Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I made this sauce awhile back using 2 habeneros and it was too mild. So I added 4 more and it was still too mild. That's 6 drat habeneros so I don't know if the sauce is just incredibly well balanced or I got some bogus habeneros. The sauce is really good though, just needs to be hotter.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/mango-habanero-barbecue-sauce.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I removed the seeds because I didn't want them in the sauce.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

FATWOLF posted:

2tsp of seeded habaneros in over 3 cups of other stuff is weak as hell. that recipe will never be hot.

That's what I needed to know. I rarely use habeneros because my wife hates spicy food.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mostlygray posted:

The mango really dulls the heat. When I do my roasted Tomatillo salsa, I use 3 to 5 whole habeneros (seeds and veins) for 1 quart. 3 makes it pleasantly hot and 5 makes it exciting. It's amazing how sweet ingredients take down the heat (carrots, fruit, etc.)

Exciting is the goal. I can't wait to make another batch.

On another note, I've never worked with dried habaneros. My neighbor gave me some dried habeneros and dried cayennes and I want to make a chili powder but am unsure of what kind of ratios. I've made the Alton Brown recipe many time and my family loves it even though they are not lovers of spicy food so I'd like to stay near the same heat level. A little hotter is fine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Lime and cilantro, forget the vinegar. Really though, make it how you like it as you'll be the only one eating it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Picked my first jalapeno from the garden and sliced off a piece to try, it wasn't what I was expecting. Two glasses of milk and two spoonfuls of sour cream later my eyes are still watering and my mouth is on fire. There wasn't even seeds or pulp in my slice, just green pepper. I thought I had some tolerance but either these jalapenos are hotter than normal or they are some other kind of pepper. They are exciting hot. Can't wait to make hot sauce from them.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hard to say, they look like jalapeno. Maybe I'm a big sissy from eating too many store bought peppers.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Peppers are super super easy to grow.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Squashy Nipples posted:

People don't seem to believe me when I tell them this, but I've spent a lifetime eating hot food, and I've never once had that problem.

I believe you, I've never had that problem either but I have the metabolism of a snake.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I didn't even know that was a real thing until now, always thought it was a joke. So your butthole seriously burns?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
[[ Please wait, retrieving information... ]]
drat, it sucks to be you guys. :laugh:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Doom Rooster posted:

Very simple recipe:
4 Ghost peppers w/ seeds
3 Small roasted red bell peppers
1 Medium pickled carrot (from a bottle of my homemade pickled jalapenos/serranos)
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup champagne vinegar
1/4 cup water
1Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp granulated garlic

I'm going to save this recipe. It's blended, not cooked or anything?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Supermarket had Peri-Peri Hot on clearance, drat this stuff is delicious. I'm going back to see if they have any left.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
At the rate I'm eating it I'll have to make my own. It's so fruity and delicious.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This stuff is poo poo. Not The poo poo, just regular ol' poo poo (bland).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

But Not Tonight posted:

it's kroger brand hot sauce, I mean come on :|

That's no excuse for this level of blandness. I've bought other things of their Private Selection that were fine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Or soak in buttermilk and drink the vodka.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Is that Woebers available in the States? I've never seen it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I put dried habenero in vinegar to make a spicy vinegar for whatever. They reconstitute and I assume the peppers are safe pretty much forever as long as they are submerged? I don't refrigerate it and I'm still alive.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jmcrofts posted:

This is my current fav sauce:

Not really as hot as the label would lead you to believe, but VERY flavorful and delicious. I think some grocery stores carry it now, or if you're lucky enough to live close to a Nando's restaurant they'll sell it to you there.

I love Peri-peri. Nothing quite matches the fruitiness.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Are you leaving or removing the pith/seeds? Leave them in for more heat.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm not as hardcore as most of you but I bought a bottle of Tropical Pepper Co Ghost Pepper sauce and it is cooking my rear end in a good way. I put about a tablespoon on my hamburger and that was probably too much, had to wash it down with a glass of milk and my forehead was beading up but it was fun and exciting. Spicy but with a nice fruity peppery flavor.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

COOL CORN posted:

there's gotta be something to get the same je ne sais quoi as a hot-sauce-laden wing.
Nope. You can simulate a burger but there is no substitute for a hot wing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You left off the sardine

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pioneer42 posted:

Well, if you've preserved all you need already, you stuff them with cheese and sausage.

Mmmmmmmmm! Coincidentally that's tomorrow's dinner.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

iospace posted:

Horseradish isn't capcasium.

I think that was the point.
"...has a massive capcasium tolerance..."

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

. You don't buy beer that has a little cartoon slider of how drunk you'll get

But maybe they should, that would be 100,000 on the lol's scale.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have some Tabasco Sriracha and it 'farts' (for lack of a better word) everytime I open the cap. Basically air puffs out. If wait 3 or 4 minutes before opening it will spurt Sriracha all over the place. Why is it doing that? Previously I bought the brand with Chinese? writing and I don't remember it doing that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
After watching the video by Bon Appetit on making hot sauce I'm going to make some. He used Fresno and habenero but I want medium heat and fruity. Any specific recommendations on peppers and ratios thereof?

At the local supermarkets, selection is usually limited to habenero, jalapeno, anaheim, bell, occasionally serranos. There is a real Mexican grocery nearby, I was there yesterday, but they don't have much more selection in fresh peppers. This weekend I'll check the farmer's market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjCeAbWKPo

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Found a Mexican farmers market.
$2 worth of peppers.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeesh, lets resuscitate this thread. I haven't started fermenting yet because it seems like something that can be hosed up easily if not done right and I want to read a little more. But I did make papaya habanero sauce. I don't know why but my blender wouldn't really give me a good puree and it ended up a bit pulpy. But no matter, it eats the same. Some papaya, 2 habaneros, 1 red jalapeno, some garlic and onion, a few spices. Lime juice and vinegar. I could have easily added another habanero but I wanted to keep it medium because I'm not the only person eating it. The papaya wasn't as ripe as I would have liked and was tart, so the sauce is more acidic than I'd like so I might add a little sugar. I'll try it on food first and see how it goes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Thanks. It is delicious but not hot enough. I might add 2 more habaneros, reblend and cook it for a few minutes. I added some to pizza sauce tonight and it was really good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Liquid Communism posted:

Fermenting's pretty easy, you just have to observe really basic sanitation, on the level of 'wash your jar and peppers'.

Good. It looked easy but then I started reading /r/fermentation and suddenly it felt complicated.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Day 3
90% red/orange peppers, Habs, red jalapeño, & cayenne, but the couple golden cayenne really stand out for some reason. Also couple of garlic cloves in there. Smells amazing already.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
FYI, jalapenos washed, dried, and put in a tupperware will last a long time in the refrigerator and be as crisp as the day you picked them. I've kept them for several weeks with no problems.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

dis astranagant posted:

Very few people know how to begin a piece of technical writing. Even $300 textbooks gotta ramble on about god, mother and apple pie for 20 pages before they get into anything you might want to know.

That's how writing is taught in college now. My wife is getting a degree in technical writing and they basically teach how to write mommy blogs. If I'm reading your technical article, I don't need to be sold on the why it's important and how I should feel about it, I'm already here reading it. SOLD. Let's get to the info. /rant

I keep a box of those cheap polyethylene gloves like they use in cafeterias and they work well cutting up hot peppers. I still wash my hands before touching sensitive body parts.

Also anyone who hasn't tried fermenting their own sauce should give it a go. My homemade hot sauce lights up my brain like nothing I've ever had from a store, I think it's the umami.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ben Nevis posted:

I started my first batch this week and I'm hype. It's a mix of random peppers from the farmers market. Some cayenne, hungarian wax, weird purple ones, some that may be aji amarillo, and red jalapeno.

Same, they don't even label them here so I fill up a bag for $5 or however much they charge.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ogarza posted:

Much improved this time

I'm going to have a load of cayenne peppers soon and already bought 3 bags of unsalted peanuts, can't wait to make this. How well does it keep in the fridge?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ogarza posted:

Also 3 bags, holy crap... what you see in that pan was enough to fill 3 mason jars...

Yeah I bought the peanuts long before seeing your post, no idea why I even mentioned it except to express enthusiasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Can I do a lactoferment with peppers I froze last year?

Yes. Should probably add some fresh ingredients for insurance. Lactobacillus can survive freezing but most of them will die.