Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Cholula on eggs was one of my go-to breakfasts for a long time, but I recently bought a bottle of Valentina Extra Hot (which isn't actually all that hot) and it has basically replaced all Cholula/Tapatio/etc style sauces in my life.

What's a good entry point into habanero-based sauces? Right now I just use Valentina as my general purpose hot sauce, Crystal for beans/Louisiana foods, and Huy Fong chili garlic sauce, so I'm missing something in the fruity/zesty category. I can take more heat than what I've got in the pantry but I'm not really ready for :piss: levels of heat either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Valentina Extra Hot is excellent. A bit more heat than the regular stuff but not super hot, but it's also very smooth. Adds a bit of acidic bite but doesn't really taste vinegary by comparison.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
On the basis of the habañero recommendations I asked for earlier, I picked up a bottle of Marie Sharp's Fiery Hot and a bottle of Yellow Bird. Tasted both straight expecting nothing but agony and they were both... really good! The Marie Sharp is hotter and tangier, while I think the Yellow Bird has a bit better flavor thanks to the garlic.

Made a sandwich by pan-frying some leftover porchetta and combining homemade mayo with some Yellow Bird. It's excellent. Now I'm thinking about the Yellow Bird ghost pepper sauce that was next to it in the store.

Is this how an addiction starts?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
:doh: hyperforeignism strikes again

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
:eyepop: it's like $6 here in Texas (for obvious reasons I guess)

But I'll second that it's pretty good.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have the Oxo recommended here. It's... okay, I guess? Interestingly, ATK hated it. Their main complaint was having to reverse crank a lot to keep things moving, which is my experience as well (at least with skin-on tomatoes). I've never used any other food mill though, so I don't have much basis for comparison.

Those of you who make hot sauces, do you have any issues with lingering capsaicin on your food mills or blender carafes? I'd buy a second one just to be safe but apparently my blender's replacement parts are hard to come by.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
As someone who asked the same question a while back and got the same recommendations, I can vouch for basically all of them.

Valentina Black Label is my go-to Mexican red sauce thanks to this thread and has basically replaced Cholula's, Texas Pete's, etc except for on Cajun food, where I just have to use Crystal or Louisiana Hot Sauce.

I've also become a big fan of Yellowbird and I will third their yellow habanero sauce. Their sriracha and ghost pepper sauces are great as well. The ghost pepper sauce is fairly approachable, the heat is not overwhelming at all and it has a rich smoky flavor. Great on burgers.

For me Secret Aardvark pushes a lot of the same buttons as Kutbil-Ik, which is way easier to find locally for me, but it's still pretty good.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Lol I just bought a bottle of Melinda's Scotch Bonnet and opened it yesterday

Kroger isn't doing returns right now but I wonder if "learned the company is a bunch of thieving shitheads" would have counted under their satisfaction guarantee

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Kroger has a pretty depressingly bad hot sauce aisle near my house. Pretty much the only thing I ever get recently is black label valentina. I ran to walMart for a quick supply run last week and saw bottles of the xxx hot Mayan yucateca sauce and picked up 3 bc I haven't had it in months.

Love that smokey habenero flavor. :hellyeah:

I actually can't remember which store I bought this at (did a double run) but I figured Kroger would carry the joke better :v:

Mine has a large selection in terms of shelf space, but it's nearly all Mexican or Louisiana mass-market stuff. They do have some varieties of El Yucateco and Melinda's. No Crystal. As a NOLA-area native I'm surprised at how annoying it is to find Crystal just one state over.

These days I'm mostly doing Valentina Black Label, Kutbil-Ik, and Yellow Bird Sriracha. Trying to broaden my horizons a bit and thought I'd find something a bit more Caribbean-inspired.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

uber_stoat posted:

this stuff is a good Caribbean style sauce if you can find it. I just get it from amazon.

Oh drat my Kroger does have that. Forgot they have a smallish Caribbean section with some additional hot sauces, but I remember seeing it now.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I made wings. First time with my new air fryer.

Sauce was a big spoonful of gochujang, enough honey and rice vinegar to roughly double the volume and loosen it up, and a modest glug (a teaspoon or so for 10 wings) of Bravado Black Garlic Carolina Reaper. I added a heavy grind of black pepper and a shake of garlic powder to round it out. It was delicious and the heat levels were just right.

The skin didn't brown up quite as well as I like and it felt a bit "gritty." I used Kenji's blend of 1 tsp/lb each of baking powder, salt, and corn starch, which ended up feeling like a bit much, so that's probably why. It was still crisp and tasty though.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
That sounds awesome.

I made wings again for the Superbowl. I sauced them Buffalo-style with Valentina Extra Hot. They were good but I was thinking about that gochujang the whole time.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'll second Secret Aardvark, and Yellow Bird makes good ones in sriracha style squeeze bottles. I can vouch for the ghost pepper (awesome on burgers, hot but not painfully so) and habanero varieties.

e: their actual sriracha variety is good too

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I got as far as "England" and then lol'd

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Soul Dentist posted:

Crystal, Cholula Green, Yellowbird Serrano Condiment, Valentina Extra Hot, Nando's Piri-Piri, El Yucateco Xtra Hot. Marie Sharp's entire line, Tabasco chipotle.

Except for Crystal they're all at my lovely local grocery store and all worth having. Crystal I gotta go to a different Kroger but it's my favorite Louisiana style (just slightly above Louisiana :ironicat:)

I was going to post almost exactly this, even down to having to go to a different store because my nearest Kroger doesn't carry Crystal.

Get out of my pantry!

Don't sleep on Sriracha or chili crisp either

Oh also the Yellow Bird ghost pepper sauce is excellent on burgers and not too hot for what it is. Their whole line is good IMO.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Asking here instead of the gardening thread because I see there are pepper growers here, and my lines of questioning as much culinary as horticultural.

I'm getting a late start for (US) zone 9 but whatever, we can get away with a lot down here because we don't really have what the other, sillier zones call "winter." I was planning on planting the following:
Gatherers gold x2
Grenada seasoning x1
Zapotec jalapeno x2-3
Golden cayenne x1
????? x1

The "?????" was going to be more golden cayennes, but Refining Fire threw in some freebies with my order: Onza Roja and 7-pot bubblegum red. I'm curious about the Onza Roja. Seems like it's mostly a drying chile but could maybe be a stand-in for serranos in salsa? I do want enough jalapenos and cayennes to make some batches of fermented hot sauce and pepper jelly to gift out around Christmas time so I'm leery of spreading myself too thin.

I don't see any point in growing the 7-pots. I'm good up to habanero levels of heat. Beyond that I find that any flavor gets lost beneath "holy gently caress hot hot hot" -- and the threshold is much lower if I want anyone else in my family to eat it. Presumably a 1M SHU pepper would need so much dilution that it just becomes a heat source and any unique flavor would be lost, yes?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The onzas are bagged and set aside to germinate. I was mainly worried they were only good dried as that's most of what I read online. I don't want to buy a dehydrator and drying hot peppers in the oven will presumably get me murdered in my sleep so fresh/pickled applications are essential.

uber_stoat posted:

i love all Capsicum Chinense. my favorite plants in the world. they can kick my rear end up and down the street, i'm up for it.

I'll probably grow a hab or scotch bonnet once I narrow the field a bit. I'm the only one in my family who will eat anything spicier than restaurant salsa (although my 3 year old is working his way up :3:) so I'm going for a broader survey of mild-to-medium first to figure out what I might actually get some use out of.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I got my seeds from superhotchiles.com (purely because someone screenshotted their cart upthread) and they sell plants too, although they were all "coming soon."

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Threw some shishitos on the grill over some inferno-hot lump charcoal yesterday before I put on the main course. Hadn't made them in ages but y'all reminded me that they exist. 5/5 easiest appetizer ever, no pics because they basically vanished immediately.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Totally, if the roof of your mouth isn't hanging in shreds you've been missing opportunities

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Smugworth posted:

This before I discovered the giant bottles of Valentina Black Label (before I discovered Zindrew chili oil)

I was advised in this very thread not to sleep on the regular yellow label, and you know what? They were right. It's not as hot, but it tastes better.

Yellow Bird serrano is solid on eggs as well. I'm on a real kick with that stuff right now. It just goes great on everything.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The best sauce I ever made was a gochujang-honey-soy-garlic glaze. Don't have ratios for you, I just mixed poo poo until it tasted good. Honey-sriracha will hit a lot of the same notes with even fewer ingredients.

I once subbed Valentina Extra Hot in for Frank's, and honestly, that was pretty good, too. Might try it again with a squeeze of lime on top.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I finally pulled the remaining green tomatoes off the vine, because gently caress you it's New Years and you should have ripened when you had the chance. Had an idea to make a pickled green tomato and banana pepper relish. 50/50 mix of the two, plus garlic, black pepper, a big handful of dill, and a vinegar brine. Easy. I was already crafting an awesome tuna salad sandwich in my head.

I am pretty sure the "banana peppers" at the grocery store were actually some kind of hot wax peppers. Holy poo poo these pickles are hot. Decent flavor but nearly inedible beyond "very light snack" quantities.

And of course, I took no precautions when cutting these "mild" peppers and had napalm hands for the rest of the day, even after many rounds of olive oil and dish soap :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Some dumb insect (beetle probably) girdled my golden cayenne :mad: