Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pioneer42 posted:

No way, the Habanero Tabasco is the best Tabasco variety out there--even better than the Chipotle variety that everyone seems to rave about. It's my number one go-to.

To add to the discussion: How do you all feel about refrigeration? Do you store your sauces cooled or at room temperature?

I personally refrigerate all my hot sauces but that's because I prefer that lower temperature on my palate (a cold hot sauce if you will), not because I'm afraid they'd spoil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

wormil posted:

Picked my first jalapeno from the garden and sliced off a piece to try, it wasn't what I was expecting. Two glasses of milk and two spoonfuls of sour cream later my eyes are still watering and my mouth is on fire. There wasn't even seeds or pulp in my slice, just green pepper. I thought I had some tolerance but either these jalapenos are hotter than normal or they are some other kind of pepper. They are exciting hot. Can't wait to make hot sauce from them.

Maybe you planted some real OG jalapenos rather than the Texas A&M frankenvariety?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got a habanero hot sauce from Trader Joe's last weekend. I tried it this weekend not expecting much, but holy poo poo this sauce is loving hot as hell for a store-brand hot sauce and had me hiccuping like crazy. It's not terribly flavorful, just mostly pure heat, so I'm not in love with it but I know what I'll use when I need to add some fire to whatever I'm cooking.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I found a huge 34 oz. bottle of Valentina hot sauce at Aldi yesterday for $1.79. I tried some last night and it's...not hot at all. Very disappointing. I'll use it, but probably more for the flavor (which admittedly is not bad) during cooking than for any condiment use.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bum the Sad posted:

Read the thread noob.

Well EXCUUUUUUUSE ME for not pulling out this thread and reading through 15 pages when I got excited after seeing a bigass bottle of hot sauce for $1.79!!!! Come on, you know you'd have some excitement palpitations if you ran across so much hot sauce for so little money anywhere, too.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got this hot sauce somewhere, I can't even remember where. I cracked it open last week and applied liberally to some tacos for dinner. Holy poo poo, what a mistake. This stuff is searingly hot. I am an evangelist of capsaicin, but will be using this stuff very sparingly moving forward. It had me drenched in sweat. Good poo poo.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

No bitterness that I could detect, no.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

You guys ever watch Hot Ones? It's an interview show where between every question they eat a chicken wing doused in increasingly spicy hot sauce.

Key and Peele did admirably:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_9v-7rtVDk

This was really really awesome.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

pr0k posted:

Not very spicy at all, but I have a new love - trader joe's green dragon hot sauce. Lime/cilantro/tomatillo/green chile. Heavy cilantro/tomatillo flavor, just enough heat to warm the tongue. I am puttin it on everything.

Protip: use this as salad dressing.

That poo poo is the bee's knees.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

My go to mustard for the longest time was Woeber's Hot & Spicy mustard, it's not actually hot at all but I really enjoy the flavor.

Is this the one you're talking about? If so, that is hands-down my absolute favorite mustard ever. I love it so and can't recommend it enough.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

wormil posted:

Is that Woebers available in the States? I've never seen it.

It is. It was very common around where I grew up in southern CT, and I've found it in two separate Harris Teeter stores here in NC. Just keep an eye out for it at different supermarkets.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I know it's not hot sauce, but my wife bought me these tortilla chips the other day. They are like nuclear-hot doritos. Just a couple had me hiccuping. They hurt so, so good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pioneer42 posted:

How long do dehydrated peppers keep? I have some Peruvian habaneros which are about at eight months in the jar now. I think they have lost a little bit of kick over time, but they still look just fine. Is there anything to watch for other than visible mold?

Nah, but when you cut them open to use them, peep the insides. I've had peppers mold from the inside out before.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Megasabin posted:

For spicy mustard aficionados-- Woeber or Beaver? They make all the same times of specialty mustard. Anyone ever compare the two?

Woeber's Hot Mister Mustard is my absolute favorite mustard of all time. I can put that stuff on anything. Seriously, give it a try. Small round jar with a red cap. It's the best.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

a foolish pianist posted:

I made a container of Trini pepper sauce:

About 15 or so habaneros, a head of garlic, a bunch of cilantro (can't get chadon beni up here), a few tablespoons of yellow mustard, and cider vinegar, blended up with a bit of salt. This stuff is simple and delicious, and I put it on everything.

That looks amazing. Since it's that many habaneros, is it face-melting?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

wormil posted:

I have some Tabasco Sriracha and it 'farts' (for lack of a better word) everytime I open the cap. Basically air puffs out. If wait 3 or 4 minutes before opening it will spurt Sriracha all over the place. Why is it doing that? Previously I bought the brand with Chinese? writing and I don't remember it doing that.

It's a fermented product, and it continues to ferment as it sits. Part of fermentation is the release of gas, which is what you're releasing when you open the container. It's perfectly normal and perfectly safe.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Here's a cool video from Epicurious blind-comparing cheap vs. expensive hot sauces. Definitely worth a watch, and that guy absolutely knows his stuff.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One of the latest episodes of ATK had a recipe for hand-pulled noodles with a spicy chili oil vinaigrette that looked absolutely awesome. Here's the recipe:

CHILI VINAIGRETTE

10 to 20 bird chiles, ground fine
½ cup vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin
1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns
½ cinnamon stick
1 star anise pod
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons black vinegar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
4 quarts water
1 tablespoon salt

Place chiles in large heatproof bowl. Place fine-mesh strainer over bowl and set aside. Combine vegetable oil, garlic, ginger, peppercorns, cinnamon, and star anise pod in small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until sizzling. Reduce heat to low and gently simmer until garlic and ginger are slightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Pour through strainer into bowl with chiles; discard solids in strainer. Stir chile oil to combine and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and sugar until combined.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Link here. I think the water is just for boiling the noodles, added them to the list by mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I find the floral, fruity flavor of raw habaneros to be my favorite of any chili pepper. The fact they're very spicy is just the cherry on top.