Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

thotsky posted:

Do people have good suggestions for smoked chili sauces or chili sauces made with smoked peppers? I love chipotle sauces, but it's hard to find ones that are not too sweet or taste like a cuminy blended taco. I love the Chipotle Tabasco, something like that with more heat would be great.

https://freakshowfoods.bigcartel.com/

I like this one a lot but it’s fruity rather than chipotle.

I tried Marie Sharps smoked habanero and it was really disappointing. Tasted like they added liquid smoke. The only Marie Sharps I’ve disliked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The only reason I’ve saved my bottle is to maaaaaybe try just a few drops in a whole batch of chili or something like that.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Democratic Pirate posted:

Marie Sharp’s is good and Melinda’s is bad, correct?

Because my grocery store only had Melinda’s :(

Melinda’s is perfectly fine taste wise. I really like their ghost pepper buffalo sauce. It’s the principle of the matter that’s the problem.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
If I had to pick one hot sauce for the rest of my life it would absolutely be Marie Sharp's.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

ExiledTinkerer posted:

https://thekenyancafe.com/ Very Tasty with Heat being a distance second concern. Honestly my new likely staple so long as the sole local butcher shop keeps inexplicably stocking it and the drought of Piri Piri sauces continues yet again.

Anybody got any contemporary feels for whether Bravado Spice Co's Black Garlic Carolina Reaper and/or Ancho Masala Scorpion Reaper are actually worthwhile for their taste and character or do they ultimately just devolve to Heat Gimmickry?

I have a bottle of the black garlic in the fridge right now and I think it’s too hot. Maybe someone with a much higher tolerance can get enjoyment out of it (like the poster above that I just read after posting this) but for me it’s too hot to add flavor without blowing out what I put it on.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

mischief posted:

We like the Garlic & Árbol from Bravado Spice for popcorn, especially with a ton of good butter on it. It's not terribly hot but it pairs really well with the sweetness of popcorn.

Goya's Sazonador Total is surprisingly good on popcorn as well but isn't really in the hot sauce spirit of this thread. It is however cheap and available anywhere and also serves to be basically cheat mode on sous vide proteins.

I'm sure the msg helps it along. I always keep some Accent handy.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I started a ferment of mango, habenero, ghost peppers, etc a couple days ago. I had some mangoes left over and so got some more habaneros and did a quick, fresh mango habanero sauce. I hadn't done that before, for whatever reason, but it turned out great and is easy to do. Highly recommended.

I used:

Mango
Habanero
Garlic
Shallot
Salt
Tiny bit of pineapple
White vinegar

Blend in the vitamix for about 5 minutes, let cool, bottle. Delicious.

Edit - If using a non-highspeed blender maybe run it through a sieve before bottling.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 20, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Do we have a fermentation thread? I'm pretty sure this batch is toast but this could possibly be yeast maybe? I have a ph test kit coming tomorrow.

I think the seal was loose where the bubbler sits into the fermentation jar.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 3, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Soul Dentist posted:

It's here hidden with some canning stuff.

I would scrape and taste but I'll eat almost anything, including ground beef left out overnight.

Thanks for that, posted over there.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Jhet posted:

That's toast. And it's some sort of mold. Yeast will make the brine go cloudy and not be a problem. There are many molds that can be useful in fermentation, but unless you add it yourself or you're making cheese where you're washing it, you don't want it in your ferment. Even with a low pH there's a decent chance the toxins would already be in your ferment.

Yeah I think we've reached a consensus. RIP

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
That’s odd, I would have thought a food city like Singapore would have some good/interesting options.

Maybe everyone just wants chili oil (which is very good)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
For eggs I like Marie Sharps regular or grapefruit pulp.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Anything fermented is also good on eggs

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Ghost Cactus posted:

This box looks surprised by its bounty.

Anyone have recommendations for lower-sodium store bought hot sauces? Family member is on a very low sodium diet and they miss hot sauce.

We’ve tried this and it was a hit
https://www.salsas.com/herdez/products/hot_sauce/herdez-avocado-hot-sauce/

Might have to order this
https://mariesharpsusa.com/products/mango-habanero-sauce

I don’t know about salt but Marie Sharp’s is my favorite hot sauce. My wife and I discovered it on a trip to Belize in 2008 and I’ve had some variety of Marie Sharp’s in our pantry since. It’s just excellent.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

bolind posted:

I got the itch to try to make Baby's First Hot Sauce at home - anyone got some good beginners' recipes?

Maybe a habanero pineapple? Should be only a few ingredients and it's a fresh sauce so you're just blending stuff together. Plenty of recipes online.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

jaadee posted:

Sorry to interrupt homemade hot sauce chat, but https://karmasauce.com/ has a bogo sale on one of their most popular sauces, Ghost Island. Karmasauce's recipes have apparently been all over the Hot Ones youtube show as of late but I fell off watching it some time ago so missed the train. I came across it when a local tamale shop did a full reorg and devoted an entire wall to hot sauces.

Ghost Island is mustardy and I love it with sandwich meats especially ham. Hot enough for me that I get sniffly when eating it with tortilla chips but never accumulates to discomfort. Tough to stomach the usual local price of $12 though considering how fast I rip through a bottle so half off means I'm stocking up.

Just got my bottles a couple days ago and it's a very competent Caribbean style sauce! Thanks for the recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
What recipe did you use?