Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I've been on a hot pepper kick lately, and went into GWS looking for some commentary on hot peppers. I didn't see much on peppers themselves, but I found this thread instead, which I'm really happy about. Inspired, I picked up:

Lao Gan Ma - Like you've said, absolutely delicious. Had it on some mixed stir fry the other night. It wasn't take your head off hot, which was nice. Is it me, or is there possibly Sichwan pepper in there, as I got a numbing in the mouth afterwards? Definitely going to keep this stuff around.

Valentina - I have to yet eat some more Cholula, but I didn't taste much difference between the two. Then again, I haven't had them side by side. They have bottles of Cholula at work that I eat on my boiled eggs every day, so it's hard to compare.

The El Yucateco green and the Double Seahorse (I found it as Double Golden Fish Brand with a near identical label) I haven't gotten into yet.

I made the habanero sauce that's linked here, and I'll definitely be doing that again. Instead of a mango, I used a peach, and I sauteed the peach in a stainless pan to get a good crust on the peach and a fond to scrape up for flavor. I also roasted the habaneros in the oven to blacken them a bit and mellow the flavor.

Thanks everyone for the advice. The hot sauces made the heat here in the Mid Atlantic a little more bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Eat one raw.

I had them in salsa. Good in hummus too.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

niss posted:

So pretty sure I screwed something up on my batch of peppers. I went to check them last night and noticed they had a white substance covering the entire top. I scooped out everything I could, but this morning it was back, not as bad, but it was still back. Guess I am just going to toss that batch when I get home this afternoon.

I just went to a kraut / fermenting class. They said that in fermenting, it's not abnormal for there to be a white substance on the top. It can be removed and the (cabbage, in this case) could be still eaten.

I'm not an expert, but I thought I'd chime in on it. They said if it was black, green, or like that of bread mold, throw it out.

Maybe making sure all the peppers are submerged?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Looks amazing.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I too just got a fermenting crock and would be interested in anyone's experience making hot sauces (or anything else, but that may belong in another thread)

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

I've met a couple from Barbados, friends of my girlfriend, who are really into hot sauces. He brought over the sauce to the far left, which apparently they make with cucumber in order to offset the hotness. I haven't opened it yet. Anyone familiar with this one?

In the middle is hot sauce they brought back from their last trip. It was made by an old master who made a ton of it and used to sell it in local grocery stores - it would sell out quickly. Unfortunately, he has since passed away, so they hope his son will carry on his legacy and they'll be able to return for more. :unsmith: It's quite hot, lots of scotch bonnet, but has a fruity, tropical flavor. There is fruit in it too, maybe mango. It's delicious!

On the far right is my own creation. Wegmans had a hatch chile weekend back in Aug, so I bought a case of it and thawed a bunch of roasted hatches out, pureed them with some organic cider vinegar and some onion powder. I need to work on viscocity, because my hot sauces are always more like purees or chutneys. I blend the heck out of them, so I guess it's just a matter of adding more liquid?

Anyway that's my hot sauce post and shout out to the sardine crew. :coolfish:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
We have Barbadian friends, and they bring us Bajan sauce, as well as top secret homemade sauce too. I like the freshness of the cucumber.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I made a mango fish pepper hot sauce the other weekend. Delicious.

Hey yall it's hatch Chile season coming up. I'm getting a case from Wegmans. :getin:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Dios Mio :magical:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I grow them every year here in Maryland. They're wonderful.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Agreed on the Valentina for boiled eggs.

There are a bunch of folks at work that like hot sauce, so I think I want to put an order together and split the shipping, but I have a few questions,

For online ordering, hotsauce.com or heatonist?

I want to try some new sauces, so I'm looking for recommendations. I know the secret aardvark one is a favorite of the thread, but any other "standards" that are recommended that one can't get in the store? I want something with good flavor, not just crazy heat or gimmick. Here's what I have right now:

Valentina
Melinda's (will finish this bottle and be done after reading about the recipe theft)
Sriracha (for pizza crust)
Sambal Oolek
Crystal
Louisiana
La Yucateca
Cholula Green and Red
Tapatio

I could use a little guidance. I know the Hot Ones sauce gets good reviews on the show, but is there a certain one?

I'll go back over the thread a bit, but would love to know current favorites that can't be bought in the grocery stores. Range of heat is fine from milder on up to about Ghost, but that's pretty much where I stop.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Made some homemade fire roasted triple pepper sauce last night for my fishing trip today. Poblanos, habaneros and fresnos. Threw some agave syrup and vidalia relish in to balance it.

Got back to the truck and found a bramble of raspberries and threw a few on the chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
We didn't catch any fish :smith: but it was a very nice day and I got to know the section of river better.