Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bum the Sad posted:

Who the gently caress uses some one else's Chapstick?

Those of terminally chapped lips in desperation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

atomicthumbs posted:

cooked pepper sauce base, with serrano, jalapeno, more dried red peppers, most of the habaneros, apple cider vinegar. in progress. I flew too close to the sun and the extractor fan above the range was not enough. I've violated the Geneva Protocol and I think I am dying.

edit: I have a face mask. Could not find goggles. Death is certain.

This is why I am not allowed to cook weird things indoors anymore, and have been mostly banished to the 'outdoor kitchen'.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Butch Cassidy posted:

More for me, heathen.

I like Tabasco for some applications, I just feel it has a lot more body to it then Crystals, Louisiana, or Franks. If you want a high clean vinegar zip, the latter are for you. I use Tabasco for stuff like my home made chicken rice greens soup, which I make with a chicken sweet potato stock and it's really sweet, needs something to cut it. It's also the only thing I put on Mac and Cheese. I also really liked the Tabasco Chipotle on turkey sandwiches, but that job has been taken over completely by Cholula Chipotle, which I can find easier (thank you, Publix International Foods Aisle!), and that's much smokier, which I like.

Anyone else like the Tijuana Flats hot sauces? It's a colorful tex-mex chain that does a lot of charity stuff (or at least, they wear it on their sleeve a lot more then other joints). They also prominently feature a nice hot sauce bar that lets you try all the sauces they have on tap. Fun to get an order of nachos (the queso is some derivative of crack cocaine, it's super ghetto and bad for you but I Can Not StopPuttinItInMyMouth) and just try different hot sauces for an hour.

My dad picked up a recent special edition breast cancer mango hot sauce from TF I really liked. Not complex or super hot or anything, it was kinda like the kool-aid of hot sauces. I used the bottle in about a week. I put it on everything. I put it in a SMOOTHIE.

So yeah. I'm not about burning my mouth off or anything, I'm pretty easily overwhelmed by super hot heat (scoville and temperature wise!), and I'm not super sophisticated about it. I just like what I like, and I like trying new things.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 1, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wormil posted:

I made this sauce awhile back using 2 habeneros and it was too mild. So I added 4 more and it was still too mild. That's 6 drat habeneros so I don't know if the sauce is just incredibly well balanced or I got some bogus habeneros. The sauce is really good though, just needs to be hotter.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/mango-habanero-barbecue-sauce.html

Are you not using the whole pepper (flesh, veins and seeds)? That's the only problem I can think of other then being bogus peppers.

In other news, I'm planting datils come spring. The north floridaest pepper. It's like a fruitier citrusy habanero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datil_pepper

\/\/ You might have been over-zealous in the seeding, maybe? I personally save the veins and seeds to the side and add later to taste, after mashing the heck out of them in my mortar and pestle. Do not use the same mortar and pestle that you crush the dog's glucosamine pills in, like I stupidly did once. Neither of us were very happy that night. \/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 11, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

EL BROMANCE posted:

I went to Peppers of Key West when I was down that way a few weeks ago. Are these hot sauce tasting bars common at all in the US?

Places that sell hotsauce usually have a sample bar. The chain Tijuanna Flats has a nice little hotsauce bar to compliment your meal, its about 10 or 15 different types. Another chain, Pollo Tropical has some sauces, but its more salsas and bbq sauce, and sometimes they only have a few choices. It's usually taco or tex mex places that will have any hot sauce variety. Oh, Jamaican too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

niss posted:

I did also just get a food dehydrator as a gift so I am going to have some fun with that drying out peppers.

I like traffic lights. I like traffic lights.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Matt18001 posted:

Racist 16 year olds.

Scared white managers.

"Okay, all hot sauces named after white people go in the condiment aisle. So Frank's, Crystal, Dave's, and Texas Pete's."
"Sir, Tabasco's made in Louisiana."
"Too many blacks there, kid. Keep it with the Siratcha and Choleeya lady."

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

goodness posted:

Publix has the best subs.

Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying: "HOLY, HOLY, HOLY IS THE SCARFACE CUBAN SUB AT PUBLIX, WHICH IS A COLD CUBAN ON WHOLE GRAIN BREAD AND ALL THE FIXINS EXCEPT OLIVES

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I just bought this

hot sauce?

ooooooo

Shaken:
It's just vinegar, water, salt, and oleoresin of capsicum. It's super fun to have out on the table. I might never use it, but it's a fun part of the collection.

Also I just realised I collect hot sauce now.

edit: oh cripes my thumbs are filthy. Sorry, was managing a fire pit.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 29, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CleverHans posted:

Congratulations, you now own a non-functional lava lamp that tastes like sour, salty burning.

That's what they told your dad on his honeymoon :wiggle:

I honestly don't care, it looks funny and was five bucks. I'd say i've gotten my five bucks worth just playing with it and showing it to friends, but I also got Saints Row 2 for 5bux, so that's really wrecked the money-fun curve.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made an infused white wine vinegar with dried birds-eye chilis, szechuan peppercorns, anchos, and tellicherry peppercorns. It hurts so good.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Annath posted:

Not really a hot sauce, but I love me some Pickapeppa sauce.

Pickapeppa is the best on pork.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Tiger sauce is the best on potato. Any potato.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bunnielab posted:

Huh, around Baltimore, Tiger Sauce is mixing a ton of grated horseradish with enough mayo to make it spreadable, like a vastly stronger version of Arby's horsey sauce.

A little late, but I also love horsey sauce. I dont care if Arby's is terrible, I want curly fries and horsey sauce NOW drat it. Speaking of horseradish though, Tiger Sauce is also a fantastic cocktail sauce on cold shrimp.

Wild T posted:

Now I'm living in on an island in the middle of the Indian Ocean and the hottest we can get at our one store are jalapeños. I ended up ordering a packet of habanero seeds and some soil and had about ten plants growing very well until the new dude in charge saw them, bitched about introducing non-native species and made me get rid of them. This was in a garden box I built in a field of non-native grass, studded with non-native decorative hibiscus bushes overlooked by non-native coconut palms. Oh well, there's always Amazon for my habanero habit.

That's hosed up.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 7, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I bought some pepper and garlic antipasto from Publix the other day off of the olive bar. Holy crap, that stuff was surprisingly spicy. Turns out it's straight chilli peppers in there. The peppers themselves are actually less hot then the oil. Hurts pretty good. Gonna use it as some dressing on a particularly mild batch of meatballs and sauce mom made.

I may never have a cold again. The spice blows out your sinuses, and the whole garlic cloves hunt down the vampire particulates in the cold virus.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made Apple Datil sauce.

http://imgur.com/7Dzw1so

Based a bit on http://adequateman.deadspin.com/how-to-make-apple-habanero-hot-sauce-1733788000 , except 11 tiny datils, 7 apples, no bourbon. 3tbs of sugar, 1 tbs smoked salt, just 1 white onion. Knob of ginger. Instead of water, Apple cider. A jot of liquid smoke. A shake of MSG. It's sweet and smokey and tangy and warm. I mixed some in cream cheese and made pretzel dip. It's magical. Would be great on turkey.

There's more in the canner, cooling. Tiny jars to give to friends, big jar for meeeeee

Who's up for tradesies?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 1, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Snorri posted:

Just wanted to chime in with a quasi-local sauce:

The rest of their sauces are also quite good but none stand out as much as these two for me.

Edit: Forgot to include the URL http://apinya.co/.

Oh my goodness that packaging is adorable. I might get some for the collection.

Edit: GAAASSPP They're at the Pepper Palace in St. Augustine! Heck yeah, The boyfriend and I are now planning a trip over.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 12, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Went to pepper palace, got me some goodness. https://imgur.com/5T5bcqj

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Butch Cassidy posted:

The pumpkin one, send it to me.

Order it for yourself, it's only like tenbux and shipping.

Wild T posted:

Pepper Palace owns.

They dooooo

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Crazyeyes posted:

So I feel like you guys can appreciate this...

I bought a bunch of hot peppers at my local farmers market over the weekend and canned up some pepper relish. Problem is during the deseeding step of the process I dropped a shitload of seeds on the floor, which I then stepped on.

Two days later my feet feel like they are on fire. Gets worse and worse throughout the day as my feet sweat.

Soak them in yogurt. Bonus, soften those callouses up. Or a weak bleach solution. Or baking soda paste. Or vodka.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

My family found out I loved hot stuff from an early age and so pretty much every birthday/Christmas gift was some form of hotsauce when I was growing up.

I'm really trying to get my family to take the hint and do exactly the same. Lucky duck!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

taqueso posted:

Also, no idea what those are.

Those are HOT SAUCES in a COLD PLACE you MONSTER. Most sauces are best kept in cabinet or cool dark place. The ones that need refrigerating will say so.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'll avoid it then, thanks. Since I have memories of it almost killing my grandpa I figured it was a gag gift, he's very sensitive to spicy food. I'll try out one of their other sauces though, I need to expand beyond Texas Pete & Louisiana.

Where are you in the world? Try some local sauces, just about everywhere grows or processes it's own hot peppers nowadays.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GobiasIndustries posted:

Colorado. So yeah...I've probably got some local options. Still wanna try that Original Juan Jamaican style tho

You're in the land of roasted green chillies​ stands! Lucky you.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Croatoan posted:

Oh man this "Gator hammock swamp gator hot sauce" is super duper good! Might be a new favorite!

That's what I sent to my secret santa. It's quality stuff!

Speaking of which, my guy got in a new supplier of affordable alligator jerky. So hopefully my next secret santa will get that under their tree ;p

And god drat I need a saturday off so I can go to the local market and pick up my new favorite vinegary sauce. This is my JAM right here.

http://banddsauceco.com/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 12, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

:eyepop:
Gator jerky! That sounds awesome.

Gonna have to order a bottle of that B and D now to give it a try.

It's gator mixed with beef. It's pretty tasty and a nice novelty gift. Straight up gator jerky runs you like 18 bucks for a 3oz packet.

Deffo order that sauce! I had the Smokey Birds sauce, posted the wrong picture. It had a fantastic tang and an almost limey sweetness in with the smoke.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you live near a Firehouse Subs, they have a surprisingly decent selection of non-basic hot sauces! It's a great way to try new sauces and see which you like.

Go to Tijuana Flats and sample their hot sauce bar too. And the food is fantastic. Just order the nachos, eat nachos and hot sauce, and before you leave, ask if you can have some chips to go. They will straight up give you a whole fresh brown bag of tortilla chips sprinkled with whatever magical spice and salt mix they use, FOR FREE.

They also serve beer.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 13, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Croatoan posted:

For real though, it's not all that spicy but the black pepper and other floaty bits make this a fuckin' killer hot sauce. I was literally dipping my sandwich in a cup of it.

Yeah, it's more like Tiger Sauce. It's pretty approachable as far as sauces go. Do yourself a favor and dunk some fried shrimp or fish in that stuff. Or roasted veggies.

pr0k posted:

Morton's ...iodized salt?

I think they may have meant

?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 23, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bogart posted:

I'm sorry. Scorpions, as in, the bug? She grinds up bugs in her hot sauce?

Yes. All this time, we've been eating bug sauce.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wormil posted:

Nope. You can simulate a burger but there is no substitute for a hot wing.

I dunno, fried squash and zucchini spears are pretty rad covered in buttery spicy buffalo sauce. Just make sure to eat with your fingers and get hot sauce into any small cuts you make have on your hands.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pioneer42 posted:

OK, USA. I have a lot of time invested in these plants, but it sounds like I shouldn’t be too worried as frost is still a ways off. Thanks for the reassurance. My tabascos had been very prolific and turning red on their own all summer, but then suddenly stopped and have been setting green for a long while, too. The shift in sun inclination into Fall has started to partially shade them and I am wondering if that is the culprit.

The USA has 26 different planting zones. You're going to have to be a lot more specific.

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Pick the zone you live in and let us know, that'll give us a better idea of what advice to give. Also check out the gardening thread.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pioneer42 posted:

Looks like 7a fits about right.

Good zone, not too cold too soon. Are these peppers potted? What daily and over night temps are you seeing right now? Have you taste-tested the peppers? Does it still have flowers?

If it is a potted plant (or you can put it in one), I'd advise moving the plant inside once daily max temps drop below 60ish, near a sunny south window, or at least a east facing one, with decent air flow and a temperature between 70-80. Can we get a picture of the plant and it's leaves and fruit?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

If you eat any sort of greens without some form of hotsauce you are doing it wrong imo

I can't eat most forms of noodle any more without some kind of hot sauce.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Avocado with lime juice and sriracha. Heaven.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Not hot sauce, but I did try and buy Nasal Napalm Horseradish last week. It was mostly because my boyfriend, who has a massive capcasium tolerance, had his head blown off by the stuff. I also get wicked sinus problems in winter and BOY HOWDY will this alleviate that. It was also on sale.

https://www.pepperpalace.com/Nasal-Napalm-p/q29.htm

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Zanna posted:

Oh, definitely; I work for a regional grocery chain that has a program for helping local vendors get businesses started.

You need to start your own thread about this, it sounds amazing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If you like fatalis, be sure to try their American cultivar, Datils. Fruity and delightful little heat bombs.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

iospace posted:

Two nights ago I put Melinda's ghost pepper sauce all over my pizza.

It was worth it.

My uncle with catastrophic bowel issues set him self up a tablet charging station and a tv in his bathroom. Maybe you should look into the same?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I don't like sriracha and eggs, but vinegar sauces and eggs are really good.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Herr Tog posted:

sounds like awesome science.

This WILL sting. A lot.

But it's only like a minute before someone makes the hottest hot sauce ever and completely destroy their tounges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

pahuyuth posted:

goddrat that looks amazing

I've seen clear hot sauce in a grocery store near me. I should pick up a bottle and give it a whirl

If you do and it looks like a lava lamp, I have that same sauce. It's fun.