Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Valentina is pretty good. I like just dumping it on corn chips. Lately I've been guzzling some minor ghetto brand of yellow jamaican scotch bonnet pepper sauce (ingredients: peppers, vinegar, sugar, water, salt, corn starch, misc preservatives) on everything. Hard boiled eggs, especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

meeeeh on calypso sauce. I've not yet found anything I like it on. I could be biased because when I first tried it I was expecting just a straight scotch bonnet yellow sauce and got smashed in the face with mustard.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I completely overlooked the bit where he was asking for a recommendation and just fixated on the sauce.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Crazyeyes posted:

uhhh.... Isn't THAT sriracha?

That my friend is Sambal Oelek. It's chilli paste with garlic and pretty much nothing else. It is amazing. I use it for putting heat into any type of cuisine in which red chillies are appropriate.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Crazyeyes posted:

There is a not insignificant chance that I have never eaten actual sriracha then. My stuff has always been green cap garlic chili sauce.

Sriracha is a squirty sauce. There's a pretty high chance that you've had it in some asian restaurant. Lots of cheap sushi ("spicy tuna") has it on it.

I have a bottle, but I find it pretty overrated. There's an oaky or smoky bitter aftertaste in it that I don't like so much (even though I like tabasco, which is oak-aged). I'll put it on hard-boiled eggs and that's about it. The sambal is superior.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I found some El Yucateo green, which I had been watching for since I discovered this thread. That poo poo is pretty good! I've been throwing it on my chicken tacos, and I don't think I've had a hotter sauce that wasn't one of those "novelty use only" uber pepper/extract fortified sauces which taste like dirt.

Too hot for straight on corn chips, that's for sure.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

El Marrow posted:

After a month of experimentation, I've come to the conclusion that the Carolina Reaper is a foul piece of poo poo that's only hot for the sake of being hot. Needless to say, this a disappointing truth.

I simply can't find anything that pairs well with it, and I've tried the Sling Blade on just about everything I eat.

If a hot sauce doesn't go well on chicken in some form, that's saying something. I'm pretty sure that chickens evolved to pair well with hot sauce as a way of discouraging predators with sensitive palates. Chickens are so stupid.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have been trying to get my hands on the Louisiana Crystal sauce mentioned in the cajun thread, but without success. Is it worth continued effort?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah after posting I checked their website. No retailers in Canada. One goofball specialty online store wants $6/bottle + $12 shipping for one. gently caress that.

From looking at the colour and descriptions I've read, I've been imagining it as a smokier/oaky version of Franks. Am I way off?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Midorka posted:

I'm a big fan of not seeding things. It's a pain in the butt. I suggest using a mesh strainer to catch the seeds once the sauce is done.

I always get worried that might affect the flavour and make my stuff bitter (especially with dried chilies which I rehydrate, blend, and strain for other dishes). Is that a misplaced concern? Can i just simmer those fuckers whole without dicking around?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I never thought of this as a particularly noteworthy sauce, but I realized lately that I hadn't seen it in ages. Found a bottle of it last night, bought it for the curiosity of nostalgia, and it's way better than I had remembered it. Simple, salty, and clean tasting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Midorka posted:

I added enough salt to ward that off, supposedly.

Couldn't that much salt also kill the yeast?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Squashy Nipples posted:

Holy crap! I love the regular green El Yucateco, but I didn't know this existed!

I must find!

Check Walmart. Seriously.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Squashy Nipples posted:

Walmart HEAVILY customizes it's inventory to suit the local market... and I live in New England. So, I'll take a look, but it seems unlikely. We have some Hispanic folks around here, but they tend to be from PR, not Mexico.

I'm in Canada, and not in an area with a notable mexican population. They just have that and the regular green flavour in the small bottles, one facing of each. In fact, Walmart is the only store that carries several basic "American" ingredients, like Old Bay seasoning, at least at a reasonable price.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Quiet Feet posted:

Anyone else out there occasionally make a peanut butter and hot sauce sandwich? My go to for this is either Franks or Louisiana but I'm curious if anyone's tried it with something else.

:staredog:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cool! Glad that I didn't lead you on a wild goose chase due to international variances in Walmart stock. I think mine actually just has green and x-hot, strangely enough.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I love Tabasco on pizza.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tiger Sauce?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you make your own sauces and experiment, make a record of what you put in so if something awesome happens you can do it again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

shankerz posted:

Anyone know of a good hot sauce that can be used to beef up a garlic aolie?

I'd be inclined to just use straight peppers, cayenne, or hot paprika, as your taste and circumstances require. Sambal Oelek might also be a good choice.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

shankerz posted:

Good call on the samba oelek, after much testing this won out the best IMO.

That poo poo works in anything where you want just a general red chili taste. Unlike lots of hot sauces it doesn't add secondary flavours like vinegar, oak, or other seasonings to whatever you're cooking. EG, I use it in chilli sometimes, depending on what I have in my cupboards, and it doesn't add any out-of-place layer to the flavour like srirracha or something like tobasco.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BraveUlysses posted:

This poo poo fuckinnnnn OWNS

I bought a bottle of this and had it with chicken and rice for lunch today. Not really that impressed tbh.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BraveUlysses posted:

yes

bummer, why? not spicy enough?

Its heat level is fine I suppose. I just don't really find the flavour remarkable. I'll use up the bottle eventually I guess.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like that valentina stuff either way, hot or not. I sometimes use it instead of salsa for dipping corn chips.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Had I tried this before I bought it, I probably wouldn't have bought it, but now the more that I eat this the more that I like it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

xiansi posted:

This thing I read recently seems very relevant to the thread:

https://aeon.co/essays/what-kind-of-masochists-want-to-burn-their-mouths-off

I had always wondered why chillies evolved to be unpalatable (well, initially) to mammals. It's our "seed-destroying teeth" apparently. Birds don't feel the capsaicin though, or have teeth, happily eat the things, and then poo poo out the undestroyed seeds elsewhere. Thus spreading the chillies. Thanks, birds!

Plenty more great :science: here - I'm going to be bringing out "allyl isothiocynanate" next time I bore someone as to why wasabi isn't really hot.

This means that every pepper you've eaten was in a bird's butt at some point in prehistory.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't know about you guys, but I'd be happy to read about mustard in the hot sauce thread. It's a sauce. It can be hot.

I like this poo poo:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Missing Name posted:

It's good for my roommates who are largely intolerant of spicy. Plus, yeah, it's cheap and has decent flavor.

Anyone else like Scorned Woman? I remember I first tried it when I was like 10 and stuck with me since.

I remember I tried it when I was like 10. It was the first truly hot sauce I tried. I've had it a few times since then. It's good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've never found Crystal in Canada for a reasonable price. The one time I saw it on a store shelf it was like $8 for a small bottle, and the online speciality stores put shipping on top of that.

I just put Louisiana on my gumbo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Squashy Nipples posted:

I love the Grace hot sauces. That one is awesome, but even their basic red Tabasco knockoff is an improvement on the original.

I was going to say the same thing. I considered MSpainting the image with a circle around that one to hilight it as the real pro sauce in the collection, but :effort:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Disco Godfather posted:

I didn't know Grace was so coveted. I live in a West Indian neighborhood, so the grocery has every Grace product you can think of.

I get all my exotics at the NYC Hot Sauce Expo. Anyone else in the tri-state area going?

It's not rare or coveted or anything. It's just really good, not hard to find, and it's probably the best price:flavour ratio you'll get from any brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a bunch of hot peppers planted. I'm tired and working with another gardener on this, so I can't remember exactly what kinds - there are some chillies and some habanero-shaped-but-not-habaneros of some kind too.

I want to make some hot sauce, but I'm not sure how to handle it when my peppers aren't all ripening at once. Any strategies? Should I hang them to dry? Should I freeze them? Throw them into a brine? Tell me, thread! FWIW they're only seedlings right now. I'm just thkning ahead.