Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Midorka posted:

Anyone have experience fermenting peppers who's brain I can pick?

I've made a couple fermented hot sauces. What's your question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
It sounds like you had one successful batch and one delicious, but unfermented, batch. How long have they been sitting since you combined them?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I'm sorry, but I think it's beyond my expertise. Maybe one developed bad bacteria that killed the whole thing when mixed together?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Thunder Moose posted:

What are some of our favorite chipotle hot sauces?

I have a thing for smokey hot sauce flavor.

Cholula chipotle is ultra-smoky, not too hot, but pleasantly so. And cheap! A 5oz bottle (that I go through in about a month) is like $1.29.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I bought a bottle of that El Yucateco Black stuff. Not a fan. Tastes acrid, like burnt leaves or something. Not very hot, either. blech.

Try the kutbil-ik. It has a really fresh, strong hab taste, it is hot without being ridiculously hot, and it's really good on eggs or chorizo burritos or most things.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

So, what's everyone here do for butthole relief?

Sour cream tampon.

I'm joking. That's gross, and you would smell like rotten milk after a few hours.

Preparation H might help.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Squashy Nipples posted:

This might be a retarded question, but... how is it that Ghost peppers naturally taste smoky? Without being smoked?

As plants grow they naturally form aromatic compounds for a variety of reasons (most of them beyond my knowledge). The class of aromatic molecule that contributes to that smoky flavor is primarily phenolic, which also includes capsaicin. Peppers are very high in phenolic compounds in general, especially Capsicum chinense, the species that includes habanero, bhut jolokia, datil, and hainan peppers, among others.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Squashy Nipples posted:

That's a drat good answer, thank you.

No problem. I work with aromatic compounds for a living so it's pretty important that I know this stuff, and I really enjoy spreading knowledge.

As a completely unrelated aside, did you know that most vanilla flavoring doesn't come from beaver rear end like it used to? Castoreum is pretty expensive to acquire and has low yields, but you can just harvest ethylvanillin from pyrolysis of wood. In other words, "natural and artificial vanilla flavoring" is more often than not a byproduct of making charcoal. Ethylvanillin isn't the same as vanillin, and neither is the same as castoreum, but to the average palate and for the average use they're close enough. So, the next time you see someone post about beaver anal gland secretions, :spergin: all over their feed - it's a great way to make friends.

That said, castoreum does have a really wonderful aroma. It's different from, but I think every bit as enjoyable as, the scent of actual vanilla pods.

xiansi posted:

This thing I read recently seems very relevant to the thread:

https://aeon.co/essays/what-kind-of-masochists-want-to-burn-their-mouths-off

I had always wondered why chillies evolved to be unpalatable (well, initially) to mammals. It's our "seed-destroying teeth" apparently. Birds don't feel the capsaicin though, or have teeth, happily eat the things, and then poo poo out the undestroyed seeds elsewhere. Thus spreading the chillies. Thanks, birds!

Plenty more great :science: here - I'm going to be bringing out "allyl isothiocynanate" next time I bore someone as to why wasabi isn't really hot.

Thanks! I should've guessed that it was for purposes of self-defense. Evolution can be pretty clever.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

QuarkMartial posted:

I know it isn't hot sauce, but anyone have recommendations for hot mustard?

I'd like to find some good Asian style as well as a more German(?) style. I guess that's the way to describe it. I like Chinese hot mustard and the sort of spicy brown mustard you would put on a hot dog or bratwurst. I don't think those are the same thing though; maybe they are.

Löwensenf Extra. The stuff with all German writing on the label is hotter, but even the English-text version you can find at Cost Plus World Market and other stores is very good. Delicious on a bratwurst, or you can smear it on a roast.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

katkillad2 posted:

Took some of the suggestions and bought like 6 bottles of hot sauce, the one that really stands out is this:

It's smokey, vinegary and the perfect amount of heat... easily my new favorite hot sauce. Is there anything similar/better or should I just continue buying this stuff for the rest of my life?

Cholula Chipotle is considerably milder but I love the flavor. I don't think one will replace the other, but you might want to keep both around.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

katkillad2 posted:

Merry Christmas to myself.

Got it on Amazon, less than half the cost of the tiny bottles per ounce!

:eyepop:

Shotgun that sauce

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Louisiana brand :colbert:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Flaggy posted:

drat. Its about 3 bucks here and I am in Colorado.

This stuff is awesome, I agree. I also use the vinegar peppers in a bottle along with this. https://www.amazon.com/Louisiana-Tabasco-Peppers-in-Vinegar/dp/B0078X8B6M

Ooh, I'll have to pick those up. I imagine they'd go great in a gumbo, or a fork straight out of the jar.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Pooper Trooper posted:

Re: mustard talk from a few pages back, how come no UK goons recommended this beauty?

I was eating it by the spoonful when I was there

Beaver mustard is good stuff. It's not a UK brand, though - unless I missed your meaning? It's made just a few hours away from me.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

If they won't ship it for a reasonable rate, PM me. It might even be cheaper than most places here because it's made locally, just like Tillamook cheese. I can buy their entire range, so if there's anything in particular, let me know. The Cajun mustard is delicious.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

If you live near a Firehouse Subs, they have a surprisingly decent selection of non-basic hot sauces! It's a great way to try new sauces and see which you like.

e: skip the food though, it's almost subway tier

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 13, 2017

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

If anyone here is into Nando's peri peri sauce, my local Fred Meyer has it for $1.39 on closeout. They're out of Hot and Hot Hot, but they still have Medium and Garlic. I just picked up two bottles of garlic and one medium, but there's plenty more and I'd be willing to ship it to you for cost.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Flaggy posted:

I'll take some. I would take a bottle of garlic and medium. If they have it I would take 2 of each. That way I can share with a friend.

I'll make sure they still have some tomorrow.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

QuarkMartial posted:

Just got a bottle of Secret Aardvark Drunken Jerk sauce in the mail. This stuff is great, I can't wait to put it on everything.

That stuff is everywhere in Oregon, and it's amazing. Try all of their products - I haven't been disappointed yet.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Ignoring the stupid name, this is some seriously delicious sauce. If you can find it, buy it. It's not that hot, but it has some heat to it - and the flavor is really great, warm and tangy and complex.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

iospace posted:

Where are you getting this from?

Market of Choice in Eugene, OR. I'm not sure what their distribution radius is like, but they're based in the same state.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Chipotle Tabasco is alright, but I'll take chipotle Cholula over it any day. That's my most-used sauce. Not very hot at all, but the flavor is amazing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

iospace posted:

Is Secret Aardvark's habanero sauce worth 20 bucks for 3 bottles?

Absolutely it is, but I like their other sauces too - it might be worth picking up one of each instead of three of one. They're pretty sizeable bottles, so you won't be running out right away.

I love living in Oregon. Secret Aardvark is the table hot sauce for so many restaurants in Portland, and several in Eugene.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Discussion Quorum posted:

Cholula on eggs was one of my go-to breakfasts for a long time, but I recently bought a bottle of Valentina Extra Hot (which isn't actually all that hot) and it has basically replaced all Cholula/Tapatio/etc style sauces in my life.

What's a good entry point into habanero-based sauces? Right now I just use Valentina as my general purpose hot sauce, Crystal for beans/Louisiana foods, and Huy Fong chili garlic sauce, so I'm missing something in the fruity/zesty category. I can take more heat than what I've got in the pantry but I'm not really ready for :piss: levels of heat either.

I'm a huge fan of kutbil-ik, it has this amazing fresh hab flavor. It is a bit hot, though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Valentina is my favorite cheap regular sauce, but Cholula and El Yucateco make the best variants. Cholula Chipotle is my most used sauce at all, Cholula Chili Garlic is very good - bright, tangy, slightly hot; sort of like Nando's peri-peri. El Yucateco Kutbil-ik is my favorite pure hab sauce ever, it tastes super fresh and fruity.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

QuarkMartial posted:

We are iced in, but in desperate need of necessities, so I went to the Hispanic grocery store right by my house. Surprisingly (not) they had a large variety of hot sauce, so I snagged a few I'd not had before:

The El Yucateco and Valentina are ones I've had before, just took the opportunity to restock. The others are new. Really looking forward to the No Wimps Allowed.

Enjoy your Cholula, those are quality.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

QuarkMartial posted:

I like them. The chili garlic reminds me of PeriPeri, and the Chipotle is awesome in the chili I just made. The Marie Sharp's I like better than the comatose level version of their sauce. Same heat level but the extract flavor (at least, that's what I think I taste in the back of my throat) is less.

At least, those are my impressions based on tasting off a spoon. I also mainlined some Da Bomb to see if that throat feeling/taste was the extract. It was.

I wish they sold chipotle by the gallon. I use it so much.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I was going to suggest the same thing. The flavor is also pretty similar to what you described, but they might add some tomato puree to it for thickening and flavor. I can't taste any tomato at all in kutbil-ik.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Nando's herb and lemon is really, insanely good in tomato sauces. Also in general. Also the rest of the Nando's line.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Mushika posted:

I know im being stupidly pedantic and please forgive me, but Crystal hot sauce is singular and doesnt have an "s" at the end. That being said, it's one of my favorite hot sauces. I'll shut up now, sorry.

I'm going to go buy a bottle of Crystal's at Safeway's and you can't stop me

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Folks I just discovered Lao Gan Ma

What should I put it on? It's delicious but I need to pick my battles because it's like 200 calories per serving.

Eggs
Rice
Food
Things that aren't food
Literally everything in your life

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Trader Joe's sells a yuzu hot sauce that's basically yuzu kosho in vinegar, and it's very good. The bright floral flavor pairs well with cheese, green chiles, and also just about everything I've tried it on. Definitely pick up a bottle if the idea of yuzu hot sauce appeals.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Homemade dill pickled green tomato relish, mayo (I like homemade or Heinz), Jay D's molasses mustard, and Camden's catsup makes a great burger spread. Add some Louisiana brand or Crystal for heat.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

I assume that "spicy cajun spread" was something like remoulade? here's one recipe for it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/06/sauced-louisiana-remoulade-recipe.html

This is almost definitely the case and remoulade is basically whatever good tasting stuff mixed with mayo. Make it up as you go. Ume vinegar pickled onions? Go for it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Try some lemon juice. Or buy sharper mayonnaise. I think safflower mayo tastes a little flat and boring, personally.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Cholula makes the best grocery store hot sauces, especially the chipotle one :colbert:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

angor posted:

Chipotle Tabasco > Chipotle Cholula

Trash. GTFO.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

GloryBee sells habanero honey and it's delicious. Lots of fruity habanero flavor, a little heat - great on toast, even better on ham.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

swampface posted:

If you've got a vacuum sealer you can ferment peppers right in a bag. I did 2% salt to the weight of the peppers. The second pic is after 6 days. Needs extra liquid to replace the brine you'd normally have for sauce, but I've done an few batches without anything weird growing in there.

Brad did this on It's Alive and he recommended double bagging (double sealing?) which just seems prudent to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Human Tornada posted:

Am I the only one who finds Sean from Hot Ones unlikable? He's probably a nice guy and I know he does lots of research and is a really good host/interviewer but there's just something about him that rubs me the wrong way. I don't know, his personality seems a bit phony or calculated or something.

yeah absolutely, I really like the interviewees and the concept of the show, but he just grates on me and I can't enjoy it for that reason