consolidation, condiment competition, and branding. Mostly on-topic for this thread since Frank's and Cholula are rather popular here.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2022-mccormick-franks-cholula-hot-sauce-supremacy/

I, for one, will go down kicking and screaming clutching a bottle of Tabasco family reserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I grew those Zapotec Jalapeños last year. They were excellent. A little on the smaller side, but good flavor. I’d also recommend their Rayados variety.

Also, what I love about ordering from Refining Fire is that they usually toss in some random seed packets as a bonus, which gets me to try varieties I never would have picked on my own.