Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I've got Frank's Red Hot and Weber's horseradish mustard in the fridge, truly influences of living in Western NY. Also some Tapatio. Melinda's garlic habanero when I find it.

Anyway, I got this hot sauce kit for Christmas:
https://imgur.com/a/ddj0a

Such cute little bottles for fiery death.

I've also got harissa and just about all of Punjab kicking around in my spice cabinet. The box says to experiment with stuff besides the starter ingredients... Wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Khablam posted:

Franks is complete garbage hot sauce for babies but it's a regular guilty please of mine. Drown a cold pizza in it and it's heavenly.

It's good for my roommates who are largely intolerant of spicy. Plus, yeah, it's cheap and has decent flavor.

Anyone else like Scorned Woman? I remember I first tried it when I was like 10 and stuck with me since.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

So, uh...

Is it safe to say that if I've never made hot sauce before and have this kit, just throw poo poo together and see what sticks? With documentation, of course

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

My coworker makes hot sauce and has a challenge. Take a spoonful and try not to drink anything for 10 seconds. She uses scorpions and scotch bonnets.

Of course I'm going to try it.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

She's making the batch. This is a sauce that isn't meant for normal use; it's just a test of strength thing for us idiots in the lab. No one has passed so far. I fully expect pain both the day of and the day after.

That being said, I hear her normal uses sauces are also definitely up there in heat. The images I've had described to me are Matrix arsenal levels numbers of jars and ingredients in the pantry.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I did the hot sauce thing. I don't have a video of the original tasting but I have a jar so whatevs

Less of a sauce, more a chutney. This batch didn't get ground to a paste. I could see no fewer than 4 garlic cloves mashed on the side of the jar.

It is indeed painful to eat a spoonful of. Hell, it was still fiery on a mound of pulled pork. However, it's deliciously tangy and garlicky and peppery so gently caress my entrails, I'm using it to make a big pot of fried rice tonight.

As a bonus I got some cilantro chutney of some sort. Not as spicy, but delicious salty and earthy on my omlette this morning

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Anyone try this stuff before? I tried it at a friend's place and it was super good. As the name implies, cilantro is a dominant flavor, with a nice vinegar tang and a fairly mild spice. It went really well with fried eggs. Haven't tried their other stuff, but seriously considering getting a bottle of my own, even though it's kinda pricey.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

nwin posted:

Yeah, I’m not buying it either.

But will you buy it?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Thoroughly enjoying these two I picked up while passing through Vermont. The Dark Swizzle is a rum-infused, Bermuda inspired ghost pepper sauce. The other is a garlicky habanero.

I'm going to have to try their other stuff

I also got a bottle of the Demon Reaper sauce, but found it more simple inferno than getting any sort of flavor.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

I don't like tabasco but I want to visit avery island, I hear they're like a cult family there

out in the middle of those swamps, cut off from the world.

...this is just a PUBG map, isn't it

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I previously suggested people try Hank Sauce's Cilanktro for pork and fish.

Well, now I recommend their Honey Habanero sauce. It's a tad sweet, excellent pepper flavor but also not knock your socks off spicy. I totally see myself using a whole bottle on a plate of wings in the near future.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Power of Pecota posted:

Melinda's is good and I'll use it at like a diner if it's available, but I haven't bought it since learning they hosed Marie Sharp over re: her original recipe

Well, I USED to drink the garlic habanero by the gallon. Did the reading now...

Will try to go for Marie Sharp's for the future.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

The latest locally grown habaneros I aquired are decidedly... Unspicy. What do

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I wound up slicing some up on toast with hot ajvar and cheese and then throwing the rest in my bland store bought curry for lunch.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

angerbeet posted:

This reminds me I bought a jar of ajvar a while back and never really decided what to do with it. Toast and cheese sounds nice, what else do you use it for?

crackers

fried egg

might try some in savory oats or something

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Jhet posted:

I have my Fatalii plant full of ripening fruit, so I decided to pick one and stuff it with ricota and bread and deep fry it with some fish tonight. It was the best popper I've ever eaten, but I'd advise against more than a couple. Pleasantly hot, fruity, and delicious.

At least I didn't do it with any of the ghost or scorpion peppers.

I'm drooling

was it crunchy

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Annath posted:

I wonder if cilantro would go good with the other ingredients.

I had a really good sauce with cilantro and I'm wondering if I could do something similar.

Cilantro works wonders in hot sauce.

Cilanktro is great.

A classmate also let me try this one the other day and as the name implied, it was heavy on cilantro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

jaadee posted:

Sorry to interrupt homemade hot sauce chat, but https://karmasauce.com/ has a bogo sale on one of their most popular sauces, Ghost Island. Karmasauce's recipes have apparently been all over the Hot Ones youtube show as of late but I fell off watching it some time ago so missed the train. I came across it when a local tamale shop did a full reorg and devoted an entire wall to hot sauces.

Ghost Island is mustardy and I love it with sandwich meats especially ham. Hot enough for me that I get sniffly when eating it with tortilla chips but never accumulates to discomfort. Tough to stomach the usual local price of $12 though considering how fast I rip through a bottle so half off means I'm stocking up.

I never heard of this company before. Shame because I live in Rochester. I just picked up the Ghost Island and the Huhu Pina at a local store.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 28, 2023