Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I buy way too many hot sauces way too often, and have found some good ones. here are a couple of my favorites recently :

the chili oil isn't exactly right I think, but this was the nearest thing I could find. the kind I have has like fried bean curd bits in it which are extra salty and crunchy, and a little sweet. so loving delicious, esp on dim sum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bunnielab posted:

Here is a question, I love mustard-based bbq sauces but I have never made one I am happy with. Can anyone recommend a good bottled brand for me to try? It's pulled pork season and I need something to get me started.

the stars probably aligned to make me post this for you.

been moving so didn't have any of my cooking poo poo with me, but needed dinner. bought a roasted chicken, some veg, and this mustard sauce : http://www.numnumsauce.com/ from a fancy grocery for an impromptu dinner. just got the normal, not the spicy one, as its all they had.

it's a pretty tasty mustard sauce. not as acidic, salty, or spicy as I like my mustard sauce, but the basic flavor is there, and it's from a Carolina producer. I'd order a bottle for 6 bux if you just don't know what you're even aiming for. maybe go for the hot.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bunnielab posted:

Thanks man.

I went and tried to order a bottle of each but then they seem to want $13 to ship $9 worth of sauce. My cheap heart cannot bear that.

thats gross, sorry. :( hope you find something somewhere...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bob Morales posted:

I know it's hot 'super loving hot' but I never learn my lesson with habanero sauce. Spiced up 1/2 cup of crappy restaurant salsa with a spoonful of this stuff, paid for it the rest of the night.

I think some part of me is dead inside. the green is hotter than the red, and I can just eat tablespoons of that stuff at a time without breaking a sweat. it's been a point of discussion with my girl and I recently, I keep on making dishes way hotter than normal she claims, and I've been insisting it's all the same. I don't know wtf. that brand makes some delicious hot sauces tho.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

I really dislike sriracha because it's sickeningly sweet to me. Cholula works pretty great though. It's got a nice flavour to it.

Also here is my favourite hot sauce of all time

this is an excellent post. I feel alone pretty often in my 'eh'-ness towards sriracha. I think the sweetness is what bothers me also. And that it dominates the flavor of everything it touches. but goddamn if it isn't good on eggs.

that said, thai chilies are the best. no beating them.

Sjurygg posted:

:kimchi:

Do you also just nibble on them when you can't be arsed to bring out a knife and a chopping board? :shobon: So good. I'm hooked to just mixing them finely sliced with a little fish sauce and nothing else, but all that salt...

:glomp: yeah most def. my girl thinks I'm crazy. my favorite sauce in the world is probably an intense nuoc cham though, which I learned to make at my first restaurant job. just thai chili, heavy on fish sauce, a squeeze of lime, mash a garlic, and a bit of sugar. I put that poo poo on everything. roasted veg, fried food dipping sauce, salad dressing, you name it.